'People's Army' to go ahead with Bangkok rally

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to add an election that PT will win, again. They only ever 'lose' when the army gets involved.

Your idea of democracy is clearly very different from mine.

If the democrats started bribing and kowtowing to farmers and peasants like the Red PT, it would be different. But they have integrity.

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gif The Democrats don't have the money for the vote buying. It isn't a question of integrity, it is a question of funds.

• Like 2

You forgot to add an election that PT will win, again. They only ever 'lose' when the army gets involved.

If the democrats started bribing and kowtowing to farmers and peasants like the Red PT, it would be different. But they have integrity.

The PAD was right.

Those peasant and Farmers (majority) should not get a full vote. They are stupid and don't know what's good for them.

They only support Thaksin since he will give them 300Bt in the next election.

Don't believe that nonsense that things are booming in Issan and the standard of living has increases 40%.

Edited by DiNiro

If you really believe that the amnesty bill, which is likely to be amended & quite possibly include bits of other amnesty 'proposals, won't include Thaksin - I feel sorry for you. Nothing - absolutely nothing - is anywhere near face-value with PTP because their modus operandi is dishonesty -among other negatives.

I don't support Pitak Siam but their protest was deliberately & severly disrupted by the police under instructions from Chalerm & others to make it is difficult as possible for supporters to reach the venue. Tear gas was used quite unnecessarily as well.

This time they have invoked the ISA act, instructed the provincial governors to block protestors from coming to Bangkok and got the police to try to warn off any protestors who might eventually make it. As previously mentioned, if the police had acted like this in 2010, most of the shooting would have been avoided.

In addition why haven't the police prevented the intimidation of V-mask protestors, CC judges, & Admin court judges by the red shirts? The answer is clear - double standards.

I did question why Thaksin was willing to risk his government on this bill in a previous post. Yet I still don't think they'll amend it. There are other ways to bring Thaksin back (as discussed in the leaked tape). I still reckon this is simply to make sure the red shirts are firmly on board with the government's plans for when the time comes.

I don't see why it was difficult for Pitak Siam to use the designated route to the protest area, as many of them did. Rather than trying to take the route past government house which was protected by police. Debatable whether police were heavyhanded. Appeared so initially, but by the time PS tried to drive a van through police lines, not so. Especially as they could've easily taken the designated route. As for the ISA act, provincial governors etc, that was all also done in 2010, w/troops instead of police manning checkpoints on routes to the city. Pretty much standard practice for when you're expecting large, potentially disruptive protests (esp. provincial governors thing - Chris Baker once pointed to the fact that it was seldom mentioned how much money was spent trying to keep the reds away from Bangkok). Anyone in favour of the right to protest would be against such things both in 2010, and now. I also think the police were right to allow a small, symbolic and peaceful protest outside the CC Court, but they should also be willing to give the anti-govt protesters the benefit of the doubt. Yes, the police probably are guilty of double standards, but no one seriously thinks they're impartial - same goes for the military - so what else can we expect?

• Like 1

To avoid a tough suppression, take a note from the red shirts. Make it a family outing! Bring the kids alone. Would this government tear gas children?

Sure. Once gas starts getting tossed around, it's hard to control. In scenarios like this children will have the same lack of rights as adults.

Edited by marell

The PAD was right.

Those peasant and Farmers (majority) should not get a full vote. They are stupid and don't know what's good for them.

Don't believe that nonsense that things are booming in Issan and the standard of living has increases 40%.

yes and with purchasing rice and let it rot Thailand is not independent from foreign demand. Another success story.

The PAD was right.

I think you should re-read what you have written. What a pompous attitude!!! I am sure most people know what is good for them.....and it might not be what you think is good for them. Are you suggesting that some people are only worth half a vote...based on what? You own beliefs?

• Like 2

The PAD was right.

I think you should re-read what you have written. What a pompous attitude!!! I am sure most people know what is good for them.....and it might not be what you think is good for them. Are you suggesting that some people are only worth half a vote...based on what? You own beliefs?

"Country folk willing to throw their country down the toilet for a free lunch and 300bt. on election day."

You know it's true.

The PAD was right.

"Country folk willing to throw their country down the toilet for a free lunch and 300bt. on election day."

You know it's true.

I have said this before. Poor people have more important things to think about than Thaksin coming home, corrupt politicians or the distant future and world politics; they have to strive to put food on their tables. They are concerned with the livelihood of their families and how to pay for the next meal and their debts. They simply do not have the luxury to be forward looking, however educated or intelligent they are - this is a misnomer - they have other priorities. So, if one party offers them food for a week (500 baht) and another doesn't, it would take a truly stupid or immoral person to decide on integrity and watch their children starve for another week.

The only way to get a free vote is to pay people to vote from the state coffers. A single payment per vote of 500 baht. Then make it clear that taking bribes to vote a particular way will incur prosecution and banning from all future election (and thus the money). Then come down hard on bribers and parties that support it. Of course this is all a pipe-dream as its would be like asking a cat to cut off its own tail.

