Thailand to become party to Madrid Protocol to protect IP rights

webfact

Thailand to become party to Madrid Protocol to protect IP rights

BANGKOK, 22 July 2013 (NNT)-The Ministry of Commerce is trying to make Thailand a party to the Madrid Protocol in an attempt to protect intellectual property rights for Thai inventors.

Department of Intellectual Property Director General Patchima Thanasanti said that ASEAN nations have committed to joining the Madrid Protocol, as the realization of ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) will allow free flows of goods and labors across the borders. As cheap labor becomes abundant, the prices of products will decline.

Mrs. Patchima is concerned that this would lead to violation of copyrights on Thai products. The Madrid Protocol has been seen by ASEAN as a tool in keeping intellectual property rights intact.

According to her, it would also make obtaining international copyrights easier for members as any potential candidate will be required to pay a one time fee only. Once Thailand becomes a party to the Madrid Protocol, Thai products will be protected in 80 countries worldwide.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-22 footer_n.gif

Violation of copyrights???

Where does Thailand get off with this nonsense.

Why would any country want a treaty with Thailand, knowing full well that any of its citizen going to Thailand, has no real rights, subject to racism, etc... The mind bobulates blink.png

Service is requested but not reciprocated.

This is another example of a government who does not enforce rules and agreements in their own country, on one hand, and expects everyone else to honer their rules like copyright laws and infringement, on the other hand. An example of this is the movie video pirates who sell movies at malls etc. here in Thailand.

The Madrid Protocol is similar in spirit to the Berne Convention for the Protection of literary and Artistic Works. This is also intellectual property. I believe that a country must prove they are upholding such agreements especially if you have a handle like “Intellectual Property Director” grrrrr

Edited by CIHUAHUA
  • Like 1

ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) will allow free flows of goods and labors across the borders. As cheap labor becomes abundant, the prices of products will decline.

Does that mean that they wont have to pay the 300 b per day to labor from other ASEAN countries?

I have rarely seen anywhere in Bangkok that isn't within spitting distance of hitting something that has infringed a copyright somewhere from the girls carrying fake bags to the dvd bootlegs to the t shirts that have been ripped off and had one letter purposely changed so they can claim they didn't infringe anything. It's ridiculous ! I laugh my ass off when Thai people complained about other people infringing their rights. 'Treat others as you wish to be treated' as my mother always tells me...Start doing something about all the fake crap here first, but then there would be riots in the streets if the police really clamped down properly, Thai people seem to feel it is their right to rip off foreigners in every way imaginable. ....And by the way, what in the world has Thailand ever done that is worth copyrighting ? Nothing immediately comes to mind, someone more knowledgable please enlighten me, PLEASE, I WANT TO KNOW....

I have rarely seen anywhere in Bangkok that isn't within spitting distance of hitting something that has infringed a copyright somewhere from the girls carrying fake bags to the dvd bootlegs to the t shirts that have been ripped off and had one letter purposely changed so they can claim they didn't infringe anything. It's ridiculous ! I laugh my ass off when Thai people complained about other people infringing their rights. 'Treat others as you wish to be treated' as my mother always tells me...Start doing something about all the fake crap here first, but then there would be riots in the streets if the police really clamped down properly, Thai people seem to feel it is their right to rip off foreigners in every way imaginable. ....And by the way, what in the world has Thailand ever done that is worth copyrighting ? Nothing immediately comes to mind, someone more knowledgable please enlighten me, PLEASE, I WANT TO KNOW....

I've been trying to think of anything the Thais have invented. Someone suggested Red Bull (!) but that's just another energy drink and they've been around for years. There's Muay Thai I suppose but even that is really just abusing the rules of the noble art of boxing by kicking like you would in a school playground scrap.

The only thing I can think of is being governed by an exile. Even Napoleon had to return home to manage that.

• Like 1

I've been trying to think of anything the Thais have invented. Someone suggested Red Bull (!) but that's just another energy drink and they've been around for years. There's Muay Thai I suppose but even that is really just abusing the rules of the noble art of boxing by kicking like you would in a school playground scrap.

The only thing I can think of is being governed by an exile. Even Napoleon had to return home to manage that.

