1 week in BKK and looking for interesting sites to visit

FTB

post-130171-13748168116919_thumb.jpgpost-130171-13748168255604_thumb.jpgpost-130171-13748168457824_thumb.jpg

Peeps which canal is this? I found these on another forum and it looks like the sort of canal tour Id like to try. I think i need to get on at Tha Chang so could go after seeing the Grand Palace. Is it Bangkok noi?

Thanks

I highly recommend the Khlong Saen Saep Express Boat service to the end of the line and back. (You will need to google it as I am not sure exactly where you can get on.) The 18-kilometre route operates from 5:30am to 8:30pm daily on weekdays and until 7pm on weekends. Prices range from 8 to 20 baht, depending on the distance you travel. It is a great way to get around the city or an enjoyable excursion. The round trip took us about 1.5 hours. I would recommend that you get on and off at a busy pier as the boat only stops for the shortest time possible. It is a bit of a challenge getting on and off and definitely would not be suitable for anyone with mobility issues. There is lots to see as you zip along the canal. On the way back you can get off and explore any areas that caught your attention. While the sights might not be as grand as along the canals off the Chao Phraya River, it is an opportunity to see how regular people of Bangkok live and work. The price is also much more affordable.

I agree with a previous poster on Chinatown. It is truly a unique experience. When the tiny lanes just get to be too much stop for lunch at a dim sum restaurant.

Enjoy your visit.

I agree with vhartling, the express boat is a must do and a great way to see and access everything from the top tourist locations to surprising little communities that haven't changed in 200 years.

For a neat trip back to Bangkok as it was 100 years ago, consider Talad Nang Lerng. Lots of interesting for tourists produce on offer along with great food, much of which is prepared the same way the vendor's great great grandmother did it when she sold the same thing in the same spot a century earlier. Really something of a time machine.

Regarding museums, Wat Traimit has a museum chronicling the Yaowarat area and the Chinese immigrant experience in Thailand. May offer a nice primer before venturing down Yaowarat and you are able to visit the golden Buddha at the same time.

Of course, the popular tourist destinations are popular for a reason. It would be a shame to overlook them.

Ghost temple of Mae Nak at Wat Mahabut.

Forensic Museum at Siriraj hopspital.

"Hell Temple" at Wat Paa Lak Roi in Suphanburi (not far from BKK)--it is a Disney Land/Dante's Inferno theme park.

Mansion 7 haunted house/shopping mall near Hwai Kwang MRT station.

Shrine to serial killer Boonphaeng Heep Lek at Wat Phasee.

At least that's where I take my friends--they are kind of a strange crowd.

I googled that hell garden and all results seem to say its in Korat? Is this the same one you are referring to?

I had planned to see a hell garden too but was going to do the one in Chon Buri - wang Sean suk.

There is a large Hell garden in Khorat but there is also one in Suphanburi named Wat Paa Lak Roi. There was a book written about it that is available on Amazon. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/The-Fate-Rural-Hell-Asceticism/dp/0857420275/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

There are several Hell temples in Thailand that are based on the teachings of Phra Malai--a Buddhist monk who supposedly traveled through the 136 Buddhist Hell realms and described them. The book in the Amazon link is a great guide to have because it explains the Thai writing on each display so you can understand what "punishment" each tormented soul is suffering.

Seriously, get to one of the Hell parks--any of them. They are truly one of the stranger things to see in Thailand--and that is saying a lot.

BTW....my next weird trip will be to the "Body parts bakery" in Thailand. Google that and you will get some interesting stories and images.

Chok Dee.

"Hell Temple" at Wat Paa Lak Roi in Suphanburi (not far from BKK)--it is a Disney Land/Dante's Inferno theme park.

I googled that hell garden and all results seem to say its in Korat? Is this the same one you are referring to?

I had planned to see a hell garden too but was going to do the one in Chon Buri - wang Sean suk.