What would also help would be a limiting round before elections. That is, two voting rounds. First to work out the 3 or 4 front leaders (party wise) - and then a second round only including them - this would stop this continuous coalition nonsense that rarely works well.

• Like 1

Neither party has integrity

The PAD was right.

You know it's true.

I understand that you are being satirical (we do need that button) but like every joke yours contains a grain of truth. Where the laugh is on you is the your "Hero of the People" and his proxies have been in office for most of the last decade and has done SFA to increase the education level of his supporters, preferring to offer them populist bribes beset with corruption, and wasting vast amounts of capital that could have been used for infrastructure improvement.

But wait, we can borrow money for that and pay it off over a lifetime.

• Like 1

The PAD was right.

he means it satirical....

But when I think for my own country and other European countries (not so much for Thailand), I think the democracy has a major problem. The stupid controls the country.

If only these who work and pay taxes it might be better.....or not, I don't know.

Well, let's return to the OP, just for the fun of it rolleyes.gif

"Prompong Nopparit, spokesman of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, said Ms Yingluck was scheduled to visit Rayong after returning from her African trip in order to observe the oil slick.

He threatened to petition the Election Committee next week, seeking to dissolve the opposition Democrat Party after its leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and deputy leader Suthep Thaugsuban urged Democrat MPs to join anti-government rallies."

1. It would seems the spokesperson was a bit too quick as Ms. Yingluck will not go.

2. Why threaten to petition if the Pheu Thai via it's spokesperson says k. Abhisit/Suthep are showing a behaviour in breach of the Constitution? If it's a breach then petition, like that former senator who regularly petitions various courts and organisations.

Prompong Nopparit, spokesman of the ruling Pheu Thai Party,

He threatened to petition the Election Committee next week, seeking to dissolve the opposition Democrat Party after its leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and deputy leader Suthep Thaugsuban urged Democrat MPs to join anti-government rallies.

The Democrats’ behaviour is a breach of Section 68 of the Constitution, he said.

It absolutely does NOT breach Section 68, Prompong.

Stick to defending Yingluck's failings and filing defamation lawsuits.

Leave the threats to Chalerm. He's better at it.

Edited by travelers

Have Pitak Siam changed there name in the hope that nobody will remember that they were going to disband after their dismal performance last time?

What you call a dismal performance was succumbing to wave after wave of tear gas and thousands of overly-aggressive police.

Global Post news photo link:

http://www.globalpost.com/photo/5726980/thailand-protests-20121124

Thai riot policemen clash with demonstrators during a protest in Bangkok on November 24, 2012. Thai police fired tear gas and detained dozens of people as tensions flared at an anti-government protest on November 24 in Bangkok.

What do you call a terrific performance? The red shirts' grenade launchers? The men in black firing assault weapons?

Probably because you have a misunderstanding of the word democracy.... Most "civilised" country are no longer democratic but tend to be oligarchy... ( GB; USA; France, germany.....) nevermind the land of smile.... Or you just check in your 5 stars hotel on Sukhumuvit?

I hope it'll fizzle out into nothing like the Pitak Siam protest did.

You sure have a weird take on history, in the Pitak Siam protest the leaders decided to call it off and send their people home when the police started to use violence against them, and yes I call teargas violence.

They did this in order that their people (including woman and children) did not get hurt.

Contrast that to the red leaders who had the opportunity to end the riots peacefully and go home.

Yet after first agreeing with the Dem Govts offer of early elections, which was what they had been demanding, they made a U turn (guess why) and made it necessary for the army to clear them out.

That Decision, U turn, call it what you like was what was responsible for all the deaths and injuries after that time.

Pitak Siam decision to call off their protest shows they have the welfare of their people at heart and the common sense to know when their people are in danger.

I'm afraid that's rather generous to Pitak Siam and not at all how these types operate. The reason they quit was because the army refused to step in and help them. Seh Ai spoke to Gen Daopong before hand and had his agreement that if there was violence, the army would stage a coup. It didn't work because A: Daopong wasn't in a place to make that decision. B: The tear gas didn't provide a violent enough pretext for the military to step in and be thought legitimate in doing so by the public, C: I can't think of any succesful coups in Thai history that haven't had the army chief's backing.

This is why people heard Seh Ai on the phone during the protest, frantically calling his allies in the army and demanding to know why they weren't stepping in to help him. Frustrated, he flounced after the protest and 'retired' as a protest leader. He wanted to get enough people to cause a ruckus, the attack on the police barricade where they responded with tear gas (probably heavy-handed yes, but they certainly weren't the aggressors) was an early attempt at doing that. Later on in the day, it started raining heavily and Seh Ai realized that the army weren't going to come to his aid on that day and he didn't have enough people at the protest site to make it worth staying, so he called it a day. Absolutely nothing to do with saving 'women and children'. That is simply fantasy, I'm afraid. In any case, there was no reason to believe the police would attack the agreed protest site. Remember, the only violence that day was when PS tried to break through a police barricade.

