19 dead in Thai bus smash: authorities

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The truck crossed from the opposite lane of traffic and hit the bus," said local police officer Lieutenant Colonel Assavathep Janthanari, adding that a pickup truck behind the bus had also been involved in the crash."

Read again:

This has nothing to do with the safety standards of the bus or the pick-up truck,

If a cement truck is crossing the lane from the opposite direction, no safety standards can help you anymore.

The only safety that could have avoided this tragic accident would have been safety barriers in the middle of the road.

But that would have only shift the accident to the other side of the lane.

Wrong! There are many safety standards that come into play here. Was the truck overloaded? The news article says "cement truck" but we have no indication what that means. Was it an overloaded pickup? What about safety inspections for large trucks? What about driver training and qualification and standards such as keeping log books and restricting the number of hours one can drive? Those are safety standards in force in many countries. They are the law because of incidents such as this in those countries, including my own. Of course, we hear enforcement mentioned repeatedly, so I won't dwell on that. You are correct, however about the barrier, but that calls into question traffic engineering in this country. Traffic engineers here should be held accountable. They're criminally negligent.

How can you overload a cement truck,when it' full you can't fit any more in.

As a tourist whose never traveled on these types of buses before, i'm assuming there are no safety briefings on how to open the windows in case of an emergency (assuming I'm not physically incapacitated)? smile.png

"The truck crossed from the opposite lane of traffic and hit the bus," said local police officer Lieutenant Colonel Assavathep Janthanari, adding that a pickup truck behind the bus had also been involved in the crash."

Read again:

This has nothing to do with the safety standards of the bus or the pick-up truck,

If a cement truck is crossing the lane from the opposite direction, no safety standards can help you anymore.

The only safety that could have avoided this tragic accident would have been safety barriers in the middle of the road.

Wrong! There are many safety standards that come into play here. Was the truck overloaded? The news article says "cement truck" but we have no indication what that means. Was it an overloaded pickup? What about safety inspections for large trucks? What about driver training and qualification and standards such as keeping log books and restricting the number of hours one can drive? Those are safety standards in force in many countries. They are the law because of incidents such as this in those countries, including my own. Of course, we hear enforcement mentioned repeatedly, so I won't dwell on that. You are correct, however about the barrier, but that calls into question traffic engineering in this country. Traffic engineers here should be held accountable. They're criminally negligent.

How can you overload a cement truck,when it' full you can't fit any more in.

You have wonder about peoples logic some times louse.. Maybe he was carrying a shipment of gold coins instead?

What a terrible way to die! Trapped in a burning bus.

And to all the Thaibashers show some respect and save your comments for another thread!

Tragic.

How big would an inferno like this have to be so that no one survived? Something not quite right here.

Big enough for the bus to have been reduced to it's bare metal, as described in the OP. What many people miss is that in a fire such as this, substandard materials such as the fabrics that seats are made of, give off highly toxic smoke. One or two good lung fulls of black toxic smoke and you are a gonner! Almost instant incapacitation will take place where you are unable to orientate yourself, there is an automatic breath reflex to get clean air quickly, which simply means ingesting more toxic smoke and bam, you are not getting out of any crashed bus, regardless of how strong or clever you are. You need someone to pull you out or next you will die (hopefully before the burning starts.

I am making a big assumption at this moment but is it likely the bus was packed with propane tanks? Most are and most trucks have 10 or 12 of them behind the cabins.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

RIP to the victims and families, full recovery to the injured. Another grim reminder instructing us to use airplanes for long distance travel in Thailand if budget allows. My family and I haven't set foot in a public coach or mini bus in Thailand for a full decade now. Whenever we have to go anywhere, we either go with our own car or take a budget flight.

I remember that I woke up once in a so called VIP coach, travelling from Bangkok to Surat - wished I would have stayed asleep since what I saw made my blood freeze. Within a period of 30 minutes we had at least 3 close calls, one with another coach that came straight at us on our side of the highway crossing in opposite direction to cut through a u-turn to his lane. Our driver almost lost control of the bus and you could hear horns honking all over the place. It ws like in one of those "Final Destination" horror movies... We later took the train back to Bangkok - but as latest developments showed, this is not a very safe option either... In the end - when our time's up, it's up - not much we can do about it, but we don't have to invite death by using public transport, given that our budget allows.

• Like 1

I am very sorry for all concerned -- I know that Saraburi area well traveling on the bus route. Someone earlier in this topic said: There is nothing for a farang to do. Only one thing maybe: Try not to ride buses or travel on the roads at all during the late night hours through early morning hours.

Edited by JLCrab

First time I got on a Green Bus (CM to CR) I noticed a painted position next to the rear emergency door where a breakout tool was missing from the wall.
I politely asked the hostess where the tool was.
"Oh"
.....and she went wandering around the driver compartment looking under things. Later she came back but said nothing.
"So what about the tool?" I politely asked.
"Couldn't find it" she said, walking away.

BTW!
****Off topic comments removed.****

Edited by metisdead

Two in one day. Banner headlines, but little or no action on regulating the bus owners or their drivers safety standards. Stay alive tourists, don't take the bus or the trains these days.

Yes, it seems that Thailand is not for any long-distance surface travel.

Yes the roads are the biggest killer with all the crazy driving that goes on, every country in the world has the same problems only some more than others but we also must think about the country to population to accidents ratio and I think it would probably pan out to some degree.

RIP to the deceased.

