Army notifies Bangkok of impending tank maneuver

webfact

Up until the king became ill, he made at least one visit per year to beautiful Hua Hin. As we know, HM has been on the mend and has been eager to return to an annual tradition that carries significant social tradition. His annual visit is considered a sign of good luck for the locals. The visit should be seen as good news and nothing more than that. I don't know if anyone has taken the time to visit the magnificent teak palace of Rama VI, but it is an impressive teak structure and a highlight of any visit. The presence of HM helps to preserve several culturally important structures.

In respect to the movement of the tanks, it happens every year. Tanks and their crews need to practice and it is quiet in the month of August. They will be transported on trailers and not drive through the streets. The treads of a tank wear out quickly when used on hard surfaces. Nor are they fuel efficient. Kings Guards are not the preferred units for coup d'état deployments. The Queen Guards units are used, and there has been a long tradition of those units being the key personnel when there is a coup.

There is absolutely no reason with which to mount a coup. Despite all the talk of protests, amnesty and government blunders, Thailand is still relatively stable, with a strong economy. People may be unhappy with some government policies, but there is no support for a coup even amongst the Democrats. They know the problems it would bring. The military justifies a coup on the basis of a threat to the monarchy and to date the PTP has been very careful on the issue.

Your post does set out credible reasons for the army's deciding to conduct maneuvers now, even though the timing couldn't be worse, and Yingluck has been sucking up to Prem However, people still remember Taksin's declared intention to be the first president of Thailand, so bit of a dichotomy there.

However, do agree with GeorgeO's post that there really shouldn't be any more coups, I mean, the last one worked out well didn't it rolleyes.gif and that this country's grown up a bit more since then, or they will be forced to.

Idle speculation but IMO the Yuthasak tape was a real game changer, as it carved in stone Thaksin's aspirations to be clearly seen by all. Remember on the tape He says that upon His return that He will be above and beyond politics by assuming control of the CPB. If alarm bells didn't start ringing then...

Apologies for capitalizing the word He but I am trying to get into the habit in case He is successful.

I hope that there will not be a coup, it will allow Him to perpetualise His legend of greatness and benevolence and allow Him to continue playing the victim card. PTP must crash and burn by their own greed and stupidity. The necessary lowering of the rice pledging price at some stage in the near future, and the difficulty to blame that on Abhisit will cause unrest such that PTP may be praying for a coup as an exit strategy to save some face.

you are right. Even if it needs a crash like 1997. It is still better. If the army makes a coup, the next government will have to save money. Than they can tell under PTP everything was better. There were a lot talks from Thaksin and his son that shouldn't leave any doubts what he intents. Btw. what is the meaning of CPB?

Crown Property bureau

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up until the king became ill, he made at least one visit per year to beautiful Hua Hin. As we know, HM has been on the mend and has been eager to return to an annual tradition that carries significant social tradition. His annual visit is considered a sign of good luck for the locals. The visit should be seen as good news and nothing more than that. I don't know if anyone has taken the time to visit the magnificent teak palace of Rama VI, but it is an impressive teak structure and a highlight of any visit. The presence of HM helps to preserve several culturally important structures.

In respect to the movement of the tanks, it happens every year. Tanks and their crews need to practice and it is quiet in the month of August. They will be transported on trailers and not drive through the streets. The treads of a tank wear out quickly when used on hard surfaces. Nor are they fuel efficient. Kings Guards are not the preferred units for coup d'état deployments. The Queen Guards units are used, and there has been a long tradition of those units being the key personnel when there is a coup.

There is absolutely no reason with which to mount a coup. Despite all the talk of protests, amnesty and government blunders, Thailand is still relatively stable, with a strong economy. People may be unhappy with some government policies, but there is no support for a coup even amongst the Democrats. They know the problems it would bring. The military justifies a coup on the basis of a threat to the monarchy and to date the PTP has been very careful on the issue.

Your post does set out credible reasons for the army's deciding to conduct maneuvers now, even though the timing couldn't be worse, and Yingluck has been sucking up to Prem However, people still remember Taksin's declared intention to be the first president of Thailand, so bit of a dichotomy there.

However, do agree with GeorgeO's post that there really shouldn't be any more coups, I mean, the last one worked out well didn't it rolleyes.gif and that this country's grown up a bit more since then, or they will be forced to.

Idle speculation but IMO the Yuthasak tape was a real game changer, as it carved in stone Thaksin's aspirations to be clearly seen by all. Remember on the tape He says that upon His return that He will be above and beyond politics by assuming control of the CPB. If alarm bells didn't start ringing then...

