Record dengue epidemic looms for Thailand

Lite Beer

Some of the posts were interesting to say the least. There are still no medications for the dengue virus itself. You have to wait it out and let it run its course. I have had dengue about 5 years ago. I was in peak physical shape train hard at gym 5 days a week and eat very healthily and have no medical issues. Dengue kicked my ass in straight sets 6-love 6-love 6-love. The hospital did not recognise the symptoms but a friend of mine from Malaysia did so I requested the hospital to checked me for Dengue (they thought I had a bladder infection...lol). I did not hospitalise myself but in hind sight I probably should have although my confidence in the hospital was at an all time low with their misdiagnosis and general bungling as the pain killers prescribed by the hospital where actually contraindicated for Dengue as they promoted haemorrhaging and I resorted to getting my information on the internet which I must say was actually much more helpful than the hospital I attended. There are four strains of Dengue and the different strains appear to have different effects on those infected. I have known quite a few people who have said the effects of the infection were "not that bad". All I can say is that they probably did not have the strain I experienced! I can handle pain...trust me. I flew to the UK 3 years ago after almost completely severing the end of my finger off in a slammed door. Apart from the local anaesthetic when the sowed it all back together I did not take any medicine for pain before or after the operation (it was 3 days before the put it all back together). The Dengue I experienced was almost unbearable in the sense that I felt so weak, sick and incapacitated that if a doctor had told me you will feel this way for the rest of your life i would have requested he dispatch me immediately!

• Like 1

I'm sitting next to a man in his 60's who has had Dengue 6 times so far,

and expecting it again. He has 20 years here, but the Dengue is all in the last 6 or 7.

I had it once 4 years ago, that was enough.

I still get the feeling there is some lingering in me even now.

Edited by animatic

I'm an old codger and had it two times. Guess there is an advantage to getting old. Eat your hearts out 15-24 year olds!

Not sure about the wisdom nor advantage here.

I have had it twice too and it sucks. From what i understand there is low immunity benefited from a previous infection. You can readily get it as often as it presents.

and expecting it again. He has 20 years here, but the Dengue is all in the last 6 or 7.

So what exactly are the symptoms?

So what exactly are the symptoms?
Starts with aches and pains like a bad flu, sniffles, but without the stuffy nose.

Then brief flashes of colors if you turn your head to fast.

Transient vertigo like you have an inner ear infect.

Next day aka "Bone Break Day"

You wake up and feel 90 years old,

Joints screaming at any movement.

General weakness. General strong thirst.

Inability to hold you weight balanced with confidence.

It took me 2 hours to dare come down the stairs, and then bumping on my butt.

Transient fevers and confusions going on a month or more.

You feel mentally fine, and 30 minutes later decision making is inop.

The feeling there are 'corkscrew bugs' in your muscles.

General fatigue for 1-3 months.

These last are long term, but gradually fade away.

still even 6 months later I would get a twinge of these again.