How Does Evryone Get By!

bbigman21

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live out in the boonies and have no hope of getting a telephone land line. GPRS is nearly useless and other than an Ipstar satellite dish I have no other options that I am aware of. If you are talking about WiFi you better check it out a little further before planning on using that option.

I have just moved to the boonies - Sisaket province - last week. We (my wife) phoned the phone co. one afternoon and they were at our house next morning before 10 am. Wires were put in that week and within a few days (a few hiccups with the connection) we were on internet within a week.

I have moved here to do a bit of farming etc. and to manage my portfolio of investments so internet con. is vital to me. Nice to be back on line.

It seems to me that most of the jobs / roles so far given above are above the usual average in terms of pay and status.

Are there alot of people keeping quiet, or is this to be expected when surveying those expats who have made it when living abroad?

As for me, just a simple elctronics engineer, taught English for a couple of years in BKK, since retunred to the UK and demoted to a lowly Technical Support role and wondering how I'm going to build our 3 bed house and start our language school and clothes shop in Nakohn Sawan as I hope to do and as the mrs believes we will.

but i just dont know what job i can do over there apart from owning my own business, but if that goes sour i dont wanna be no english teacher. I would like to be a policeman but i dont like studying.

I don't think you have to worry about being an English teacher.

Well i dont wanna be one anyway.

I rather be a cop, then i can get tips off everyone i fine.

I will lay the law down so i can take as many tips i can get.

Plus im sure you dont have to study hard to be a cop.

Or maybe a tour guide for the farangs??

Or maybe someone in here will give me a Job.

Good luck I tried that no luck :o

Trying not to sound sarcastic.

This is pure curiosity of why would you think any expat would offer a job without experience, education or both? You don't really think people going to offer you a job based on being english speaking farang do you?.

I don't really live in Thailand...just hang out there between jobs (like a lot of folks on this forum) in our magnificent shophouse on a back street in a small town in southern Suphanburi. Because of divorce everything was taken from me and I had to start again at 49 y.o. Looking forward to working until I drop or until I can't get a work permit in whatever country because of age (just about to turn 56).

The wife suggested getting a couple of hand carts and peddling kwieteow with family assistance when there is no more income...

(those wishing to contribute to the 'tutsi fund for survival and truth' please PM...)

I'm a Wishgranting Coordinator, I Brighten the lives of seriously ill and hospitalised children.

I make my money other ways.

Cheers Noodles.

Wish granting coordinator for seriously ill children? I give all my respect to you. How can a person get involved with such organization?

At first my wife wanted to get a green card here in the us. Then she thought she could go home and possibly renew at the embassy. That way we would not have to come back to the us every year. A green card holder cannot leave the us for more than twelve months without re applying for a k1 visa.

:D Solution ..

You know there are exceptions to every rule.

Join the Army, Navy, or Air Force and your wife can be with you outside of the US for up to 7 years.

:o

It seems to me that most of the jobs / roles so far given above are above the usual average in terms of pay and status.
Are there alot of people keeping quiet, or is this to be expected when surveying those expats who have made it when living abroad?

Don't take all that is written as being ' The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.'

In BangkokChat the Male chatters are mostly Airline Pilots, Business moguls or Millionaire Playboys, the Female chatters are all sexy beautiful young virgins looking for that 'speshun Farang.'

Internet Forums attract a similar crowd. :o

Edited by Maigo6

I work at a school and have done it for years and years. I make very little for a farang I guess about 30K a month. Some months if I feel like getting off my arse I make up to 50K. If I worked hard I could make 60 k every month. I'm just to lazy to work mights and weekends. Right now I only work teach about 15 classroom hours per week. My life is pretty easy and any diligent person could do a lot better than I am. I think about my future all the time but I don't worry about it that much maybe I should. The word 'retirement' doesn't really exist for me.

Lots of foreigners teach here, but few stay forever and most that do take on extra teaching to supplement their incomes especially if they are working in government schools.

