Giving birth on Wednesday

richy2201

Good afternoon,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, however I am interested to hear any advice / experiences concerning giving birth in Thailand in particluar on a Wednesday.

Myself and my G/F have just been to the hospital and been advised that due to medical reasons, the doctor (and my G/F!) would prefer to have a C-section booked in for next Wednesday. No problem thus far....however on returning back to the house my G/F has just spoken to her mother on the phone (Bangkok) and she just about hit the roof (unfortunately not with joy) as from what I can understand is that her Mum and some of her family believe this to be bad luck (not the C-section but giving birth on a Wednesday).

While I am very respectful of others beliefs etc. this has caused (unnecessarily I might add) my G/F to get worked up. Has any other TV members experienced anything similar concering birth of child?

Many Thanks in advance for any replies

We believe think Wednesday is weaker than every day, not strong day

Who brith this day will little bit unlucky but not really unlucky

But if who brith Wednesday night ( I don't know for sure what time start) that it will be weakest time

It same as not good to cut hair, nail on Wednesday...unlucky don't know why

• Like 1

You think the childbirth date issue is difficult, wait until you build a house and try to get everyone to agree which way the various rooms must face, you'll end up building it on a turntable in order to satisfy everyone.

But to answer your OP, the young lady above has the correct answer, it's the chronological equivelent of fung shui.

Private hospital push for c-section as they can make more money, I'm guessing Wednesday is convenient for the doctor.

Government hospitals push for natural birth unless there really is an emergency as they are free.

Recovery is much quicker from natural birth.

I'm guessing that as you have been advised to have a c-section you are footing the bill in a private hospital.

Totally unnecessary, use a government hospital at no charge, and spend the money you save on baby.

Good luck (and congratulations) whatever your choice.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

There are many of these "cultural" myths which are believed by many Thais.

I would suggest you and the g/f, if at all possible, reschedule the birth to a more "auspicious" day.

Maintaining family harmony will be worth the effort!

Attempts at rationalising he situation will, I guarantee, fail!

I reckon you could google a famous or successful Thai who was born on thst day to debunk the myth. FYI, the belief is that it is bad luck to cut anything on a Wednesday. Go see how empty hair salons are on that day. Maybe this rule applies to umbilical chords. You haven't even got around to the bit where you sleep with the placenta, or avoid showering for weeks yet.

Thank you for your replies.

I had heard, as mentioned in one of the posts that cutting hair etc is unlucky on a Wednesday, so perhaps this could be the reason (cutting umbilical cord?)

I should point out that the C-section is for medical reasons as we would have gone for natural birth.

Thanks again for all help, much appreciated!wai2.gif

Maybe the Doctor chose this day for the C-Section (translates as 'Expressway') because no other Thai would have their child born on this day and his book was clear.

Such is life in Thailand ... choose to fight it if you wish.

My advice is to go a day a day earlier.

Up to you ... rolleyes.gif

OH ... apparently, it's auspicious to die on a Saturday!