Cell tower finder

jbrain

As most of you by now now how crappy the 3G internet is in Thailand and I have no other option to connect to the internet I try to find which has the best signal at my home location.

I have a Galaxy Note smart phone and have installed Open signal and Signal finder apps.

When i do a manual network search on my phone it shows almost every network currently available in Thailand, but of course not their signal strenght.

So I had hoped with above named apps to be able to detect which signal is the strongest at my location.

Nope, all both apps do is show the signal tower of the provider from which the simcard is in my phone.

I have selected "all networks" and " 3G " but still it shows only celltowers from AIS, whereas a manual network search shows the networks from True/Cat, True H, TOT, Dtac, Gsm 1800,Thgsm, AIS and maybe a few more.

Someone can explain if I'm doing something wrong, as the apps show only the celltowers from a single network provider.

• Like 1

It's probably because the Apps can only use/evaluate the network you phone is currently connected to; it can't just look for any and all networks/frequencies your phone is not connect to. Where when using the scan within your Android operating system/firmware actually first disconnects from your service provider and then does a scan for any all networks/frequencies the phone is able to pickup....but although it can detect these other networks/frequencies it can only connect to your current service provider.

It's probably because the Apps can only use/evaluate the network you phone is currently connected to; it can't just look for any and all networks/frequencies your phone is not connect to. Where when using the scan within your Android operating system/firmware actually first disconnects from your service provider and then does a scan for any all networks/frequencies the phone is able to pickup....but although it can detect these other networks/frequencies it can only connect to your current service provider.

Well that's a bummer as it renders the app useless.

Any idea if there is an app that can scan all networks you phone can handle ?

• Like 1

On Play I saw a free app Signal Booster that may help. Has a 4.2 rating and some favorable comments.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to boost my signal, I want to find which provider has the strongest signal at my location. The sim will be in an aircard at a fixed location.

• Like 1

On Play I saw a free app Signal Booster that may help. Has a 4.2 rating and some favorable comments.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to boost my signal, I want to find which provider has the strongest signal at my location. The sim will be in an aircard at a fixed location.

Keep in mind that even if there is an App that identifies the signal strength of multiple service providers towers in your area, that won't guarantee that would be the fastest service provider to signup with in order to use that tower simply because that tower could be overloaded with too many users sharing the tower's bandwidth where another nearby service provider's tower which has a lower signal strength at you location has a lot few users sharing the tower's bandwidth which means you bandwidth/speed would mostly like be greater as long as the signal strength was adequate. Highest signal strength does not automatically equate to fastest speed. In fact, too much power/being too close to a tower can actually end up in lower bandwidth...and also being too close to a tower can result in lower signal strength due to the signal radiation/lobe pattern of the tower. Kinda like the Earth's distance from the sun....not too far away to turn the planet's surface into a mile thick sheet of ice and not too close to turn the planet's surface into molten lava.

But I definitely agree that tower signal strength is a good indicator (but not a guarantee by any means) of the quality/speed of bandwidth available from that tower based on your distance from that tower.

• Like 1

Try an app called "Network Signal Info".

That App only gives you info on your "currently connected network," mobile or Wifi. It won't tell you the various network operators/cell towers in your area.

Now a person can use the Signal Finder app to show cell towers around him, but I think that is based on database info combined with your GPS location versus the phone actually detecting signals from the towers. And the info is only as good as the info in the app's database.

OpenSignal does have a crowd-sourced "Coverage" feature. You can choose a specific carrier, and a specific service (2G, 3G). Based on the underlying technology these should be reasonably accurate.

I suspect there are similar web-based, crowd-sourced coverage maps. http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/TH/Thailand/AIS/gsm_52001

It might be more productive to simply spring 50 baht for a SIM, and 49 baht for a daily 3G plan to see what works in a specific location? Or just chat up neighbors.

• Like 1

OpenSignal does have a crowd-sourced "Coverage" feature. You can choose a specific carrier, and a specific service (2G, 3G). Based on the underlying technology these should be reasonably accurate.

I suspect there are similar web-based, crowd-sourced coverage maps. http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/TH/Thailand/AIS/gsm_52001

It might be more productive to simply spring 50 baht for a SIM, and 49 baht for a daily 3G plan to see what works in a specific location? Or just chat up neighbors.

That App also is not actually showing any real time signals of all towers in your area (except the one tower you are hooked to); it's just reflecting tower location info/test results from it's database based on User Readings from folks who have used the App and maybe other crowd-sourced databases....I guess the App feeds back user/test info to its central database....or like you said above, "crowd sourced." Preaching to the choir leader I know.

Like when I'm hooked up to my local DTAC tower it feeds that info (and any App Tests I may run) back to its database and then that info becomes lumped into the App's database for anyone to see on the App's Coverage Map selection.. It will also show the tower you are connected to/running a ping/download/upload Test against--but it's only a test against your service provider and you have no control over which tower your phone hooks up to. Like, hey I have a DTAC plan/SIM but I sure would like to connect to the True and AIS towers in my area to run tests.

