American Style Breakfast?

NCC1701A

Well my vote goes to Art Cafe although I haven't been to the Garden or B is B. Bake and Bite is good too and open at 6am which for me is a huge plus.

I roundly condemn any breakfast place that serves instant coffee or fake OJ or doesn't open til 9am but won't name names.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butter is Better has great American breakfast. Build your own with pancakes, eggs, bacon, sasuage, omelette.....best freshest coffee in town. On Chang Klan south of Pantip Plaza 1 block

OP wanted it affordable, though.

IMO, Bake and Bite, Art Cafe, Butter is Better and Pun Pun are all quite affordable, but none is cheap. There are a few very cheap breakfasts around town, but none with the variety or quality of these places.

re

Is that the Soi with the segway rental on the corner?

yes !

go past the front of flight of the gibbon office

at the first crossroads go straight on for about 500 yards and inter inn is on the left

directly opposite the garden smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-12382000-1375229627_thumb.j

If you leave the Pun Pun hungry, it's your fault. John will go out of his way to give you what you want, which doesn't happen at a lot of Thai restaurants. I think most of you know what i mean, " can i have whole wheat toast with that? No No, is a set, have to order extra"

Butter is Better has great American breakfast. Build your own with pancakes, eggs, bacon, sasuage, omelette.....best freshest coffee in town. On Chang Klan south of Pantip Plaza 1 block

Actually our prices are in line with many of the places that are repeatedly recommended in this thread. Which this poster would know if he ever actually dined at our place within the past couple of years. Instead he continues to nurse a sad and peculiar grudge against us.

Edited by butterisbetter
  • Like 1

I cook eggs at home quite often. I have always loved sunnyside or easyover eggs but over the years have shied away from having them that way due to bacteria concerns. Looking at Pun Puns pic of these lovely 3 eggs, I was wondering how safe is it to eat them that way in Thailand?

Actually our prices are in line with many of the places that are repeatedly recommended in this thread. Which this poster would know if he ever actually dined at our place within the past couple of years. Instead he continues to nurse a sad and peculiar grudge against us.

What thaimancnx describes is not cheap.

For delicious, very affordable, American breakfasts Sausage King can't be beaten - to the best of my knowledge... In fact I think I might head there now!

For the princely sum of 99Baht he serves 2 lovely sausages, 2 good big rashers of bacon, 2 eggs how you like them, fried tomatoes, fried potato chunks, 2 toast with jam and butter, and tea or coffee - now that's value; all served in a lovely garden setting. It is well out of town, but worth the travel to me.

I can only think that this is almost a loss-leader, as there can't be much profit in that. While, you are there you also get the extensive frozen take away food menu. I usually spend a fair amount on that, but that stuff is also great value in my opinion. Tasty and fairly priced, with a 10% expat discount too. Hoorah!

For delicious, very affordable, American breakfasts Sausage King can't be beaten - to the best of my knowledge... In fact I think I might head there now!

For the princely sum of 99Baht he serves 2 lovely sausages, 2 good big rashers of bacon, 2 eggs how you like them, fried tomatoes, fried potato chunks, 2 toast with jam and butter, and tea or coffee - now that's value; all served in a lovely garden setting. It is well out of town, but worth the travel to me.

I can only think that this is almost a loss-leader, as there can't be much profit in that. While, you are there you also get the extensive frozen take away food menu. I usually spend a fair amount on that, but that stuff is also great value in my opinion. Tasty and fairly priced, with a 10% expat discount too. Hoorah!

That does sound very good and great value also.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

If you are not worried about the cost.Then absolute best fluffiest omlette that I have ever had. In thailand or elsewhere was at the CHEDI corner of Charoen Prathet and Sridonchai road. You have to book the tables under the huge Fig tree right on the bank of the Mae Nam Ping. A quiet river view, great service while while you sample the best omlette. Life just doesnt get much better.

