Whom of you lived in Thailand but not anymore, what's your vision now ?

rubberduck

Are you one of the TV members who lived in Thailand for several years and went back home or elsewere, and for what reason ?

How long have you lived in Thailand, which changes have you noticed during this period ?

Has your personal vision changed after you left ?

What is your overall vision on the current situation in Thailand from the outside like ? How would you describe the developments you notice in the line of time ?

It's interesting.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lived and prospered in thailand for 12 yrs, left one year ago for childrens education and welfare. still have most of my financial ties in los yet i do not know when i will return, TBH as much as i enjoyed my life there i dont miss the madness. the west is easy, I dont have to think about anything, it just clicks along and i like it. my biggest issue is i am getting big, i dont seem to have the free time i had in thailand because i dont have my maid to cook, clean and mind the children. i almost never go to bars and never drink and drive. i spend 1,000 percent more time playing with my children or watching them participate in all types of organzied sports. repairmen and answers are a simple phone call away my wife is thai and can own whatever she like here. Both countries have plus and minus and I am looking forward to some plece different such as a beach in south america.

• Like 2

I have been visiting Thailand regularly for the past 10 years.. ..

<blah blah blah>

It won't happen overnight but the tourists will eventually learn to appreciate the risks exposed to and once that happens numbers will decline.

except for you of course, you will still come.

• Like 2

My vision has improved a great deal with this new pair of specs. But I think that the inadequacy of the previous pair, that I bought in Thailand, was due to a deterioration in my eyes, rather than any incompetence on the part of the optician.

I went to a local optician in KL, and his eye test was very thorough professional, while the eye test in Bangkok a few years back was competent, but no more.

SC

• Like 1

My vision has improved a great deal with this new pair of specs. But I think that the inadequacy of the previous pair, that I bought in Thailand, was due to a deterioration in my eyes, rather than any incompetence on the part of the optician.

I went to a local optician in KL, and his eye test was very thorough professional, while the eye test in Bangkok a few years back was competent, but no more.

SC

biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Lived for 7 years there. Left 2011. Come to thailand since dec 1994. Reason for leaving; soc and for kids future education in home country.

Changes over the years have been the same as in western countries. Modernization, more traffic, more expensive, more greedy, no improvement in services. IMO its all gone to fast in LOS the last 15 years for the average thai. Thais and Thailand are closed, the present openness in the world through internet and social media is something thais have problems to deal with.

My personal vision has changed but by joining TV changed again. More balanced i like to think. In the personal problematic situation i am in, most would become a thaibasher. Would like to be 1 as well, but that is too easy. So am not. It all depends on the circles 1 chose to join, knowing or unknowingly. I made a bad choice. So cant generalize. It was me who made the mistake, with huge consequences though. IMO nothing to much will change in LOS. It will be for many generations before 1 will see an improvement regarding the negative aspects of thai society; saving face, lack of empathy, selfishness, educationlevels etc.

I have been visiting Thailand regularly for the past 10 years.. Own a house with my partner in Bangkok .. I agree in general with the view above. A Thai graduating with a bachelor's degree from a local university is not able to speak English... The Thai PM and senior members in government are not able to converse or conduct an interview in English...

Thais are extremely insular and isolated in their thinking. Most of them are driven by money and will do virtually anything to extort it from unsuspecting tourists and foreigners. Once you have broken through the veneer of the smile they are actually unscrupulous and a devious culture. Saving face in my opinion is often a simple reflection of the lack of emotional intelligence most Thais suffer from.

As a regular driver in Bangkok and frequently long distance to Phuket and Krabi etc.. I find their behavior on the road appalling.. white lines separating lanes have no meaning, emergency lanes are used by normal traffic.. weaving through the traffic on the highway at high speed creating risk for the lives of all the motorists that are passed is normal practice. Slow moving heavy trucks and busses occupy the right hand lane and refuse to let traffic through. It is not out of the ordinary to witness a number of incidents that will result in the suspension of a driver's license in Europe, UK, Canada or US...The risk of driving in Thailand is supported by the recent bus accidents in which dozens of tourists were killed. Thais are selfish and poorly disciplined and in generally lack ethics.

Thailand is spoiled by the influx of millions of tourists whom quite often receive shoddy service and end up paying for poor quality. Given the increase in attacks on tourists in Patong and elsewhere in Phuket, I can only urge visitors to not drop their guard and be aware of the underlying risks. It won't happen overnight but the tourists will eventually learn to appreciate the risks exposed to and once that happens numbers will decline.

What you write in reference to the touristtrade is not specific to Thailand/Phuket alone but is a worldwide phenomenen. In 2nd and 3rd world countries more apparant though than in the western countries.

