CTH and True?

Gashead

Can someone help me please?? I currently have True as my satellite provider but am seriously considering CTH, primarily for the Premier League. Thing is I'd like to also keep True. My question is can I have 2 dishes (LNBs) going down one cable using some kind of splitter/switch? My existing cables are nicely hidden and I really don't want to have either bury new cables or have new ugly cables everywhere.

Yes, you can.

You'll need a diseq switch, to which the 2 LNB's are connected, and from there one cable which goes to your receivers.

The single cable can be connected to the two receivers using a splitter, or if one of the receivers has a pass through (loop) connection, you can connect the 2nd receiver to the pass through connection of the first.

Your receivers will have to be programmed to control the diseq switch properly so they get the signal from the correct LNB.

You will only be able to watch one receiver at the same time.

make sure the set top box supports diseqc though i.e. the CTH or True box .. 

Haven't seen a box not capable of diseq yet, gmm, ipm, most of them can receive channels spread over Ku band and c-band and all can use diseq to select the appropriate dish/lnb.

More of a worry would be the proper menu being password locked, but I guess your local sat installer would know them.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

are the satellites near enough to use just one dish?, True  Thaicom 5, 

CTH  Ku band is Viasat ?

regards Worgeordie

Unfortunately not.

They are way apart, about 110 degrees if I'm not mistaken.

are the satellites near enough to use just one dish?, True Thaicom 5,

CTH Ku band is Viasat ?

regards Worgeordie

Unfortunately not.

They are way apart, about 110 degrees if I'm not mistaken.

I am thinking of getting the CTH dish, what direction does it face? The balcony on my condo faces north and east so siting a Truevisions dish was always a problem.

From Bangkok you have to point your dish to 112 degrees (very roughly South East).

Whereas Thaicom 5 (Truevisions) sits at about 240 Degrees ( Very roughly South West).

So with an Eastern looking balcony you should be OK as it's only just over 20 degrees more to the South compared to straight East.

From Bangkok you have to point your dish to 112 degrees (very roughly South East).

Whereas Thaicom 5 (Truevisions) sits at about 240 Degrees ( Very roughly South West).

So with an Eastern looking balcony you should be OK as it's only just over 20 degrees more to the South compared to straight East.

Thanks for that, looks like CTH for me then. I could never get a dish to face 240 degrees.

• 3 weeks later...

make sure the set top box supports diseqc though i.e. the CTH or True box ..

Haven't seen a box not capable of diseq yet, gmm, ipm, most of them can receive channels spread over Ku band and c-band and all can use diseq to select the appropriate dish/lnb.

More of a worry would be the proper menu being password locked, but I guess your local sat installer would know them.

Not sure if all CTH and True (Humax H200S) boxes use the same passwords, but I believe they do to keep things simple for their customer support, then the CTH box will be 0000 and True will be 2321. Just been playing with my boxes and they all have Diseqc options in their menu in the password protected Dish Setup menu options.