There is a large Hell garden in Khorat (Wat Paa Lak roi)--I am sorry--I confused them in my OP. There is also one in Suphanburi named Wat Phai Rong Wua. There was a book written about it that is available on Amazon. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/The-Fate-Rural-Hell-Asceticism/dp/0857420275/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

There are several Hell temples in Thailand that are based on the teachings of Phra Malai--a Buddhist monk who supposedly traveled through the 136 Buddhist Hell realms and described them. The book in the Amazon link is a great guide to have because it explains the Thai writing on each display so you can understand what "punishment" each tormented soul is suffering.

Seriously, get to one of the Hell parks--any of them. They are truly one of the stranger things to see in Thailand--and that is saying a lot.

BTW....my next weird trip will be to the "Body parts bakery" in Thailand. Google that and you will get some interesting stories and images.

Chok Dee.

Edited by KuhnPaen

There is a large Hell garden in Khorat (Wat Paa Lak roi)--I am sorry--I confused them in my OP. There is also one in Suphanburi named Wat Phai Rong Wua. There was a book written about it that is available on Amazon. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/The-Fate-Rural-Hell-Asceticism/dp/0857420275/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Chok Dee.

Thanks! The suphanburi one is going on my list for next time. As well as the hell garden there are apparently lots of Buddha statues there. 200 acres worth?

Not hell garden related but I also found wat muang in ang thong. It's just past Ayuthya so I think just about doable for a day trip.

Dont forget a strong two hour traditional thai massage.

Baiyoke sky buffet perhaps (thailands tallest building) some great views there at night

the food is crap. eat somewhere decent and go to scirocco for drinks. red sky is also an option.

either that or dinner on the roof at the banyan tree.

tons of decent roof top hotel bars opening lately, no need to eat in a cafeteria in the sky

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

Some very good tidbits suggested by the posters. Thank you kindly for the recommendations. I've been to most of the recommendations but some of them like the Bangkok Forensic Museum and the Fertility shrine are a perfect twist to include on a BKK exploring junket. Thank you also for the reminder to explore China Town early morning by one poster as I'm sure it takes on a completely different character at those hours.

Jasun - From your perspective was the Siam Narawit show and dinner well done and somewhat educational or horribly kitschy?

AyG - Some great suggestions and you're a savior. I have been to the Aphawa market before and enjoyed the ambience in contrast to the Damnoen Saduak market but for the life of me could not remember the name or location. A round of drinks or meal on me if you're in BKK when I get down there for relieving me of my headache trying to remember the spot.

Like you suggest I shall be exploring some outlying areas to break up Bangkok.

Because the op has lived in CNX he thinks, as many others do, that they are Thai experts when all they really know about is bars and being ripped off!!

My advice to the op is hire a Thai tourist guide for a day or two

Breadbin your summation of my character reeks of generalization and assumptions, a scary cocktail. Sadly my experience with tour guides in this country has me concluding they are next to useless. Their knowledge on the sites visited is limited at best and incorrect at times. In my experiences I've been better served travelling by myself and doing background research online of the locations and sites I'm to visit. This method has for me, far surpassed the experiences I have had with local tour guides, both here and in other Southeast Asian countries. The one exception was a quality guide in Khao Yai National Park However if you know of somebody that could raise the stakes in this arena feel free to PM me his number.

PM'd you.

Good suggestions in here.

Here is a great list : http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293916-Activities-Bangkok.html

I did enjoy M.R. Kukrit's Heritage Home. It's somewhat similar to Jim Thompson, but not many tourists. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293916-d3280718-Reviews-M_R_Kukrit_s_Heritage_Home-Bangkok.html)

Dont forget a strong two hour traditional thai massage.

Baiyoke sky buffet perhaps (thailands tallest building) some great views there at night

the food is crap. eat somewhere decent and go to scirocco for drinks. red sky is also an option.

either that or dinner on the roof at the banyan tree.

tons of decent roof top hotel bars opening lately, no need to eat in a cafeteria in the sky

The food at Bayoke Sky was ok a few years ago for around 600B. Now they introduced double pricing for foreigners and therefore it is a no-go area.

What a fantastic gallery of photos. This sort of this really helps when planning where to go and see. And now I've learned that wat muang also has a hell garden. I'm going to be in hell garden 'heaven'.

• Like 1