Thailand's medical students urged not to market health drinks

webfact

Medical students urged not to market health drinks
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Society of Medical Students of Thailand (SMST) yesterday called on medical students to stop being presenters of intellect-enhancing drinks, citing a violation of professional ethics and endangering their schools' image and integrity.

Skol Charoenweerakul, who chairs the SMST, said such acts were deemed inappropriate because the public might conclude that the students and the medical schools had made a business deal with the manufacturers of the drink.

Violation of ethics

"It is also a violation of professional ethics, under which companies are not allowed to benefit from a medical student's image or cash in on the SMST, the medical school and the medical practice," he added.

The manufacturer of one such drink has been the key sponsor of a large tutorial scheme for high-school students preparing for university entrance exams.

A series of television and radio commercials usually depict medical and other students consuming this drink.

The SMST, which is under the patronage of Her Royal Highness Princess Chulabhorn Valayalaksana, said it would be issuing a statement on the issue to the manufacturer.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-27

Since when has professional ethics been important in this fair country?

Money, prestige, the obligatory Warhol 15 minutes of fame - he was right by the way - and a warped idea of sanook at any cost seem to be the order of the day here.

As usual.

"It is also a violation of professional ethics, under which companies are not allowed to benefit from a medical student's image or cash in on the SMST, the medical school and the medical practice," he added.

Note to the medical school's governing body. Since it's already clear, tell the companies and students involved to stop and respectively threaten them with legal action and expulsion if they do not comply.

Easy.

• Like 1

intellect-enhancing drinks

Is there no consumer protection agency or truth in advertising law here?

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Simply...NO..NONE..ZILCH. our companies would not market whitening rubbish either abslook at all the so called BEAUTY clinics. ROT RUBBISH LIES

• Like 1

Any medical student advertising such a drink as enhancing intelligence should be immediately expelled for actually buying into such nonsense!

Not surprised a tutorial school is involved. They aren't exactly shining beacons of morality in this country...

• Like 1

I can only refer you to a well respected Cliff Claven Buffalo theory:

Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

The problem in this country, the slowest buffalo is often at the front as they are the wealthiest/most connected.....so they slow down the whole herd, allowing culling of the smarter but poorer ones:)

• Like 1

Any medical student advertising such a drink as enhancing intelligence should be immediately expelled for actually buying into such nonsense!

Not surprised a tutorial school is involved. They aren't exactly shining beacons of morality in this country...

Never would happen outside Thailand

Never said it wouldn't......

and this is 2013....not 1953.

Edited by culicine
  • Like 2

There are, but the manufacturers of many items are simply too powerful.

Shouldn't be like this but rightly or wrongly it is.

Baby formula is another case in point.

I am surprised that this issue is a violation of professional ethics, yet as a Doctor, selling 8 different types of medicine to a gullible Thai who went in with a runny nose. Administering antibiotics to children on every possible occasion from sprained wrists to viral infections and even the common cold seems to be 'ethical', as does ensuring that every child who is taken to hospital with a minor ailment is told that they must be admitted (as there are still beds unsold) and the first thing that occurs regardless of symptoms is that an IV drip is fitted. As for 'companies' benefitting from the medical practice, that is what the pharma companies do 24/7.

Regarding some company coming up with the idea that their drinks can intellectually enhance the abilities of medical students, why bother with lowly students, surely a free sponsorship and trial period with the PM should assure them of Global success if it's true.

• Like 1

If it is a health drink made by a food and drinks manufacturer then there is one thing you can be 100% sure of - it will be unhealthy!!!!

There is this thing in Western countries called "The Hippocratic Oath". Long ago I felt that it did/does not exist here. If I see/saw a Doctor/Medical student advertising something on TV I avoid it. If a Western Doctor offers me a trial drug for anything from Zits to arthritis, a second opinion would be sought. I have found good medical treatment here, although I don't pay attention to the price until the bill as I have worldwide insurance coverage used in the last year. Everything went fine.

• Like 1

"The Society of Medical Students of Thailand (SMST) yesterday called on medical students to stop being presenters of intellect-enhancing drinks"

They should know better. The traditional intellect-enhancing drinks (LaoKhao & SangSom) already have no positive impact on the population.

On the other hand: intellect-enhanced Thais, isn’t that scary?

However, if the stuff really works, why the heck is nobody donating a couple of barrels to the ear medicine enthusiast?

Nope!

Hey they drink chicken essence, (which if you stopped and tried to understand what that actually means, you would never consider it) for longevity, and mental acuity. I presume all the chickens died of old age and had an IQ of 150?????????

I've been in the factory. It is something to behold.

A doctor told me a few months ago that she was concerned that after she and her husband died there wouldn't be a doctor in the family. She added that all the young doctors now being churned out know next to nothing and are solely interested in money. I've come across a couple who would have trouble acquiring a Boy Scouts first aid badge; another quoted 5K baht for treating a septic blister on my toe.

One good thing about Bumrungrad is that you can carry out a check the qualifications of the doctors employed there. Other private hospitals please follow.