What's different about Chiang Mai?

aTomsLife

In places like Phuket and Pattaya, every day there are reports of tourists being ripped off, assaulted and sometimes much worse -- even murdered. Chiang Mai has no shortage of tourists, but one doesn't hear many if any horror stories like those coming out of the aforementioned places.

So what's different about Chiang Mai? Is it its police force, its lower cost of living, its Lanna heritage? Why do places like Phuket and Pattaya attract so many Thais looking to exploit tourists, while visitors to Chiang Mai tend to come and go without issue?

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of drunken backpackers around CM. Though there certainly is less of a P4P scene. The thing is, many of the crimes in Phuket involve vacationing families. Even some of the hotel operators can be shady characters.

In places like Phuket and Pattaya, every day there are reports of tourists being ripped off, assaulted and sometimes much worse -- even murdered. Chiang Mai has no shortage of tourists, but one doesn't hear many if any horror stories like those coming out of the aforementioned places.

People in Phuket and Pattaya are complete amateurs in covering it up.

What in particular is being covered up here?

• Like 1

Agreed, Chiang Mai seems a pleasant place to live. There hasn't been a shooting in the main street in a week or so.

BTW: Has anyone heard how the victim is getting on? (from the Nimmanheiman incident)

Best wishes to him.

• Like 1

Agreed, Chiang Mai seems a pleasant place to live. There hasn't been a shooting in the main street in a week or so.

I don't just mean the truly egregious crimes like this:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657539-american-man-killed-in-krabi-son-severely-injured/.

I'm saying that even the tuktuk culture in CM is tame and relatively civilized, at least in my experience. (e.g., about 100 baht from night bazaar to Nimmanhemin late at night). It seems only the guys parked in front of Zoe try to take the piss.

• Like 2

People in Phuket and Pattaya are complete amateurs in covering it up.

What in particular is being covered up here?

Sense of humor. tongue.png

I thought you were talking about the jet ski scams.tongue.png

By the way great article about the beaches and quantity of tourists.

Also the lack of English speaking news papers tends to make Chiang Mai look good. Of the two I am aware of there dosen't seem to be that much happening here.sad.png

Because unlike Phuket and Pattaya that are geared up for tourists, Chiang Mai is seriously dead.

In Phuket and Pattaya that have vibrant adult entertainments, nightlife, bars and many establishments that attract Western tourists, there are large numbers of tourists ripe for exploration and being ripped off, but in Chiang Mai, although the official figures will try to tell you otherwise, there is a small amount of Western tourists, getting less year by year.

So to answer the OP`s question: there are less problems because there are a lot less western tourists and expats in Chiang Mai and not many venues for them to hang around at.

But, my son is a police officer in Chiang Mai, I mention this for the OP`s benefit, and I get to hear of a whole bunch of crap that happens here which most normally don`t hear about via official channels and the media. Chiang Mai is not as crime free as many may believe, although for reasons mentioned above, it is still a safer haven for farangs than in Bangkok and anywhere southwards of the country.

Beg to differ I think Chiang Mai has much more to offer tourists than Pattaya and Phuket. Of course the beaches do enhance those two locations.

Other than that all they have to offer is night life. A great draw for the sex pat's. I wouldn't exactly call a sex pat a tourist.

• Like 2

In Phuket and Pattaya that have vibrant adult entertainments, nightlife, bars and many establishments that attract Western tourists, there are large numbers of tourists ripe for exploration and being ripped off

Yes, and they are normally ignorant, disrespectful, low-rent, beer-swilling, vest-wearing, obese slobs whose idea of exploring culture is smearing yoghurt over some "adult entertainer"s body and telling their mates in the pub what they did after that.

And it keeps that type of person out of Chiang Mai, which is two thumbs up from me.

More or less on the same lines as what I was saying.

And this is why there are lower crime rates against farangs in Chiang Mai, although these days I do miss the opportunities of smearing yoghurt over some "adult entertainer"s body and being able to boast about it afterwards. Banana flavour always used to be a favourite with little Ying at the Paradise bar.

• Like 2

Plenty of drunken backpackers around CM. Though there certainly is less of a P4P scene. The thing is, many of the crimes in Phuket involve vacationing families. Even some of the hotel operators can be shady characters.

While I'm no fan of the backpacker crowd, they generally do not go out looking for trouble like the shaved-head, tattooed, douchebag farang hordes that flock to Pattaya, Phuket, etc., looking for trouble...no wonder the Thais, many of whom live by the same "laws" of thuggery, off them in great numbers.

I think they are good at hiding it. A while back I shared a room in Bumrungrad with a guy that was attacked in CM. walking back 2 blocks to his hotel, a truck with 5 guys stopped him, beat the hell out of him and shattered his ankle bone. Just for his money and watch. Didn't ask him for the money. Just beat the hell out of him. Had to fly down to Bkk with a shattered ankle. Those kind of things don't hit the news.

• Like 1

And you only took note of that one because it involved a foreigner.

it seemed to be the only report in the Thai Visa about a shooting.

Chiang Mai attracts a different kind of visitor than Sodom and Gomorrah down south, both tourists and ex pats. The tourists come to see the 'real' Thailand and the ex pats tend to spend their time with their families not in bars.

The Thais are different too, mainly locals who are happy with the quieter pace of life up here.

I agree with practically all the comments. Most of them can be summarised in one sentence: It's the type of tourists that flock to Pattaya and Phuket ( and may I add that I do know of one or two places that one can enjoy a safe and very pleasant holiday with ones family in Phuket), who most certainly do not look for cultural attractions , but for other ones. The Chiang Mai tourists are a different breed, they may be back packers, but they mostly look for what Chiang Mai has to offer, beautiful gardens, most interesting Lana culture, cleaner streets and a astoundingly beautiful surroundings.