House Wanted

argus1949

argus1949, you need to come and spend some time in Chiang Mai. There are many new developements in and around the city, most of which have houses available.

Some of these new estates should already be condemned and returned to paddy, others are worthwhile investing and living in.

If you are serious about living here, rent a house for a few months and spend time driving around looking at the different places available. Get to know the residents here too, we all have advice to pass on.

If, however you simply want to throw your money away, PM me & I will send you an account number. You will own a house, but never want to live in it!

Thank you P1P,

your proposal is clearly a very good one "rent first" then buy. Will do so. FYI, I have a condo at the beach, that's ok, but I like the "mountains" as well. So let's see. I will go to Chiangmai and looking around.

Thank you P1P and all others. Life is to short to waste time. :o

Also remember that while foreigners can own condos outright in their own name (except on the ground floor and provided not more than 49% of the development is foreign owned), they cannot own the land a house sits on - strangely they can own the house, but not the stuff that stops it falling through to the other side of the planet.

There have been a lot of conned foreigners in Chiangmai over the last 10 years who thought they'd legally bought the land - NEVER forget, you can't own the land.

i can recommend linda real estate although i didn't rent through her.

The only one with a common sense and service for customers.

Nice old lady, litlle bit funny at first.

The landlord i rent from is ok , but the real estate guys were just a pain in the ass.

Took me 1 1/2 hours to change 3 words in a contract.

Just plain morons.

B

• 1 month later...

We are considering moving to Chiang Mai soon and possibly buying/building a home there (Renting first) and would like to hear opinions on which direction from Chiang Mai is most desirable; north toward Mae Rim, Mae Cho, Doi Saket and East to Samkhampeng? I have been told that generally these areas are much more desirable than to the south in the direction of Hang dong; 15-20 klicks out of the city is ok but not interested in any area the Thais call "Preo"or "Na Klua" or just lonely and plain old scary.

As only a little over two year home owner in Chiang Mai, I will defer to the more experienced, however, it will be your judgement, after renting for a bit, that will control. Things that I considered in choosing north 8km on Mae Rim Road.

The "new" city hall is north, the majority of the west side of Mae Rim Road for the first 8km is owned by the government and buildings are set back so you have a very nice, undevelopable 50% of the available land to limit congestion, the sports complex is north and I found a project that offered a good price, with discount and amenable to building a custom house for the price of a typical "cookie cutter" one.

When wishing I decided otherwise, I would pick east nearer to Carrefour, (There is a Lotus a lot closer but not my preference, but a definite alternative, south-east to be closer to most of the farang restaurants and watering holes.

I think your decision whether North or East will depend on how close you want to be to what venues are important to you.

As only a little over two year home owner in Chiang Mai, I will defer to the more experienced, however, it will be your judgement, after renting for a bit, that will control. Things that I considered in choosing north 8km on Mae Rim Road.

The "new" city hall is north, the majority of the west side of Mae Rim Road for the first 8km is owned by the government and buildings are set back so you have a very nice, undevelopable 50% of the available land to limit congestion, the sports complex is north and I found a project that offered a good price, with discount and amenable to building a custom house for the price of a typical "cookie cutter" one.

When wishing I decided otherwise, I would pick east nearer to Carrefour, (There is a Lotus a lot closer but not my preference, but a definite alternative, south-east to be closer to most of the farang restaurants and watering holes.

I think your decision whether North or East will depend on how close you want to be to what venues are important to you.

Many thanks for your input, it is helpful. I did look at a couple large homes in the Doi Saket area, very nice, ~200 Talang wah land, custom built by the Thai owner but as usual he wanted a double price, the Doi Saket area did look nice, houses about 10 kliks out of town. I am getting the feeling that building your own is better even with all the agrivation connected with doing that.

Thanks again.