'Thaksin's return home is long overdue'

Lite Beer

I read that Thaksin was convicted by a court stacked with Thaksins enemies, during an illegal coup.

Is this correct?

No.

Are you sure?

I remember judges were secretly recorded and caught colluding to protect the Democrats.

Not the same judges?

• Like 2

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Chaps , I am a supporter of Thaksin . I would like to see his safe return to legitimately head a government , rather than doing it by proxy as now .

It is all very well to call hin a convicted criminal , because surperlative efforts were exercised to get rid of him at any price .

What do most of us know of the truth ? I have no doubt that there are dozens of people in high places whose " Overlooked " crimes could end in conviction .

In a country when any means fit the end in all stratas of society , it is only the highest profile that gets picked on , incriminated and convicted .

Well, you say you're a "supporter" of him. So you don't really care about the criminal convictions, etc., anyway. For you, the ends (getting him back home and in power again) justify the means (whatever it takes; whatever damage he's done and is doing to Thailand). The "Hey, everybody else does it" defense, and the short-term "hey, let's just be friends" thinking and tactics designed and intended to ENSURE it keeps happening. Yeah, 'the path to democracy and freedom alright. Yeah, let's just forget about the rule of law: it's SUCH an old fashioned concept (psssst, and not really convenient here...).

And the rule of law regarding a military ouster of a sitting PM?

I thought we were talking about the 2006 coup, when there was no sitting PM.

Then why bother, no pun intended, to put tanks in the streets to comandeer a country and government from the will of the people in free elections both before and since?

• Like 1

Sorry Chaps , I am a supporter of Thaksin . I would like to see his safe return to legitimately head a government , rather than doing it by proxy as now .

It is all very well to call hin a convicted criminal , because surperlative efforts were exercised to get rid of him at any price .

What do most of us know of the truth ? I have no doubt that there are dozens of people in high places whose " Overlooked " crimes could end in conviction .

In a country when any means fit the end in all stratas of society , it is only the highest profile that gets picked on , incriminated and convicted .

Possibly you are right, however thaksin is a criminal who had a lot of people making superlative efforts to ensure he wasn't convicted, including his lawyer who offered a substantial bribe to at least one judge to get him off. He now has a whole government doing its best to keep him from serving his sentence. Even if this wasn't true (it is though) his criminal culpability for the thousands murdered during his quota based war on drugs should be enough for him to be gaoled for the rest of his life. The man is slime.

I wish to remind you of something that you appear not to know !

Thaksin has never been 1) Charged, 2) Tried in a criminal court. 3) Found guilty of any crimes during the anti drug compain . If overzealous police did murders in the name of their jobs, then they are the ones to be charged.

No ! once again, you are the victim of malicious anti Thaksin propaganda, because you support the Dems, you believe only what you want to believe, and what they have put into your unthinking head.

• Like 2

So, you're a supporter of corruption then?

And you are ? ..........let me guess, no thats just too hard. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

He won't return home cos he is a coward and not manly enough to face up to the consequences i.e. likely to be shot

So you're basically saying that he's not 'manly' enough to come and get himself shot. Unbelievable...

• Like 2

Well, you say you're a "supporter" of him. So you don't really care about the criminal convictions, etc., anyway. For you, the ends (getting him back home and in power again) justify the means (whatever it takes; whatever damage he's done and is doing to Thailand). The "Hey, everybody else does it" defense, and the short-term "hey, let's just be friends" thinking and tactics designed and intended to ENSURE it keeps happening. Yeah, 'the path to democracy and freedom alright. Yeah, let's just forget about the rule of law: it's SUCH an old fashioned concept (psssst, and not really convenient here...).

OK ! so please name these criminal convictions. Name the courts, Name the verdicts, Name those in power at the time. And describe how they got this power. Lets hear it all, don't just be selective.

Thanking you for your time and knowledge.

Edited by oldsailor35

And the rule of law regarding a military ouster of a sitting PM?

