Rayong oil spill: Satellite photo shows oil cleared so far

webfact

Only 50,000 litres? I find that hard to believe.

An Olympic size swimming pool holds 2,500,000 litres... that's 50 times as much as the oil that was allegedly leaked.

50,000 litres wouldn't fill the pool in my garden. Doesn't sound right does it?

• Like 1

Got to remember what you are seeing in that photo is only a light sheen of oil not the thick sludge that entered the bay.

If you compare it with the previous day you will see it is smaller and more broken, it will probably disappear in the next few days

Koh Samet oil spill dispersing
By Coconuts Bangkok

RAYONG: -- The size of the oil slick off of Koh Samet’s Phrao Bay decreased from nine square kilometers yesterday to five square kilometers today, according to satellite imagery.

A satellite photo of the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (Gitsda), obtained today at 6:09am, revealed that the oil film shrank in size and thickness, raising the possibility that the muck would not reach up to other surrounding islands – Koh Pla Teen, Koh Kham and Koh Kudi.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/01/koh-samet-oil-spill-dispersing

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-08-01

If you take 50kl and you spread that out in a film level thickness, it can cover a huge area. so yep, i buy the 50kl estimate to a rough order.

but the film size may actually be less. If there any remote sensing guys out there please correct me.

You cant actually "see" the film from satellite. But you can see what the film does to other measurable factors.

I wont bore you with measurement details for remote sensing but i think this is just the Aug1 shot and only from Aug1. maybe water vapor affected wavelengths combined with IR. a better measurement would have been to subtract a "control" of this date with the Aug 1 shot. Then the oil slick would be the primary difference and should show up a bit more clearly.

but still seeing the differences from day to day. ie, the july29, july31 and aug1 shots clearly shows the slick moving and only hitting the northern side of the island and getting smaller.

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

I really hope this oil dosent spoil the beach and frighten away the tourist. Cant they just put some chemicals on it, and let it sink to the bottom, where it will be out of sight? We dont really need all that coral and fish breading grounds anyway, since that just complicates things.

• Like 1

Well, here's another view; they don't seem to synch completely... ;-} rap.

The Huffington Post ~BLACKENED BEACHES: An oil spill that has marred a tourist island in the Gulf of Thailand has now spread to nearby smaller isles, officials said Wednesday. For more: http://huff.to/18S7goU** coffee1.gif

Interesting bit in the other paper about the amount of dispersant used.

The pollution control department authorized 5000 liters dispersant could be used. Based on PTT's claim of 50,000 liters leaked into the water and 1:10 ratio dispersant to oil being optimal.

PTT then requested to use 25,000 liter dispersant and was denied permission. In the end PTT ignored that Govt order and used 35,000 liters on this spill so far.

• Like 2

Good news, I hope the fish and bird read this...

What about photo that shows the oil sunken, and a drop of water under the microscope...

there aren't many seabirds here because the gulf has been overfished, I've seen posts about the corals but they're not very impressive because of the previous pollution here before any foreigners noticed. further east are some islands where there could have been damage done to turtle nesting sites, there are a lot of islands between here and Pattaya the Royal Thai Navy doesn't allow you to land on.

p.s. after the video of the monk throwing a dog around a temple this will be forgotten, apparently it did it's number 2 where it shouldn't have.

Edited by sandrabbit
  • Like 2

If you take 50kl and you spread that out in a film level thickness, it can cover a huge area. so yep, i buy the 50kl estimate to a rough order.

but the film size may actually be less. If there any remote sensing guys out there please correct me.

You cant actually "see" the film from satellite. But you can see what the film does to other measurable factors.

I wont bore you with measurement details for remote sensing but i think this is just the Aug1 shot and only from Aug1. maybe water vapor affected wavelengths combined with IR. a better measurement would have been to subtract a "control" of this date with the Aug 1 shot. Then the oil slick would be the primary difference and should show up a bit more clearly.

but still seeing the differences from day to day. ie, the july29, july31 and aug1 shots clearly shows the slick moving and only hitting the northern side of the island and getting smaller.

Yes you can see the difference between the oil and the water in the radar image, the reflection is different, just as an optical reflection is "seen" by your eyes to be of different colours

The x-band radar signature is not affected by normal water vapour or IR, but can be affected by heavy cloud containing lots of ice particles, but that is not the case here.

