Multiple arson attacks likely the work of insurgents: Thai South

webfact

Multiple arson attacks likely the work of insurgents
The Nation

30211800-01_big.jpg
Fire-fighters attempt to extinguish a blaze at a rubber plant in Yala early yesterday, believed to be an arson attack by insurgents. Similar attacks took place around the same time in many locations of the deep South.

YALA: -- Several locations in Pattani, Yala and Songkhla were hit by multiple arson attacks, likely the work of insurgents, on Thursday night. The National Security Council (NSC) chief said the attacks appeared to be aimed at disrupting the ongoing peace dialogue between Thai authorities and leaders of the insurgents represented by the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN).

The attacks, which saw no civilian casualties, were carried out by "teenagers with a differing stance" who are active in all areas under insurgent influence, said NSC secretary-general Paradorn Patthanatabutr yesterday at a Government House press conference.

"There have been efforts to disrupt and derail the peace process, but Thai authorities will continue to push ahead, because those with differing opinions are not great in number, although they are highly capable operatives," he added.

He said the BRN was being asked to identify the young operatives who he believed were members of splinter groups with connections to the BRN. "They are young people who disagree with senior BRN members on holding a peace dialogue with Thai authorities," Paradorn said.

Private property, power and telegraph poles were the targets of the arson attacks, six of which were carried out in Yala, four in Pattani and three in two Yawi-speaking districts in Songkhla, according to reports from the Internal Security Operations Command's forward base in the deep South.

Local police with jurisdiction in the areas where the attacks occurred said they were compiling security camera footage as part of their investigations into each case.

Paradorn, who was questioned by reporters as to why the fires were set during the Ramadan truce promised by both sides, said it was no longer the middle of Ramadan, but nearing the end of it - a time that was supposed to be the most peaceful. He said the attacks should also be reported to the Malaysian authorities who are facilitating the peace dialogue between Thai authorities and the BRN.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-03

You can not deraill a system that simply only exists in the imagination of a few that would have us believe that they have a viable solution to this problem. Also, is it not about time that we also stopped refering to such acts as insurgency and fully accepted that a civil war exits in these southern provences and that there are terrorists commiting acts of terrorism on a daily basis.

I also fail to undrstand why the foreign media and the various foreign embassy's do not highligt this situation in true perspective,

• Like 2

You can not deraill a system that simply only exists in the imagination of a few that would have us believe that they have a viable solution to this problem. Also, is it not about time that we also stopped refering to such acts as insurgency and fully accepted that a civil war exits in these southern provences and that there are terrorists commiting acts of terrorism on a daily basis.

I also fail to undrstand why the foreign media and the various foreign embassy's do not highligt this situation in true perspective,

CNN and BBC all but stopped normal programming over the sad Boston Marathon bombing yet the south gets nothing more than an occasional mention and ironically around the same time there were multiple deaths caused by a bomb down south.

Is diplomacy at play here so as not to upset Thailand ? I'm sure secret diplomatic cables will be saying a lot but travel advisories are carefully worded. Tourists are more likely to be told about Phuket and Pattaya but I really can't comment about tourism in the south other than hearing how Malaysians like to cross the border to enjoy the pleasures that are not so readily available.

Will these arsonists be granted amnesty should the amnesty bill be passed through parliament?

No. This political amnesty only covers crimes of corruption for personal enrichment, and violence caused to aid that enrichment. In the south you will find that insurgents are fighting to achieve a change in governance that better suits their moral needs and allows them more autonomous control, which fits the old description of politics not the post PTP definition of it.

The US announced a global terror alert alert today from chatter they picked up. 21 embassies were closed. They expect possible waves of terror following Ramadan.

A religion of peace they say

Take your weekend to do some learning on religions before posting ignorant comment like that NKK

• Like 2

The US announced a global terror alert alert today from chatter they picked up. 21 embassies were closed. They expect possible waves of terror following Ramadan.

Take your weekend to do some learning on religions before posting ignorant comment like that NKK

I didn't say it first they do regularly and I'm not a fan of any religion. It was a statement of fact not an ignorant comment and if i can't repeat what people say about themselves there's some sadly wrong.

I didn't say it first they do regularly and I'm not a fan of any religion. It was a statement of fact not an ignorant comment and if i can't repeat what people say about themselves there's some sadly wrong.

If you were of my generation you would know that the problems between Chrisendom and and a minority of the Islamic people is caused by the malfesance and / or incompetance of the western allies during the last hundred years. The primary instigator of these incidents of failed western policy toward middle eastern lands is the USA with the UK following closely behind. We continue to underline our paranoia of the Islamic world by insureing that our 'kill Rate' in skirishes between us and them exceeds ten to one in our favour. If there is an 'evil empire' in the modern world it is ours, not Islam's.

• Like 1

Will these arsonists be granted amnesty should the amnesty bill be passed through parliament?

No. This political amnesty only covers crimes of corruption for personal enrichment, and violence caused to aid that enrichment. In the south you will find that insurgents are fighting to achieve a change in governance that better suits their moral needs and allows them more autonomous control, which fits the old description of politics not the post PTP definition of it.

The perpitrators of these acts of terrorism are quite simply Muslim terrorists and cowards.. with very little brains.. put a BIG reward on them and watch them fall...

• Like 1

The South needs to be wiped off the face of the earth. i get tired of hearing all the crap that happens there and yet the Government can't/won't control it or as for foreign help.

• Like 1

But but but Teacher.. they did it first. Really mate, going with that old excuse?