Lost It's Smiles?

Sing_Sling

Most immigration officers are <deleted> to begin with in all countries.

There always picky and miserable.

Probaly bored shitless as i would be doing that job.

Maybe they just cant wait to gethome to crack open a beer?? who knows

Or maybe he/she just doesnt like you

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact I know for a fact that working as an immigration official is quite a sort after position.

JFYI The word is "sought"

There, I feel better now :o

And I agree, a smile goes a long way. I even got a smile out of the most miserable looking b**ch of an immigration lady last time I came in. No queue either, has to be a first.

Edited by Crossy

In fact I know for a fact that working as an immigration official is quite a sort after position.

And I agree, a smile goes a long way. I even got a smile out of the most miserable looking b**ch of an immigration lady last time I came in. No queue either, has to be a first.

Crossy, temporarily digressing from the context of the original post, I'm sure that you & I (& perhaps a very few others) could spend WEEKS correcting the bad grammar presented by the majority of Thaivisa.com posters. I have a particular dislike for the word "ass" being used incorrectly. An "ass" is a small type of horse. An "arse" is generally associated with your "bum", as you may agree. So, is an "a_s_s h_o_l.e", a hole used (in some way) by small horses? I know that I'm 'splitting hairs' here but I'm also truly amused by the misuse of the 'Queens English'. It does have a certain 'comical' flavour.

In the meantime, I have generally found immigration/airport 'officials' to be less than pleasant. I don't know why...just seems to be the case. I mainly ignore their attitude & sally forth.

Edited by elkangorito

Most immigration officers are <deleted> to begin with in all countries.

There always picky and miserable.

Probaly bored shitless as i would be doing that job.

Maybe they just cant wait to gethome to crack open a beer?? who knows

Or maybe he/she just doesnt like you

You said it all brother, amen,

It's just as simple as that, the job just freakin sucks, :o

Im no spelling genius, so what.

Probaly one of the worst spellers on here, doesnt mean shit really now does it.

Even though it is not in context with the original post, I'll assist you with the following corrections, which are in red;

I'm no spelling genius. So what!

I'm probably one of the worst spellers here. It doesn't mean shit really now, does it?

So, what do you think about the 'emotionless' airport/immigration personnel?

:D:D:D

The same reason no one smiles at the Post office, the job sucks, they see thousands of dorks who aren't smiling either, dead-end job, what's to smile about ... an endless stream of ungrateful, disrespective, smelly foreigners, who could buy and sell them , even the Pantip Sony girls can't keep smiling constantly, not natural nor typical human behavior, :D

Still, you'll have to admit, still a little more warm and friendly than New York. ... hey, fa gid a bowd it ... :o

Now hold on a minute, working for immigration is not the same as working in post office. In fact I know for a fact that working as an immigration official is quite a sort after position. In the west working as an air hostess is seen as a job for tarts or if you're male gay. This is not the case here and this is a highly sort after position as well.

I'm sure if you suggested to them that they are in a "dead end job" they would be insulted. And as for the other negative posts, perhaps these people should get themselves Thailand gold cards and then they can get the submissive behaviour they feel they deserve. Oh, what you can't afford one?

Never mind, here's your stamp now f&%k off!

You arrogant <deleted>, I can afford what ever it takes.

You converted airline steward " person", (no I would not like a pillow or or more peanuts), what I was saying was this was not the most rewarding nor appreciative career one could pick, no disrespect, though it would appear you intimate you worked at / for the Post Office, (wangker), again, no disrespect, now shut the fuc up, but I mean that in a nice way, :D

The same reason no one smiles at the Post office, the job sucks, they see thousands of dorks who aren't smiling either, dead-end job, what's to smile about ... an endless stream of ungrateful, disrespective, smelly foreigners, who could buy and sell them , even the Pantip Sony girls can't keep smiling constantly, not natural nor typical human behavior, :D

Still, you'll have to admit, still a little more warm and friendly than New York. ... hey, fa gid a bowd it ... :o

as for the other negative posts, perhaps these people should get themselves Thailand gold cards and then they can get the submissive behaviour they feel they deserve. Oh, what you can't afford one?

Never mind, here's your stamp now f&%k off!

:D:D:D

Even though it is not in context with the original post, I'll assist you with the following corrections, which are in red;

I'm probably one of the worst spellers here. It doesn't mean shit really now, does it?

Shit aye,

I always thought probably, probaly. Well thats just how i pronounce it.

I bet your a english teacher :o

what I was saying was this was not the most rewarding nor appreciative career one could pick, no disrespect, though it would appear you intimate you worked at / for the Post Office, again, no disrespect, now shut the fuc up, but I mean that in a nice way, :o

U might be surprised. Working for Thai govermnent gives some pension afterwards. It's not a dead end, at least not in Western terms.

Thais working for companies or sweat shops have no social security.

People working for the government do. With a hint of some bribe, even better.

what I was saying was this was not the most rewarding nor appreciative career one could pick, no disrespect, though it would appear you intimate you worked at / for the Post Office, again, no disrespect, now shut the fuc up, but I mean that in a nice way, :o

U might be surprised. Working for Thai govermnent gives some pension afterwards. It's not a dead end, at least not in Western terms.

Thais working for companies or sweat shops have no social security.

People working for the government do. With a hint of some bribe, even better.

Government workers in Thailand are poorly paid.

thats a fact

Shouldn't the 'so what' have a question mark after it instead of an explanation mark?

Oh dear! I'm sorry about my bad use of English. I didn't read over the post before sending it, my fault and no excuses will be given.

