Direct flights to the islands

eek

Apologies if there is a thread on this aready, having problems navigating on my phone.

Does anyone know all the various direct flight options for traveling to the islands from cm?

I know air asia offer direct to Phuket at a good price, but just wondered if there are any more direct options.

Plus...if anyone has any tips/suggestions/cautions or warnings about Phuket or other island that may be suggested, please could you reply. I will be a solo female traveller, so wish to make sure i will be safe.

Thanks so much!

Direct flights are limited.

I would avoid Phuket. 15-25 years ago it was awesome. It has turned into something altogether different. I will never go to Phuket again.

Have you been to Koh Chang? Koh Lanta? Koh Samui? Koh Samui is beautiful beyond words. Very safe for a single traveler. Had Kai Bae on Koh Chang is Paradise. Also very safe. So many choices...

• Like 2

I would avoid Phuket. 15-25 years ago it was awesome. It has turned into something altogether different. I will never go to Phuket again.

Have you been to Koh Chang? Koh Lanta? Koh Samui? Koh Samui is beautiful beyond words. Very safe for a single traveler. Had Kai Bae on Koh Chang is Paradise. Also very safe. So many choices...

Koh samuiis overpriced ain't that nice. Koh chang yes. Krabi yes. Phuket town yes phuket pattong NO. too many rude tourists and touts

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looks like it's just Air Asia and Bangkok Airlines http://www.domesticflightsthailand.com/ChiangMaitoPhuket.htm

Just getting from the airport to your hotel will be your first challenge. Far too many scam taxi artists and con men. Meter taxi is the cheapest taxi method, shared minibus is about the cheapest, there are public bus options to Phuket Town or Patong, but schedule is few and far between. Most options involve a stop at a tourist trap trying to sell hotel rooms and tours. And don't believe anyone who tells you the place you booked does not exist/closed/or don't know that place. Best of luck.

I don't recommend staying in Phuket, but I recommend flying to Phuket. Then connect to anywhere along the Andaman coast (islands or mainland). That whole looks more stunning that Samui. As it's Air Asia, it can be cheap when booked far in advance.

Plan B would be fly to Samui, (direct on Bangkok Air), then connect to Ko Pha Ngan.

Plan C: Fly to Suvarnabhumi, then bus to either Samet, Hua Hin or Ko Chang. Not sure if you can get a bus direct from the airport to Samet (Ban Phe/Rayong), or Trat (Ko Chang) you'd have to look into that. Definitely buses direct to Hua Hin and Pattaya.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I don't recommend staying in Phuket, but I recommend flying to Phuket. Then connect to anywhere along the Andaman coast (islands or mainland). That whole looks more stunning that Samui. As it's Air Asia, it can be cheap when booked far in advance.

Plan B would be fly to Samui, (direct on Bangkok Air), then connect to Ko Pha Ngan.

Plan C: Fly to Suvarnabhumi, then bus to either Samet, Hua Hin or Ko Chang. Not sure if you can get a bus direct from the airport to Samet (Ban Phe/Rayong), or Trat (Ko Chang) you'd have to look into that. Definitely buses direct to Hua Hin and Pattaya.

Well she did say "islands" which is why I only mentioned islands. But since you mentioned Hua Hin, there is a place 5 hours south of there - Ban Grood that is very beautiful and quiet. Also very safe. Eek, PM for pictures, details, prices, etc. if interested.

Fly to Phuket.

make a booking for a hotel/resort NORTH of Phuket well before you leave.

Arrange for the hotel taxi to collect you - fixed fare.

Places like Koh Lak etc are delightful. might not be the best season now, but avoid Phuket!

Let me step in and support my place/choice of life style. Yes, Phuket gets a bad rap for scams and it is well deserved. Starts from when you collect your bags and walk through the baggage hall doors. But for the seasoned traveller and locals you just brush off the touts and if a single traveller on a budget then just take the shared mini bus direct to your destination, Yes, there is a stop on the way to try and sell you something, but just smile and ignore.

Folks have suggested Kao Lak, Lanta, and Krabi. Let me tell you we had a break in Kao Lak in May and Lanata in March - both are deadsville in the low season and the beaches don't remotely compare with the west coast beaches on Phuket island. And why have all that extra travel time if on just a few days break. Mini bus to the southern end of Phuket, cost 180 baht, time about an hour, 90 minutes max. Even in the low season there is plenty of life and activities here. Just this morning we had our daily walk about Chalong Pier about 08.30 and I was astonished at the number of tourists waiting at various muster points to get on a tour boat. Many hundreds.

So eek, just use a bit of common sense, bit of caution, and you will be safe. Most important - avoid Tuk Tuks and Jet Skis. Best of luck.