Apologies for capitalizing the word He but I am trying to get into the habit in case He is successful.

I hope that there will not be a coup, it will allow Him to perpetualise His legend of greatness and benevolence and allow Him to continue playing the victim card. PTP must crash and burn by their own greed and stupidity. The necessary lowering of the rice pledging price at some stage in the near future, and the difficulty to blame that on Abhisit will cause unrest such that PTP may be praying for a coup as an exit strategy to save some face.

you are right. Even if it needs a crash like 1997. It is still better. If the army makes a coup, the next government will have to save money. Than they can tell under PTP everything was better. There were a lot talks from Thaksin and his son that shouldn't leave any doubts what he intents. Btw. what is the meaning of CPB?

Problem is, if he gets amnesty, he will start meddling with the constitution more. I don't trust the amart either, and I don't want a coup, but I can easily see one coming.

Let's see.

Edited by Thai at Heart

BOO !!

What does your embassy advise re travel to Thailand ?

Actually I've got my student visa, sold my car and many other things, and got my ticket! So there's no going back now! I'm just afraid the airport gets closed by the red shirts or yellow shirts or army or whatever! Otherwise I don't care what the embassy advises! biggrin.png

you can't leave now.....At home it sounds amazing, very hero like when you tell you were in Thailand during the coup. A good story to tell.

It's not the coup that I'm afraid of. I have a flight TO Thailand on 21st. I'm worried that I can't come because the airport will get closed. Otherwise see you on 22 August and will not leave there! smile.png)

I wouldn't worry to much for the airport.....

Crown Property bureau

w00t.gif really he told that?

Problem is, if he gets amnesty, he will start meddling with the constitution more. I don't trust the smart either, and I don't want a coup, but I can easily see one coming.

Let's see.

Which will lead to some violence. Coup might be the better thing, but again only a short time solution. Than everything will start again.

Problem is, if he gets amnesty, he will start meddling with the constitution more. I don't trust the smart either, and I don't want a coup, but I can easily see one coming.

Let's see.

Which will lead to some violence. Coup might be the better thing, but again only a short time solution. Than everything will start again.

Exactly. Groundhog day all over. However, seeing what I see with construction, I have a feeling they have overdone it and we may be on the cusp of another currency problem.

The USA and GB are starting to move again, and if the baht drops fast, it will hurt a lot. Let's see. If ptp are in power when it happens they will be unelectable.

This time also there will be fighting against the army nationwide, if it happens. Tensions and stakes are very high at the moment.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Let's see.

Exactly. Groundhog day all over. However, seeing what I see with construction, I have a feeling they have overdone it and we may be on the cusp of another currency problem.

The USA and GB are starting to move again, and if the baht drops fast, it will hurt a lot. Let's see. If ptp are in power when it happens they will be unelectable.

This time also there will be fighting against the army nationwide, if it happens. Tensions and stakes are very high at the moment.

if the army kicks out PTP and than economical problems come, PTP will twist the story that way that the army, invisible hand, amart or whoever made Thailand bankrupt and only genius Thaksin can safe them.

And a fair share of people will believe it.

And the next election will be won by PTP. One Shinawatra will be premier. Some groups will demonstrate.....How old is Thaksin 65? So we can have that another 20-30 years.....

Relatively stable in comparison with where?

Syria!

Nigeria, Egypt, Iraq, Afghanistan, Myanmar...................should I continue?whistling.gif

• Like 1

Let's see.

if the army kicks out PTP and than economical problems come, PTP will twist the story that way that the army, invisible hand, amart or whoever made Thailand bankrupt and only genius Thaksin can safe them.

And a fair share of people will believe it.

And the next election will be won by PTP. One Shinawatra will be premier. Some groups will demonstrate.....How old is Thaksin 65? So we can have that another 20-30 years.....

Not if they all get convicted for corruption....

That would be their only hope. Sweep them all up once and for all, and excommunicate them all.

Indeed the timing and the location of these maneuvers is a tad sensitive to say the least. Associated events concerning where people are going to live and how the Stock Market is reacting certainly blend together to make an interesting recipe for a speculation cake.

Now let's consider the matter a little more carefully ,In the U.K tank maneuvers are normally held on Salisbury Plain as opposed to London or any other city or built up area, as an ex Andrew man our maneuvers were held on the high seas bot on and under the surface and with some input in the air from the Fleet Air Arm again well away from the civilian population ,I am sure the R.A.F were in much the same position.

