New Car Test Drive

jagi00

You're talking about cars that sell in quantities per year you can count on two hands. They may as well be Veyrons.

*If* you've actually seen either in a showroom, it's highly unlikely it's dealer stock - most likely to be already owned, but waiting for an auspicious day to take delivery.

In short, it's highly unlikely you'll ever get a test drive of these particular models.

I was able to test drive both before settling on the Z4....although both were used cars, not brand new. Brand new and maybe the Dealer does not want any miles on the clock or scared of damage.

Call in advance to check you can test drive and make sure it is low traffic time.

...these cars sell in massive quantities and are very common. Not quite Veyrons.

I was able to test drive both before settling on the Z4....although both were used cars, not brand new. Brand new and maybe the Dealer does not want any miles on the clock or scared of damage.

Call in advance to check you can test drive and make sure it is low traffic time.

...these cars sell in massive quantities and are very common. Not quite Veyrons.

I guess the word 'Massive" is quite relative... compared to Veyron sales in TH (0), they are indeed big sellers at 0-3 units/month (official imports) tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

I guess the word 'Massive" is quite relative... compared to Veyron sales in TH (0), they are indeed big sellers at 0-3 units/month tongue.png

You think that low? Maybe, I never really thought about it.

But when I was looking there sure are a lot of new and second have models of those cars around...plus whats on the road.

I would think maybe 20-30 per month, but thats a pure guess based on the numbers I see around. Thats only 240-360 per year, which is not much based on how often you see the cars.

I guess the word 'Massive" is quite relative... compared to Veyron sales in TH (0), they are indeed big sellers at 0-3 units/month tongue.png

You think that low? Maybe, I never really thought about it.

But when I was looking there sure are a lot of new and second have models of those cars around...plus whats on the road.

I would think maybe 20-30 per month, but thats a pure guess based on the numbers I see around. Thats only 240-360 per year, which is not much based on how often you see the cars.

I don't suppose anything when it comes to new car sales numbers - that's a part of my job, hehe :)

That said, the gray market (we we don't even try to get stats on because no-one tells the truth) has in the past added many of these type of cars on the roads, but not so much nowadays.

I would think gray market far outships the official shipments, so your number sounds correct for official, but there is far more than 36 units per year being sold officially.

If you meant to say: "but there is far more than 36 units per year being sold"

Yep.

It's hard to get a test drive for ANY type or class of car in LOS, more so these premium models. Then again, with most of the premium cars being sold in city dealerships, what real value in nosing into the Ratchada gridlock, crawling bumper-to-bumper for 3 km before a u-turn back to the showroom? Test crawl maybe?

I was lucky when Ford finally started selling the new Ranger as they did have a quite visible test drive offer, including advertising and you could even book one on their web site. To be honest, I haven't seen any other car's clearly marked as 'Demonstrator' for the other brands before or since.

Is it customary for Merc and Beemer dealerships in the west to have a dedicated test-drive model? Seems like it would not be a loss leader with that sort of sticker price. The punters that come in have a decent wedge, pay cash and expect something with 0 miles on the clock. Offering premium car test drives isn't likely to sway the potential top-of-the-line Camry-on-finance buyer to go get an overdraft now is it? Many (many) years ago, I took a brand new Celica for a test drive up and down the Pan Island in Singapore but the salesman already had an idea I was just buggering about and I think he just wanted to get out of the office for a bit!

Just a side note: what's with all these premium car questions in the Motoring Forum? Looks like every man and his dog is getting a Merc, Beemer or Evoque these days. Is this to bolster the Thai-Chinese, hi-so, Master degree's businesswoman wife image or is there some serious coin being made here with the associated need to impress?

I was choosing between a Diesel and Petrol Bimmer... driving specs were similar, the car spec was exactly the same. I think I could have booked a test drive if I wanted one, but realistically, sitting in a car was enough, I'm not sure a test drive would have helped me spot the things I don't like about the car 2500 km later.

Just a side note: why what appears to be certain degree of animosity towards those who have asked questions about Merc, Beemer or Evoque and what does it have to do with a guys Wife ?

I was choosing between a Diesel and Petrol Bimmer... driving specs were similar, the car spec was exactly the same. I think I could have booked a test drive if I wanted one, but realistically, sitting in a car was enough, I'm not sure a test drive would have helped me spot the things I don't like about the car 2500 km later.

Just a side note: why what appears to be certain degree of animosity towards those who have asked questions about Merc, Beemer or Evoque and what does it have to do with a guys Wife ?

Good point on test drives; pretty irrelevant and as a US car salesman once told me, once a customer has sat in the car in the showroom, it's a pretty bad salesman that doesn't convert that into a sale. Mind you, I only ever bought two vehicles in the US, test drove both of them too but I pretty much knew that's what I wanted from the get go. The hard part was NOT succumbing to the pressure to get the top model with add-ons that I didn't really need. Hardly going to happen here in Thailand though. It appears even the salesmen of the luxury marques here aren't blessed with high-end inventory either and have the same apathetic approach to moving cars off the lot as the regular dealerships. Just my experience from three vehicle purchases in LOS.

My animosity is reserved for <deleted> drivers (of any ilk) in blinged-out, dark-tinted Fortuners... you know who you are! I bet you don't let your wives drive like that.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Just a side note: what's with all these premium car questions in the Motoring Forum? Looks like every man and his dog is getting a Merc, Beemer or Evoque these days. Is this to bolster the Thai-Chinese, hi-so, Master degree's businesswoman wife image or is there some serious coin being made here with the associated need to impress?

Sales in the >3M Baht range have indeed been increasing quite (relatively) rapidly over the past few years, and while most players are predicting rather flat gains this year compared to last, Benz and BMW are amongst a very small group of manufacturers predicting quite decent gains in TH this year.

