The opposition is only doing its job: Korn

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

The Nation

30211044-01_big.jpg
Korn

BANGKOK: -- Democrat deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij speaks to The Nation's Hataikarn Treesuwan on the opposition's role in checking and balancing the government's power once the Parliament reopens on Thursday next week.

The Yingluck Shinawatra government has important bills waiting for deliberation by Parliament when it convenes next week. Which bill do you think has the highest risk?

If the Bt2-trillion loan bill is approved, the Democrats will immediately ask the Constitutional Court for a judicial review. If the court rules it is unconstitutional, I think the government will have to resign.

The controversial Bt350-billion water-management scheme also poses a risk. The Administrative Court last month suspended the mega-project pending compulsory environmental impact assessments and public hearings before work on the design and construction begins. If they continue borrowing money, I think they will violate the law and cannot stay [in power].

Do you mean the government can be

toppled by a court ruling while the Democrats can only set the ball rolling?

Yes. It is the Democrats' duty to scrutinise and see if the government is violating laws. However, if the court rules those two bills are unconstitutional it does not mean all projects will be terminated. They can still go ahead using the annual budget as per normal or find new financial resources. Now the fiscal 2014 budget bill is under consideration, so why not have a "Plan B" and move some projects under the Bt2-trillion bill to this budget? Why is it necessary to just wait for the Bt2-trillion loan bill?

Apparently, court rulings will be able to end all conflicts, so why do many senior Democrats still insist on taking on the 'Reveal the Truth' mobile forum? What is their ultimate goal?

We use the forum to show we are in strong opposition to the former PM Thaksin Shinawatra when it comes to politics. I think the leaked audio clip [believed to be a conversation between Thaksin and Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha] clearly shows that Thaksin is doing everything for himself. He used to accuse the Abhisit [Vejjajiva] government

of being set up in the military barracks, and now he's turning to the military to help bring him back to the country.

He is also reaching out to the group he called the "ammart" [elite], including [Privy Council President] General Prem [Tinsulanonda].

If Thaksin believes the military can pave the way for him to return home, then others might think that the military could help the Democrat Party oust this government as well?

I honestly don't think we need someone to help. Everybody has their duties and responsibilities.

I do my duty when I submit a petition to the Constitutional Court or the National Anti-Corruption Commis-sion (NACC). I am not asking for their help.

If the court and the NACC have different views, then we will respect them, but we have the right to express our disagreement. Also, if the verdict does not match the facts, it will only add more problems for the country.

Decisions made by independent agencies have been questioned as being dependent on public pressure. Are the 'Reveal the Truth' rallies aimed to mobilise protesters and create public pressure?

Absolutely not! We need to explain to the public what this government and Thaksin are doing. It will also help us stop Thaksin more easily.

Do you have any plans to join forces with other anti-government groups such as V for Thailand and Thai Spring? The key leader of Thai Spring Kaewsun Atibodhi was once part of the 'Reveal the Truth' rally as well.

No. Kaewsun was on our stage a long time ago. Everyone can join our stage. We are not involved in his group.

With only 160 seats in the House, how can the Democrat Party bring down the government?

I don't think we can. It's not a matter of voting. Even if the court rules the Bt2-trillion loan bill is unconstitutional, I don't think the government will show spirit [and resign].

Instead, they will blame others. Or they might dissolve the House, which will make an election the last resort. We are doing the job of an opposition party. If an election is called, our next step will be to win it. This is because victory will lead us to sustainable change.

Is the Democrat Party ready for an early election?

Our party will be at a disadvantage if an election is called soon. This is because we never have enough financial support compared to our rivals. Yet, we are ready to fight and are encouraging our candidates to be prepared for an election.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-24

• Like 1

He is dreaming if he thinks the Government will resign; they won't go without being chucked out either by the People or the Army. After all; they haven't yet completed their mission of bringing back the poisoned dwarf and whitewashing him of all wrongdoing so that he can get back to robbing the country big style.

"No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems — of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind." - Thomas Sewell

Thai politicians could be the poster children of this concept.

Nobody expects that PTP will resign because they will have proven themselves incompetent if the B2.2 trillion loan bill turns out to be unconstitutional. They have proven themselves to be incompetent now and haven't resigned. How do people without morals take the moral high ground?

How do you justify borrowing B2.2 trillion for infrastructure improvement when you have just wasted a trillion with no observable result? And you are continuing with that policy?

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 2

So we have gone from the likes of Anand, Abhisit, Korn and Chamlong in the past to the likes of Chalerm, Korkaew, Yingluck and Nutthawut in the present. A truly sobering thought. Progress in Thailand seems stuck in reverse gear with the throttle wide open.

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head!

"No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems — of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind." - Thomas Sewell

Thai politicians could be the poster children of this concept.

I agree with this as far as most politicians worldwide are concerned, however I am not sure if Thai politicians (or at least the current group) think far enough ahead to care about the next election. I fear that they are only concerned with how much they can rape and pillage right now. Take the money and run!!!!

