new mobile fish and chips

dave2

isnt pattaya a bit far to go just for fish and chips ?

No!

As far as reasons go, it's not even the silliest one. ;)

as far as i know there is no tiger zoo in chiang mai !

Tiger Kingdom? It's a petting zoo. Not a week goes by without a picture of some chick hugging a tiger showing up on my Facebook. Or you can just watch the animals play and swim.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

re

Maybe they mean Tiger Kingdom

im 99 % sure your right smile.png

but he didnt say that!

so there could be buddha knows how many people looking for something in chiang mai that doesnt exist

not good sad.png

dave2

post-42592-0-85503300-1374806253_thumb.j

Tiger Kingdom? It's a petting zoo. Not a week goes by without a picture of some chick hugging a tiger showing up on my Facebook. Or you can just watch the animals play and swim.

But it does have an OK restaurant overlooking one of the tiger pens. Don't know if they have fish & chips though; my recollection was that their strength was "tourist Thai" food.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Red lion has good fish and chips along with a draft guiness hits the spot for me farang prices but worth it.

I'll definitely check out the Red Lion Fish 'n' Chips. BTW, has anybody tried the mobile cart fish (original post) yet?

Red lion has good fish and chips along with a draft guiness hits the spot for me farang prices but worth it.

But it wouldn't be a good choice for someone prefers their fish "firm and flakey". What you get at the Red Lion is two big pieces of deep fried mushy fish and Heinz tartar sauce in a plastic bottle. I couldn't finish it.

Edited by AngelsLariat

I also go regular to sausage kings restaurant he does large fish and real chips with a choice of Australian garden peas or British mushy for 99 baht or Atlantic cod and chips etc 199 baht.

Sounds and looks like a good deal. I've heard a lot of good things about this Sausage King, im on Chang klan though and not sure i can be bothered to make the drive out to Sansai. However if im ever in the area i'll be sure to pay them a visit.

I also go regular to sausage kings restaurant he does large fish and real chips with a choice of Australian garden peas or British mushy for 99 baht or Atlantic cod and chips etc 199 baht.

Atlantic cod? For real? Now I am really interested! This is the first cod "sighting" in Chiang Mai that I am aware of, and I'm wondering why we haven't heard about this Sausage King Garden menu item months ago.

IMHO, Cod and Haddock make the very best fish for English fish and chips. The batter (and the cooking oil) is the second key ingredient, and the accompanying chips are third. Are best chips made with Russet potato?

Cod and haddock are imported (usually from the UK) and very expensive in Thailand, as the former Gooses Fish and Chips (Pattaya) can document. Their menu listed Pacific Dory (small) 120 baht; Pacific Dory (large) 195 baht; Halibut 265 baht; Cod Loin 270 baht; Turbot 270 baht; Cod Fillet 295 baht; and Haddock 470 baht. In April, Gooses closed their doors.

The news that Sausage King Garden features Atlantic Cod is welcome news, and 199 baht is a great price!

But it wouldn't be a good choice for someone prefers their fish "firm and flakey". What you get at the Red Lion is two big pieces of deep fried mushy fish and Heinz tartar sauce in a plastic bottle. I couldn't finish it.

I just lost my appetite.

I just lost my appetite.

Unfortunately it's quite common in Chiang Mai for the fish in Fish & Chips to have the consistency of mashed potatoes. Maybe some people like it that way.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Let me strongly advise AGAINST the 99 baht one; it's horrible. It was either the cheapest mushiest fish from the Makro freezer, or something like Pla Nin / Pla Thab Thim.

If the chips were better I could see trying the 199 baht one, but the chips weren't very good either.

The place is very hit & miss.. some things are pretty good like the sausages and pies. And the kebab BBQ thing they do sometimes. But most other food needs improvement. It's too bad because I do like the overall setting.

The fish & chips at Yummie Pizza (Canal Road) was WAY better, but just too pricey.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

For Brits who ever venture back to England and happen to be in Lincoln, I thoroughly recommend Burton Road Chippy.

They have won numerous awards regionally and nationally and the batter is far better than anything I've ever tasted. I hate greasy batter or mushy batter. There's a definite art to batter and fresh fish is always better than frozen!

I always go for haddock which I prefer to cod.

Anyway doubt you'll find anything anywhere near as good anywhere in Thailand so that's why I stick to Thai food ;-)

Let me strongly advise AGAINST the 99 baht one; it's horrible. It was either the cheapest mushiest fish from the Makro freezer, or something like Pla Nin / Pla Thab Thim.

If the chips were better I could see trying the 199 baht one, but the chips weren't very good either.

The place is very hit & miss.. some things are pretty good like the sausages and pies. And the kebab BBQ thing they do sometimes. But most other food needs improvement. It's too bad because I do like the overall setting.

The fish & chips at Yummie Pizza (Canal Road) was WAY better, but just too pricey.

I have had the sausage king fish and chips several times and its spot on.However he does use beer batter i believe. He gives you a choice of real hand cut chips or American frozen fries which i feel is fair.The cod is the better fish out of them both at 199 baht.wai2.gif I did try the kebab platter for the first time last Saturday and i loved that but is only available every second Saturdaywai2.gif

For Brits who ever venture back to England and happen to be in Lincoln, I thoroughly recommend Burton Road Chippy.

They have won numerous awards regionally and nationally and the batter is far better than anything I've ever tasted. I hate greasy batter or mushy batter. There's a definite art to batter and fresh fish is always better than frozen!

I always go for haddock which I prefer to cod.

Anyway doubt you'll find anything anywhere near as good anywhere in Thailand so that's why I stick to Thai food ;-)

and for Yanks who ever venture back to Upstate New York, try Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles.

Best damned deep fried haddock fish sandwich in the world!

post-28863-0-19872600-1374972783_thumb.j

for the fish and chips fans -

At Rimping:

Fresh fish from Thailand:

Turbot: 189 Baht per kg
Halibut: 189 Baht per kg

Fresh fish from USA:

Halibut: the whole fish is sold only, weight between 8 - 10 Kg cost: 2,000 Baht per kg

Frozen fish from USA

Cod fillet 495 Baht per kg
Cod loin 550 Baht per kg

The above items are only available at Rimping Promenada, except for the Frozen Cod which is currently available
at Rimping Promenada, Meechok, Nawarat and Nim City Branches.

F&C experts - please tell us how to select and prepare and batter the fish, and how many orders can be made for each kilo.

Is this the kind of fish you are willing to pay to eat in Chiang Mai? I'm ready & willing!

• Like 1

I found him the other afternoon in front of SCB at the moat . Ordered two pieces of fish and fries with Tarter sauce . It was real good no complaints . Felt like it was a bargin and good fish .. I couldnt finish all the fries .. Well worth checking out ...

• Like 1

I have had the sausage king fish and chips several times and its spot on.However he does use beer batter i believe. He gives you a choice of real hand cut chips or American frozen fries which i feel is fair.The cod is the better fish out of them both at 199 baht.wai2.gif I did try the kebab platter for the first time last Saturday and i loved that but is only available every second Saturdaywai2.gif

Never had a bad meal at The Dukes , Sausage King , and Yummys .... I too had the Kabob last week it is very good !

I found him the other afternoon in front of SCB at the moat . Ordered two pieces of fish and fries with Tarter sauce . It was real good no complaints . Felt like it was a bargin and good fish .. I couldnt finish all the fries .. Well worth checking out ...

fish and fries?