new mobile fish and chips

dave2

i was sat outside loco elvis last night filling my face with another great burger

and i saw a new motorbike and sidecart going round the corner with fish and chips written on it !

when i went round the corner after the burger there he was outside the bank so it was out with the camera and he saw me taking a pic and came to give me his menu

ive not tried it coz i was already stuffed

but for 50 baht ill give him a go sometime

:)coz hes spent a lot of baht on that rig

post-42592-0-84878900-1374634927_thumb.j

post-42592-0-19757000-1374634967_thumb.j

post-42592-0-55753500-1374635017_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57359800-1374635050_thumb.j

• Like 2

i was sat outside loco elvis last night filling my face with another great burger

and i saw a new motorbike and sidecart going round the corner with fish and chips written on it !

when i went round the corner after the burger there he was outside the bank so it was out with the camera and he saw me taking a pic and came to give me his menu

wow you use the word coz a lot. I'll be sure to wait for you critique on the traveling fish and chip guy coz I really like fish and chips and coz I can afford 50 baht coz it's not expensive

https://www.facebook.com/dee.fishnchipsbbq?fref=ts

Yes the Guy (Dave) From Singapore,who lived in London for years,and his wife started a few months ago selling around the moat.
He spends around 1 hour outside Blue Sky Bar( Muan Muang) every night,and probably sells between 10-20 portions on a good day at the bar.
Very good value for 50 baht,but hardly red snapper or john dorry(more like a fishcake). Chips are mcdonald's style,he also does good tarttar sauce and nice bbq sticks.
He also sells Electronic Cigarettes!

post-22983-0-85719500-1374641352_thumb.j

post-22983-0-14215200-1374641368_thumb.j

• Like 1

wow you use the word coz a lot. I'll be sure to wait for you critique on the traveling fish and chip guy coz I really like fish and chips and coz I can afford 50 baht coz it's not expensive

Thanks for that post Mr. Perfect, well worth it.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Yes the Guy (Dave) From Singapore,who lived in London for years,and his wife started a few months ago selling around the moat.

He spends around 1 hour outside Blue Sky Bar( Muan Muang) every night,and probably sells between 10-20 portions on a good day at the bar.

Very good value for 50 baht,but hardly red snapper or john dorry(more like a fishcake). Chips are mcdonald's style,he also does good tarttar sauce and nice bbq sticks.

Ah, yes, fish 'n' chips, one of my favorites, along with fish tacos.

I prefer a firm and flakey fish, like cod, haddock, grouper, red snapper, white snapper (sea bass), cobia, etc., but I realize some of these fish are relatively expensive, and others simply unavailable in Chiang Mai. I find the John Dorry too soft and mushy for my taste. Also, I notice that some of the pangas fish (pla sawai or snakehead fish) in Chiang Mai is labeled "Dorry Pangasius" - leaving customer to determine what that fish might be. In Thailand, I'm told that the "gold standard" for fish 'n' chips is Gooses Fish and Chips in Pattaya - ever been there?

Gooses features real Atlantic Cod - very expensive, and VERY good!

So, what kind of fish does Dave from Singapore use on his cart? Thanks!

re

I prefer a firm and flakey fish

the un irish do a lovely bit of pure white flakey fish but are a bit stingy on the fries for about 180 ish baht with a coke

the red lion do three nice bits of fish in theirs and i could hardly eat it all the last time i was there

dave2

ps .. the franco thai fish in white wine sauce and mash is out of this world but ill keep that for another thread smile.png

post-42592-0-59528700-1374651215_thumb.j

re

I prefer a firm and flakey fish

the un irish do a lovely bit of pure white flakey fish but are a bit stingy on the fries for about 180 ish baht with a coke

the red lion do three nice bits of fish in theirs and i could hardly eat it all the last time i was there

dave2

ps .. the franco thai fish in white wine sauce and mash is out of this world but ill keep that for another thread smile.png

dave2

appreciate very much your recommendations (UN Irish, Red Lion, and Franco Thai) for a firm and flakey fish, and I plan to try them all.

Last time in UN Irish, it was John Dorry fish - the fish of choice among many restauranteurs. Not bad, but not firm and flakey!

Any idea about the fish itself? What kind of fish are we talking about?

re

Last time in UN Irish, it was John Dorry fish - the fish of choice among many restauranteurs. Not bad, but not firm and flakey!

