flooding in mid Sept in Chiang Mai?

pachoderm

Newbie here. Was hoping to avoid the tail end of the rainy season but am now arriving earlier than anticipated in Chiang Mai (mid-Sept). Assuming thats it going to be pretty wet although it seems to vary. Wondering if anyone can recommend budget accommodation that is away from the main flooding areas? Also, have they managed to get on top of the Dengue fever outbreaks which I noticed some writing about last year on this forum?

thanks for your attention.

My house was surrounded by water a few days ago after very heavy rain at 0530. From the photos posted here, the city was the same, but the water seemed a bit confined by walls and sois.

Congratulations on arriving just as it's all started, and hopefully the dengue doesn't hit the city, as it seems ot have in the outer towns.

As for accommodation, try a condo. The ground level is usually car parks and the residential bits are going to be above any flooding, should it occur. Nakornping condo cars are parked from the next level and higher.

• Like 1

September is still at risk for flooding but hopefully they manage the water better this year. 2 years ago we got nailed really bad in September.

When it rains lately the ground is very saturated so it is slow in absorption but real flooding only happens when the river raises at least 2 more feet from where it is now.

I think that we will be fine this year.

The problem with housing away from the main flooding areas is that there isn't a main flooding area. There are different areas throughout chiang mai that tend to flood more but they are not localized. On the road that I live south of us will get flooded and north of us will get flooded but we don't get flooded. So even though our yard is dry we cannot really leave our house.

CMU area seems to remain dryer for the most part but there are some streets that are lower than others that get nailed.

• Like 1

Heavy downpours can lead to temporary "flooding", ankle deep water and difficulty driving, anywhere in Chiang Mai, but the flooding that results in areas under water for days primarily occurs near the river. If you stay in the vicinity of the old city or someplace west of there you will avoid the latter type of flooding.

Dengue is in Chiang Mai, a friend told me some people in her apartment building and students at CMU have been infected, however most people manage to avoid it. The mosquitos that carry Dengue are moderately large and have white stripes, but rather than attempting to ID the mosquito biting you it's better to avoid bites from all mosquitos. I wear long pants and socks and light the occasional mosquito coil, but there are many other ways to avoid mosquito bites and I'm sure people will offer many suggestions.

• Like 1

Not that it is a problem here in Chiang Mai but I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Pai and he was saying they were getting reports of Malaria from some of the Hill Tribes.

He also said there was a lot of cases of Dengue fever up there.

Indeed it has been dry more than usual , But...here on the North of Chiangmai it has been raining 2 days non stop , and no sign of stopping yet , no very hard rain but from my experience if it keeps going for a week and heavy downpours between and more rain after , Chiangmai ping Will be flooded rapidly , can go very quick , but still a no no , need more heavy days for this and it will flood here first anyway . Think it will be moderate if it happens , like apprx 7 years ago not at all as 2 years ago , that was a once in a couple of decades happening .

Edited by tijnebijn
  • Like 1

Indeed it has been dry more than usual , But...here on the North of Chiangmai it has been raining 2 days non stop , and no sign of stopping yet , no very hard rain but from my experience if it keeps going for a week and heavy downpours between and more rain after , Chiangmai ping Will be flooded rapidly , can go very quick , but still a no no , need more heavy days for this and it will flood here first anyway . Think it will be moderate if it happens , like apprx 7 years ago not at all as 2 years ago , that was a once in a couple of decades happening .

I'm north of CM (Mae Rim) and it's only rained 1 hour each day.

• Like 1

I'm north of CM (Mae Rim) and it's only rained 1 hour each day.

much much further North my friend ....as I said for the last 2,5 days now , still raining , but getting less .....there is much more needed for flooding , not close yet , as I said you never know when a few supertorms pass ....hope it won't .

Edited by tijnebijn

Agreed, Im in Mae Rim too and the grass is really growing fast with all this rain. Still the temperature is nice and cool. Cant complain about that. Just puts a damper on jumping on the bike and going for a run into the city.