High depreciation on Captivas

pj123

We are considering changing our Pajero Sport as my wife is struggling with the heavy steering. She has her eyes on a CRV but Chevrolet are offering 0% finance on Captivas. However, when I check used prices on one2car, the depreciation is very high. Eg a diesel LTZ 2012 for 1,250,000. A new version is 1,700,000. Is this either a reason to buy used or a sign to avoid this car altogether?

We are considering changing our Pajero Sport as my wife is struggling with the heavy steering. She has her eyes on a CRV but Chevrolet are offering 0% finance on Captivas. However, when I check used prices on one2car, the depreciation is very high. Eg a diesel LTZ 2012 for 1,250,000. A new version is 1,700,000. Is this either a reason to buy used or a sign to avoid this car altogether?

Assuming that both are at the same release standard, that's a hell of a drop over 12 months.

First of all I would look at how the residual value of the Captiva compares to that similar marques?

Then I would balance that against the cost of a happy wife.

Jerry

The six 2012 LTZ diesels on one2car are 1.25, 1.35, 1.49, 1.35, 1.34 and 1.29 million. Average price 1.35 million. That is an average 20% depreciation over a year or so.

1.7 million for a Chevrolet is way too much but after one year it becomes a more attractive option.

Buying new I would go for the CRV even taking into account the Chevrolet 0% finance due to the low depreciation of the Honda.

If you've seen a 2012 2.0 LTZ for 1.25M I'd say someone selected "2.0" when instead they should have selected "2.4" when making their ad ;) A normal mileage, not crashed, not drowned, good condition 1yo 2.0 LTZ should be selling for around 1.35 - 1.4M...

But yes, used Captiva values have taken a hit - for a while through 2011 and 2012, the Captiva was the top seller in the new softroaders segment, but that all ended with the latest generation CR-V. Up until the CR-V regained the title (and in a big way), Captiva's had almost Honda-like resale values..

1.7 million for top model captiva? What a rip off.

Besides, have you seen captiva from behind? They are so ugly.

Why don't you do yourself a favor and buy a fortuner with very very low depreciation rate? Or if missus need something smaller, compact, perhaps new honda crv?

Normal PJS steering is not particularly heavy but it depends what you are accustomed to. Some cars like the Honda civic have lighter steering and most cars have faster steering which makes them easier to handle around town. The Captiva and CRV are certainly a lot more car like.

Tell your wife to suck it up and keep the car you have, the steering isn't so bad and you may well end up in a year with her moaning again about the new car you just bought.

Or, you may consider the new Subaru XV which I just bought, a worthy alternative to a CRV.

Tell your wife to suck it up and keep the car you have, the steering isn't so bad and you may well end up in a year with her moaning again about the new car you just bought.

Or, you may consider the new Subaru XV which I just bought, a worthy alternative to a CRV.

I think I should have explained why the steering is an issue. My wife has tendonitis in her right arm and the steering is making it worse.

i like the subaru alot. what is the cost?

The Subaru XV sure looks better than the CRV (both inside and outside). Only it is a pity that the cargo space is so small.

The Subaru XV sure looks better than the CRV (both inside and outside). Only it is a pity that the cargo space is so small.

Looks nice to me, but very small compared to a Pajero. So, will definitely not consider.

What a shame, i have deposited for Subrau XV 50,000 baht, but my gf changed her mind and bought Capitva instead.

Wanna sell deposit half of i have paid ! p.s. colour can be changed

We just get Stuffed Here.A Volve XC60. 2.4. 5 Pot,runs like silk @ around 32K GB Pounds. I give up.These Claker Diesels her including B.M.W,Tuna look alike like thing need scraping.Thais aint that bothered if it does 15 or 28Kpl,thats why the CRV is still popular.

• 4 months later...

Assuming that both are at the same release standard, that's a hell of a drop over 12 months.

First of all I would look at how the residual value of the Captiva compares to that similar marques?

Then I would balance that against the cost of a happy wife.

Jerry

Not sure where this 1.7M price came from...a brand new 2013 LTZ TDI 2WD in white can be had for 1.5. So depreciation doesn't look so bad unless the One2Car models are 4WD.

From memory, the Captiva is right at the end of its life with a replacement expected within the next 12 months if not the next 6, so it is an older model up against newer models of CRV and new other models coming in soon. So Depreciation tends to get a little worse towards the end.

The Subaru is 1.35m from memory, and sells and looks pretty good although it is a bit smaller than the C®Aptiva and CRV; the new Juke and Ecosport are smaller again and both sub 1m baht - any of those would have light steering no doubt.