Did you just fall of the turnip truck? When Dr. Thaksin was PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over his tax free sale of 49% of his telecom business to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. During the new elections, his TRT party broke the election law that states when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast). The Democrat Party boycotted the elections and TRT was running unopposed in many districts. It is difficult to get enough turnouts to get 40% of the electorate so the TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them and got caught and the election was nullified by the EC. Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and a caretaker PM was installed to facilitate new elections. After a couple of weeks, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber. Who else was going to enforce Constitutional rules that should be enforced by the Executive Branch of Government? In this case, The Executive Branch had been coopted by a pretender (Dr. Thaksin) who was not following the Constitution that he was supposed to obey. The Army is the Last Resort to prevent dictatorship and abuse at the highest levels. I repeat, Dr. Thaksin was not a legal PM when the Army moved in and in fact, when the Army held elections, they did not prevent the installation of a government by Dr. Thaksin's nominee, K. Somchai after he won. Now you can see why so many people can never trust an undemocratic figure as Dr. Thaksin has proved himself to be.

So the will of the people means nothing and some vague hidden hand knows better than the citizens and forces them to accept it against their will?

I read that Thaksin was convicted by a court stacked with Thaksins enemies, during an illegal coup.

Is this correct?

No.

Are you sure?

I remember judges were secretly recorded and caught colluding to protect the Democrats.

Not the same judges?

You mean not the same judges that let Dr. Thaksin run for PM in 2006 when he got caught hiding his assets with his maid and driver? One of the judges who voted to allow Dr. Thaksin to run said he was guilty by the 'people' wanted him. That judges' son got an all expenses paid scholarship in England three years later. No corruption there....\sarc

Possibly you are right, however thaksin is a criminal who had a lot of people making superlative efforts to ensure he wasn't convicted, including his lawyer who offered a substantial bribe to at least one judge to get him off. He now has a whole government doing its best to keep him from serving his sentence. Even if this wasn't true (it is though) his criminal culpability for the thousands murdered during his quota based war on drugs should be enough for him to be gaoled for the rest of his life. The man is slime.

I wish to remind you of something that you appear not to know !

Thaksin has never been 1) Charged, 2) Tried in a criminal court. 3) Found guilty of any crimes during the anti drug compain . If overzealous police did murders in the name of their jobs, then they are the ones to be charged.

No ! once again, you are the victim of malicious anti Thaksin propaganda, because you support the Dems, you believe only what you want to believe, and what they have put into your unthinking head.

I don't need anyone to tell me that thaksin was responsible for those murders. It was his policy and demands for quotas that led to the slaughter that followed. As for the dems views on these murders, enlighten me. Don't really know what they said about them or if they launched any investigations while they were in govt. I don't condem PT and thaksin because I think the dems are better, I condem them because of what they do.

Comparing Thaksin to most other Thai politicians. The charges against are purely politically motivated. He has done no more than most others have done. How about Khun Suthep who gave nine parcels of very high quality farming land to his hi so rich family mates. These parcels of land were government owned and earmarked for distribution to poorer farming families, then there is the case of enroachment onto government land by the Suthep family on Koh Samui, another project which was pushed "under the carpet"

If they are going to continue to pursue Thaksin because he signed off on a block of land which his wife bought through a perfectly legal action where she out bid at least for other companies who were bidding for the land. Then they have to pursue Khun Suthep.

Did K. Suthep make over $2 billion while in office? Dr. Thaksin did. Did K. Suthep use the treasury to loan Burma the money to buy his telecom services? Dr. Thaksin did. Did you just arrive in the Kingdom or are you willfully ignorant. You can go to the Northeast of Thailand today and talk to people who believe the million Baht Village Fund came from Dr. Thaksin's pockets. Just the known/prosecuted corruption at the new airport dwarfs anything K. Suthep has done. Dr. Thaksin introduced Weapons Grade corruption to the Kingdom while destroying the checks and balances that keep a government honest. Dr. Thaksin was well on his way to having the power the his friend Hun Sen enjoys today. If you want to help Dr, Thaksin, it is best you don't draw comparisons to his corruption as ALL others fall very short.

