South African family attacked in Phuket nighttime street

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, good point by someone, where is the DSI? With all the heavy hitters present on the island, time to step up to the plate. The BiB can easily find out who was involved in the incident without the need to question the family, and make an impression on the thugs. Hopefully a permanent impression on a vital bodypart. Verbal row turns into gang-beating in front of wife and kids. Lovely stuff Phuket, really lovely. And I can wager a bet they are transport related thugs ....

these tuk tuk scum really do believe they own everything on this Island - Eventually the powers that be will realise how much its affecting Phuket and do something about - but sadly i believe it will be too late by then - Phuket is on a downward spiral with no end in sight.

From what's been said by those that appear to know, when you deal with the tuk tuks you are dealing with the powers that be.

• Like 1

Are all victims of crimes required to pose for newspapers by pointing to criminals and/or the damage they have inflicted on the victims. It seems to me this choreographing of victims is another form of victimization. Does the cop get a kickback from the photographer?

Judging by the photo he finds the whole thing amusing.

The guy said his name is Bob House? No ways, Google the name. By also not lodging a formal complaint, it makes me wonder. But yes I avoid Phuket, there are better places to visit in Thailand.

Yes I googled Robert House and there are a few of them, including South Africans. what now?

Edited by chooka

Are all victims of crimes required to pose for newspapers by pointing to criminals and/or the damage they have inflicted on the victims. It seems to me this choreographing of victims is another form of victimization. Does the cop get a kickback from the photographer?

Judging by the photo he finds the whole thing amusing.

Yes, I expect the cop does...not the distraught victim

“I just ran,” he told bystanders. “They chased me and hit me and I kept running and they kept hitting me.”

Unless they pulled a gun or knife on you, who the hell runs away a leaves their wife n kids in a dangerous situation ??

Gutless beyond belief...

It may have been quite comical to watch...the father must of said something to the guy that pissed-him big time. Some expats shoot their mouths pretty easily..forgetting where they are perhaps.

“I just ran,” he told bystanders. “They chased me and hit me and I kept running and they kept hitting me.”

Unless they pulled a gun or knife on you, who the hell runs away a leaves their wife n kids in a dangerous situation ??

Gutless beyond belief...

That's a little harsh. It appears they were after the husband not the wife and kids and whilst they were chasing and beating him the family were actually out of harms way. Not every is Van Damme and can single handed take on 4 assailants.

They were not out of harms way:

During the attack the family had all run in different directions.

All were attacked at some stage, some ending up with bleeding heads or cuts and bruises to the face and body.

Gutless beyond belief...

That's a little harsh. It appears they were after the husband not the wife and kids and whilst they were chasing and beating him the family were actually out of harms way. Not every is Van Damme and can single handed take on 4 assailants.

No, the family were beaten too according to the report, maybe you missed that bit ?

He just ran without knowing what was happening !!

I'm not suggesting he take on all the guys but I would at least expect him to make sure his family were ok..

The report also says 6 Thai men were involved in the assault. It doesn't say the age of the children or the parents. It doesn't give all the details of how events escalated and the assualt started either.

Go on then, if you were out with your wife and kids and 6 men attacked you what would you advise?

Protect your wife and kids

• Like 1

Who started the shouting match, leading to the physical reaction? If it was the foreigner, well, then the same thing could have happened in any other country. But of course, in this forum, it's going to be the Thai who is totally to blame.

If you don't know all the facts, how can you pass any form of judgement?

Thankfully I live in Pattaya, you don't get shenanigans like this happening here. coffee1.gif

I too live near Pattaya: in the last nine months I have had a nail in a piece of wood placed under a tyre (a new tyre needed); two separate scratches on my new car - one down the complete length; the other across the back.

Is this Thainess?

'Nobody helped us,' South African family attacked by six men claim
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The South African family attacked near Soi Bangla (map here) after midnight on Tuesday morning said they “called for help, but nobody helped”.