However, perchance they ( the military ) are possibly positioning themselves in the middle (however unlikely that may be) to defuse the situation twixt the assorted factions.A show of force without any action would indeed be a calming salve to the current soreness that is afflicting Thailand's political scene.

The setting could be considered a ''non coup, coup'' with hopefully some stability returning to the political scene in Thailand.

Time will tell, the next week or so is going to determine what direction this country is going to take, indeed we can but hope that sanity and common sense wins the day..

Just a comment the expression ''a non coup, coup'' should be read as it is written and its meaning understood it's not a keyboard error or my Alzheimer kicking inlaugh.png

Edited by siampolee

Nothing commands the road quite like a tank. Except a double truck overfilled sugar transporter

I don't know about that Thai at Heart, a baht bus full of drunken Iranian tourists would trump your sugar truck any day...............cheesy.gif

Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, and Thai Tank shows. Great entertainment!

Thanks TAT for the awesome display just for the tourists! I heard they make even use live fire. What excitement!

Just like last time, will there be photograph opportunities?

Edited by tomyummer
  • Like 1

If the PTP is so confident they have the running of the country under control, and the support of the people (mandate ???) why are they so paranoid when it comes to the "C" word ?

Edited by mikemac

It was reported on facebook last week that APC;s were on the move towards BKK.

This must be bad timeing if nothing else.

Surely they must have known what was going on with politics and could have scheduled their movements for a better time.

Lets hope it is 'nothing else' this country doesn't need more blood on the streets.

Or this could have been a timely reminder to the Shinwatra cabal and police puppets

that they should not repeat the events of the last set of protests.

Because the army is on the move and CAN move quickly if necessary,

so don't push it.

It was reported on facebook last week that APC;s were on the move towards BKK.

This must be bad timeing if nothing else.

Surely they must have known what was going on with politics and could have scheduled their movements for a better time.

Lets hope it is 'nothing else' this country doesn't need more blood on the streets.

Or this could have been a timely reminder to the Shinwatra cabal and police puppets

that they should not repeat the events of the last set of protests.

Because the army is on the move and CAN move quickly if necessary,

so don't push it.

This time the anti Thaksin protest has to push hard

It's his amnesty bill, the bill by which he wins. It's winner take all this time.

• Like 1

As if the roads aren't already in poor condition. 30 ton tanks will do wonders on them!

Maybe they'll use the sidewalks. Won't know they were there. biggrin.png

Doubt the motorcycle mafia will allow the army use of the sidewalks.

Not going to happen
Apart from their condos how many posters on here have any business interests here?
MrsSlaters Parrot post # 136
The tourism industry is recovering. Record numbers on Samui. Things are picking up.
The military budget is up so what gives?
Not going to happen
Apart from their condos how many posters on here have any business interests here?
The tourism industry is recovering. Record numbers on Samui. Things are picking up.
The military budget is up so what gives?

The events over the years here at this moment in time bear a chilling resemblance to those of the early to mid 1990's. If lessons have been learned from history nothing will happen, sadly though the human race in general has a short memory span( much like a goldfish some three seconds or so) when it come to remembering past events and the ensuing carnage civil or otherwise that was the result of those events.Selective amnesia attacks are indeed dangerous to us all.

Many of us have much to lose emotionally and filial to which no price tag can or would ever be high enough to compensate for any loss of those items.,Physical property does not have those price tags, however they do have a price and that is also linked in some ways to daily family life.

Oh yes for many of us there is a lot to lose if anything happens we cannot just get an airplane ticket and depart with little or no baggage.

Edited by siampolee

I think geriatrickid's analayis is plausible and I seriously doubt the coup rumors. Khun Yingluck's administration seems to avoid confronting the Thai military, so why would they depose a relatively supportive administration? Another coup could ignite a civil war and no one wants that.

• Like 1

Another coup could ignite a civil war and no one wants that.

Perhaps if one looked towards Dubai there may well be one Thai resident there who earnestly desires civil strife here in Thailand, the price for total power is not too high for that person

I think geriatrickid's analayis is plausible and I seriously doubt the coup rumors. Khun Yingluck's administration seems to avoid confronting the Thai military, so why would they depose a relatively supportive administration? Another coup could ignite a civil war and no one wants that.

Are you sure that nobody wants a civil war? There are some groups here who look fondly on the days of the Khmer Rouge.