Re-reading the OP again, I still think that reads Mad Dog or UN Irish, Blue Diamond or the Northlands place (and a ton of similar guesthouses) that was suggested.

(Keeping the 'cheap' and 'watch the world go by' requirements firmly in mind; nowhere does it say that authenticity from any particular US region is a requirement.)

The OP probably isn't even American, he's looking for a cheap, Western style breakfast with some eggs, toast and coffee.

Anybody know of a good place for a cheap American style breakfast in Chiang Mai. I am thinking not in a major hotel because it would be to expensive. I am thinking like a omelet of some sort, sliced tomatoes, toast, coffee. Maybe some place small or medium size with maybe outside seating where you can watch the world go by? Or maybe who cares about cost, where is the best place? Thanks.

So if that's me by myself then I pick Mad Dog. (Because I don't mind the parade of Lord of the Rings extras they have for clientele), or if it's with the wife and kids then I pick UN Irish or Blue Diamond.

(I wouldn't pick Northlands because I associate that too much with being a shorttime hotel.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I cook eggs at home quite often. I have always loved sunnyside or easyover eggs but over the years have shied away from having them that way due to bacteria concerns. Looking at Pun Puns pic of these lovely 3 eggs, I was wondering how safe is it to eat them that way in Thailand?

Vagabond48, the eggs in the photo are available as such, but most folks request over easy or scrambled. I, myself prefer them over easy, so as to be able to sop up the yoke with the dripping, buttered, french bread toast. But the picture looks much better as sunny side up.

To the poster who wanted to know where The Pun Pun is located, here is a map...

MaptoThePunPun-2.jpg

and to some other posters...... whatya think you are gonna live for ever????? eat what you want while you are here..... be happy,,,,, and when you go , let your pallbears worry if they can carry you or not... Good on ya.... 91 year old.... now lets see who can break that record.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

(I wouldn't pick Northlands because I associate that too much with being a shorttime hotel.)

Sounds like a great place to kill two bird with one stone, but if all you want is someplace to eat generic OJ, eggs, toast, bacon and coffee the price can't be beat.

Gonzo, thanks for the reply but I was looking for replies concerning eating undercooked eggs like sunnyside or easyover in Thailand.

Eggs here are typically stored unrefrigerated before sold to the public so are the chances of getting salmonella greater if you eat them as described above?

Right now I usually eat my eggs scrambled or as an omelet but I don't overcook them.

Edited by vagabond48

wow this thread is great so far. thanks for all the inexpensive breakfast suggestions. It would take someone months to find all these places just by looking around. I am glad to hear from business owners, i think it is great when owners go out of their way to make a connection.

i know an "American Breakfast" can be open to some interpretation, my version is more healthy. A real Southern American breakfast would be harder to find in Thailand.

I only weigh 10 pounds more than I did in high school and I work to stay that way. Some avocado, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, eggs, anything green, unfortunately no potatoes, pancakes, french toast or country fried steak any more. smile.png Gravy is out. No white bread, no sugar of any type, a lot of coffee is fine. I will probably design a hybrid Thai-American breakfast with some sort of Thai seafood and or vegetables added.

is there a mega Sunday brunch anywhere? like at the Four Seasons or some other 5 star hotel?

Edited by NCC1701A

i know an "American Breakfast" can be open to some interpretation, my version is more healthy. A real Southern American breakfast would be harder to find in Thailand.

I only weigh 10 pounds more than I did in high school and I work to stay that way. Some avocado, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, eggs, anything green, unfortunately no potatoes, pancakes, french toast or country fried steak any more. smile.png Gravy is out. No white bread, no sugar of any type, a lot of coffee is fine. I will probably design a hybrid Thai-American breakfast with some sort of Thai seafood and or vegetables added.

Ah. Blue Diamond in that case.