The family of four – mother, father and two children in their 20’s – were “hanging out near the beach road” when they were suddenly attacked, the father later told rescue workers.

Six men appeared “out from nowhere” and started to swear at the family and physically attack them, the father, 46, said.

“I don’t know who they were. I only remember a man wearing a red shirt was the one who started swearing at us. They hit us on our faces and bodies. We called out for help, but nobody helped us.

“As soon as we had a chance to escape, we ran for our lives – in separate directions,” he said.

The family later reconvened in front of Jungceylon and called police for help.

Shortly after 1:45am, police and Kusoldharm Foundation workers arrived on the scene

“We found the family in front of Jungceylon shopping mall [map here],” said a Kusoldharm worker.

“They said they had been attacked by six men in front of the Aloha Villa Hotel on Rat Uthit 200 Pee Road [about a block away from Bangla Road].

“They were clearly injured. In addition to marks on their heads and mouths, they had scratches on their bodies," he said.

“They told us they were from South Africa,” he added.

The family has not yet filed a report with the police, Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksat confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today.

“Police asked the family to file a complaint at the station, so we can have more information that might lead to the arrest of the suspects. Besides, we need them to tell us more about what could have motivated the attack.

“However, because they haven’t filed a complaint, we are not working on the case,” Lt Col Akanit said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/-Nobody-helped-us-South-African-family-attacked-by-six-men-claim-21818.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-31

As usual the details are missing. There must be an element of WHY this happened. WHY did these 6 thugs attack this family of four? In any case, attacking a family with kids, even if they are grown kids, is especially low and something I have never heard of in Thailand or anywhere else. My theory is that perhaps the father shouted from his hotel that there was too much noise being made outside by the 6 thugs and later on they received a beating for daring to express their right to have a peaceful night's sleep. OK perhaps I'm completely wrong but it couldn't have been a completely random attack either.

As for the tyre slashing on the Chinese tourist's rental car, well perhaps next time she decides to rent a car overseas she might want to choose more wisely where she parks her car. Having said that, you can't always know where you aren't supposed to park, but I would never park anywhere near a congregation of taxis or so because of the ensuing traffic jam you would cause and yes - the possibility of tyre slashing, even broken windows would cross my mind even before it were to happen. Park somewhere quieter, further away where it's safe to park, walk a few steps more and everyone will be happier.

If I park something somewhere 'a local' doesn't like it. I say. "oh so sorry so sorry. I hope I haven't inconvenienced you. Oh right?

I'm not allowed to park here. OK."

If I can't see a quick cheap exit. "Can I compensate you in some small way."

Bow. Smile. etc etc 100 baht later what ? $3 dollars or a beating?

I have no right to cast dispersions on the Seth Efricans, but there was a 'shouting match'? Not a good idea.

But how would people know?

We are juxtaposing the poor, proud and under educated, with the wealthy, proud and over educated. S. . t happens.

Is it time travel warnings were issued for Phuket regarding tuk tuk and taxi drivers. Do not offend under any circumstances!!

Phuket has been off the holiday circuit for a number of well heeled people I know for a couple of years now,

but guess what? Its not because of the Thais.

Thankfully I live in Pattaya, you don't get shenanigans like this happening here. coffee1.gif

Seems as tho Phuket has stepped up to the plate and taken the Mantle from Pattaya. Unfortunately where there is a reasonable concentration of tourists the lowlife will congregate. As the tourists find other destinations the problems will follow. Chiangmai is a relatively quite area at the moment but has the potential for change as more tourists come.

Don't you know that CM is a very popular tourist destination and sees hundreds-of-thousands of tourists every year?

Gutless beyond belief...

You have no way of knowing the details of the situation and how things actually happened, and so you assumptions are just that .... assumptions. Meanwhile, are you saying that because someone had a gun you'd be OK with running away and abandoning your wife and kids?

• Like 2

This could only happen in Phuket!

Thais have never teamed up to attack a westerner anywhere else in Thailand!

The many threads on this subject on the forum over the years are all lies!

our survey says...................................