They want as many women and children there as possible. That's why PAD apparently paid women with children more than ordinary protesters and I wouldn't be surprised if the red shirts had done the same*. It'll be the same scenario this weekend, try to get as many people as possible in Bangkok, then provoke the police into heavyhanded action. Obviously if you can pictures of police attacking protesters when there are women and children involved, there's no better way to win public sympathy. But it can backfire if people think that the mob are putting children in harms way, either deliberately or simply through lack of responsibility - as we saw with the red shirt kid at the barricade.

Don't want to go back to the red shirt protests since that's OT and has been debated ad infinitum already and rarely does anyone change their opinion.

*Protesters receiving money doesn't mean there weren't genuinely strong sentiments on behalf of the protesters btw, just it's pretty clear there's been money involved with virtually every protest we've seen thus far. Likely exceptions would be some of the smaller red protests in Bangkok, involving urban reds, and the whitemasks (other than when the group from SL joined them, they were almost certainly receiving money to be there).

What I found most revealing was at precisely 9:30 am some pitak Siam protestors (numbering up to 500 but half the number they apparently expected) attacked police barricades attempting to remove them.

Normally during a street protest such as this protestors aren't minded first thing to attempt to storm police lines because there's usually a gradual buildup through the day. Tempers get frayed and so on.

It appeared orchestrated (first thing in the morning) and failed due to lack of numbers.

What followed as you point out was a desperate attempt for backup that wasn't on offer but here we see there all back at it again.

They have no support but this time, maybe I'm prejudiced, the dems may join in.

Flounce out of the chamber. Pinch the speakers chair or some other childish public school boy oafishness.

They have all the form.

After all they've publicly boycotted a general election before.

They have the courts but not the electorate.

We shall see.

Remember the rice corruption scandal?

It was all spin and bull.

• Like 2

Have Pitak Siam changed there name in the hope that nobody will remember that they were going to disband after their dismal performance last time?

What you call a dismal performance was succumbing to wave after wave of tear gas and thousands of overly-aggressive police.

Thai riot policemen clash with demonstrators during a protest in Bangkok on November 24, 2012. Thai police fired tear gas and detained dozens of people as tensions flared at an anti-government protest on November 24 in Bangkok.

What do you call a terrific performance? The red shirts' grenade launchers? The men in black firing assault weapons?

From The Nation today

"Pitak Siam's one-day protest failed miserably because of strong and well-organised police resistance."

From The Nation today

"Pitak Siam's one-day protest failed miserably because of strong and well-organised police resistance."

well they called it off because they were worried for the safety. There were men in black on the roofs. They told that these are snipers to shoot demonstrators.

There are photos from the men in black, but non of any rifle. So that might be just policemen to watch....but why wear black clothes?

From The Nation today

well they called it off because they were worried for the safety. There were men in black on the roofs. They told that these are snipers to shoot demonstrators.

There are photos from the men in black, but non of any rifle. So that might be just policemen to watch....but why wear black clothes?

Virtually all the police were wearing black, it is there standard riot gear, and of course they would have had observers on buildings to get a better view of what was going on - as per The Nation quote they were well organised.

Integrity?? PMSL 5555!! Brilliant.

New to town Tom? Welcome to Thailand...

From The Nation today

Virtually all the police were wearing black, it is there standard riot gear, and of course they would have had observers on buildings to get a better view of what was going on - as per The Nation quote they were well organised.

the observers on the buildings wear riot gear?

Looks like it's going to be an embarrassingly low turnout for this anti-government rally/protest/dinner party today.

I think the present government is terrible, but unfortunately very few Thais seem bothered, so very little will happen this week unless the big guns whip up the population into some sort of frenzy. At the moment it looks like vastly more people are interested in going about their normal Sunday business of shopping and sitting in traffic jams.

the observers on the buildings wear riot gear?

I don't know what they were wearing, indeed, I don't even know if they were there at all. Given that it is you have stated that there are photos of them maybe you could provide them but, if they did exisit and as I stated I would expect some observers to be posted, I hardly think they would be dressed in pink shirts though, being Thailand, I wouldn't be that surprised. The most obvious choice would be that they were wearing the same gear as the majority of the rest of the police though without stab jackets, helmets and the likes.

Looks like it's going to be an embarrassingly low turnout for this anti-government rally/protest/dinner party today.

I think the present government is terrible, but unfortunately very few Thais seem bothered, so very little will happen this week unless the big guns whip up the population into some sort of frenzy. At the moment it looks like vastly more people are interested in going about their normal Sunday business of shopping and sitting in traffic jams.

Turnout proved to be pathetic, about 1500 by most on hand reports.English language reported 4,000 language reported 4,000, an obvious exaggeration but it doesn't really matter.The proto fascist leaders ranted the government would be overturned in seven days.How disappointing for the usual suspects.

Opinion polls reported a big loss of support for the government (actually true as often happens mid-term) but buried the awkward finding that PTP was easily the most popular party and the Democrats as unpopular as ever.