So, other than the current tower you are connected to it's not giving a person real time info on various signal parameters from various towers in your immediate area....it's just giving info from its database submitted by other App users. But that can be really useful if you are thinking about switching carriers or moving to another location and would like to get some indication of what other OpenSignal users have reported from that area. But if no one in that area has been using the OpenSource app to feed back crowd-source info they I guess it could look like there are zero towers in your soon to be no new home.

• Like 1

I have actually no idea what crowd sourced means, and neither does google translate, but I select " all networks " and " 3G" and all it shows is 2 Ais signal towers in list mode and map mode.

I know I can buy a couple of sim cards but it still will not show my signal strenght and is quite a bit of a hassle, and by the way, I don't have neighbours biggrin.png

But if no one in that area has been using the OpenSource app to feed back crowd-source info they I guess it could look like there are zero towers in your soon to be no new home.

I think that explains my problem. Now if a phone can see all cell towers in the vincinity, then there must sure be an app that can do the same. Only thing is that I can't find it.

"Crowd sourced" means data collected from a lot/bunch/crowd of different folks. Like say 10 people have the OpenSource App installed and use it to test against their current tower connection....that info is feedback to the App's central database, mixed in, and then becomes available for you and others to see when using OpenSource App. So in this example the info was "sourced" from at "crowd" of 10 OpenSource App users.

But if no one in that area has been using the OpenSource app to feed back crowd-source info they I guess it could look like there are zero towers in your soon to be no new home.

I think that explains my problem. Now if a phone can see all cell towers in the vincinity, then there must sure be an app that can do the same. Only thing is that I can't find it.

Your App (the software) can only accomplish what the phone (hardware & firmware) will allow it to do.

If your hardware can only connect to one tower at a time and only to a network it's authorized to be on (i.e., a SIM issued by AIS, DTAC, True, etc), then you are only going to be able to connect to one-each tower at time...and only to a tower from your network provider. An App won't have the capability to override the hardware's operation aspects/limitations like say ignore the fact I have a DTAC SIM in my phone and connect to that AIS signal/tower instead so I can run some signal strength/bandwidth tests.

Edited by Pib

Just as FYI, you can install the Open Signal app on a 'Wifi only' and no built-in GPS tablet and still see cell tower locations/coverage because like mentioned earlier you are really just looking at the app's crowd-sourced database of info for most of the app's capability.

Sent from my tablet

I think the default setting(s) on some of these crowd-sourced applications is to share data, typically over a WiFi connection. So the user must choose to not share data. I totally agree that crowd-sourced applications are only as good as the one or 3 million who share their data. Honestly, it's just one single option for the OP. I still say that purchasing a few SIMs is probably a worthwhile investment, but this may be too straight-forward a solution for everyone.

post-9615-0-95674700-1374810863_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I agree actually testing with other carriers SIMs would be the best way to check the signal strength/bandwidth of that carrier based on the location(s) a person will predominately use the service. Using crowd-sourced apps like OpenSignal may not give really detailed info...or a person might misunderstand what the data is saying.

Like the above image lamatopo posted from the OpenSignal Network Rank "Simple" setting. Now notice that is approx. 3 million "readings" from users; it's not saying 3 million users. Heck, I expect several dozen of the readings are just from one user (i.e, me) are included in that Network Ranking when displaying the Simple Ranking info because I used OpenSignal several months ago and over the last few days. But no doubt there are probably several hundred thousand Thailand users who have reported data into the OpenSignal database which then adds up to millions of readings. Also not sure what timeframe those reading cover....last X month, since OpenSignal App has been available, etc.

Another thing is when you select the "Advanced" versus Simple Network Ranking display you get to see average download, upload, ping time, and reliability of TOT 3G, DTC, AIS, and True. Note: I'm assuming TH GSM means AIS. What I find strange is the Advanced ranking is reporting TOT 3G is around 3.5 times faster than DTAC, AIS and True...and actually around 6-7 times faster than True average download speed which is the lowest in the bunch. Something about that data just seems odd to me. Is TOT 3G really that much better...faster....etc. Heck, it seems the only companies you really see advertising 3G heavily is AIS, DTAC, and True. But maybe the TOT 3G readings/data is really their Wifi/out in the sticks internet service or actually AIS/DTAC/True service that might be using TOT towers in some areas....I don't know. See the image below.

Also, when looking at the Coverage Map the great, great majority of the readings are from the high population areas like small & big cities and along highways. If you are a person living out in the sticks, the type of crowd-sourced info would probably not be the best source to base your carrier decision on. Instead, test out some various SIMs from the different carriers either by buying them yourself or check with friend/family living nearby who are using other carriers.

