Versys Engine Blown

nikster

I was getting out of my moo baan on my 2011 Versys (purchased Nov. 2010), went on the 2nd ring road. Accelerated to pass a Vigo when there was a very bad noise and - according to a rider behind me - a small explosion.

I lost all power. Thinking that the chain might have broken, I rolled out on the side of the road. Very little drama, not much traffic, I came to a stop.

Checked the chain, which looked fine.

Then I saw this:

post-20814-0-98053100-1375545149_thumb.j

Hmmm...

post-20814-0-05152900-1375545167_thumb.j

Oh - hole in engine. That can't be good.

post-20814-0-24831900-1375545218_thumb.j

The cause... or part of it anyway. This thing apparently broke through the engine casing and ended up on the exhaust pipes. I am happy it didn't shoot into my leg or something.
post-20814-0-17576900-1375545247_thumb.j

Closeup

post-20814-0-31315500-1375545273_thumb.j

Called Kawaski, a Thai 10 minutes aka an hour later, Kawasaki came and picked up the wreck. Bike was 7 months out of warranty at this point.
I had done all the oil changes as per spec and at the dealer, and no modifications to the bike, 100% stock. Told the dealer I felt this wasn't really my fault. They made no promises. Apparently there is a procedure for this - evidence gets sent to Kawa HQ in Bangkok, then it's discussed at a meeting. That took over a week - however, they did the right thing and decided they'd fix all damage under warranty.
This was over a month ago, they tell me I should get her back end of the week.
I asked what went wrong and as far as I know the part is a piston casing (?) so the piston came crashing through there. Destroying quite a few parts along the way. I asked which parts had to be replaced, the mechanic's answer was "most of them".
  • Like 2

Yeah I sure am glad it was stock.

As for Thai made - that certainly came to mind. Not so much Thailand specifically but this was one of the first to roll off the Thai factory. It was not the first but one of the first to arrive in Chiang Mai. I think 2nd or 3rd, not sure. A new model bike made for the first time in this factory. The engine has some differences to the ER6. 33,000 km.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

Yeah I sure am glad it was stock.

As for Thai made - that certainly came to mind. Not so much Thailand specifically but this was one of the first to roll off the Thai factory. It was not the first but one of the first to arrive in Chiang Mai. I think 2nd or 3rd, not sure. A new model bike made for the first time in this factory. The engine has some differences to the ER6. 33,000 km.

Glad it got sorted for you and at least a good result from Kawasaki on what is not a common thing for this engine, I guess you were just unlucky.

Just got back from Chiang Mai dealers, helpful staff and a good set up, looks professional anyway.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Glad to hear it was all resolved.

Pretty amazing event & actually a good thing you were not flying along when it happened.

although the drive train did not seize in this event it easily could have.

Should that have happened at 100kph it might of been a thrill equal to the old days of seizing

a 2 stroke

Although with that type of 2 stroke piston seizure a clutch pull would stop your skidding.

In this case some part could have flown into the tranny & it could have been much worse.

You had some good Luck there I would say wink.png

I have to agree that CM Kawasaki is very consumer friendly.

I have always been treated very well there.

Also anything I buy they install for free.

The staff have always been friendly with me & polite.

Guess we will never know for sure what has happened in this engine. But imo it seems like a fatigue breakage of piston or con-rod. Are these things produced in the factory where the Versys is "made"? Guess we will not get an answer to this either. Shit can happen and will happen. As long as noone gets hurt thats OK and makes it more interesting smile.png

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Nick good thing that Kawasaki is standing behind their product. It gives one hope that someone in Thailand has scruples & it isn't just about a quick buck. More money from + word of mouth & a happy returning customer anytime!

Blimey.

Almost a blessing in disguise. Those headers look exceptionally rusty for 33k km. Glad to hear everything was okay and you got almost a new engine out of it.

I had my hedders sand blasted and the metal sprayed in aluminum (molten Stuff, not paint). The end up white and stay white what ever you do or spill on them. Highly recommended. thumbsup.gif

Technology and social media is also very helpful today in helping get things sorted, I'm sure.

Everyone can take photos of the problem and have them uploaded on hundreds of websites and blogs dedicated to the product within no time, along with the company response.

Except perhaps in Dimension Thailand where the defamation and libel laws are such that it doesn't matter if what you said is completely true, if there was any intent to do harm to the other party's reputation then you're guilty and liable.

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

Except perhaps in Dimension Thailand where the defamation and libel laws are such that it doesn't matter if what you said is completely true, if there was any intent to do harm to the other party's reputation then you're guilty and liable.

You know it is funny but recently when Kawasaki released the 300 suddenly.

On Face Book a large dealer that most know in Bangkok immediately started advertising

& saying you better hurry & get in the queue etc great bike etc.

Well one falang ( I think as he wrote in English ) went off in their comments section & said you know I asked you guys when you sold me

the 250 a couple months ago & you said no way no how would Thailand have a 300 & now look.

Well suddenly a bunch of others jumped into that thread. Both Thai's & falangs

One Thai's comments in Thai was funny as he said something to the effect of.....

Oh Wow even the falangs are mad now about this Good !!

Well all those comments did not last long as the next day they were all deleted.

I do not open my account on FB to post just read so do not know for sure as I have no comments on my home page

but my wife said she cannot delete comments on her's. So maybe as you say they complained & had them all removed?

All that remains now are the feel good comments smile.png I wonder if that guy that posted that he was upset got any grief over it?

Edited by mania

Blimey.

Almost a blessing in disguise. Those headers look exceptionally rusty for 33k km. Glad to hear everything was okay and you got almost a new engine out of it.

I had my hedders sand blasted and the metal sprayed in aluminum (molten Stuff, not paint). The end up white and stay white what ever you do or spill on them. Highly recommended.  Posted Image

Sounds good.

Where and how much?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Blimey.

I had my hedders sand blasted and the metal sprayed in aluminum (molten Stuff, not paint). The end up white and stay white what ever you do or spill on them. Highly recommended. thumbsup.gif

Sounds good.

Where and how much?

Oztraiiiiiiilya, cobber.

Blimey.

Sounds good.

Where and how much?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This was back home sad.png . Must add they stayed the same till l sold the ride, about 15 years. thumbsup.gif

post-41816-0-59710500-1375678387_thumb.j

This pic was after about 10 years, not good I know but you can just see the white on the hedder flange where it bolts to the head.

post-41816-0-27537900-1375678424_thumb.j

Edited by transam

I do not see it that positive. It was a terrible destroyed engine at 33,000km on a bike that is made for long rides. 33,000km on a three years old bike is nothing. If they had not repaired the bike for free their reputation would have got seriously damaged. People around the whole world are reading such threads and sharing such information. And the pictures in the first post are really impressive. Such pictures are much more dangerous for a company than a bike with an engine that is broken without visible marks on the outside. But the first post sounds like a quick and professional response from Kawasaki, so lets try to see it more positive:

+1 for Kawasaki

if this would have happened to eh.... lets say the new Benelli 600 ,many members here would have laughed and said I told you so.........But it didn't. it happened to a bike that has a reputation for being reliable.

So everything is not so black and white in bikeland.

Edited by pokerkid

if this would have happened to eh.... lets say the new Benelli 600 ,many members here would have laughed and said I told you so.........But it didn't. it happened to a bike that has a reputation for being reliable.

So everything is not so black and white in bikeland.

Its a fact that out of thousands of engines some are gonna blow. As far as benelli or other Chinese bikes good luck getting them to warranty it.

• Like 2