Were do you get your info? From The Nation? Sounds like it.

Now if Suthep was in the stock market during Thaksins term, then he did alright, just like Thaksin.

138% I recall.

You see, Thaksin was on the Forbes billionaire list before he became PM and did you know his returns mirrored the SET.

• Like 1

Would any of the TS supporters here like to give an explanation in their view as to what happened in 2006.

If you have any explanation as to why TS acted in the way he did, or any justification for his actions, I would like to read it.

"Do you think the Bt350-billion loan decree and Bt2-trillion loan bill violate the law?

The government is likely to proceed with the [anti-flood] project. If the government causes any fallout, it will not be allowed to return. Corruption allegations are not the reason that all of the water projects must be scrapped. Corruption cases can be proved in court."

And as we control/are able to intimidate the courts this will not happen.

So you think the Government controls the courts? Ironic, because that is what Thaksin claims about the charges laid against him, that they were politically motivated. So you and Thaksin do seem to have more in common than you probably care to admit.

• Like 1

Comparing Thaksin to most other Thai politicians. The charges against are purely politically motivated. He has done no more than most others have done. How about Khun Suthep who gave nine parcels of very high quality farming land to his hi so rich family mates. These parcels of land were government owned and earmarked for distribution to poorer farming families, then there is the case of enroachment onto government land by the Suthep family on Koh Samui, another project which was pushed "under the carpet"

If they are going to continue to pursue Thaksin because he signed off on a block of land which his wife bought through a perfectly legal action where she out bid at least for other companies who were bidding for the land. Then they have to pursue Khun Suthep.

Did K. Suthep make over $2 billion while in office? Dr. Thaksin did. Did K. Suthep use the treasury to loan Burma the money to buy his telecom services? Dr. Thaksin did. Did you just arrive in the Kingdom or are you willfully ignorant. You can go to the Northeast of Thailand today and talk to people who believe the million Baht Village Fund came from Dr. Thaksin's pockets. Just the known/prosecuted corruption at the new airport dwarfs anything K. Suthep has done. Dr. Thaksin introduced Weapons Grade corruption to the Kingdom while destroying the checks and balances that keep a government honest. Dr. Thaksin was well on his way to having the power the his friend Hun Sen enjoys today. If you want to help Dr, Thaksin, it is best you don't draw comparisons to his corruption as ALL others fall very short.

Very little dwarfs what Suthep has done in the way of corruption, take the Palm Oil industry for a start.

No i have not just arrived, but lived in the south ( Suthep territory) for some considerable time , thank you.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

So you are willing to overlook the illegal military overthrow of a government while getting riled up about a ruling on somebody's business activity?

Who is overlooking the coup (which was over a care-taker government)?

It's not just "somebody's business activity" that I'm getting riled up about. It's a PM's business activity.

Are you willing to overlook a PM who makes decisions on behalf of the country that help his own businesses?

• Like 1

Good or Bad will be written in history and future generations will know the actual facts

Depends, because history is written by the victors. Look at the quasi history and indoctrination being force-fed in schools around the world with American liberal academia leading the way.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

'Thaksin's return home is long overdue'

30211830-01_big.jpg

Somchai

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, who heads the ruling Pheu Thai Party's strategy committee, defends the government, the amnesty bill proposed by party MPs, and his wife, in an interview with Nation News Agency's Chanikarn Phumhiran and Samudcha Hoonsara.

Why is the Pheu Thai pushing for the amnesty bill now?

MPs had earlier voted to put Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema's bill at the top of the parliamentary agenda. The party wanted to deliberate the 2014 fiscal budget bill, but the committee vetting the bill has yet to finish it.

Will this bill spark conflicts inside and outside Parliament?

It depends if people respect the majority decision.

This bill aims to pardon people - both the red shirts and the yellow shirts - who joined the protests with honest intentions.

I believe people who oppose this bill do not have pity for those people.

How would you sum up the current situation, since the Democrats are responding in full force?

I personally believe political rallies this time will not escalate. I hope they do not spark any serious issues that impact the country.

