7 Foreign Nationals Arrested In 20 Million Baht Foreign ATM Card Fraud

Lite Beer

Wow very bad crime----Stealing money from a Bank, I guess there be the usual calls for them to be hung.................cheesy.gif

It`s not the bank they steal from, Sherlock, but customers. These ATM cards have been obtained by using skimming divices in advance.

These now empty bank accounts could be yours or mine, so yes, I would call for the hanging brigade every day of the week in this case.

Btw, try to get your stolen money back from the banks in Thailand.. Good luck with that.

Sherlock, as you say, if it simply were skimming devices then the localisation of the problem wouldn't be so bad, ie a better chance to isolate catch offenders.

But this is a result of a much broader global scamming scheme where data once mined in one place, is distributed anywhere, globally for the many ready people like this to exploit. Pattaya is just an obvious place to test this shit.

I would much more comfortable if sherlock was right and it was just skimmers. This is much more organised than the idiots in the photos represent.

Secure you data guys and get a thorough program/regime [non-software preferably with an idiosyncratic factor] for generating and changing passwords for your financial accounts.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/feds-indict-largest-hacking-data-theft-ring-us/story?id=19772118

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are all the foreigners Ukrainian or just the leader?

Wonder how they got caught?

The Siam Commercial Bank first alerted the Police to the problem

Seems like the bank was on the ball.

I had a big big problem with a K Bank account and they were really on the ball.Shut everything down before I even knew anything was wrong.Excellent service,and also by the Thai Police.

From what I have read about the numerous scams involving ATM cards is that frequently, it is not Thai accounts but European or American accounts. It seems to me that U.S. and European banks would ask the customer to identify what countries they will be using the card from frequently and then code it so that countries outside of this area would be blocked unless the cardholder contacted the bank about a planned holiday and the dates.

I also totally agree that it is a disgrace that Thai banks don't have consumer protection plans like U.S. and European banks have. I think their should be limited liability for the cardholder for fraud - especially when in Thailand it is often employees of the bank who are involved.

From what I have read about the numerous scams involving ATM cards is that frequently, it is not Thai accounts but European or American accounts. It seems to me that U.S. and European banks would ask the customer to identify what countries they will be using the card from frequently and then code it so that countries outside of this area would be blocked unless the cardholder contacted the bank about a planned holiday and the dates.

I also totally agree that it is a disgrace that Thai banks don't have consumer protection plans like U.S. and European banks have. I think their should be limited liability for the cardholder for fraud - especially when in Thailand it is often employees of the bank who are involved.

There are limits stated by your bank. 20.000 bath for each withdrawel, usually 50.000 a day for thai ATM cards. Can be changed by yourself to 200.000 if wanted.

I think you will find that the limitation is within the ATM itself and is twenty notes per transaction.

So if it's loaded with 1,000 Baht notes x20 = 20,000 Baht.

...but if it's near empty and only has 100 Baht notes x20 = 2,000 Baht (but you still play the 150 Baht fee for overseas cards or 20 Baht for non "home" ATMs for your own Thai Bank etc)

This is not true I had an account with Bangkok bank that I used to purchase products to export with a 50k daily limit and could draw 50 k in one transaction however I should add this bwas several years ago.

Didn't know Bangkok bank had 50k transaction limit,max I have seen was 30k.

My cards have a 50k limit (which makes little difference has would have to use the machine 3 times to get it). My wife's card also - all Bangkok Bank. Might have changed as these accounts are at least 5 years old at the newest and the other older still.

Many years ago (OK not that many - about 10) a friend of mine, a Thai man living in the UK at the time, had one of his bank accounts in Thailand emptied. The Thai police contacted him several times. It turned out the bank manger has been raiding accounts that saw little use. He lost 8,000 Gbp (I guess around b600k at the time). The guy had done a runner with all the cash, although he had been consistently stealing it for many years - so it would suggest he was tipped off of the police involvement.

The bank manager turned out to be a distant relative of my Thai friend and he was urged not to push for charges (which he did anyway - he was angry). The bank manager was never caught (of course) and the money never returned and was not repaid by the bank even though it was their senior employee that had illegally taken it.

I guess he could have sued the bank, but what were his chances? and what was the likelihood he would recoup the 8k and not just cost himself even more? So, he didn't - he lived with the loss - like I guess all the others robbed.

This is why I only put enough money in Thai banks as I need for the month - the rest stays where the bank and government protect it!

There are limits stated by your bank. 20.000 bath for each withdrawel, usually 50.000 a day for thai ATM cards. Can be changed by yourself to 200.000 if wanted.

I think you will find that the limitation is within the ATM itself and is twenty notes per transaction.

...but if it's near empty and only has 100 Baht notes x20 = 2,000 Baht (but you still play the 150 Baht fee for overseas cards or 20 Baht for non "home" ATMs for your own Thai Bank etc)

This is not true I had an account with Bangkok bank that I used to purchase products to export with a 50k daily limit and could draw 50 k in one transaction however I should add this bwas several years ago.

My cards have a 50k limit (which makes little difference has would have to use the machine 3 times to get it). My wife's card also - all Bangkok Bank. Might have changed as these accounts are at least 5 years old at the newest and the other older still.

I know you can change the daily limit. The earlier post said that he could withdraw 50k in ONE transaction, and that if true was news to me.