I work at a school and have done it for years and years. I make very little for a farang I guess about 30K a month. Some months if I feel like getting off my arse I make up to 50K. If I worked hard I could make 60 k every month. I'm just to lazy to work mights and weekends. Right now I only work teach about 15 classroom hours per week. My life is pretty easy and any diligent person could do a lot better than I am. I think about my future all the time but I don't worry about it that much maybe I should. The word 'retirement' doesn't really exist for me.

Well, I certainly have to admire your honesty, but... :o

I am a multi-millionaire (dollars) with huge investments in stocks, bonds and real estate. I retired at 40 and live in Thailand for now; looking at Bali as possible relocation move.

As much as you complaint about money, I highly doubt if that's the truth.

As a headhunter in Singapore I'd been thinking a lot about moving to Thailand where I can probably do the same job for around two thirds of the money but still see a sharp rise in the standard of living. Getting closer to 30 starting to do a U turn and considering moving to Japan and doing the same job and earning twice the money. Saving and building wealth that will bring financial independence in my 40's is obtainable but there's always this voice in the bag of my head that says 'play the wild card and head to LOS!'. I do like Japan though the thought of cold winters and commuting on packed trains every day is hardly inspirational.

Edited by Ted

As a headhunter in Singapore I'd been thinking a lot about moving to Thailand where I can probably do the same job for around two thirds of the money but still see a sharp rise in the standard of living. Getting closer to 30 starting to do a U turn and considering moving to Japan and doing the same job and earning twice the money. Saving and building wealth that will bring financial independence in my 40's is obtainable but there's always this voice in the bag of my head that says 'play the wild card and head to LOS!'. I do like Japan though the thought of cold winters and commuting on packed trains every day is hardly inspirational.

I dont see what the point would be to do that. I'd never ever move to Thailand with a non thai wife. Thailand aint that great; take ladies out of the equation and it's downright lousy

I dont see what the point would be to do that. I'd never ever move to Thailand with a non thai wife. Thailand aint that great; take ladies out of the equation and it's downright lousy

Was it not a "Time" magazine article back in 99 that quoted an un-named western Diplomat that caused and uproar when he said Thailands "Only competative advantage is sex and golf"?

I am currently pondering another expat posting to Singapore. It could probably have been based in Bangkok at a push but Singapore is better for the company.

What about better for me?

After thinking about this I pretty much know it will be beter for me to work in Singapore rather than BKK and this comes down to a few factors.

My own self discipline - not saying it would happen again but last time I worked in BKK I went about it the wrong way and acted like it was one long holiday.

Money will be better in Singapore and less tax!

The infrastructure for work is better set up in everything from Employment Permits to language

I will probably move my Thai lady down there

I can have a couple of weekends in Thailand a month but separate business from pleasure more easily (this is a personal thing)

Asking someone living here how he makes his living is one of the impolite questions. And don't ever expect to get the full truth as an answer. Almost every Thai, and more than a few foreigners have a dead honest job for face, and take advantage of the endless opportunities being a bit creative in making the additional buck. All these means of generating income should afford an utmost minimum of effort in order to have a great lifestyle. This is a time honored and well preserved tradition of Siamese life. :o

i am the canadian ambassador to thailand

Good on you, Mapley, but if I were you I would learn to capitalize country names. Its more diplomatic that way. Wouldn't want to start an international incident.

Edited by Thaiquila

I didn't know that "wish they were America" errr ummm I mean Canada had Ambassadors. They are kind of like a wart on America :o

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!!

I didn't know that "wish they were America" errr ummm I mean Canada had Ambassadors. They are kind of like a wart on America :o

Hmmm. Well then the "wart" is bigger than the host. So who is the wart?

Don't be dissing the Canadians, man ...

Was just joking... Having the Canadians and Mexicans as our border countries is alright. Can't count on either of them for much, but they're alright for neighbors. Didn't mean to offend anyone though.

Was just joking... Having the Canadians and Mexicans as our border countries is alright. Can't count on either of them for much, but they're alright for neighbors. Didn't mean to offend anyone though.

Hmmm.

Have you considered whether they can count on us for much?

I like to think of Canada as the Super Ego

USA as the Ego, and

Mexico as the Id

Now I am SURE that offends somebody!