Seasonal flu vaccine in Thailand

Felt 35

Anyone who know if its possible to get a "updated" flu vaccine in Thailand which is based on the same guidelines as the seasonal flu vaccinations which usually are available around Oct - Nov in Western Europe and are supposed to protect us through the coming cold weather months.

Flu shots are indeed easily available in Thailand but not sure when the yearly change occurs - but believe it may be this month.

I think I have just had the flu, one week of misery now ended thank <deleted>!!

Flu shots are indeed easily available in Thailand but not sure when the yearly change occurs - but believe it may be this month.

That's great to hear. But lets say a Thai go to Europe for 6 months now, then it will as far as I know be a waist to get a shot here because as mentioned in the OP I have never experienced that the health authorities inform the public back home about available and new seasonal vaccination before mid October early November! Can it be that if you want protection against the flu here in the rainy season

you take the shot in January- April to protect against the flue in the rainy season May - October and that vaccine is based on the same guidelines as is given in the shots available Oct - Nov the fall before in Western Europe?

If you can obtain the 2113-2114 season here before you go it should be the same AFAIK as the 2112-2113 vaccine has expired and Thailand uses the Northern Hemisphere version which I believe is the same as used in Europe. As said I believe it becomes available a bit earlier here than in Europe or USA but is probably not available yet - normally there is some press coverage (last year a lot due bird flu being included). You could ask hospital if they have.

If anyone knows if there is a set time for availability would also like to know.

Dogpoo

And we all thought you were on your last legs as a result of incompetent, useless, no good Thai medical "care"!

Just an observationPosted Image

I indeed thought I was on my last legs, they got it right THIS time! lets hope should I need there help again they carry on getting it right!!

Dogpoo

In the West its called "man flu" a big fuss about very little !

I am sure the Thais have a more descriptive phrase for the "sick farang" /---I must remember to ask my wife !smile.png

We are all different when it comes to illness, you obviously being a big strong I can take anything and not complain type of person prefers to come on here and assume a persons illness is simply nothing!! Each to there own as they say, ask your wife and let us know the answer!! The answer is probably what she thinks about you but has never told you! Lol

Edited by dogpoo

Dogpoo

Notice the smiley /------- and please lighten up !

I was laughing after I posted, you surely can't expect to post a reply regarding my ability to withstand illness and not expect the same back, now can you!!

"..normally there is some press coverage.."

BANGKOK, May 27 - Thailand's Public Health Ministry is to provide free vaccines for flu prevention nationwide, starting today.

Vaccinations will be to bolster immunity among two groups of people, or about 3.5 million persons, at risk of flu infection.

Hospitals under the ministry countrywide as well as other public and private hospitals under the government's 30-baht health care scheme will join the programme.

Public Health Deputy Minister Cholanan Srikaew said this year the
ministry and National Health Security Office (NHSO) will jointly offer free vaccination from May 27-31 for medical personnel and officials responsible for disposing of poultry as well as for the public who are over 65 years old, women over four months pregnant, children aged from six months to 12 years old, and patients of all ages with certain chronic diseases.

The vaccines against three strains of influenza, which are Type A (H1N1 and H3N2), and Type B, will offer protection for about one year.

According to statistics, the providing of such vaccines has helped cut the number of infections and deaths from over 115,000 patients and 126 deaths in 2010 to about 61,000 patients and 4 deaths in 2012 respectively.

For this year so far, the Epidemiology Bureau reported that there were around 18,000 patients infected with influenza with no fatalities. (MCOT online news)

"..normally there is some press coverage.."

BANGKOK, May 27 - Thailand's Public Health Ministry is to provide free vaccines for flu prevention nationwide, starting today.

Vaccinations will be to bolster immunity among two groups of people, or about 3.5 million persons, at risk of flu infection.

Hospitals under the ministry countrywide as well as other public and private hospitals under the government's 30-baht health care scheme will join the programme.

Public Health Deputy Minister Cholanan Srikaew said this year the ministry and National Health Security Office (NHSO) will jointly offer free vaccination from May 27-31 for medical personnel and officials responsible for disposing of poultry as well as for the public who are over 65 years old, women over four months pregnant, children aged from six months to 12 years old, and patients of all ages with certain chronic diseases.

The vaccines against three strains of influenza, which are Type A (H1N1 and H3N2), and Type B, will offer protection for about one year.

According to statistics, the providing of such vaccines has helped cut the number of infections and deaths from over 115,000 patients and 126 deaths in 2010 to about 61,000 patients and 4 deaths in 2012 respectively.

For this year so far, the Epidemiology Bureau reported that there were around 18,000 patients infected with influenza with no fatalities. (MCOT online news)

I don't understand which version the above vaccine can be. My better half have a friend working as a pharmacist in a well known hospital and after I posted my question here yesterday she called her off duty and she said this coming seasonal flu vaccine not is available yet but expected in end August early September and that she will call to let us know!

I suspect that press release was using the remaining 2112-2113 vaccine free as about to expire. I am quite sure it was during August that it arrived last year. I believe had shot August 24th last year.

If you, or anyone can update on when hospitals actually have available am sure it will be helpful to many.