I agree with both of you!

"The controversial Bt350-billion water-management scheme also poses a risk. The Administrative Court last month suspended the mega-project pending compulsory environmental impact assessments and public hearings before work on the design and construction begins. If they continue borrowing money, I think they will violate the law and cannot stay [in power]."

Just goes to show us what kind of a scum government we have. They know it is compulsory (also counter to common sense) and yet went a head with plans only to be stopped by the Courts.

So we have gone from the likes of Anand, Abhisit, Korn and Chamlong in the past to the likes of Chalerm, Korkaew, Yingluck and Nutthawut in the present. A truly sobering thought. Progress in Thailand seems stuck in reverse gear with the throttle wide open.

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head!

Don't really understand your point here. Or maybe you people are new to Thailand and don't know what is going on.

Anand, Abhisit, Korn and Chamlong were in a very precarious seat they had to please far to many different parties to do the job properly and thus were so to speak had their hands tied. They were not allowed to put forth and follow through on all the projects they wanted for the benefit of Thailand. Plus the opposition had an armed part of their party willing to attempt a coup. Not only willing to they did try.

Now we have the likes of Chalerm, Korkaew, Yingluck and Nutthawut in power.

they have the votes to do what ever they please. the only thing holding them back is fear of not being reelected and courts which they are gradually striping of their power.

They received 48% of the vote. Out of that 48% they know that there was a percentage that did not want Thaksin in power and believed Yingluck would be the PM. Those people have now seen the light and know they voted for Thaksin. So they know there is 52% of the voting people who did not want them add to that the number who refused to vote from the yellow shirts and they know that they have to appease the public in order to return with the number of seats they now enjoy.

Ain't going to happen but they will be back more than likely a coalition where they have to listen to other parties much as the Democrats did.

If you are new you would not have known this. For some that have been here and seen it but deny it shame on you.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

The Nation

Posted Image

Korn

BANGKOK: -- Democrat deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij speaks to The Nation's Hataikarn Treesuwan on the opposition's role in checking and balancing the government's power once the Parliament reopens on Thursday next week.

The Yingluck Shinawatra government has important bills waiting for deliberation by Parliament when it convenes next week. Which bill do you think has the highest risk?

If the Bt2-trillion loan bill is approved, the Democrats will immediately ask the Constitutional Court for a judicial review. If the court rules it is unconstitutional, I think the government will have to resign.

The controversial Bt350-billion water-management scheme also poses a risk. The Administrative Court last month suspended the mega-project pending compulsory environmental impact assessments and public hearings before work on the design and construction begins. If they continue borrowing money, I think they will violate the law and cannot stay [in power].

Yes. It is the Democrats' duty to scrutinise and see if the government is violating laws. However, if the court rules those two bills are unconstitutional it does not mean all projects will be terminated. They can still go ahead using the annual budget as per normal or find new financial resources. Now the fiscal 2014 budget bill is under consideration, so why not have a "Plan B" and move some projects under the Bt2-trillion bill to this budget? Why is it necessary to just wait for the Bt2-trillion loan bill?

Apparently, court rulings will be able to end all conflicts, so why do many senior Democrats still insist on taking on the 'Reveal the Truth' mobile forum? What is their ultimate goal?

We use the forum to show we are in strong opposition to the former PM Thaksin Shinawatra when it comes to politics. I think the leaked audio clip [believed to be a conversation between Thaksin and Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha] clearly shows that Thaksin is doing everything for himself. He used to accuse the Abhisit [Vejjajiva] government

of being set up in the military barracks, and now he's turning to the military to help bring him back to the country.

He is also reaching out to the group he called the "ammart" [elite], including [Privy Council President] General Prem [Tinsulanonda].

If Thaksin believes the military can pave the way for him to return home, then others might think that the military could help the Democrat Party oust this government as well?

I honestly don't think we need someone to help. Everybody has their duties and responsibilities.

I do my duty when I submit a petition to the Constitutional Court or the National Anti-Corruption Commis-sion (NACC). I am not asking for their help.

If the court and the NACC have different views, then we will respect them, but we have the right to express our disagreement. Also, if the verdict does not match the facts, it will only add more problems for the country.

Decisions made by independent agencies have been questioned as being dependent on public pressure. Are the 'Reveal the Truth' rallies aimed to mobilise protesters and create public pressure?

Absolutely not! We need to explain to the public what this government and Thaksin are doing. It will also help us stop Thaksin more easily.

Do you have any plans to join forces with other anti-government groups such as V for Thailand and Thai Spring? The key leader of Thai Spring Kaewsun Atibodhi was once part of the 'Reveal the Truth' rally as well.

No. Kaewsun was on our stage a long time ago. Everyone can join our stage. We are not involved in his group.

With only 160 seats in the House, how can the Democrat Party bring down the government?

I don't think we can. It's not a matter of voting. Even if the court rules the Bt2-trillion loan bill is unconstitutional, I don't think the government will show spirit [and resign].