The "many hundreds" would put me off straight away!

post-51-0-81068200-1374407587.jpg

• Like 2

I might have been a bit harsh about Phuket in my earlier statement. I just miss the old days 20-25 years ago when I would often visit and stay in Karon, Patong, etc. There was not much in Karon in those days and it was a great beach to stay at. Kata was very, very quiet... The development that has happened there in recent years has destroyed so much of the beauty of the place. But I did enjoy my stay in Nai Yang for the 1st time last year and would recommend it there. But even up there they were putting up the signs in Russian the day we left... And last month my friend spent 5 days in a place called Cape Panwa and sent me many photos. It looked VERY nice. He stayed at a place called the Regent Phuket Cape Panwa which looked very nice. He said there were no Russians but many wealthy Chinese. But IMHO Patong, Karon, Kata, etc. should be avoided these days as there are too many scammers, hustlers, pimps, mafia types, Russian tourists, etc. Just my 2 Satang.

• Like 1

Well she did say "islands" which is why I only mentioned islands. But since you mentioned Hua Hin, there is a place 5 hours south of there - Ban Grood that is very beautiful and quiet. Also very safe. Eek, PM for pictures, details, prices, etc. if interested.

Bangsapahan just south of Bankrut is a nicer place IMO, we go there quite often.Its got an island "feel" at a fraction of the price www,bangsaphanguide.com check out the photos. Accom from 300 baht for a beach side cabin up.By car we do BS from HH in 3 hours safely

I might have been a bit harsh about Phuket in my earlier statement. I just miss the old days 20-25 years ago when I would often visit and stay in Karon, Patong, etc. There was not much in Karon in those days and it was a great beach to stay at. Kata was very, very quiet... The development that has happened there in recent years has destroyed so much of the beauty of the place. But I did enjoy my stay in Nai Yang for the 1st time last year and would recommend it there. But even up there they were putting up the signs in Russian the day we left... And last month my friend spent 5 days in a place called Cape Panwa and sent me many photos. It looked VERY nice. He stayed at a place called the Regent Phuket Cape Panwa which looked very nice. He said there were no Russians but many wealthy Chinese. But IMHO Patong, Karon, Kata, etc. should be avoided these days as there are too many scammers, hustlers, pimps, mafia types, Russian tourists, etc. Just my 2 Satang.

I was wondering what she was expecting in the way of life style.

If a relaxed atmosphere is what she has in mind she might want to try some of the places south of Hua Hin

such as you have already mentioned.

Continuing the OT banter....

I first went to Koh Samui in 1977. I spent two weeks on the beach at Ao Thong Takian (between Lamai and Chaweng).There was no electricity, no running water and the road was just a muddy track. But, the sand was soft and clean. The water was clear and gentle; the snorkeling good fun. Fresh seafood from the fishing boats anchored in the bay was magnificent. Home-brew lao cao in old Coke bottles was 5 baht.

I had a marvelous time.

Last week I spent a few days on the same beach. Yeah, there's more development and lots more people, but the sand is just as soft and clean as I remember it. The water is clear and the snorkeling still fun. (I even spotted a good-sized grouper just sitting on the bottom in less than a meter of water.) Although the seafood is a bit dear, it's still fresh and delicious. The 5 baht lao cao is long gone, but the beer is cold and there's ice for the G&Ts.

I had a marvelous time.

• Like 1

Koh samuiis overpriced ain't that nice. Koh chang yes. Krabi yes. Phuket town yes phuket pattong NO. too many rude tourists and touts

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

May be depending of, what the OP is looking for. Koh Samui & Koh Phangan, for example, has something the other islands do not have, vice versa...

• Like 1

As usual racism has to loom its ugly head when not necessary.

Thanks all. I decided to put off an island trip for now. I had just flown in from a UK visit, was jetlagged and tired and looking for something relaxing and stress free, before returning to Chiang Mai. After reading up a bit i ended up just resting in bkk a while then flying back to cm. The island idea seemed more like stress than i had planned!

Thanks all. I decided to put off an island trip for now. I had just flown in from a UK visit, was jetlagged and tired and looking for something relaxing and stress free, before returning to Chiang Mai. After reading up a bit i ended up just resting in bkk a while then flying back to cm. The island idea seemed more like stress than i had planned!

Actually the islands are far from stressful. The problem is that this is not a good time of the year to go as it often rains for days on end and one ends up hanging out in the hotel room watching TV. Best to go after September.

Actually the islands are far from stressful. The problem is that this is not a good time of the year to go as it often rains for days on end and one ends up hanging out in the hotel room watching TV. Best to go after September.

facepalm.gif Samui rainy season is October - November