reading some threds

pigeonjake

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of pigeons...I have a few turtle doves that follow me around the garden, and when I turn on the sprinkler system, it is so funny to watch them.

They lay together on their backs with wings spread, on the grass under the sprinkler, and cool themselves down....

That's one of the enjoyments I get out of living in my bubblethumbsup.gif

Sorry SC you have made a mistake Thai's hate us.

That's it then back to the home country where I am loved.

StreetC,

To expand on this further, I am a fan of a particular point of view. This man has Thailand nailed perfectly and although I am absolutely not a fan of the Stickman site, I had a friend turn me on to this guys point of view. He is 100%.

His name is Shark. Read here: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Pattaya-shark-man.htm

He explains my point of view.

Yep, that 'Shark' character is a lovely specimen of humanity. To quote: "I'm free. I can say, "Fxxx you" to the world. I don't have to wear a shirt. I don't have to abide by the rules and if I do break the rules I just pay. It is one of the only places in the world where I really do feel free. I fxxx up all the time but I pay. It beats going to jail. In Australia I would be in jail. I could throw you off my balcony and pay my way out of it. Bullshit my way out of it somehow. You know that. "

So this is the guy you look up to? The guy who doesn't care about local norms and rules and culture and just wants to do things his way because he can? No wonder you have bad experiences with Thai people. Can I assume you also live in Pattaya?

This is how you make your point?

Never said he was a role model.

Not hardly, but I am saying he understands Thailand.

StreetC,

To expand on this further, I am a fan of a particular point of view. This man has Thailand nailed perfectly and although I am absolutely not a fan of the Stickman site, I had a friend turn me on to this guys point of view. He is 100%.

His name is Shark. Read here: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Pattaya-shark-man.htm

Yep, that 'Shark' character is a lovely specimen of humanity. To quote: "I'm free. I can say, "Fxxx you" to the world. I don't have to wear a shirt. I don't have to abide by the rules and if I do break the rules I just pay. It is one of the only places in the world where I really do feel free. I fxxx up all the time but I pay. It beats going to jail. In Australia I would be in jail. I could throw you off my balcony and pay my way out of it. Bullshit my way out of it somehow. You know that. "

So this is the guy you look up to? The guy who doesn't care about local norms and rules and culture and just wants to do things his way because he can? No wonder you have bad experiences with Thai people. Can I assume you also live in Pattaya?

This is how you make your point?

Never said he was a role model.

Not hardly, but I am saying he understands Thailand.

I must live in the other Thailand - maybe the same one that Pigeonjake lives in. My experience of Thailand is generally positive.

SC

StreetC,

From your quoted article "I could throw you off my balcony and pay my way out of it. Bullshit my way out of it somehow. You know that. "

Explains your point of view does it?

So you want to cherry pick an item that is obviously absurd. But I don't expect you to get the point.

The man understands Thailand, how the people are, and how the Thai system works.

I'm here by my own choice.

No blame.

I like it here.

I like Thailand.

I plan to stay.

But this does not mean I must like ALL the crap in Thailand.

Things I don't like I critisize.

Usually, criticism is not from hate, but rather love.

Those who do not agree are rather indifferent. The worst kind of people. And the most dangerous too. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

StreetC,

Well that was an interesting article. Of course, the shark dude wasn't talking about Thailand--just Pattaya. And in particular, bargirls. I found this quote from the shark dude particularly insightful:

"A Thai girl once told me a lie is not a lie if it is told in English. Only if it is spoken in Thai is it considered a lie. English means nothing to them and they see us as weak."

"A Thai girl once told me a lie is not a lie if it is told in English. Only if it is spoken in Thai is it considered a lie. English means nothing to them and they see us as weak."

She was lying when she told him that, the correct Thai way is,

A lie is only a lie if you get found out (the language is not important).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

She was lying when she told him that, the correct Thai way is,

A lie is only a lie if you get found out (the language is not important).

I can see some truth in what the shark dude was saying. For example, when a Thai girl says "I love you" in English. It certainly won't have as much meaning to her as when she says it in Thai. Try it. Figure out how to say "I love you" in some other language. You can say it to someone and it won't mean squat to you. Same with curse words.