West is a guiltbased culture while LOS is a shamebased 1. The saving facepart not only comes from lack of emotional intelligence but as well of a lack of selfreflection. For the latter 1 needs to be able, fck difficult for anybody, to think and accept 1's fallibleness. The insular way this society has formed itself makes it a longlasting struggle. Can only be achieved by righteouss and charismatic leaders. Top down. Our societies are more bottom up so ......... Who are we though to enforce change on the Thais ?

Edited by benalibina
  • Like 1

Luckily I will never have kids and a reason to leave...

Luck is defined differently for a lot of people. I, however, would never consider being sexually impotent as something "lucky".

I have trouble understanding why never having or perhaps wanting children = sexually impotent.

True, selfish also comes to mind.

Sorry for off topic, carry on..

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Better an admission to be not cut out for child rearing,even if it's a selfish motive,than struggling to bring up unwanted children! who would want Parents who didn't want them?

• Like 2

I am planning to return home after 18 years for something similar to those issues as above.

However, I am getting completely disillusioned with where the country is going. Things are not adding up financially for the country, and the violence appears to have increased massively in the last few years. The corruption and hoops I have to jump through to run a business here have also got me down in recent times and it just doesn't represent the opportunity it did in my eyes even a few years ago.

However, I have been badly let down by some very long standing friends and this has probably hurt more than anything. I finally feel like just any other farang to be used and that is in the end enough.

The ridiculously tough immigration and fixed paternalistic business structure has finally driven me nuts. It seems they would rather prevent foreigners getting ahead, than allow us to contribute to building the country.

I used to think I clearly understood how Thailand worked. Increasingly, I feel I understand less and less.

TaH, can I ask for some clarification, pls - were the long-standing 'friends' who let you down Thai or Farang, and are we talking Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand ?

Early retired to Thailand in 2003. Returned to the USA September 2011 to help care for an elderly parent. Moved back to Thailand August 2012.

Changes I noticed in Thailand:

1 The Thais are wealthier -or perhaps more credit fueled prosperity- noticing many new cars & motorcycles, smart phones and dressing well.

2 The Thais are more "well nourished" and many kids are past being chubby.

3 Fewer smiles and more agressive overall. Not the majority however a significant minority of Thais are itching to remind us that we are not really wanted here.

I was happy in the US and really enjoyed the peace and quiet, good manners and not having people try to cut in front of me at stores, etc. In the US for nearly one year and never stopped by the police; back to Thailand for 11 months and stopped at least a dozen times for licenese/tax documents.

A lot of inflation in both countries but the US sales distribution is more efficient and there are values to be had. Bought a good pair of jeans at Wall Mart for the equivelent of 300 baht. Paid 500 baht for some Levi's copies at Jatujak market and they fell apart way too soon.

I still enjoy life in Thailand, ridingh my bike all year long and the opportunity to meet people from around thw world but I have no qualms about eventually returning home to live. I'll probably always yearn to travel and be out of the USA for two or three months a year, but my home base will no longer be Thailand.

Just one guys thoughts and I'm not saying that Thailand is not a good place to live. But its a big world out there and I've barely touched Africa and South America Posted Image

You've been stopped a dozen times or more in 11 months?!

That is astonishing. I haven't reached anywhere near that total in decades...

• Like 1

I am planning to return home after 18 years for something similar to those issues as above.

However, I am getting completely disillusioned with where the country is going. Things are not adding up financially for the country, and the violence appears to have increased massively in the last few years. The corruption and hoops I have to jump through to run a business here have also got me down in recent times and it just doesn't represent the opportunity it did in my eyes even a few years ago.

However, I have been badly let down by some very long standing friends and this has probably hurt more than anything. I finally feel like just any other farang to be used and that is in the end enough.

The ridiculously tough immigration and fixed paternalistic business structure has finally driven me nuts. It seems they would rather prevent foreigners getting ahead, than allow us to contribute to building the country.

I used to think I clearly understood how Thailand worked. Increasingly, I feel I understand less and less.

TaH, can I ask for some clarification, pls - were the long-standing 'friends' who let you down Thai or Farang, and are we talking Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand ?

Thai friend, of 16 years. Behaving in a way that friends should never act towards each other. I am sure they are completely oblivious to it, believing that the farang is not smart enough to work out that they have treated someone with contempt.

Thailand - Good food, bad police, bad traffic. Great if you are single, difficult if you have children.

...many of us would also object to the 'good food' myth..Posted Image

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that no one does - to say the food is good (as many do) is not a "myth", it's an expression of an opinion.

Thailand - Good food, bad police, bad traffic. Great if you are single, difficult if you have children.

...many of us would also object to the 'good food' myth..coffee1.gif

You can object all you want but it is just your opinion. What are your complaints about Thai food? While not important, the general consensus amongst travelers is that Thai food is extraordinary.