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2011/07/08/chiang-mais-best-place-for-breakfast/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d1218462-Reviews-Blue_Diamond_Breakfast_Club-Chiang_Mai.html

• Like 1

wow this thread is great so far. thanks for all the inexpensive breakfast suggestions. It would take someone months to find all these places just by looking around. I am glad to hear from business owners, i think it is great when owners go out of their way to make a connection.

is there a mega Sunday brunch anywhere? like at the Four Seasons or some other 5 star hotel?

The Shangri La on Chan Klan road is worth a try, others like the Meridian downtown - Four Seasons is out Mai Rim way, beautiful location but pricey, breakfast for two cost about THB 1,200, considering I only had eggs benedict that's a bit much (Mrs CM had French Toast), especially when the ham they use is processed ham, yuk. But for a splurge, give it a try.

Edited by chiang mai

When did you change your mind from cheap to expensive. No buffet is going to be cheap.

Also I may be wrong but I can not imagine an American Breakfast with out bacon or ham or sausages.

"I am thinking like a omelet of some sort, sliced tomatoes, toast, coffee."

sounds to me like you are looking for a dieter's special.

The Shangri La on Chan Klan road is worth a try, others like the Meridian downtown - Four Seasons is out Mai Rim way, beautiful location but pricey, breakfast for two cost about THB 1,200, considering I only had eggs benedict that's a bit much (Mrs CM had French Toast), especially when the ham they use is processed ham, yuk. But for a splurge, give it a try.

Wow so over priced ? I can get 12 American breakfasts at sausage king with real American bacon and a jimmy deen patty for 1,200 baht and still get change. 99 baht at sausage king,for me it's the best value breakfast by far up to now in chiang mai

• Like 1

When did you change your mind from cheap to expensive. No buffet is going to be cheap.

Also I may be wrong but I can not imagine an American Breakfast with out bacon or ham or sausages.

"I am thinking like a omelet of some sort, sliced tomatoes, toast, coffee."

sounds to me like you are looking for a dieter's special.

well i got four pages of inexpensive so i thought while we were on the subject i would ask about expensive.

i am from Los Angeles and everything is SUPER expensive. My normal funky LA breakfast place with coffee tax and tip would be 531baht just for me. Yes you can find it for less but the quality and quantity of what you are eating drops. Four Season in LA, breakfast would be $1200 baht. I was just in Scottsdale AZ one month ago and a club sandwich (room service) was 1687 baht. So expensive in Thailand seams cheap to me. Of course I am on a super tight budget now which is why I need to find good and inexpensive place. Yes I am on a diet.

YEAH, Yeah, I know, self praise stinks, but whats a guy to do, when all his former friends forget him ???? whistling.gifwink.png

[besides this is not praise, its promoting]

We have been an ' American Style Restaurant' for over 17 years now and like to think we have real American style prepared food. In other words , breakfast that is food to 'EAT' not take photos of for Better Homes and Garden type mags.

This Breakfast, the Chicken Fried Superman Breakfast is currently only 195 Baht. Other full American Breakfasts at almost half that price.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

If you are new to the area, stop by for a chit/chat. Maybe we can help wear off some of the new-ness. In any event welcome to Chiang Mai.

P S Identify yourself with your Thai Visa nic and also receive a 10% discount.

The Pun Pun Guesthouse and Restaurant

G

Sorry to be critical but...that's looks like a respectable attempt but still lacking IMHO. Onions and green peppers in home fries is not what I grew up with...and I like my home fries a little bit undercooked. The chicken fried steak (not chicken) is best when it's a large, single piece and smothered in a heavier gravy, plus the fried batter crust looks a little too much for my personal taste. And serving a toasted baguette just doesn't cut it for me...either only quality toasted white or wheat bread will do (except for those who prefer some fluffy buttermilk pancakes). Oh, and the coffee must be free-flowing...no one cup limit.

I don't miss many foods from the States but a quality American breakfast and a 20-24 oz. one-inch thick American (or Costa Rican or Argentine would suffice) beef T-bone steak (that Aussie and Kiwi stuff just doesn't cut the grade) are two things I sorely miss after being here for 2 years. Still looking for both....

