US ambassador mum on defrocked monk's visa status

webfact

US ambassador mum on defrocked monk's visa status
By English News

13748055406522.jpg

BANGKOK, July 26 – American ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney brushed aside a media question on whether the US government has revoked the visa of fugitive defrocked Thai Buddhist monk Wirapol Sukphon.

Ms Kenney merely said she did not discuss the issue during her meeting with Thai Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri yesterday.

The Thai consul general in the US has informed the Department of Special Investigation that it has submitted the case of Mr Wirapol, better for under his religious name as Luang Pu Nen Kham, to the American authorities, who were asked to revoke the ex-monk’s visa.

The consul general also confirmed that Mr Wirapol was not granted visas to enter European countries.

Ms Kenney, paying a courtesy call on Mr Chaikasem at the Justice Ministry, said the US is willing to cooperate with Thailand in continuing to develop justice procedures.

She also discussed with Mr Chaikasem solutions to human trafficking in Thailand – a long-standing problem which puts the kingdom on the US State Department’s Tier 2 Watch List. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-26

• Like 1

Ms Kenney, paying a courtesy call on Mr Chaikasem at the Justice Ministry, said the US is willing to cooperate with Thailand in continuing to develop justice procedures.

Let's his money finish, US will co-operate and he & justice will bring back to Thailand.

Ambassador Kenney has nothing to do visa for Thai monks. The questions should be directed to the State Department and John Kerry. Ambassador Kenney is doing a very good job. She has no control of what goes on in the United States.

She is though the US government representative in Thailand and she is entitled to be asked.

I don't expect the US to bend the law in regard to this guy, but I expect them to expedite this case. the US after all is particularly vociferous at going after suspected criminals overseas, it's time to return the favour.

Well, they bent if for a bloke with a conviction on the run. Quite how that was allowed to happen, god only knows. The murky world of keeping friends, no doubt.

• Like 2

I think I've become too accustomed to reading poor English.

I genuinely thought this article was about the Ambassador's mum's views on the defrocked monk.

Like wise!! the only reason I opened the post was because I was interested in what the US ambassadors Mom might have to say

Lmao! Same here. I thought how is the Ambassadors Mum on the monks visa status!

• Like 2

Ambassador Kenney has nothing to do visa for Thai monks. The questions should be directed to the State Department and John Kerry. Ambassador Kenney is doing a very good job. She has no control of what goes on in the United States.

*Deleted post edited out*

Spokesperson, no. Diplomat, yes. Sometimes, what they don't say is more important than what they do say...

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edited out

Ambassador Kenney is working for the State Department and is the best contact (messenger) between the Thai and the US government.

I do laugh at that picture "50 years of promoting world peace and friendship" but I might live on a different planet when I think about Vietnam, Laos. Cambodia, Dominican Republic, Grenada. Panama plus Afghanistan and Iraq.

In regards to the visa issue, I do think it was issued by the US Embassy in Bangkok.

I do laugh at that picture "50 years of promoting world peace and friendship"

Beat me to it.

• Like 1

none of my business, i don't sell or sold his amulets nor did i ever regarded him a "holy man'

it the farawaybrushaway show for me.

It might be better for the DSI to stake out Las Vegas area's

I think I've become too accustomed to reading poor English.

I genuinely thought this article was about the Ambassador's mum's views on the defrocked monk.

Yep same here.

Something like

"He's a very naughty boy. Now would you like a nice cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit dearie?"

She is though the US government representative in Thailand and she is entitled to be asked.

I don't expect the US to bend the law in regard to this guy, but I expect them to expedite this case. the US after all is particularly vociferous at going after suspected criminals overseas, it's time to return the favour.

Hmmm....what's going on with the former head of TAT's corruption case? Seems the Thais are not responding. Why should the US respond to this one?

Edited by lovetotravel
  • Like 1

I am not very familiar with the hierarchy of Buddism, but If the monk had be defrocked by an abbot, he wouldn't have been able

To get a visa as a Monk, which is much simpler.

ChuLai 6768

If the charges against this monk about sexual abuse of minors are based on evidence then he would have been extradited from France.

Now that he went to the USA it all depends on how much money he has to hire expensive lawyers.

There is the previous case of Phra Yantra

According to Thai officials, there was phsyical evidence (credit card receipts) as well as witness accounts of his sexual misconduct. According to a US immigration judge (who granted him political asylum) he was a victim of persecution due to his popularity and public criticisms of corruption. Where does the truth lie?

UNQUOTE

If the charges against this monk about sexual abuse of minors are based on evidence then he would have been extradited from France.

