Another question on retirement dependent visa

My wife and I moved to Thailand from China two weeks ago. I am Canadian (62) and she is American (under 50). We have been married for seven years and I satisfy the financial requirements for a retirement visa. To make a long story short....this is where we stand now. I was successful in obtaining my Non-Immigrant Visa as the first step towards getting a Retirement Visa down the road in another 3 months. She has been told by the Chiangmai Immigration Office that she cannot obtain a Non-Immigrant Visa as my dependent unless she applies from outside the country. No problem. We were going to arrange a quick trip to the Thai Immigration office in Singapore to do this. We have a letter from the Canadian Consul here in Chiangmai confirming the marriage and our financial status. However, I have since read on this forum that she cannot piggyback on my Non-Immigrant Visa but must wait until I have the Retirement Visa before she can apply. Which is correct? We don't want to spend the money shipping her off to Singapore for a few days if it is going to be unsuccessful!

I suspect Vientiane would be a better choice (Singapore is not known as especially friendly for visa issue to foreigners/non residents). Consulate may issue or at worst issue a tourist visa which with extension could serve until you have your extension of stay in your passport. If she already has a tourist visa I would wait until you extend to be sure. Normally it is that extension of stay in your passport/marriage proof that allows issue of non immigrant visa (especially as she is under age 50).

Thanks for your prompt reply. She only has the entry stamp...not a real tourist visa so that would be fine if it ended up being the only thing issued. I can't see why issuing that would be a problem anywhere. However, after living in China the last six years, I know that logic cannot always be depended on. At least that would give her a way to stay here until my retirement visa is processed and then apply as a dependent.