Using Apeks Regulator with Air & Nitrox

Simon1985

I am thinking about buying an Apeks Regulator. I want to use it to dive with Air and Nitrox but have read if I want to use it interchangeably between Air and Nitrox the breathing air should be oxygen compatible or hyper filtered whereas the condensed hydrocarbons do not exceed 0.1mg/m3. Standard compressed breathing air often referred to as Grade E does not meet this criterion. Is the breathing air in most dive shops in Phuket oxygen compatible or hyper filtered.

Just don't go too high on the oxygen pp in your Nitrox mix, which you won't do anyways if you plan to dive more than a few meters down, and regularly have the regs checked and cleaned (gaskets especially). The 'danger' here is that the oxygen will oxidize the hydrocarbons remainders causing you to breath some bad stuff. You most likely won't burst into flames underwater.

Nitrox is overrated anyways if you are diving with other people, you may have a bit more time on your tables, but 90% of your group will be on the surface gasping for air while you are still at 100BAR+

No, the air pumped on Phuket boats and at air fill stations cannot be said to be universally more filtered than Grade E. This isn't a problem, though, if you're diving recreational nitrox, up to 40%, with those regs. If you want to use them for richer mixes, say for deco gas, you would want dedicated O2 clean regs for that purpose.

• Like 1

Just don't go too high on the oxygen pp in your Nitrox mix, which you won't do anyways if you plan to dive more than a few meters down, and regularly have the regs checked and cleaned (gaskets especially). The 'danger' here is that the oxygen will oxidize the hydrocarbons remainders causing you to breath some bad stuff. You most likely won't burst into flames underwater.

Nitrox is overrated anyways if you are diving with other people, you may have a bit more time on your tables, but 90% of your group will be on the surface gasping for air while you are still at 100BAR+

Nitrox may give you more bottom time, but AFAIK it doesn't make you air go any further.

More to the point if you are diving with other divers on normal air your bottom time will be limited to their maximum unless you like diving by yourself.

AFAIK, there is not much of a problem using normal regulators on mixes below 40% 02, I see the only advantage is if you are using twin air bottles, it may be advantageous to a diver who has a low air use, but thats only if his buddie is on the same mix and air consumption.

The only other reason for its use would be, reduce surface intervals between dives, or more to the point less retained nitrogen for a second dive, or caution say a diver would be flying in 2 or 3 days.

The down side to it is it is just something else to get wrong.

Edited by Basil B

No, the air pumped on Phuket boats and at air fill stations cannot be said to be universally more filtered than Grade E. This isn't a problem, though, if you're diving recreational nitrox, up to 40%, with those regs. If you want to use them for richer mixes, say for deco gas, you would want dedicated O2 clean regs for that purpose.

Hi Quero, you said in a previous post you had an apeks regulator. Do you use your apeks reg interchangeably between Air and Nitrox as long as you don't go above 40%.

Yes I do, at least I do for the ones I use for air/nitrox backgas rather than for stage deco tanks.

I've got six Apeks first stages and six second stages. The ones that are dedicated to rich deco blends are never put on plain air tanks, but they're configured differently anyway (one first stage, one short hose second stage and a pressure gauge only), so there's not much risk of mistakenly putting them on an air tank and then having to re-clean them for use on deco bottles.

Edited by Quero