My general point is that compared with many other countries, including the USA & Britain (on occasion), Thailand doesn't stand out as having particularly rude immigration staff. Cambodia stands out in my memory as having very rude officials. But then again this may be just my experience.

Shouldn't the 'so what' have a question mark after it instead of an explanation mark?

Explanation or exclamation? :o

No, it's rhetorical; he/she is not asking a question.

Explanation or exclamation? :o

No, it's rhetorical; he/she is not asking a question.

He

Crossy, temporarily digressing from the context of the original post, I'm sure that you & I (& perhaps a very few others) could spend WEEKS correcting the bad grammar presented by the majority of Thaivisa.com posters. I have a particular dislike for the word "ass" being used incorrectly. An "ass" is a small type of horse. An "arse" is generally associated with your "bum", as you may agree. So, is an "a_s_s h_o_l.e", a hole used (in some way) by small horses? I know that I'm 'splitting hairs' here but I'm also truly amused by the misuse of the 'Queens English'. It does have a certain 'comical' flavour.

This is unbelievable. :D

Mate, if poor grammar and spelling on this forum is one of the most concerning problem's in your life, I envy you. :D

Honestly, who gives a toss if an apostrophe is missed out? or the first letter of a sentence is in lower case? :D The forum's a bit of fun.........well, to me it is!! :D

Anyway, the grammar and spelling mishaps obviously offend you, so may I apologise for any relaxed, informal approach other TV'ers and I have had towards the forum in the past. :D we hang our heads in shame. :o

We wouldn't want anyone crying over an omitted semi-colon now, would we? :D

customs officers at sydney and Bkk airport alwas seem to go through my bag.

When i go to bkk my bags were searched 2 out of 3 times, when returning to Sydney they were searched every time.

My last trip back to Syd i was looking for my bag and an officer came right up to me asking me questions on why i went to Thailand and was questioning me for about 10 miins, then he wanted my passport then said my passport looks tampered with and took me into a little room.

Then they gave it back to me about 30 mins later and let me off.

I think they all justdont like the look of me

and you want to be a policeman you said???wow,,,,i already hate the site of a policeman without having to look at more horrible looking people!!!! :o

customs officers at sydney and Bkk airport alwas seem to go through my bag.

When i go to bkk my bags were searched 2 out of 3 times, when returning to Sydney they were searched every time.

My last trip back to Syd i was looking for my bag and an officer came right up to me asking me questions on why i went to Thailand and was questioning me for about 10 miins, then he wanted my passport then said my passport looks tampered with and took me into a little room.

Then they gave it back to me about 30 mins later and let me off.

I think they all justdont like the look of me

and you want to be a policeman you said???wow,,,,i already hate the site of a policeman without having to look at more horrible looking people!!!! :o

I would be a great policeman and you will love me

Please explain why you think it should have a question mark after it.

Please explain why you think it should have a question mark after it.

i think he meant the "so what" in the question "Im no spelling genius, so what."

not the "so what" in the sentence "So, what do you think about the 'emotionless' airport/immigration personnel?

i think - i dunno anymore...

ahhh whatever :o

i thought the topic was about the lack of smiles in the land of... well... smiles

Edited by rio666uk

This is unbelievable. :D

Mate, if poor grammar and spelling on this forum is one of the most concerning problem's in your life, I envy you. :D

Honestly, who gives a toss if an apostrophe is missed out? or the first letter of a sentence is in lower case? :D The forum's a bit of fun.........well, to me it is!! :D

Anyway, the grammar and spelling mishaps obviously offend you, so may I apologise for any relaxed, informal approach other TV'ers and I have had towards the forum in the past. :D we hang our heads in shame. :o

We wouldn't want anyone crying over an omitted semi-colon now, would we? :D

Obviously, you didn't 'get' the humour value attached to my post. I'm not 'picky'. Mostly, after some time spent upon analysing the grammar etc, I THINK I can actually understand what a poster means to say. However, MISUNDERSTANDING a post is not an uncommon thing, which invariably leads to a breakdown of communication & unnecessary controversy.

I'm not saying that we all need to be perfect at using English but I am saying that sometimes laziness (not aimed at non native English speakers) is a big problem.

By the way, commas are used to induce a 'pause' in the written conversation. In other words, one can make another speak or read a 'piece', in the way that it was intended to be read/spoken.

Nonetheless, let's get back to the subject at hand...what do we all think about the 'Loss of smiles' within the LOS?

Edited by elkangorito

Obviously, you didn't 'get' the humour value attached to my post.
I'm not 'picky'. Mostly, after some time spent upon analysing the grammar etc, I THINK I can actually understand what a poster means to say. However, MISUNDERSTANDING a post is not an uncommon thing, which invariably leads to a breakdown of communication & unnecessary controversy.

It comes back to the emoticons issue.

Without a :D or a :o or a :D, posts will always be accepted in a serious manner IMO.

:D

Hmm, I can see that miscommunication breeds tangental replies.

I guess I should have phrased it slightly differently.

Firstly, there are no jetlagged people on my flight - the duration is under 2 hours.

Then, when approaching the Immigration counter most people say hello as they meet an 'official' who can cause troubles.

Now, I guess I could have mentioned US or Australian or Singaporean or Japanese or whatever immigration but none of these countries prides itself and promotes itself as LAND OF SMILES. I have not seen a TV advert here saying "Visit Singapore, Island of Smiles" or "we welcome you to Australia, Land of Smiles".

That was the point I was trying to make; the lack of smiles from the first Thai person you might meet in the self-proclaimed Land of Smiles.

Edited by Sing_Sling