Warning: Daytime Mosquitos are smaller, spotty and carry malaria

homeownership

My housekeeper and very trusted Thai Friend has been telling me of there being two types of mosquito around a the moment. I have been in Hua for months and was used to one of the , the one the size of houseflies. that cause nasty bites and are imnune to every type of repellant.

But here in Chiang Mai there is a much smaller one, whos bite does not hurt. It is spotty aparantly while the others gave stripes, it can bite in the daytime as well as night and carries malaria. People have been hosipitalised because of its deadly cargo. She caught one for me after crushing it today.

It looks like a fruitfly, but is actually a mosquito. Take from this what you will.

I got told the "zebra" mosquito are the dangerous one. The have black/white legs.

I am not sure if that is true or not.

I usually wear real shows, and long trouser that reduces the problem.

OP, I think your housekeeper may have got their malaria and dengue mixed up. The mosquito you are describing is the aedes aegypti mosquito, also know as the tiger mosquito, and is the carrier of dengue.

Only the females of course, but I wouldn't waste time sexing them up before blatting them.................thumbsup.gif

post-76988-0-61824900-1375502837_thumb.j

Edit: They are not that small either for mosquitos. As you have mentioned malaria, I have also added Japanese Encephalitis, probably more common in the northern provinces than malaria. Enjoy the BBQ's....................wink.png

Malaria

The mosquitoes that transmit malaria are found in remote areas, not any of the major cities. These mosquitoes generally bite around sunset and sunrise. Malaria transmitting mosquitoes are usually found near the Cambodian border (especially near the seaside) and the Burma border.

Symptoms of malaria include: sudden high fever and chills, muscle aches and headaches. They usually show up after an incubation time of 7 to 30 days.

To be properly diagnosed with malaria, you must undergo a blood smear examination, which all major hospitals and many clinics can (and of course should) administer. There are drug-resistant strains of malaria, and it's important to tell the doctor where you've been because the particular drug resistance varies by region.

Japanese Encephalitis

Japanese Encephalitis is a very serious disease spread by ticks and mosquitoes, and of concern in northern and central Thailand. It's rare in humans, but known. Though most travel guides don't even mention it (e.g., Lonely Planet), many people recommend that expats living in northern Thailand get the immunization shots for Japanese Encephalitis.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

I've been advised as a general rule of thumb: daytime mosquito bites cause Dengue (only the so called big 'Tiger' mozzies), and sunset/night time mosquito bites cause Malaria (the 'usual' annoying mozzies). However - always best to take precautions all the time, but especially this time of year.

Some really detailed posts here thanks. I am not a biologist but I am good a rading between the lines.

Male mosquitos are not particularly harmful but the female ones give you a nice disease. I drawn no inference between the human species of course.

More mosquito repellant and long shanks (swetty) or not at this time of year.

• Like 1