The opposition has interpreted the word "leaders" in the bill as people such as ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, what do you think?

The committee vetting the bill will have to identify them. I cannot see how Thaksin can fall in this category. This bill has made it clear that the word 'leaders' does not include Thaksin. But this depends on how each individual interprets it.

If the amnesty bill and the Bt2-trillion loan bill are passed, do you think the government will serve a full term?

The government will stay a full term because Thais voted us in with 265 seats. If the government does not stay the full term, it will be because of a military coup and the military has reiterated that this will not happen.

Do you think the Bt350-billion loan decree and Bt2-trillion loan bill violate the law?

The government is likely to proceed with the [anti-flood] project. If the government causes any fallout, it will not be allowed to return. Corruption allegations are not the reason that all of the water projects must be scrapped. Corruption cases can be proved in court.

Are you worried that opponents will bring down the government by using legal tactics?

They are resorting to all legal tactics possible. It is tiring, but we must move forward because we have a social contract.

If we do nothing about incidents like the massive flooding in 2011, how can we survive until today? This is a must-do job. Bt350 billion may sound like a lot, but if we can help prevent loss of life, even one life is worth it.

Reports say that Chiang Mai MP Yaowapa Wongsawat [somchai's wife] has been accused of corruption in the rice-pledging scheme.

I must insist that Yaowapa has not gained anything. I guarantee this with my life. If Yaowapa took even one single baht, you can come and behead me.

I have a duty to keep politics as calm as possible and do anything that does not adversely affect the Yingluck government or Yingluck herself.

We have never thought of using her position to make money, we are more civilised than that. I am not rich, but I have never made money illegally. This is because of my background as a judge. My family would never do such things. The fact that Yaowapa is Yingluck's sister has caused people's imagination to run wild. This project has suffered losses, but losses and corruption are different issues. If corruption is suspected, there must be an investigation. We are close to former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, but that does not mean we have teamed up for the purposes of exploitation.

Will the government stumble if the National Anti-Corruption Commission finds the corruption allegations in the rice-pledging scheme are true?

The government and the PM issued this policy. Corruption has nothing to do with the PM. Arrest the people who are corrupt not the one who issues the policy.

Is it possible that independent agencies could a factor in the collapse of the government?

I hope not. I am confident that they are neutral. Even though no agency can check the independent agencies, people can.

Is it time for Thaksin to return home?

It is long overdue. Everyone wants justice. You can starve, bake in the sun, but you cannot withstand injustice. When Thaksin said he wanted to return home in style, it did not mean he would be dressed attractively when he stepped out of the plane. What he meant was that when he returned, he did not want to see people fighting one another.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-08-07

Yes bring all the criminals back to Thailand, what u not understand his conficetd already by the court of law for abuse of power in the land buying scam, this is not political motivated, sounds more like greed motivated

Is this correct?

No.

Are you sure?

Not the same judges?

As I already pointed out, Thaksin was convicted while his brother in law was PM and not during the coup.

Judges were secretly recorded by a guy who is now a PTP MP. The guy actually organised the meeting to try to set up the Democrats.

Is it possible that the fugitive ex PM, feels it is not safe to be living in Dubai. Could it be that he fears the Al Qaeda threats, and Dubai is a Muslim country, which follows the law of the Shariah. He knows that if he was back in Thailand that the police would protect him from anything. ph34r.pngph34r.png

So, you're a supporter of corruption then?

And you are ? ..........let me guess, no thats just too hard. cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gifclap2.gif

No, I'm not.

Is it possible that the fugitive ex PM, feels it is not safe to be living in Dubai. Could it be that he fears the Al Qaeda threats, and Dubai is a Muslim country, which follows the law of the Shariah. He knows that if he was back in Thailand that the police would protect him from anything. xph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.qnFdFQwiuO.webp alt=ph34r.png width=20 height=20> xph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.qnFdFQwiuO.webp alt=ph34r.png width=20 height=20>

He is unprotectable.

"They" will get him where ever hi is if he is in Thailand !