Any idea about the fish itself? What kind of fish are we talking about?

im sorry but ive no idea sad.png

but i think the un irish might have changed the fish since i last had it coz it was a bit soft and mushy today but still tasted goog !

i looked in the red lion this afternoon but as the f ch was 240 baht before the coke i didnt go in

re .. Bring back Charlies F&C

do we really want vote rigging again ?

just joshin .. dave2

ps .. i was going out for a beer tonight but after looking at doi suthep now

i think ill pass on that sad.png

post-42592-0-79347600-1374663354_thumb.j

post-42592-0-42998400-1374663409_thumb.j

In Thailand, I'm told that the "gold standard" for fish 'n' chips is Gooses Fish and Chips in Pattaya - ever been there?

Gooses features real Atlantic Cod - very expensive, and VERY good!

I have. Goose's had - by far - the best fish 'n' chips I've ever had in Thailand. They also had cheaper types of fish that were excellent. Unfortunately, I have been told that they closed down recently. sad.png

i really question the quality of 50 baht fish and chips, but at that price i would try it and would have no issue binning it after the first bite.

seeing as some have opened the discussion to "the best fish and chips in thailand"

i had a great fish and chips at snapper in bkk sunday. it was southern hake. (excellent and very light home made tartar too), and the australian can be pretty darn good (tartar average to good).

kuppa also makes a great fish and chips and has for years again the tartar sauce is lovely.

I am dying to try fat gutz, but fish and chips is one of those foods i like to eat close to home if not at home.

i have had some pretty dire f&C over the years around the country

i rarely have alot of energy after im done, but for me that is the point.

Ah ! now for months Thai Visa has a serious adult thread.

B50 is a must try, not expecting great things for B50 but I have had poor for much more.

Yes great pity Charlie's is dead and gone and I never made the joint in Pattaya, Goose's, now closed.

Yummy does a decent F & C probably the best in town.

john

Finally, non-overpriced Fish & Chips come to Chiang Mai..

Most restaurants price this stuff like it's solid gold.

And most restaurants probably sell real fish filets, instead of scraps leftover on the floor from making the filets. In food, you get what you pay for. Why scrimp here? In goes in your body for god's sake.

Finally, non-overpriced Fish & Chips come to Chiang Mai..

Most restaurants price this stuff like it's solid gold.

And most restaurants probably sell real fish filets, instead of scraps leftover on the floor from making the filets. In food, you get what you pay for. Why scrimp here? In goes in your body for god's sake.

Probably is the key word here ,like scraps leftover on the floor we will never really know .For 50 baht it is worth a try.

So How do they call it English Fish and chips english chips are not Mcdonalds style and I am pretty sure the fish is nothing like you get in England so they should just call its Fish and Chips either way for 50 Baht you cant go wrong for a feed.

• Like 1

For the best value Fish & Chips dinner, Gecko Garden's 109 Baht special any day before 4pm takes some beating and they only charge 20 baht for a coke. The F&C comes with side salad, pickle, there's malt vinegar and other sauces. They normally give two fair sized pieces of nice white fish and usually quite full. I'm not going to say it's the best F&C in the world, but it's the hardest to beat for value especially taking into account the price of a coke etc too. A very good meal for 129 Baht TOTAL.

• Like 1

For the best value Fish & Chips dinner, Gecko Garden's 109 Baht special any day before 4pm takes some beating and they only charge 20 baht for a coke. The F&C comes with side salad, pickle, there's malt vinegar and other sauces. They normally give two fair sized pieces of nice white fish and usually quite full. I'm not going to say it's the best F&C in the world, but it's the hardest to beat for value especially taking into account the price of a coke etc too. A very good meal for 129 Baht TOTAL.

just make sure you eat it quick before the mozzies get it

just make sure you eat it quick before the mozzies get it

I'm usually in there around 2pm, never had a problem with mozzies.......all Gecko Gardens before 4pm specials are excellent value.

Also, if I'm not mistaken then Sausage King Garden does one for 99 Baht. Haven't tried it yet.

Also, if I'm not mistaken then Sausage King Garden does one for 99 Baht. Haven't tried it yet.

I'd love to try SK as I have heard good things about his meals, but it's too far for me, Gecko is only 10 minutes.

I have had Sausage Kings Fish and Chips and they are excellent and REAL BARGAIN at 99baht

i never thought that I would agree with uptheos but I do agree this time

• Like 1

I'm reading too much about prices and portions - the cheapest price for the biggest portion.

How about a few words on the quality and freshness of the fish; the type of fish (other than "White Fish"); the amount of batter and the taste of the batter; etc. C'mon Brit expats, tell us what you know about these fish, and then mention the price!

Thanks!