There are also observations in the C-band from the canadian radarsat-2 satellite which are even less effected and they also show the extent of the slick

The X-band Cosmo-skymed has been more usefuk in this case as it is a constellation of 4 satellites and so there is a greater frequency of imaging,

• Like 2

What about photo that shows the oil sunken, and a drop of water under the microscope...

there aren't many seabirds here because the gulf has been overfished, I've seen posts about the corals but they're not very impressive because of the previous pollution here before any foreigners noticed. further east are some islands where there could have been damage done to turtle nesting sites, there are a lot of islands between here and Pattaya the Royal Thai Navy doesn't allow you to land on.

p.s. after the video of the monk throwing a dog around a temple this will be forgotten, apparently it did it's number 2 where it shouldn't have.

A monk threw a dog around a temple? Do you have a link to that video, I didn't see it on google.

Even though we may not see it around most of the island, doesn't all that oil stink up the whole place? Anyone on Samet and is there an oily smell to the water in the more populated tourist side?

Guess I will stick to Hua Hin.

• Like 1

A monk threw a dog around a temple? Do you have a link to that video, I didn't see it on google.

Link is to find in many Thai News resources, He is not just throwing that dog around, that is cruel and abusive and his action is very much against all what Buddhism teaches...I`ve got it from Thai friends to my Facebook, all in Thai.

Here is that video with my very own comments as I have tweeted it....

CAPTURED: see highly questionable, berserk Buddhist monk torturing an innocent dog on Chonburi temple grounds.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>DISGUSTING! Thai Buddhist Monk tortured dog on Temple grounds.That guy can`t be a real Buddhist Monk. <a href="http://t.co/HIeSBM1AQA">http://t.co/HIeSBM1AQA</a></p>— TinaKohChang (@TinaKohChang) <a href="https://twitter.com/TinaKohChang/statuses/363055434938064896">August 1, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 1

An Olympic size swimming pool holds 2,500,000 litres... that's 50 times as much as the oil that was allegedly leaked.

I'm not sure if the 50000 liters are correct, but oil floats on water, therefore 50000 liters will be able to cover a huge area.

go and take one drop of used dirty engine oil and drop it in your swimming pool and come back and tell us how far it spreads out on the water....50k liters would cause a very big "slick"

The number could be right or it could be more, as we know from the GOM BP thing, companies will apply very conservative estimates over how much has leaked

• Like 2

go and take one drop of used dirty engine oil and drop it in your swimming pool and come back and tell us how far it spreads out on the water....50k liters would cause a very big "slick"

The number could be right or it could be more, as we know from the GOM BP thing, companies will apply very conservative estimates over how much has leaked

But is clear from the images and videos of the oil on the beach that it is a lot more viscous than engine oil and so wouldn't spread nearly as much. Try one drop of heavy crude in your swimming pool........

But is clear from the images and videos of the oil on the beach that it is a lot more viscous than engine oil and so wouldn't spread nearly as much. Try one drop of heavy crude in your swimming pool........

Granted but the principle is the same, besides even with a "heavy" crude, with sunlight, sea action, and warm water.... light fractions will come off the "heavy crude" and spread so the analogy is valid.

Got to remember what you are seeing in that photo is only a light sheen of oil not the thick sludge that entered the bay.

If you compare it with the previous day you will see it is smaller and more broken, it will probably disappear in the next few days

It won't disappear, it will just spread out enough so it cannot be viewed from space. Also, what won't be seen is all the damage to the ecosystem, sea creatures, plant life,and the effects of the spill on the health of all the people who live in the area. I am sure that the officials involved (PTT, TAT, etc.) will use those photos to try and dupe the public into believing that all is well and there is absolutely no danger to anyone in area. Perhaps hiring an independent outsider to evaluate the damage would give more credibility to any report about the safety. After all, Thailand always values and accepts outside expertise (Tongue in cheek here).

They should be very happy as soon no tourist would see it! But poor see creatures will! Oil doesn't magically evaporate or something. It is there and will be there and will destroy the ecosystem! It might take years for the environment to recover to its previous state! unsure.png

related topic:

Govt plans tourism revival after oil spill off Samet Island

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657839-govt-plans-tourism-revival-after-oil-spill-off-samet-island/

Oh yeah! "Tourism Revival" not environment revival. That's great news! sick.gif

Come on, guys! Have you seen the size of that slick and the amount of oil already washed up on the beach?

• Like 1