Elderly American Dies From A Heart Attack At A Barber Salon

Rimmer

Elder American Dies From A Heart Attack At A Barber Salon

The owner of a barber salon was shocked after a foreign customer died inside the salon from a sudden heart attack.

PATTAYA – July 29, 2013; Pattaya Police received a report from the owner of a barber salon in South Pattaya that an elder foreign customer had died in the salon. A rescue and police team were dispatched to the incident.

The person who had died in the salon was identified as Mr. Robert Caswell, aged 65, an American national. He was found sitting dead on the barber chair in the salon, he only 20 minutes prior the arrival of the police and rescue team.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/07/30/elder-american-dies-from-a-heart-attack-at-a-barber-salon/

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-07-31

Doctors at the hospital he was sent to tried restart his heart using a defibrillator, but their attempt unfortunately failed.

It took 20 minutes for police and rescue team to arrive and goodness how long to get him to hospital, I would not expect there be much chance of resuscitating him with a defibrillator (AED).

With the cost of a good quality AED running at only 50,000B and some even half that price is it not to much to expect:

• ​One AED per 1,000 per head of population?
  • for every AED in the community 10 trained to use it?

​I would expect the life of a regularly serviced AED to last at least 5 years, surely one on every ambulance, in every clinic, in every village, and in built up areas like pattaya:

One or more in every:

Factory or office complex that employs over 1,000 people.

Hotel, condominium and apartment block with over 300 rooms

Large shopping malls

​Places of entertainment with a capacity for over 1,000persons

Large gyms

In reality in Pattaya you should not be more than 100 meters away from one, even lamp posts should have a signs pointing to the nearest one.

• Like 1

In the UK (and I imagine other Western cointries) Paramedics on fully equipped motor cycles are able to get to emergencies far quicker than these old banger estate cars that are used here, and as we all have seen very few drivers make wsy for them thus cutting the chances for heart victims...

RIP

• Like 1

Doctors at the hospital he was sent to tried restart his heart using a defibrillator, but their attempt unfortunately failed.

It took 20 minutes for police and rescue team to arrive and goodness how long to get him to hospital, I would not expect there be much chance of resuscitating him with a defibrillator (AED).

With the cost of a good quality AED running at only 50,000B and some even half that price is it not to much to expect:

​I would expect the life of a regularly serviced AED to last at least 5 years, surely one on every ambulance, in every clinic, in every village, and in built up areas like pattaya:

One or more in every:

Large shopping malls

Large gyms

In reality in Pattaya you should not be more than 100 meters away from one, even lamp posts should have a signs pointing to the nearest one.

Can you just imagine all the passed out drunks, epileptics and deep sleepers snoozing on beach chairs who will have a heart attack after some know- it- all farang thinks he's qualified to play local hero with the paddles.

Or just as bad, can you just imagine how long something with a price tag of baht 50,000 with unrestricted access every 100 meters in pattaya would last? The patrons of every bar on Walking Street would be tasering one another for kicks and every market would be flogging slightly used medical equipment.

At least this guy died with some dignity, which wouldn't have been the case with a bunch of people playing doctor & using him for practice.

My suggestion is that these devices should be located where there would be staff trained in their use.

Also being no more that 100 meters away from one really means them being stationed no more that 200 meters apart, this may a bit optimistic but 500 meters seem practical,

Yes train rescue teams to paramedic standards, but even to have lesser trained personnel with basic items as an AED is designed to be used by persons with little training would be better than nothing.

As far as the dignity of people goes, I have had to assist resuscitate two people with their families present, those were the days before AED's and Paramedics, on both occasions there were family members present, on the last occasion it was 20 minute before a doctor turned up and after a brief examination said no point in continuing, in both occasions the families were grateful for us trying, but I am sure if Suradit Gets "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed upon his chest, his wishes would be respected.

• Like 1

Thats the way i would like to go ,instantly. ,but in about at least 20 more years.RIP.

Yes, I want to join that club too!!!

May be when I get to 101 I may get "Do Not Resuscitate" Tattooed upon my chest or maybe the quality of life for Gerry Hat Tricks will have improved a lot by then...

• 3 months later...

One or more in every:

Large shopping malls

Large gyms

Can you just imagine all the passed out drunks, epileptics and deep sleepers snoozing on beach chairs who will have a heart attack after some know- it- all farang thinks he's qualified to play local hero with the paddles.

Or just as bad, can you just imagine how long something with a price tag of baht 50,000 with unrestricted access every 100 meters in pattaya would last? The patrons of every bar on Walking Street would be tasering one another for kicks and every market would be flogging slightly used medical equipment.

At least this guy died with some dignity, which wouldn't have been the case with a bunch of people playing doctor & using him for practice.

FYI AED's will not shock a person with a normal rhythm. It's a 4 hour course to learn to use them. They are idiot proof.

In the UK (and I imagine other Western cointries) Paramedics on fully equipped motor cycles are able to get to emergencies far quicker than these old banger estate cars that are used here, and as we all have seen very few drivers make wsy for them thus cutting the chances for heart victims...

RIP

yes, in the uk they come super fast ie within 5 min. I was living in zone 2 many yrs ago and had an emergency. I was surprised about the speedy service to be honest. NHS at its best. In Asia, your best to get a private car or taxi as opposed to waiting for an ambulance

One or more in every:

Large shopping malls

Large gyms

My suggestion is that these devices should be located where there would be staff trained in their use.

Also being no more that 100 meters away from one really means them being stationed no more that 200 meters apart, this may a bit optimistic but 500 meters seem practical,

Yes train rescue teams to paramedic standards, but even to have lesser trained personnel with basic items as an AED is designed to be used by persons with little training would be better than nothing.

As far as the dignity of people goes, I have had to assist resuscitate two people with their families present, those were the days before AED's and Paramedics, on both occasions there were family members present, on the last occasion it was 20 minute before a doctor turned up and after a brief examination said no point in continuing, in both occasions the families were grateful for us trying, but I am sure if Suradit Gets "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed upon his chest, his wishes would be respected.

They can't keep the street lights or the surveillance cameras operational so this may be a non-starter.