Red bull was a copy of lipovitan

• Like 1

Well I was going to say Red Bull but if you're right then maybe not. Red Bull is slightly different than the original Thai drink as far as I know which from what I've now read is only similar to Lipovitan so it's a not entirely sure that Red bull can be counted.

The only other other thing that might count are the patents held by the king related to cloud seeding and a waste water aerator. Of course he wasn't born in Thailand and most of his education took place outside of Thailand but at least that should be able to be counted.

Other than that I can't help.

Well I was going to say Red Bull but if you're right then maybe not. Red Bull is slightly different than the original Thai drink as far as I know which from what I've now read is only similar to Lipovitan so it's a not entirely sure that Red bull can be counted.

The only other other thing that might count are the patents held by the king related to cloud seeding and a waste water aerator. Of course he wasn't born in Thailand and most of his education took place outside of Thailand but at least that should be able to be counted.

Other than that I can't help.

There are of course patents granted. The best I heard of was a Thai engineers who was granted a patent to do with PC video cards, but his was gained while in the USA.

Are there Thai brand that people rip off? I heard solex locks are copied sometimes. At the end of the day for copyright, Thailand is the abuser more than the abused. Just look at tat advertising. You think they pay royalties for anything they use?

Lipo was around long before krating daeng.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Anyone faking Thai products?

Which products would these be?

Som Tam, but made in clean conditions with clean hands and not tasted during preparation with dirty fingerslaugh.png

We live and learn silly me, here was I thinking the Thais ripped som tam off from Laos.

Som Tam, but made in clean conditions with clean hands and not tasted during preparation with dirty fingerslaugh.png

We live and learn silly me, here was I thinking the Thais ripped som tam off from Laos.

Well, then, thats out. Any other products you like to suggest?

How about a poke in the eye, I'm sure we can all relate to that. smile.png

Hey, you never know, perhaps we can all meet up one day and shoot the shit, I for one would love to meet some people here, I'm sure we would have a lot in common, I'm very approachable.....

Joking apart, we did have a ThaiVisa pissup a couple of years ago and nobody turned up. whistling.gif

Self damaging jetskis

Automatic cigarette butt depositer.

Dual action taximeter

Farangled - dictionary entry

et al

Edited by CHANGOVER

Self damaaging jetskis

Reverse action taximeter

et al

The thing is, people will start racking their brains for Thai inventions or global brands overt the next few days and there aren't many.

I mean, no one even wants to pass their own rice as Thai anymore. What's left?

Self damaaging jetskis

Reverse action taximeter

et al

The thing is, people will start racking their brains for Thai inventions or global brands overt the next few days and there aren't many.

I mean, no one even wants to pass their own rice as Thai anymore. What's left?

The only thing I can think of is a bong, thats since been adapted as many now use large coke bottles.

Just to clarify. Madrid protocol refers to trademarks and such. The system Thailand uses for patent application/filing is already party to a major international treaty.

Again we do not understand. The whole process is to get money allocated for the trip to Madrid, and to set up a committee to monitor the protocol. It is not about actually enforcing the trademark requirements under the protocol. That could be done until after the sub-committee under the committee did the study and made recommendations to the committee, who after approval would forward it to the ministry for approval and submission. This process would require an additional staff of at least 100.

Democracy at work. coffee1.gif

The Madrid Protocol is administred by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) and WIPO is located in Geneva, Switzerland. The "Madrid Protocal" has nothing to do with Madrid in Spain.

The Madrid Protocol allows a national of a member state after having filed a trademark application in his own country, to apply for a so-called "International" trademark at WIPO, which would extend to all countries of the convention the aplicant chooses. After that, the International Trademak goes to each country the applicant has designated for examination and publication for opposition.

The Madrid system basically symplifies the procedure for obtaining trademark protection in a large number of countries. It heps to reduce cost because there is no need to file a separate application in each country.

It has, however, nothing to do with copyright or patent or design, just trademarks.

It is true that there may be a lot of pirate goods here (although I suspect most are made outside of Thailand) but there are some great design products created by Thais. Young Thai interior designers show great promise and great style. Yes, I agree, the Government needs to realise that being a signatory means protecting the IP rights of all people regardless of nationality.