RIP to the victims and families, full recovery to the injured. Another grim reminder instructing us to use airplanes for long distance travel in Thailand if budget allows. My family and I haven't set foot in a public coach or mini bus in Thailand for a full decade now. Whenever we have to go anywhere, we either go with our own car or take a budget flight.

I remember that I woke up once in a so called VIP coach, travelling from Bangkok to Surat - wished I would have stayed asleep since what I saw made my blood freeze. Within a period of 30 minutes we had at least 3 close calls, one with another coach that came straight at us on our side of the highway crossing in opposite direction to cut through a u-turn to his lane. Our driver almost lost control of the bus and you could hear horns honking all over the place. It ws like in one of those "Final Destination" horror movies... We later took the train back to Bangkok - but as latest developments showed, this is not a very safe option either... In the end - when our time's up, it's up - not much we can do about it, but we don't have to invite death by using public transport, given that our budget allows.

exactly, if i can afford transport other than the bus i cant afford to go at all.

one trip from pattaya to Bangkok at night seated in the front row was enough.

There is something ominous about pick-up truck in Thailand.

And all these innocent victims...

The10 years old on motorbikes are way less threatening....

R.I.P. to the people killed in this terrible accident.

What is ominous about pickup trucks in Thailand? Most victims in accidents are innocent.

This was a case of a cement truck hitting the bus head on. No fault of the bus driver and certainly not the pickup driver who was following the bus.

I beg to differ. as do most sensible drivers I like to maintain my braking distance from anything in front of me. I appreciate that that is a very difficult thing to do in Thailand where passing on the inside (suicide?) is common. A characteristic trait of Thais is their me, me, me attitude. If you hit something up the ass in the UK then bang goes your no claims bonus - if you survive.

Read again:

Remember it was a bank holiday.

19 dead, 22 hurt in Saraburi bus tragedy
By English News

13745557811168.jpg

BANGKOK, July 23 -- Nineteen persons were killed and 22 were hurt as an inter-provincial bus collided with a 22-wheel trailer truck in Saraburi and burst into flame.

Police said a double decker Bangkok-Roi Et bus collided with the truck around 5am on Mittraphap Road, Kilometre 19 in Thap Kwang subdistrict, Kaeng Khoi district.

The crash was a head-on collision involving three vehicles -- the bus, the trailer rig and a pickup truck, police said.

The bus erupted into flame immediately after the crash.

The bus driver and the second driver were among the dead. The injured passengers were sent to nearby hospitals.

According to the initial investigation, the trailer truck crossed from its lane to hit the bus head on. The bus belonged to the government run Transport Company. The pickup truck following the trailer truck could not stop and crashed into the rear of the trailer truck.

Police said the road was slippery due to rain and it was sloping down from a hill.

Emergency workers removed the wreckage of the three vehicles from the road and traffic reopened normally. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-23

Read again:

19 dead,no way 19 would have died with impact injuries,there was no rear exit from that bus in all probability

<snip>

This is not limited to road traffic. Have you noticed in Big C, Tesco, etc that people push their carts out the end of an aisle into "cross traffic" expecting it to be clear, and only if a collision results, issuing a "khor tot?"

It seems Thais play the odds that oncoming traffic (or shopping trolleys) will not collide with them, and the odds generally work in their favor. Maybe it's the converse of the "drive defensively" campaigns in the west?

I think it's the ability to think ahead that is missing. Just like bikes leaving sois to join a bigger road usually don't stop and simply assume there will be room for them.

• Like 1

What a terrible way to die! Trapped in a burning bus.

And to all the Thaibashers show some respect and save your comments for another thread!

Tragic.

How big would an inferno like this have to be so that no one survived? Something not quite right here.

Big enough for the bus to have been reduced to it's bare metal, as described in the OP. What many people miss is that in a fire such as this, substandard materials such as the fabrics that seats are made of, give off highly toxic smoke. One or two good lung fulls of black toxic smoke and you are a gonner! Almost instant incapacitation will take place where you are unable to orientate yourself, there is an automatic breath reflex to get clean air quickly, which simply means ingesting more toxic smoke and bam, you are not getting out of any crashed bus, regardless of how strong or clever you are. You need someone to pull you out or next you will die (hopefully before the burning starts.

I am making a big assumption at this moment but is it likely the bus was packed with propane tanks? Most are and most trucks have 10 or 12 of them behind the cabins.

All not very reassuring

They manufacture cars and trucks here. Why are they even remotely allowed to use substandard materials.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I drive for 2.5 years I drive 100 kms per day on the same busy road with 3 or 4 lanes (on each side). There's a mix of motorcycles, buses and trucks on the same road. Some car and fully loaded minivans drive 140 km/h and some trucks 20 km/h. Motorcycles slalom between the traffic. There are U-turns at several places. People use the wrong lane for taking a U-turn and the wrong lane for turning. Motorcycles and cars drive against the traffic.

Almost every month I see dead people. The first deadly road accident I ever saw was in Thailand. I was shocked.

After seeing so many accidents I got used to it. When we drive by car and we see another body covered with a blanket, we just say "oh, too bad" and go on with with talking about what we were talking before.

Thai people that live around here saw so many deadly accidents, they got used to it. It's like a normal part of life and nobody cares to do something about it.

It's depressing when you start thinking about it, so I guess most people just choose not to think at all.

What is really terrible is that the worst drivers are "professional drivers": bus drivers, minivan drivers, songthaew drivers, taxis and motorcycle taxis. It shouldn't be this way.

Edited by kriswillems