Elderly Englishman robbed at gunpoint in his own house

Rimmer

Elder Englishman Looted by Two Men in Pattaya

PATTAYA:--Pattaya Police are looking for two suspects who had looted over 60,000 THB from a retired Englishman at his own house.

PATTAYA – July 26, 2013 [PDN]; Police were called up to the house of 67 year-old Mr. John Robert Cook, an English national. He called up the police after he was looted by 2 men at his house. He said that as he was on his way home, two men approached him and told him to open a safe that was locked up in his house. At first he refused to do so, but when they pulled a gun and pointed it at his forehead, he decided to follow their orders. The Englishman said that his cash money of over 50,000 THB was taken as well as his Samsung smartphone.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/07/26/elder-englishman-looted-by-two-men-in-pattaya/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-07-26

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why use the word "Looted" when it was clearly armed-robbery/burglary.

Also bit draft to have the safe in plain sight on the wall - when the air-con unit is cleaned it will be public knowledge in hours.

Unbelivable yet again ! You have a good name pattaya

You right, in Phuket you just get stabbed in the heart over a handbag.

While in bkk shot just by being in the wrong place

or hacked to death with a samurai sword for complaining when a taxi driver rips you off.

• Like 1

Also bit draft to have the safe in plain sight on the wall - when the air-con unit is cleaned it will be public knowledge in hours.

I realize people are different, but why would you even bother to have 50K in the safe? may be gold or diamonds i can understand, but cash?!

I see the Pattaya bashers have got their heads out of their rear end long enough to make more inane comments.coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Re the article - That isn't a safe, it's a 2,000 baht piece of junk that could be opened by hitting it with a limp fish. Don't know why the bad guys bothered to get him to open it, they could have opened it in a flash or just wrenched it off the wall. And it's in the most stupid place imaginable - should be concealed in a cupboard or something.

I've got a large free standing safe that weighs about 120kg. Whenever I move house it's wrapped in cardboard so it can't be recognised for what it is, always make sure nobody sees where it is by concealing it inside the house, and only ever open it when by myself. I only have documents in it plus the wife's gold that she paid for - no incentive for her to be involved in the infamous "inside job" that the TV pundits are so good at speculating on. She knows I have short arms and deep pockets and will not be replacing the gold if "stolen". Anyway, she's got the combination and second key.

Keep cash in the bank, much safer.

Many years ago I went to a seminar / talk in Pattaya about security, presented by an English guy.

Some points that I recall in regard to safes:

- If you buy a safe, take it home yourself well wrapped in plain paper / cardboard etc., with help from 1 trusted friend if really needed.

- Select the best time, perhaps after dark with all lights out, to take it out of your vehicle and into the house.

- Don't give the shop your address, and pay by cash not credit card.

- If it's a good quality safe it probably comes with instructions on how to bolt it to the floor etc.

- Take the challenge and install it yourself, even if you have to buy a heavy duty drill etc.

- Put it inside of an existing cupboard if possible, and ensure the existing cupboard has at least a simple lock and keep it locked at all times.

- Make strict rules for yourself and follow them in regard to when / who is present when you unlock the outer cupboard and the actual safe.

- When needed wait, even if it's inconvenient, to open up.

- Don't install it in a main room where others will likely see it or see you open it.

- Don't tell anybody that you have a safe.

The presenter had a set of PowerPoint slides with lots of photos, news clippings etc., to support all of the above.

• Like 2

I see the Pattaya bashers have got their heads out of their rear end long enough to make more inane comments.coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Re the article - That isn't a safe, it's a 2,000 baht piece of junk that could be opened by hitting it with a limp fish. Don't know why the bad guys bothered to get him to open it, they could have opened it in a flash or just wrenched it off the wall. And it's in the most stupid place imaginable - should be concealed in a cupboard or something.

I've got a large free standing safe that weighs about 120kg. Whenever I move house it's wrapped in cardboard so it can't be recognised for what it is, always make sure nobody sees where it is by concealing it inside the house, and only ever open it when by myself. I only have documents in it plus the wife's gold that she paid for - no incentive for her to be involved in the infamous "inside job" that the TV pundits are so good at speculating on. She knows I have short arms and deep pockets and will not be replacing the gold if "stolen". Anyway, she's got the combination and second key.

Many years ago I went to a seminar / talk in Pattaya about security, presented by an English guy.

Some points that I recall in regard to safes:

- If you buy a safe, take it home yourself well wrapped in plain paper / cardboard etc., with help from 1 trusted friend if really needed.

- Select the best time, perhaps after dark with all lights out, to take it out of your vehicle and into the house.

- Don't give the shop your address, and pay by cash not credit card.

