Where to buy large military style duffle bags or lightweight suitcases?

labik

Preferably Bangkok. Am going to be flying back to my home country next month and I am already quite stuffed, not so much on space but on KG, which is how the airlines seem to be measuring things these days.

Was in the military long ago (well, 90s) and I remember those large green duffle bags (for army), in the navy we called them "sea bags". Quite light and could put loads into them when folded well.

Any special military gear shops in BKK, preferably with real stuff (won't fall apart). Or else, any suggestion on super light bags to take on plane? My suitcase is 7kg all by itself. Be nice to get a sturdy bag maybe ~2kg or so. Have thought about those "rainbow color" bags Thai stalls/sellers use, but it might not be sturdy for a long haul while packed, and honestly, would you look awkward arriving to the US lugging that thing around? Anyone done that? Been a long time since I've been back.

If you don't want to pay a lot and just as an alternative suggestion if you can't get anything ready made is go to China town, buy some canvas or ripstop nylon and get a dressmaker to make it . If it is just a military style duffle it wouldn't be too hard. Also buy a good thread to be sewn with . Or else just get a cheap duffle bag , the ones with a zip , and use a couple of compression straps to hold everything in if you don't trust the strength of the bag or the baggage handlers at the airport.

I have brought stuff into Thailand in those rainbow bags but it was only stuff of little value like fruit and food and gifts for the family . They are strong enough for normal use but not for the boofhead baggage handlers at the airport are a breed apart..

I asked an army guy. He told me there is a big military clothing store close to the King's Palace that would have them. I don't have a name or address so you would have to go to the area and ask around.

Edited by kennedy

Thanks.

StreetCowboy, regarding "big stripey blue Amah bag from a Chinese hardware store", you're talking about the ones similar to the plasticky cheap market bags in design I mentioned, but are instead made with a tougher, stronger mesh / threaded material?

Bangcockney, nice website, very nice equipment, but quite pricey for me.

Xen, you used one of the rainbow market bags huh? Actually my biggest problem is just looking out of place / cheapy / poor as I'll be lugging stuff around once back in the home country. As for sturdiness, one trick a person could do is to double layer it, just buy two exact same copies, put one inside the other, makes thicker. I've done it on the buses when going into Cambodia. But I wonder what it looks like showing up in a first world country where everyone else has Samsonite, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton. I'll be arriving to San Francisco, myself.

Kennedy, is that Grand Palace near Sanam Luang / Khao San Road? Or do you mean up north near Chitralada Palace acros from the zoo.

Have never shopped in Chinatown nor Chatuchak weekend market, but both sound like they definitely might have stuff like that. Thanks for the ideas.

Preferably Bangkok. Am going to be flying back to my home country next month and I am already quite stuffed, not so much on space but on KG, which is how the airlines seem to be measuring things these days.

Was in the military long ago (well, 90s) and I remember those large green duffle bags (for army), in the navy we called them "sea bags". Quite light and could put loads into them when folded well.

Any special military gear shops in BKK, preferably with real stuff (won't fall apart). Or else, any suggestion on super light bags to take on plane? My suitcase is 7kg all by itself. Be nice to get a sturdy bag maybe ~2kg or so. Have thought about those "rainbow color" bags Thai stalls/sellers use, but it might not be sturdy for a long haul while packed, and honestly, would you look awkward arriving to the US lugging that thing around? Anyone done that? Been a long time since I've been back.

Hi labik!

You might get this in a shop in Pattaya, which sells all this kind of stuff.

The shop is located next to Tops Supermarket (Junction of Second road with Central Pattaya Road).

Just next to Tops, on Second Road - when you are heading North> (towards Soi 6).

Hope this helps...

have a safe trip, Bon Voyage.smile.png

Thanks.

StreetCowboy, regarding "big stripey blue Amah bag from a Chinese hardware store", you're talking about the ones similar to the plasticky cheap market bags in design I mentioned, but are instead made with a tougher, stronger mesh / threaded material?

Bangcockney, nice website, very nice equipment, but quite pricey for me.

Xen, you used one of the rainbow market bags huh? Actually my biggest problem is just looking out of place / cheapy / poor as I'll be lugging stuff around once back in the home country. As for sturdiness, one trick a person could do is to double layer it, just buy two exact same copies, put one inside the other, makes thicker. I've done it on the buses when going into Cambodia. But I wonder what it looks like showing up in a first world country where everyone else has Samsonite, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton. I'll be arriving to San Francisco, myself.

Kennedy, is that Grand Palace near Sanam Luang / Khao San Road? Or do you mean up north near Chitralada Palace acros from the zoo.

Have never shopped in Chinatown nor Chatuchak weekend market, but both sound like they definitely might have stuff like that. Thanks for the ideas.

Actually when i used the rainbow bags it was coming into BKK so i just melded into the crowd.

Hi labik!

The shop is located next to Tops Supermarket (Junction of Second road with Central Pattaya Road).

Thanks for that. I won't likely be in Pattaya this time, but if I am able to make it there I will definitely drop into that place!

Xen, when you were stateside (in your home country) you didn't feel people (non-asians) weren't giving double looks?

But I wonder what it looks like showing up in a first world country where everyone else has Samsonite, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton. I'll be arriving to San Francisco, myself.

My advice: stop giving a shit what it looks like and follow your own convenience.

• Like 1

I'll probably have to disagree with you there. Not to get too much into the details but my situation is such that I'm probably going to be moving around at least the first couple weeks, in and out of hotels, youth hostel, possibly couch surfing at an old friend's, may move to another city, thus on and off buses and trains. I haven't been in the US for a long time and admit I've developed a bit of the asian "face" mentality, but I'd rather "worry" and nit-pick now rather than having "oops" and "oh shits" later.

Hi labik!

Thanks for that. I won't likely be in Pattaya this time, but if I am able to make it there I will definitely drop into that place!

Xen, when you were stateside (in your home country) you didn't feel people (non-asians) weren't giving double looks?

I fly from out of Sydney and at that time i would have been flying Thai International with my Thai family plus we always seem to pick up other Thais that we knew to form a battalion of expat Thais (with token falung) and compared with what they sometime carried i felt quiet okay with the rainbow bag. Once before krispy Kreme donuts opened in Bangkok i was with a large group of Thais flying back for the Christmas break and every Thai had about 5 boxes each of Krispy Kreme donuts.Every overhead locker was full of donuts.

I'll probably have to disagree with you there. Not to get too much into the details but my situation is such that I'm probably going to be moving around at least the first couple weeks, in and out of hotels, youth hostel, possibly couch surfing at an old friend's, may move to another city, thus on and off buses and trains. I haven't been in the US for a long time and admit I've developed a bit of the asian "face" mentality, but I'd rather "worry" and nit-pick now rather than having "oops" and "oh shits" later.

I don't understand. Why should you say "oops" and "oh shit" about how your bag looks.

If you're talking about durability, you can reinforce the bag by doubling up or preferably, as member xen said, using compression straps.

The weight saving is considerable if you're near the limits.