Yea, crowd-source data can be good info as long as you understand what the data is really showing you (and not showing you).

post-55970-0-36925600-1374824030_thumb.p

Edited by Pib

I would think the 3 million is worldwide users of the software, I doubt very much that 3 million people in Thailand are even aware of open signal.

No, it said 3 million "readings" submitted by users; it didn't say 3 million users.

I expect the readings displayed are all from Thailand. And I expect readings data presented to you is based on your carrier and other carriers by country since it does show what carriers the data represents and they are all Thai carriers.

A person can use coverage map to see towers coverage over the entire world, but I expect the readings data is then filtered by country code which ends up only reflecting data from your country....and if the carrier you are using is a Thailand carrier then it will filter by the Thailand country code. But hey, I'm assuming.

I am quite happy w my 3G, your must live in the boonies.

Summary, what you want is usually found in expensive drive test tools, not in consumer goods

There are Android based test tools, but sell as test tools and are still expensive.

U might find something on android, but not easy.

Further note, 3 G there are many more measurements. For example, I had a 2 day stint in hospital, signal bar was full bar, but voice and data were bad on 10 th floor , and phone was very hot. Reason most likely Signal to noise ratio bad, causing phone to work harder

Summary - 2g was easy to make assessment based on signal bars, 3G is not a always reliable representation as its only meaning one parameter

I would think the 3 million is worldwide users of the software, I doubt very much that 3 million people in Thailand are even aware of open signal.

No, it said 3 million "readings" submitted by users; it didn't say 3 million users.

I expect the readings displayed are all from Thailand. And I expect readings data presented to you is based on your carrier and other carriers by country since it does show what carriers the data represents and they are all Thai carriers.

A person can use coverage map to see towers coverage over the entire world, but I expect the readings data is then filtered by country code which ends up only reflecting data from your country....and if the carrier you are using is a Thailand carrier then it will filter by the Thailand country code. But hey, I'm assuming.

Well that is about the same as I said, but better explained.

When I was testing the software I have probably provided 10 or 20 readings, which atctually are all the same.

Actually, I would like to re-estimate how many users those almost 3 million Thailand "readings" represent. Where I said it probably hundred of thousands of "users" over X-period to generate those 3 million readings, well, I'll change my estimate to just some where in the low thousands. The reason I say this I was looking around in OpenSignal and under the Stats pages down at the bottom where it say "My Data Collection" it reflected 411 Cell Readings and 627 Wifi readings as if that is just the number of readings I've collected. But right below that it says zero readings Sent. When I go into OpenSignal Setting it showed it Data Sharing set for Minimum Background Sharing.

So with it set to Minimum Background Setting by default when installing, it may have sent/shared many readings with the OpenSignal Database in the sky. Then I saw a tab that said "Force Data Upload," I pressed it, and it apparently started to upload the readings but I aborted it. So, for some reason it appears my Readings may not have been sent to the OpenSignal crowd-based database yet, but when I hit Force Data Upload it was going to. Maybe a glitch kept my readings from automatically uploading/being sent but for others the readings were being sent no problem. I don't know.

I guess what I'm beating around the bush about is OpenSignal is taking "many, many" readings and depending on how you have the data share setting enabled, just my using the OpenSignal app a few times yesterday and today over the last few days and with it running in the background it has accumulated hundreds of readings just from me. And from reading the Data Sharing Help info it's apparently been collecting data about every 15 minutes in the background...that is, the App not being opened/used by you.

Also, I guess if a person could some how filter/select just by "tower only" by using the CID/LAC tower code shown on the OpenSignal Map for each tower and then a person assumes that would probably be the tower he would be usually connected to at his home (of course if that was a AIS tower and you were on DTAC then you probably made a bad assumption), then he might be able to get some more specific and useful signal strength/bandwidth info versus looking at large area readings/data lumped together.

Edited by Pib

Update: my "Readings Sent" now says 339 under Cells with last upload to server at 4:38pm. That must have occurred before I turned off Data Sharing but only now reflecting. Additionally, when I pressed that the "Force Data Sharing" icon but quickly aborted that was well after 4:38pm. Yea, where it says around 3 million "readings," that is from a lot less Users. How many Users? I guess the longer the App stays on someone's phone the more readings are sent unles data sharing is turned off. So I guess the Readings-to-User ratio could get pretty high. But hey, the App still gives some useful, lumped-together crowd-based info and can give you some other useful signal info.

Ain't that the truth. I going to play with the App a little more and then most likely uninstall it because I can't really find anything I don't know already or can find out using other Apps. Even the Coverage Map that shows coverage all over Thailand and the world it really just points out the great majority of OpenSignal App users live/commute in cities and along major roads since there are few readings from outside cities/away from major highways. When you zoon out on the map to see all of Thailand I think that becomes obvious when you see areas with no apparent coverage but you know 2G/3G coverage is indeed there...it's just no one in those areas have the OpenSignal App installed and therefore no data is being sent back to the crowd-based database.