bees nest

Forkinhades

Hi all

Need some advice, I have this nest in the garden

post-45135-0-25897300-1374517860_thumb.j

Not sure if bees or hornets.

Now I have a 4 year son running about, which is my main concern.

So do I burn them? if so will government do it?

Some say these are sweet bees and are lucky, and should leave alone.

If I do burn any contacts in the Pattaya area?

Edited by Forkinhades

I'm surprised that you haven't had offers for the hive. They are worth money even if if it's a hornets nest. Ask someone from Issan (m/cycle taxi driver?) whether he can help. I'm sure he'll find someone who can.

Or take a stroll down Pattaya Tai and find one of the dudes that have the mobile hives selling honey - they'll be able to help I'm sure.

• Like 2

So do I burn them?

Smoke is definitely not the recommend way for dealing with a swarm. You can only use smoke for a hive. If the bees form a colony in your tree, and you feel that they should not be there, you need to get them into a box/ container.

If you don't know what to do, try to contact the bee keeper at www.raitongorganicsfarm.com and hopefully he will put you in contact with someone in your area.

Edited by Morakot

If they are bees and not wasps then they will be worth money. An active hive should only approached in the evening when it's cool. Wasp nests can be burnt out and there are chemical sprays that block their entrance. Bees are good because the pollinate plants.

If they are bees and not wasps then they will be worth money. An active hive should only approached in the evening when it's cool. Wasp nests can be burnt out and there are chemical sprays that block their entrance. Bees are good because the pollinate plants.

Wasps are also good....

• Like 2

Had a wasp nest in an old growth tree on my land. Within 30mins of the word getting out in the village a local came and offered 200 baht for it. Wrapped himself up and prised the nest into a box and took it away. Apparently the larvae (grubs) are a delicacy.

Do some research on proper procedures but usually you will smoke them to make the bees less inactive and then burn the nest. If want the honey then you would need to find a locale bee harvester. It is said that when the bees waive on the nest they are agitated and its the first sign of a potential defensive attack.

There is a similar nest in the fort park on Chao Phraya river near pier 13. I have been photographing it daily for months waiting to see when Thais finally remove it. This nest is anchored to a 25 cm wide branch. post-110863-0-47393000-1374637732_thumb.post-110863-0-73255500-1374637751_thumb.

• Like 1

See if you can find someone to move it, but if not, the bees don't move on by themselves, and you really want to get rid of them, get a spray bottle of Pyrethrin or powder available at gardening supply stores. Either natural pyrethrin or synthetic (more often available now) will be OK. A spray bottle is probably best because you don't have to be closer than about 2 meters, and just set the sprayer on a jet rather than mist, and spray often until they all drop. It won't take long.

I had two swarms in my bird nesting boxes, and no local beekeeper wanted them, so there was only one choice.

As background info, if ever bees are in an enclosed space, like ceiling cavity, pyrethrin powder puffed into the entry will flatten them in a couple of hours.

Bees don't like mobile phone signals, they may move if you have a long phone call close to the nest, it happened with a bees nest I had above the ceiling of the veranda, every time somebody had a long call there they came out in swarms.

Had one in my garden. Coming from Africa and quite at home with aggresive African honey bees I was sure these "smaller in size" little dudes were of no harm. I went quite close, about an arms length away and a couple of them immediately broke off from the main group and proceeded to sting me. There was zero provocation from me apart from being close. I have been this close to African bees with absolutely no consequence on numerous occasions so in my book they are very aggressive. Sting was not as harsh but I was told afterwards they would swell badly but this did not happen.

I asked a Thai guy that does maintenance work for me on occasion to deal with them, which he did. They are not a swarm looking for a home as mentioned by a previous poster (As some bees do when on the move), that is their home as you will find their honey comb under the mass of bees which is very white in colour and the honey is wonderfully sweet as the guy who dealt with them brought back for me to try. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how it was done as I was not there. I too would be concerned if I had a four year old son with these little devils around. I could quite easily see them all stinging him if he got too close and was not quick enough to get away quickly if they did. Get rid of them and if possible without killing them all.

I live in Buriram and have a big garden.

I have nests of bees and hornets all the time left and right.

Stay away from them and don't try to be the handyman!

It can really be tricky business.

Here in the Isaan I just tell the locals and they come in the evening to take them so they can eat either the honey and/or the larveas. (bees: honey and larveas, hornets: larveas)

They use as said before a long stick with a cloth dipped in gasoline or whatever burns good and the burn them when the want to get out of the exit of the nest.

Don't try to do this yourself I advice.

Let them do it. They happy, you happy and safe.

They know what they are doing because this is something the locals do since forever.

Maybe in the Isaan easier to find people to do so because people here live closer to nature than in many other parts of Thailand.

Just don't do it yourself.

In case they are hornets they can even kill you local people here told me.

Good luck.

I'll echo the above, don't try and fix it yourself.

Find the local 'bee man', slip him the relevant pictures of His Majesty and the problem will go away.

In my (limited) experience the local bees are pretty innocuous, don't bother them and they won't bother you, wasps/hornets are a different matter!

• Like 1

We have had a large hive in a tree in front of the house for over a year. Thai's believe that having a hive on your property is very good luck. Maybe it is true as my wife won Tb10,000 in the lottery the week the bees set up house.

Killing them would be a crime, and your Thai neighbors would consider it a great sin.

They are not aggressive unless you are cutting on the tree they are in or making a very loud noise, like a gas powered hedge trimmer. But if you don't want them there are people that will come smoke them and remove the hive.

Right now the state of Bee keeping in Thailand is being promoted by the Royal family (from news I saw a year or 2 ago) But in any case please do not let the locals take and destroy the swarm or nest. Do contact a local bee keeper if possible (Your local Wat might know) to have it moved. If they are wasps,,,,,

We have had a large hive in a tree in front of the house for over a year. Thai's believe that having a hive on your property is very good luck. Maybe it is true as my wife won Tb10,000 in the lottery the week the bees set up house.

Killing them would be a crime, and your Thai neighbors would consider it a great sin.

They are not aggressive unless you are cutting on the tree they are in or making a very loud noise, like a gas powered hedge trimmer. But if you don't want them there are people that will come smoke them and remove the hive.

never met a Thai who thought it was a sin to eat any animal.....including the larveas of the bees.

If I have a beenest in the garden and I let some people know, people que up to get them.

Never had any comments coming from my neighbours either.

But hey..... I live in the Isaan.

might be different than in other parts of the country.

Here people eat anything that moves (or ever moved).

I'll keep the lotery story in mind though....smile.png

I blew up your picture some and teh type of bees you have (long: black front, yellow mid, black rear, I've seen attending a nest live in a market while it is being sold for the young and the honey. This would indicate that type of honey bee is not the same bee as the small (3/4 cm) aggressive more aggressive bee.

I vote leave it alone or have a bee keeper handle it for you.

post-110863-0-64066900-1374887954_thumb.

post-110863-0-76161400-1374887970_thumb.