Hilton Lunch Buffet Took A Nose Dive

JimmyTheMook

Indeed...

My wife and I really liked the Friday seafood buffet, and went many times.

Went last Friday to find that they had raised the price from 420 THB to 480 THB (as well as prices on alcohol - a glass of Prosecco was 300 THB!), had removed both oysters and mussels from the menu, and really skimped on the crab. The seafood bisque contained nothing but the broth.

The roast turkey was perfectly cooked and delicious - but that is not what one goes to a seafood buffet to enjoy.

Sadly, no more visits unless they make some changes...

I found that when they last increased the prices a few weeks ago they also increased the quality of the ingredients, and the improvement was noticeable. However after a couple of weeks the quality had started to edge downwards again though it is still better than it was before.

I particularly noticed the increase in price of water from 30B to 50B, on the pretext that the bottle is now 600ml instead of 500ml. ie It costs them 7B to buy instead of 6B and so they increase their selling price by 60%.

As for oysters in the Friday lunchtime buffet, I cant say that I remember seeing those at any time over the past year or two. In the evening and for Sunday brunch, yes, but the price then is double the regular lunchtime meal or more.

They used to give free water but then insisted you must buy water. 5 star restaurant with plastic bottles all over the table. I'm just nit picking. It's the best!

Same thing at the Chiang Mai Grand View. Food is still sort of okay but they now Charge for Water.

Best place in CNX is still the Empress although they just jacked-up the price....but the Water is still free!

If you like a great Buffet treat yourself every now and then to the best in town - Saturday nights at either the Royal Cliff or the Dusit - fantastic selectkion

I never been to the Hilton buffet but attended the Dusit one numerous times, however I stopped when the price was 1500 Bht without drinks, and that was several years ago so I assume the price has gone up since.

Other people i know have attended both Dusit and Hilton buffets, and swear by Hilton now. I guess the +1000 Baht premium for the Dusit buffet can not be justified.

If you're looking for good value for money then stick to the Lek or Apex buffets.

Don't expect decent taste or quality though. These places are more about all you can eat. I rather go somewhere else and pay a little more for less food that I actually want.

• Like 2

If you're looking for good value for money then stick to the Lek or Apex buffets.

I went to both of these places ...one time.

YUK. Depressing.

Cheapest ingredients prepared by people that do not care....

So, just to be sure.........what will a Friday or Saturday evening buffet cost me?

At the Hilton? Very close to 1000B on Friday and a bit less on Saturday, I think. Sunday brunch is still 1200B, again as far as I know (caviar, foie gras etc.).

They do have more expensive ingredients in the evening (real cheese etc) but I'm not sure that at double the weekday lunchtime price it is as good value. I suppose it all depends on what sort of things you eat. Personally I dont really care for the very expensive ingredients though cheese is nice.

If I wanted to spend that amount on an evening weekend meal then I would probably go to the Royal Cliff instead.

Not surprised.Last time I was there I noticed many voices of people (nationality starts with K) who have no taste and will basically be suckers for bad food. I guess the Hilton noticed and took advantage.

Are there really that many people from Kyrgyzstan in Pattaya that the Hilton would use them as the basis for setting the food quality for their lunch buffet? How remarkably astute of you to notice! whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

The people who go to places like the Lek Buffet need to get a grip, if you are so poor that you have to frequent such places, suggest you stay at home and open a tin of Beans.

for those that do like good food, as i have said before try the Mercure!

Here is an observation , the German managers who always seemed to be present during the lunch buffet are gone or at least no longer around the dining area - maybe removing them put a serious hurt on the quality control on what is being served.

Here is an observation , the German managers who always seemed to be present during the lunch buffet are gone or at least no longer around the dining area - maybe removing them put a serious hurt on the quality control on what is being served.

They were still there a couple of weeks ago when I last went.

Quality control (in theory at least) should be in the kitchen and in the hands of the head chef.