Maestro card ATM limit

Since a couple of weeks my mother'a German Maestro Card gives her troubles at various Arms. She usually withdraws 20k whenever she needs more cash, to limit the impact of the baht 180 fee. Now it seem that 20k is not longer accepted. At first I thought it had to do with the machine running out of 1000 bills, but that was not the case. Are there any new restrictions, or is that something my mother's bank has "imposed" on her? Anybody any similar expiriences? Again, it only started a few weeks back, until then no problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unless the ATM is providing a notice that withdrawals are limited to X-baht (usually done on the first screen or two), then it's most likely a new limitation set by your mother's card-issuing bank. Some high usage ATMs will set lower withdrawal limits that applies to anybody and everybody using the ATM just to keep it from running dry too soon/too often. You can avoid that Bt180 fee by using an AEON ATM. I use AEON ATMs to pull up to 30K baht per transaction several times per month.

Unless the ATM is providing a notice that withdrawals are limited to X-baht (usually done on the first screen or two), then it's most likely a new limitation set by your mother's card-issuing bank. Some high usage ATMs will set lower withdrawal limits that applies to anybody and everybody using the ATM just to keep it from running dry too soon/too often. You can avoid that Bt180 fee by using an AEON ATM. I use AEON ATMs to pull up to 30K baht per transaction several times per month.

No longer True................ They have NEW reduced limits of 20000b

No longer True................ They have NEW reduced limits of 20000b

I'm not so sure of that. I say that because I have not seen a bunch of posts talking about any new AEON ATM limit of 20K baht....I've only seen two posts talking about a 20K limit, but they could be more recent ones out there in various forums. I've only see one 4 Jul post relating to a central Bangkok AEON ATM and one 20 Jul post relating to a Chiang Mai Airport Plaza AEON ATM where apparently the AEON ATMs are limited to 20K. To me these ATM locations sound like high use locations.

I would think AEON doing an across the board reduction to 20K on all its ATMs and considering the many farangs using AEON AEONs that we would have seen many more posts by now talking about such a reduction. I'm hoping/thinking the 20K limit just applies to some locations/ATMs, probably high usage AEON ATMs that were running out of cash too often and AEON just lowered the limit to help keep them form running out of cash too soon/too often. I understand a person could just slide their card into the machine a second time to get more cash to basically get around the limitation, but putting such a limit will be enough to stop some people from trying again the same day and help keep the ATM from running dry too soon.

I do know my last AEON ATM withdrawal on 8 Jul here in western Bangkok that I withdraw 30K baht; this withdrawal date was 4 days after the post about the AEON ATM in central Bangkok having a 20K limit. But things could change. I went to the AEON ATM in my nearby western Bangkok Lotus this morning to withdraw some money...I was going to withdraw 30K. However, one of Murphy's Laws occurred, the law of "When you go to use a "specific" ATM it will be inop." I'll probably go back tomorrow or Monday to use the AEON ATM.

I also wanted to run a test where someone said you can only pull in increments of 1,000 baht from an AEON ATM I know the initial express withdrawal screen just offers various amounts in 1000 baht increments, but going into the Other/Withdrawal section to punch in the specific amount you want I would think a person could get at least 500 baht increments also, but I can't remember ever trying it since I've always just requested 1000 baht increments up to 30K baht which pretty much max's out my U.S. debit card daily withdrawal limit. But since I couldn't use the AEON ATM today I just pulled some money from my Bkk Bk account from one of their ATMs. I first pulled 25K and then did another withdrawal for only 100 baht...that 100 baht note came out by itself no problem...I'm hoping an AEON ATM will at least give only 500 and I'll probably check to see if it will do just 100 also...at least it will satisfy my curiosity....and it won't cost me anything since AEON ATMs don't charge that Bt150/180 foreign card fee and my debit cards are no foreign transaction fee cards.

OK, the last time I used my friendly AEON ATM in western Bangkok was 8 July...and I pulled 30K at once in that transaction. Today when I used the AEON ATM I first tried a 30K entry like I've successfully done many times before....after entering the 30K and pressing continue the screen went completely grey for a few seconds and then it just spits out my debit card. Of course my brain gets concerned maybe my bank account has just been charged for a 30K withdrawal which didn't spit out any money, no receipt...it just spit out my debt card. Before I started this withdrawal I paid particular attention to watch for any screen notices regarding any limit per transaction--there were none.

Being brave (some would say stupid) I decided to try it again...I slide in the card, entered 30K and the exact same thing happened again. So, maybe I'm now up to 60K in charges to my bank account but no money given. Once again I looked closely for any limitation notices....there were none.

So, I try again (super brave am I) but this time enter 20K and the machine works normally and spits out 20K along with a receipt and my debit card...success. I really wanted 30K which takes me real close to my US debit card $1,000 daily limit so I try another withdrawal for 10K so not to exceed my card's daily limit and that money spits out fine also.

I then go home to check my bank account to see if 4 transactions totaling 90K had hit my bank account...praise the lord only two transaction had hit (the 20K and 10K transaction) for a total of 30K.

So, it does appear AEON ATM is reducing the max withdrawal per transaction to 20K....they must be doing it in phases/machine-by-machine versus being able to send one command to change all AEON ATMs at the same time, since I had got 30K on 8 July weeks after a couple other folks had reported they had been limited to 20K. Shortly after jumping back in the car I thought to myself I should have tried a 21K entry to confirm the limit is indeed 20K versus maybe some amount between 20K and 30K. I'll give that a try next time...AEON ATM grey screens and my debit card being abruptly spit back out no longer scare me.

And I sure wish they would have put a limitation notice...then of course the ones I have used have never mentioned anything about a max limitation...they just mention entries/withdrawals must be in 1,000 baht increments.. But the one I used today...which I have used many times over the last few years to pull 30K in one transaction now just scares you by doing the grey screen, spitting the card out back at you, and then just going back to the opening screen like when you first pulled up to the ATM.

• 2 months later...