When the baseline for a new car is 400-500K Baht, you only sell more 3M+ Baht cars if general wealth is on the climb...

In any case, it's all relative - one man's "serious coin" is another's "chump change", and what's the point of working your butt off to make good money of you don't enjoy it somehow?

If your angle is "It has 4 wheels and 4 doors so how can it be that much different?", you either need to try it, or just accept that you won't understand it. It's just like good wine, and good HiFi - some can appreciate the differences, some can't.

On your comment about wives, I'm yet to see a wife that drives something better than her husband wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Sales in the >3M Baht range have indeed been increasing quite (relatively) rapidly over the past few years, and while most players are predicting rather flat gains this year compared to last, Benz and BMW are amongst a very small group of manufacturers predicting quite decent gains in TH this year.

When the baseline for a new car is 400-500K Baht, you only sell more 3M+ Baht cars if general wealth is on the climb...

In any case, it's all relative - one man's "serious coin" is another's "chump change", and what's the point of working your butt off to make good money of you don't enjoy it somehow?

If your angle is "It has 4 wheels and 4 doors so how can it be that much different?", you either need to try it, or just accept that you won't understand it. It's just like good wine, and good HiFi - some can appreciate the differences, some can't.

On your comment about wives, I'm yet to see a wife that drives something better than her husband wink.png

Mine does,shes got a new Accord.Bloody Big Tank.cheesy.gif

I have tried it; used to have a Merc in the US but just sold the 10 month old Evoque in the UK. There is a vast difference in ride, handling, comfort which is worth it in countries where the extra premium paid is proportionate and there are decent roads and highways to enjoy it all.

But the disproportionate mark up in Thailand where traffic, roads and highways generally prevent you from enjoying your 'extras' to the maximum isn't really worth it IMHO. In the west you can get ALL the benefits of the marque whereas in Thailand you just have the (locally manufactured and) hugely overpriced name.

I have tried it; used to have a Merc in the US but just sold the 10 month old Evoque in the UK. There is a vast difference in ride, handling, comfort which is worth it in countries where the extra premium paid is proportionate and there are decent roads and highways to enjoy it all.

But the disproportionate mark up in Thailand where traffic, roads and highways generally prevent you from enjoying your 'extras' to the maximum isn't really worth it IMHO. In the west you can get ALL the benefits of the marque whereas in Thailand you just have the (locally manufactured and) hugely overpriced name.

Then don't buy one, but why rain on someone else's parade?

• Like 1

Good point. Each to their own; it is their money after all. If you have the surplus, why not indeed?

I am quite happy to enjoy the rain-induced traffic gridlock on Sukhumvit at 8pm just as much as the guy in the red-plated Merc stuck next to me, especially when I am comfortably doing it around 3 or 4 million baht cheaper than he is.

• Like 1

Good point. Each to their own; it is their money after all. If you have the surplus, why not indeed?

I am quite happy to enjoy the rain-induced traffic gridlock on Sukhumvit at 8pm just as much as the guy in the red-plated Merc stuck next to me, especially when I am comfortably doing it around 3 or 4 million baht cheaper than he is.

Fly Economy Class... get to your destination for half the price or less than the Business or First Class passengers on the same flight...

I think some are simply missing the point.

An S Class Merc is not the same as a Taxi - we may as well use horse and cart if it were - It's not always simply about cost.

If someone can afford the extra luxury of a luxury car, even with the mark up in Thailand, why criticise them. These very same people can and have made some decent decisions in the past to afford them some benefits and luxury. Good on them and good luck to them.

• Like 1

^@ Richard, I completely agree with your point for those of us who have earned it:

If someone can afford the extra luxury of a luxury car, even with the mark up in Thailand, why criticise them. These very same people can and have made some decent decisions in the past to afford them some benefits and luxury

BUT..., I personally know a few Thais (and a Farang or two) who drive 6M+ cars, and the only decent decision they ever made was to be born to the right parents. wink.png

^@ Richard, I completely agree with your point for those of us who have earned it:

If someone can afford the extra luxury of a luxury car, even with the mark up in Thailand, why criticise them. These very same people can and have made some decent decisions in the past to afford them some benefits and luxury

BUT..., I personally know a few Thais (and a Farang or two) who drive 6M+ cars, and the only decent decision they ever made was to be born to the right parents. wink.png

Agreed... But owning a decent car (bought for them or not) doesn't automatically make a person dislikable twit... chances are the dislikable twits are the same with or without the decent car.. Equally so, someone in a decent car (bought for them or not) is not necessarily a dislikable twit... There are self centred idiotic morns driving around in any and every type of vehicle from any and every walk of life...

.... There are self centred idiotic morns driving around in any and every type of vehicle from any and every walk of life...

Hoi! I resemble that remark!

The brand new Governor of the Bank of England rides the tube to work every day.

Can't see the Governor of the Bank of Thailand buggering about with the MRT myself.

.... There are self centred idiotic morns driving around in any and every type of vehicle from any and every walk of life...

Hoi! I resemble that remark!

The brand new Governor of the Bank of England rides the tube to work every day.

Can't see the Governor of the Bank of Thailand buggering about with the MRT myself.

Minister of Transport Hails Motorcycle Taxi To Work

But we all know that was nothing more than a publicity trick.

“A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

Quote: Gustavo Petro, Mayor of Bogotá.

• 1 month later...
I'm considering buying either a Mercedes SLK or BMW Z4 but finding it impossible to get a test drive. Does anyone know of any dealers who could oblige or do I have to head overseas to try them out?

My neighbour recently bought himself a beautiful new Z4. Judging by the big smile on his face when he's at the wheel, I'd say he's very happy with it.

I doubt he'd let anyone test drive his baby, but I could ask him any pertinent questions you may have on your behalf.