...from Born in Texas and Bred in Oklahoma.

Obviously, there are all kinds of American breakfast. For me, steak for breakfast is not my idea

of a healthy start for the day... sick.gif

Scrambled eggs, coarse whole grain toast and hash browns is what I call American breakfast.

Best breakfast of this kind I've found in Chiang Mai is at Blue Diamond Restaurant -- 120 baht.

They also have a varied breakfast menu including ham, bacon or sausage, but I don't eat that.

Blue Diamond is located in the old city just off Moon-Muang Soi 9. It's one of the most popular

restaurants in that area, anyone there can give directions.

YEAH, Yeah, I know, self praise stinks, but whats a guy to do, when all his former friends forget him ???? 19x18xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKn width=19 alt=whistling.gif> wink.png

[besides this is not praise, its promoting]

We have been an ' American Style Restaurant' for over 17 years now and like to think we have real American style prepared food. In other words , breakfast that is food to 'EAT' not take photos of for Better Homes and Garden type mags.

This Breakfast, the Chicken Fried Superman Breakfast is currently only 195 Baht. Other full American Breakfasts at almost half that price.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

If you are new to the area, stop by for a chit/chat. Maybe we can help wear off some of the new-ness. In any event welcome to Chiang Mai.

P S Identify yourself with your Thai Visa nic and also receive a 10% discount.

The Pun Pun Guesthouse and Restaurant

G

You sure know how to hurt a guy...thumbsup.gifclap2.gifw00t.gif

Hi,

Just a quick one while on the subject of 'American Breakfast'--some of you will have been familiar with 'California Wraps', a sort of Thai Tex-Mex place at Kad Farang, where you could get several versions of an American breakfast--Home Fries, Eggs, Huge Omelette, Bacon, Sausage, Pancakes, French Toast, etc....--and all at pretty good prices, plus Mexican style Burritos, Enchilladas, Tacos, etc...--well, due to the forthcoming , so-called, Plaza being built at Kad farang, this little oasis has been forced to move out of Kad farang and has chosen to relocate to Macro, Hang Dong Road, second floor [ I wish them all the best].

So, as an alternative in that location, is the restaurant Rosewood--they have leapt into the void and are now open from 07.00 a.m. and are offering an American style breakfast--looks reasonable on the photo-menu--well, long story, but I tried this on opening day, today 01 August , and, my honest opinion is---sorry, just about the same as any other Thai-Style American breakfast, at 159 Baht, passable food, but not in any way an American Breakfast.[This could be teething troubles, I suppose, but somehow I am not convinced??]

'California Wraps', a sort of Thai Tex-Mex place at Kad Farang, where you could get several versions of an American breakfast--Home Fries, Eggs, Huge Omelette, Bacon, Sausage, Pancakes, French Toast, etc....--and all at pretty good prices, plus Mexican style Burritos, Enchilladas, Tacos, etc...--well, due to the forthcoming , so-called, Plaza being built at Kad farang, this little oasis has been forced to move out of Kad farang and has chosen to relocate to Macro, Hang Dong Road, second floor [ I wish them all the best].

The Makro near the intersection with the Middle Ring? It may have (or have had) some place selling drinks and snacks up there, but it doesn't sound like a place that gets good traffic.. I shop at Makro a lot, but having food there doesn't really appeal. Wish they moved anywhere else. Chill Park maybe.

Just had breakfast at Rimping in the new Promanade mall, excellent value for 130 baht.

2 fried eggs, bacon, ham, a sausage, bread, jam, beans, tomato, butter and orange juice and very very good coffee

( maybe the best coffee in town).

If you go with a group and spent over 400 baht you can use the 100 baht discount coupon till august 15!

Not sure it was an American breakfast however.