StreetC,

Well that was an interesting article. Of course, the shark dude wasn't talking about Thailand--just Pattaya. And in particular, bargirls. I found this quote from the shark dude particularly insightful:

So what you are saying Pattaya is unique in Thailand and what happens in Pattaya only happens in Pattaya?

Agreed that certain things may be unique to Pattaya but the point I am making is that same Thai attitude described by Shark is throughout Thailand.

StreetC,

So what you are saying Pattaya is unique in Thailand and what happens in Pattaya only happens in Pattaya?

Agreed that certain things may be unique to Pattaya but the point I am making is that same Thai attitude described by Shark is throughout Thailand.

My opinion, of course, but to answer your question, "yes" Pattaya is unique. The Thais in Pattaya especially. There seems to be much more mercenary types down there than, say, Chiang Mai. You ever notice that most folks in Pattaya aren't from Pattaya?

StreetC,

My opinion, of course, but to answer your question, "yes" Pattaya is unique. The Thais in Pattaya especially. There seems to be much more mercenary types down there than, say, Chiang Mai. You ever notice that most folks in Pattaya aren't from Pattaya?

Point taken.

StreetC,

If they do not come from pattaya, it means they come from whole of thailand. So that proves Markaew's point. Without both of you realizing it. Funny !!

• Like 1

I give the naughty nightlife in Bangkok another 5 - 10 years, here maybe not much longer. It'll go because the country doesn't need it. Thailand is way past the days of tuna, pineapples and bargirls. Today the economy is diverse, sophisticated and seeing real growth. And all of the growth in tourism is away from the nightlife. It's going to get squeezed out. - Shark

Something positive from the article.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

I give the naughty nightlife in Bangkok another 5 - 10 years, here maybe not much longer. It'll go because the country doesn't need it. Thailand is way past the days of tuna, pineapples and bargirls. Today the economy is diverse, sophisticated and seeing real growth. And all of the growth in tourism is away from the nightlife. It's going to get squeezed out. - Shark

CCC

You have been reading too many headlines which are meaningless to begin with.

Economy diverse, sophisticated, all sounds impressive but will not happen any time soon. I contend that the AEC will butcher Thailand and they will digress. I predict Myramar will leapfrog Thailand. There are many Myramar people that live in my vicinity and work in the local factories. They are smarter and work harder than the Thais.

As for Shark, I disagree with that statement as well. Thais are spend freaks and will always run out of money. I think he has job security.

StreetC,

If they do not come from pattaya, it means they come from whole of thailand. So that proves Markaew's point. Without both of you realizing it. Funny !!

The mercenaries go to Pattaya or Bangkok. The nice girls stay in the Boondocks. Surely that is much more plausible than a belief that PAttaya is a different country?

SC

Mercenaries ??? More like lazier and complacent. If you would ask a BG; are you a mercenary ? She would not understand and would say sabai sabai. Its just how it is. Its ingrained in their upbringing, the poor 1s at least, that they need to provide for their families. IMO the 1s with a normal, relatively low paying, job, are the danger 1s for many foreigners. IT IS NOT A BG !!!

"e name="Markaew" post="6649047" timestamp="1374759689"]

CCC

You have been reading too many headlines which are meaningless to begin with.

Economy diverse, sophisticated, all sounds impressive but will not happen any time soon. I contend that the AEC will butcher Thailand and they will digress. I predict Myramar will leapfrog Thailand. There are many Myramar people that live in my vicinity and work in the local factories. They are smarter and work harder than the Thais.

As for Shark, I disagree with that statement as well. Thais are spend freaks and will always run out of money. I think he has job security."

Myramar ?.

Presumably you mean Myanmar who must be "smarter" due to their whole 5 years of compulsory education. Most students drop out after this time so how do they get so "smart".

You also state that Thais are spend freaks and will always run out of money, I would love to know the average monthly spend of a Thai compared to any Western country. You will probably find that the majority of the Western world has been spending far beyond it's means for a long time, far more than Thailand.

I predict Myramar will leapfrog Thailand.