Personally, I have to only pity someone who dislikes Thai food. It boggles my mind. What kind of food do you like?

farang999, no shortage of TVers who claim to dislike Thai food - I dont get it either, as it's one of the country's biggest drawcards IMO, but they are out there. I even recall one TVer referring to Thai food as 'roadkill' and saying he far preferred Farang food.

Horses for courses (no pun intended ..), but a few nights in Laos or Cambo and I guarantee that most will soon realise how much better Thai food is at street level. Malaysia is in a class of it's own - so many influences converging in a single 'cuisine' - but that's a discussion for another thread. I'd probably rate Indian and Italian slightly above the Thai food I've had, but all three stomp anything from the 'meat and 3 veg' school of culinary excellence IMO.

Thailand is the same as every other country. The elite who own the wealth and have controlled the country for centuries live in fear of the proletariat who will one day overthrow them. The only two ways to hold on to power is through an iron fist to any dissenting opinion and secondly through creating a fear in minds of the masses over an imagined enemy, who the elites then come to be the hero when they save the proletariat from this enemy. Foreigners and minority groups are an easy scapegoat.

Your disillusionment is because you want to be part of the club that doesn't want you as a member.

Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about. The proletariat is only knowledgeable enough to think about change because of the royal initiatives undertaken since the reign of King Rama V to develop the education system. If the 'elites' feared the proletariat, they would've kept them stupid. The internal conflicts Thailand has experienced over the past 80 years are struggles between certain groups (or families) using the proletariat against the existing establishment. The elites have always encouraged the slow but steady growth and development of the proletariat.

Hmmmm, on your last sentence....... Because of ? Reason for ? What is in it for them ?

If the elites feared the proletariat they would have kept them stupid, you write. Hmmm again, please explain ?

Almost all improvements to the education system over the past 100 years started with royal initiatives. The elites follow the will of the monarchy and it is the role of the Thai monarchy to help Thailand develop (it's part of the oath the Kings of Thailand must take before acceding to the throne). The reason the monarchy of Thailand has so much support is because the Kings of Thailand have dedicated their lives to the proletariat. The opposition to the establishment in Thailand comes from a few small individuals among the elites - have a look at every major political incident since 1932 - they weren't initiated by the proletariat [unless the definition of proletariat has been broadened to include everyone from off-shore educated elites (1932 revolution) to billionaire private jet flying fugitives (red shirts)]. It is these individuals and their supporters who are using the proletariat to bring legitimacy to the conflicts they start.

Stupid is a relative term, the average Thai person is a lot smarter and more worldly than the average Thai of 100 years ago.

...many of us would also object to the 'good food' myth..coffee1.gif

You can object all you want but it is just your opinion. What are your complaints about Thai food? While not important, the general consensus amongst travelers is that Thai food is extraordinary.

Personally, I have to only pity someone who dislikes Thai food. It boggles my mind. What kind of food do you like?

I love Thai food but only rookies think that street food full of cheap ingredients and oil is good for health...

Thailand is the same as every other country. The elite who own the wealth and have controlled the country for centuries live in fear of the proletariat who will one day overthrow them. The only two ways to hold on to power is through an iron fist to any dissenting opinion and secondly through creating a fear in minds of the masses over an imagined enemy, who the elites then come to be the hero when they save the proletariat from this enemy. Foreigners and minority groups are an easy scapegoat.

Your disillusionment is because you want to be part of the club that doesn't want you as a member.

Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about. The proletariat is only knowledgeable enough to think about change because of the royal initiatives undertaken since the reign of King Rama V to develop the education system. If the 'elites' feared the proletariat, they would've kept them stupid. The internal conflicts Thailand has experienced over the past 80 years are struggles between certain groups (or families) using the proletariat against the existing establishment. The elites have always encouraged the slow but steady growth and development of the proletariat.

wprime, the elite to this day do continue to try to keep the proletariat uninformed. How else do you explain their action blocking youtube and other websites, censorship and banning books and simple discussion of ideas and free speech, and of course the draconian sentences for the Lese Majeste offences. Yes it's an elite ruling the country through fear.

The proletariat of Thailand is far more informed than the average proletariat of Thailand 80 years ago, as I said the development of the proletariat has been slow and steady. There's no point in freeing all this information because they're not educated enough to deal with it - that's what they're working on first. What simple discussion of ideas and free speech are illegal in Thailand yet legal in the western world? Free speech doesn't exist anywhere, you're always limited by defamation laws. As for lese majeste, the King is the country - desecrating national symbols is illegal in almost every western country - yes the sentences seem draconian in Thailand but they are never served - the King has always pardoned individuals for lese majeste.

• Like 1