Now that he went to the USA it all depends on how much money he has to hire expensive lawyers.

There is the previous case of Phra Yantra

According to Thai officials, there was phsyical evidence (credit card receipts) as well as witness accounts of his sexual misconduct. According to a US immigration judge (who granted him political asylum) he was a victim of persecution due to his popularity and public criticisms of corruption. Where does the truth lie?

UNQUOTE

Didn't the film director Roman Polanski live in France for years to avoid under-age sex charges in the US?

Yes she is entitled to be asked but no reason for her to know as the

The Thai consul general in the US has informed the Department of Special Investigation that it has submitted the case of Mr Wirapol,

They are handeling the case and if you want the information just ask The Thai consul general in the US. The matter has been handled through other channels. There is no reason for her to keep track of the progress in other departments of the government. Because she didn't know the answer are you assuming that the States are not returning the favor. I would be more concerned with him eluding authorities and going to Dubai. His kind are welcome there.

The last I heard they did not know his where a bouts how ever they knew he had been in California.

Yes she is entitled to be asked but no reason for her to know as the

The Thai consul general in the US has informed the Department of Special Investigation that it has submitted the case of Mr Wirapol,

They are handeling the case and if you want the information just ask The Thai consul general in the US. The matter has been handled through other channels. There is no reason for her to keep track of the progress in other departments of the government. Because she didn't know the answer are you assuming that the States are not returning the favor. I would be more concerned with him eluding authorities and going to Dubai. His kind are welcome there.

The last I heard they did not know his where a bouts how ever they knew he had been in California.

How many times did u hit the Quote button................??? your post is showing up 5 times in a row ....??

Sorry, but US Ambassadors "are" the State Dept. and the extension of State Department and US policy. Any American should be disappointed about the decades of denial in the State Department about issues that are really going on and everyone really knows about. Abuse of humans, forced labor, trafficking in humans, illegal sex trade and sex tourism, opium, heroin, and marijuana trafficking, terrorist activity with global scale deaths of 10,000, trade with powers that are sanctioned by the US and on and on.

Americans must wonder about the conflicting position of the US with regarding to taking down military dictators and abusive leadership in other countries, interfering in the affairs of other countries such as China, Cuba, Venezuela, and others, and making statements about other countries behavior with the exception of Thailand. No other country besides Thailand gets a perpetual pass on US State Department position on these critical issues as sex trade, corruption, human trafficking, slave labor, child labor, infringement of copyright and theft of intellectual property as THailand.

What is this invisible power and manipulation that Thailand holds against the US that stifles the US speaking out publicly on Thailand while thinking nothing of speaking out on countless other nations? The US State Department and Obama administration should look carefully at this question so as not to appear in collusion with the corrupt, bribery led nation of Thailand. What really gives with the US on Thailand? What is it that we don't know about US/Thailand relations that keeps the US quiet on the reality of Thailand?

Hear hear ... and I firmly believe that as an American ambassador, attending a press conference in Thailand, she should have been prepared for questions relating to a Thai fugitive who was known to be staying in America. She should, therefore, have been able to provide an appropriate response.

It is irrelevant that she has no responsibility for visa issues, she has responsibility for responding to questions on all matters affecting both countries, and should have sought a brief relating to this case before attending the press conference.

• Like 1

Sorry, but US Ambassadors "are" the State Dept. and the extension of State Department and US policy. Any American should be disappointed about the decades of denial in the State Department about issues that are really going on and everyone really knows about. Abuse of humans, forced labor, trafficking in humans, illegal sex trade and sex tourism, opium, heroin, and marijuana trafficking, terrorist activity with global scale deaths of 10,000, trade with powers that are sanctioned by the US, rampant corruption and bribery, and on and on.

Americans must wonder about the conflicting position of the US with regarding to taking down military dictators and abusive leadership in other countries, interfering in the affairs of other countries such as China, Cuba, Venezuela, and others, and making statements about other countries behavior with the exception of Thailand. No other country besides Thailand gets a perpetual pass on US State Department position on these critical issues as sex trade, corruption, human trafficking, slave labor, child labor, infringement of copyright and theft of intellectual property as THailand.

What is this invisible power and manipulation that Thailand holds against the US that stifles the US speaking out publicly on Thailand while thinking nothing of speaking out on countless other nations? The US State Department and Obama administration should look carefully at this question so as not to appear in collusion with the corrupt, bribery led nation of Thailand. What really gives with the US on Thailand? What is it that we don't know about US/Thailand relations that keeps the US quiet on the reality of Thailand?

It's all explained in the weekly memo, to American citizens. Didn't you see it?