That's where you lose your credibility and show yourself to be firmly anti-Thai. It's like predicting that Mexico will leapfrog the USA. The Burmese come to Thailand looking for work, not the other way around. This will not change in our lifetimes.

Scully....

I found in my dealings with Myanmar workers...they are more motivated and willing to learn than workers here.

Of course, when taken into perspective,(in my view) Thais are now coming into the same problems as western worlds...earn X and spend Y, but not controlling "Y".

Average Thai people are already spending more than they can afford...that's obvious when you consider where their incomes are going at the moment....cars, toys, housing that's over inflated, and the likes.....unfortunately...

Berkshire....

The Myanmar workers are working because they will....and the money goes out of Thailand, to Myanmar. Now they have changed their direction at home, they wont need to work here anymore within a few years. Industry will follow suit.....don't you think?

• Like 1

Some are now too frightened to post anything funny anymore.....

I better consult with Transam, (hopefully he is not Grumpy today), and can liven up the general topics.

I am a bit grumpy this week...had a tooth out...face still very swollen after days of being uncomfortable.

I predict Myramar will leapfrog Thailand.

That's where you lose your credibility and show yourself to be firmly anti-Thai. It's like predicting that Mexico will leapfrog the USA. The Burmese come to Thailand looking for work, not the other way around. This will not change in our lifetimes.

I predict that there will be many more general predictions.

• Like 2

Scully....

I found in my dealings with Myanmar workers...they are more motivated and willing to learn than workers here.

Of course, when taken into perspective,(in my view) Thais are now coming into the same problems as western worlds...earn X and spend Y, but not controlling "Y".

Average Thai people are already spending more than they can afford...that's obvious when you consider where their incomes are going at the moment....cars, toys, housing that's over inflated, and the likes.....unfortunately...

Berkshire....

The Myanmar workers are working because they will....and the money goes out of Thailand, to Myanmar. Now they have changed their direction at home, they wont need to work here anymore within a few years. Industry will follow suit.....don't you think?

I think you're comparing low-skilled Myanmar workers to equally low-skilled Thais. In comparison, I can tell you that in the USA, most businesses will say that Mexican workers (illegal or not) work harder than the average American. But these are desperate workers willing to do anything for minimum wage (if not less). The kind of work we're talking about are work that Americans (and Thais) don't necessarily want to do.

As for Myanmar the country, man, they are so way behind Thailand there's not even a comparison. I'm not sure that the entrenched corruption (worse than Thailand) can be overcome in the next decade. There's optimism, certainly, and I would love to see those guys succeed. But it's all talk at this point. Just because they can speak some English only makes them a step below the Philippines, and we know what a complete basketcase that place is.

Berkshire....

Thais have to understand that they have to work the low esteem jobs, before they can evolve to be in the same situation as Americans, to not have to do the meaningless jobs...the same as most western countries. But the work curve must be in place first....and the best thing about it all is , they can learn from the mistakes made in western countries over the last few years.....

Now we are really off topic here, and really, I have made my bubble here to do what I want when I want....it doesn't matter what Thais do, I am a guest in their country.....

• Like 2

I better consult with Transam, (hopefully he is not Grumpy today), and can liven up the general topics.

I am a bit grumpy this week...had a tooth out...face still very swollen after days of being uncomfortable.

Just to make you smile, at the Ubon Candle festival, organised by the TPD, I and a few other local farangs had to make Papaya salad whilst dancing, with the help of our wives, in front of thousands of locals and some dignitaries, for fun. Imagine the scene. We ended up on stage to the applaud of the crowd. It was witnessed by one of our members too, who was visiting me. thumbsup.gif ........biggrin.png

• Like 1

Just to make you smile, at the Ubon Candle festival, organised by the TPD, I and a few other local farangs had to make Papaya salad whilst dancing, with the help of our wives, in front of thousands of locals and some dignitaries, for fun. Imagine the scene. We ended up on stage to the applaud of the crowd. It was witnessed by one of our members too, who was visiting me. thumbsup.gif ........biggrin.png

Now ,,,knowing who that visiter (member) is....I knew there would be mischief going on. So that's why you have been so quiet lately..

BOTH putting on weight again?????clap2.gif