'California Wraps', a sort of Thai Tex-Mex place at Kad Farang, where you could get several versions of an American breakfast--Home Fries, Eggs, Huge Omelette, Bacon, Sausage, Pancakes, French Toast, etc....--and all at pretty good prices, plus Mexican style Burritos, Enchilladas, Tacos, etc...--well, due to the forthcoming , so-called, Plaza being built at Kad farang, this little oasis has been forced to move out of Kad farang and has chosen to relocate to Macro, Hang Dong Road, second floor [ I wish them all the best].

The Makro near the intersection with the Middle Ring?    It may have (or have had) some place selling drinks and snacks up there, but it doesn't sound like a place that gets good traffic..    I shop at Makro a lot, but having food there doesn't really appeal.  Wish they moved anywhere else.  Chill Park maybe.

Winnie-I totally agree. Yes, it's the Macro on Hang Dong road, and yes also, it has had various people set up restaurants on the upper floor, all who have failed to generate traffic-I, too, wish that the owner had gone almost anywhere else. Even a small shop house somewhere near to the original location would have been better.

The problem was that the money grabbing Moo BAHN owners wanted to raise the rent on the original place in the order of about 500%- even the brilliant Thai restaurant Muang Pon Laos has decided to move out of Kad Farang, the owners wanted them to pay 50K baht per month.

The stupid Thai/Chinese Moo BAHN owners always do this- raise the vendors rent until they eventually move out. We've lost many good businesses from this area due to her greed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

We used to eat on the second floor at Makro,mostly because it was case of "use it or lose it" and it was convenient.The food was ok and the operator was a very pleasant guy but it was pretty obvious that (a) very few people knew he was even there and (B) very few customers,overall, venture upstairs.Of course a sign downstairs by the escalator would have helped and I suggested that to him and he told us that he was not allowed. Just another sad story of someone having a go and being shafted.TIT.

Hi,

Just a quick one while on the subject of 'American Breakfast'--some of you will have been familiar with 'California Wraps', a sort of Thai Tex-Mex place at Kad Farang, where you could get several versions of an American breakfast--Home Fries, Eggs, Huge Omelette, Bacon, Sausage, Pancakes, French Toast, etc....--and all at pretty good prices, plus Mexican style Burritos, Enchilladas, Tacos, etc...--well, due to the forthcoming , so-called, Plaza being built at Kad farang, this little oasis has been forced to move out of Kad farang and has chosen to relocate to Macro, Hang Dong Road, second floor [ I wish them all the best].

So, as an alternative in that location, is the restaurant Rosewood--they have leapt into the void and are now open from 07.00 a.m. and are offering an American style breakfast--looks reasonable on the photo-menu--well, long story, but I tried this on opening day, today 01 August , and, my honest opinion is---sorry, just about the same as any other Thai-Style American breakfast, at 159 Baht, passable food, but not in any way an American Breakfast.[This could be teething troubles, I suppose, but somehow I am not convinced??]

Can't be the same place owned by the lady who lived in and had a business in California? I'm pretty sure she closed up years ago because of some family problems. Did she come back or sell the business/name? When she owned it the food was very good. Can't remember her name now.

Hi,

So, as an alternative in that location, is the restaurant Rosewood--they have leapt into the void and are now open from  07.00 a.m. and are offering an American style breakfast--looks reasonable on the photo-menu--well, long story, but I tried this on opening day, today 01 August , and, my honest opinion is---sorry, just about the same as any other Thai-Style American breakfast, at 159 Baht, passable food, but not in any way an American Breakfast.[This could be teething troubles, I suppose, but somehow I am not convinced??]

Can't be the same place owned by the lady who lived in and had a business in California? I'm pretty sure she closed up years ago because of some family problems. Did she come back or sell the business/name? When she owned it the food was very good. Can't remember her name now.

No idea, this place has been open, in Kad Farang for about 5 years, the owner is Thai but lived in USA for 25 years plus.

As I say, the truly sad part of ask this upheaval is the loss to the area of the Thai Restaurant 'Muang Pon Laos'- a real gem, gone as of now due to other people's greed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app