Instead, they will blame others. Or they might dissolve the House, which will make an election the last resort. We are doing the job of an opposition party. If an election is called, our next step will be to win it. This is because victory will lead us to sustainable change.

Our party will be at a disadvantage if an election is called soon. This is because we never have enough financial support compared to our rivals. Yet, we are ready to fight and are encouraging our candidates to be prepared for an election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-07-24

In other words Korn prefers to rely on the courts ( strongly influenced by the old elites) to challenge and possibly remove the government

Yes we know you have a job to fulfille, ordered by coup makers and it's cronys to hunting Khun Thaksin!! Instead you should shown to Thai people's some intelligent suggestions for Thailand development and future !!!

Nobody is hunting Khun Thaksin. They know where he is, what he is doing and what he is planning. Probably even what he had for lunch today.

As for your suggestion that the Dems should show to the Thai people some intelligent suggestions for Thailand's development and future, there is no need. PTP have everything under control, budgets, rice sales, borrowings, amnesties, you name it, they know what they are doing. The Thai people trust Yingluck and her government.

Don't worry about Korn. His day will come.

BTW where did you buy your rose tinted glasses?smile.png

• Like 1

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

The Nation

30211044-01_big.jpg

Korn

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-07-24

In other words Korn prefers to rely on the courts ( strongly influenced by the old elites) to challenge and possibly remove the government

NO, he's relying on the courts to challenge and remove the criminal elements from the government.

Quote by Jayboy:

He doesn't 'prefer' to do any such thing - pity you have to put words into his mouth.

Korn's party hasn't got the numbers to bring the government down, so how should they do it? Purple shirt militia? Another coup?

If the PTP mob try and exceed their power (and they've tried a number of times already) it is the opposition's job to try to curb that power and, given that PTP have no respect for parliamentary debates, use the checks & balances of the courts. That's what those courts are there for. In effect, the courts are a last resort not a preferred choice.

Oh I know that Thaksinistas believe that winning an election entitles them to do as they please. But not many others would view the (Thaksin idol) Lee Kwan Yu years in Singapore as being democratic.

It's dispiriting to have to respond to this kind of post but here goes.I don't know anybody with an ounce of sense that believes victory in a general election provides a government with the right to do anything it likes.

There must be all kinds of checks and balances.However in Thailand there is a history of judicial activism which is politically controlled or encouraged by unelected elites.The Democrats have benefited from this.

It is absolutely right that opposition politicians like Korn should take on the government.But the way to dislodge the ruling party is to defeat it in the next general election, not rely on tainted and politically motivated court decisions.Korn is a highly intelligent man who understands a military coup would be an appalling disaster.He should understand judicial activism couldne equally destructive and self defeating.

Finally and as an aside if Thailand could achieve Singapore's wealth and stability I doubt many Thais would quarrel having a Lee Kwan Yew at the helm.

"Finally and as an aside if Thailand could achieve Singapore's wealth and stability I doubt many Thais would quarrel having a Lee Kwan Yew at the helm."

A valid and interesting point.

Singapore has benefited from colonialism and the multicultural society therein, Chinese, Indians, Malays, Tamils and Arabs. The Lees have successfully run Singapore with a break of 12 years under Goh Chok Tong since independence

I am sure the mindset of the Thais would not allow such a diversity of cultures which have given Singapore it's great success in Asia. Thailand needs to become less xenophobic and open up to more input from the outside world. Sometimes i think Thais live in a kind of make-believe bubble and are unable to see what the rest of the world is doing.

Thailand must eradicate the corruption which is so endemic here. Mr Thaksin might be compared by some to Lee Kuan Yew but I doubt he will have the opportunity to prove his worth after all the mistakes he has made over the last 10 years. Plus it will be hard to do from a prison cell, if he even gets that far.

Singapore is fairly stable, Thailand is a quite shaky right now.

"Finally and as an aside if Thailand could achieve Singapore's wealth and stability I doubt many Thais would quarrel having a Lee Kwan Yew at the helm."

A valid and interesting point.

Singapore has benefited from colonialism and the multicultural society therein, Chinese, Indians, Malays, Tamils and Arabs. The Lees have successfully run Singapore with a break of 12 years under Goh Chok Tong since independence

I am sure the mindset of the Thais would not allow such a diversity of cultures which have given Singapore it's great success in Asia. Thailand needs to become less xenophobic and open up to more input from the outside world. Sometimes i think Thais live in a kind of make-believe bubble and are unable to see what the rest of the world is doing.

Thailand must eradicate the corruption which is so endemic here. Mr Thaksin might be compared by some to Lee Kuan Yew but I doubt he will have the opportunity to prove his worth after all the mistakes he has made over the last 10 years. Plus it will be hard to do from a prison cell, if he even gets that far.

Singapore is fairly stable, Thailand is a quite shaky right now.

Big difference between Singapore and Thailand, a bit like apples and oranges, and how long would Thais put up being beaten in public for making a mess on there soi. Transform Thailand to Singapore never happen, especially by this bunch in power at present