- If it's a good quality safe it probably comes with instructions on how to bolt it to the floor etc.

- Take the challenge and install it yourself, even if you have to buy a heavy duty drill etc.

- Put it inside of an existing cupboard if possible, and ensure the existing cupboard has at least a simple lock and keep it locked at all times.

- Make strict rules for yourself and follow them in regard to when / who is present when you unlock the outer cupboard and the actual safe.

- When needed wait, even if it's inconvenient, to open up.

- Don't install it in a main room where others will likely see it or see you open it.

- Don't tell anybody that you have a safe.

The presenter had a set of PowerPoint slides with lots of photos, news clippings etc., to support all of the above.

excellent advice

• Like 1

I realize people are different, but why would you even bother to have 50K in the safe? may be gold or diamonds i can understand, but cash?!

Perhaps they were in his other safe.

• Like 2

Doesn't take much to invite someone into your house and their "brothers" come around later for an easy target.

I don't see the point in keeping that much cash in your house when atm's are on every corner. Still, they could have easily forced him into withdrawing some cash as well.

I had before safebox in my house Isaan.

170 kg and when we where holidays in Kho Chang. Somebody robbered it and throw out from the second floor window .

Lose all about 200.000 bath.

Never buy safebox in your own house.

Better open safebox in Bank and pay about 1800 Bath in a year.

Best regards

EO

Three times robbered in Isaan.

• Like 1

Good plan. Have one low value safe and one high value safe. When you get robbed, you open the safe with £50 and tinned vegetables inside.

Good plan. Have one low value safe and one high value safe. When you get robbed, you open the safe with £50 and tinned vegetables inside.

Your low value safe is called a refrigerator in my place biggrin.png

Welcome to Thailand...The hub of safe retirement in this part of the world.

U are right,this doesnt happens anywhere but Thailand,or we could actualy say Pattaya.

Yep, in Phuket they just kill you and take the safe and break it open.

• Like 1

Here's a plan.

Never carry more cash & valuables or keep more cash and valuables in your home than you can afford to lose.

Ask yourself, are your valuables really worth being injured or your life? If not, smile and give them up when someone points a gun or pulls a knife on you.

I've been robbed and it is a terrible experience, but I lived to tell the tale and I'm grateful that I did.

Losing a 50,000 Bt (1065£) like Mr. Cook lost is less than one month's living expenses and isn't much compared to hospital or funeral costs.

Personally I would happily give up items a lot more valuable than 50,000Bt for one more day without a bullet hole in me.

Is it regertable that Mr. Cook got robbed? Absolutely, but rember, he lived to tell the tail.

• Like 1

I see the Pattaya bashers have got their heads out of their rear end long enough to make more inane comments.coffee1.gif

120KG wrapped in cardboard requiring I would think about 4 guys to carry it...?? Ummmmmm... Thai's you are saying are not smart huh...?? What the hell else could weigh so much and be wrapped in cardboard .. Duh........???

• Like 2

I had before safebox in my house Isaan.

170 kg and when we where holidays in Kho Chang. Somebody robbered it and throw out from the second floor window .

Lose all about 200.000 bath.

Never buy safebox in your own house.

Better open safebox in Bank and pay about 1800 Bath in a year.

Best regards

EO

Three times robbered in Isaan.

Hmm...I live in Isaan, have for years.

Sorry to say but to me it sounds that you have someone in your own family robbing you or at least assisting the "burglar". I live in a small village and have two dogs and neighbors dogs and their observing eyes seem to notice everything going on. Never have had one thing taken from my yard which is quite amazing since I have no gate.

When gone, have hired a guy who does my garden to stay at the house (one room in the front reserved for him, he works as a gardener in the local school and was recommended to me).

I have a safe. It contains my personal papers, land papers (chanote), some rather cheap jewelry (no gold or such) and personal memorabilia that I just don't like to let anyone touch. Also family book and other documents stay in it so the Thai habit of saying they don't know where some papers are, doesn't happen in my household.

I would estimate that the safe might have some money in it sometimes up to 20000 baht if I carry more cash at times but no way would I leave hundred of thousands of baht in it under any circumstances. I keep my cash in a bank and never had any trouble with them.

To me, someone saying that he has been robbed 3 times, starts ringing all the alarm bells. Where was your family? Or just leaving your valuables in a house in the middle of jungle? Sounds very strange to me. I would be very concerned...

• Like 2

Unbelivable yet again ! You have a good name pattaya

You right, in Phuket you just get stabbed in the heart over a handbag.

While in bkk shot just by being in the wrong place

I understand Manchester has it's vulnerable areas as well..........................