'Thaksin's return home is long overdue'

Lite Beer

I read that Thaksin was convicted by a court stacked with Thaksins enemies, during an illegal coup.

Is this correct?

No.

Are you sure?

I remember judges were secretly recorded and caught colluding to protect the Democrats.

Not the same judges?

As I already pointed out, Thaksin was convicted while his brother in law was PM and not during the coup.

Judges were secretly recorded by a guy who is now a PTP MP. The guy actually organised the meeting to try to set up the Democrats.

Oh well then, that lets them off the hook, just like criminals caught in an FBI sting should get let off the hook, right?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's disgraceful that a person in such a senior, responsible position can openly support the return of the fugitive criminal, whilst at the same time suggesting that he remains impartial in all of this.

Yes, his return is long overdue, but not in the way that Somchai is suggesting. He should be returned here in chains to begin his sentence for crimes already proven. Whilst serving that time, he can also appear before the courts to answer to the numerous other fraud/imbezzlement charges against him.

depends on the money....for that money I would support just anything....

I read that Thaksin was convicted by a court stacked with Thaksins enemies, during an illegal coup.

Is this correct?

No.

Are you sure?

I remember judges were secretly recorded and caught colluding to protect the Democrats.

Not the same judges?

You mean not the same judges that let Dr. Thaksin run for PM in 2006 when he got caught hiding his assets with his maid and driver? One of the judges who voted to allow Dr. Thaksin to run said he was guilty by the 'people' wanted him. That judges' son got an all expenses paid scholarship in England three years later. No corruption there....\sarc

Actually it was 2001.

Comparing Thaksin to most other Thai politicians. The charges against are purely politically motivated. He has done no more than most others have done. How about Khun Suthep who gave nine parcels of very high quality farming land to his hi so rich family mates. These parcels of land were government owned and earmarked for distribution to poorer farming families, then there is the case of enroachment onto government land by the Suthep family on Koh Samui, another project which was pushed "under the carpet"

If they are going to continue to pursue Thaksin because he signed off on a block of land which his wife bought through a perfectly legal action where she out bid at least for other companies who were bidding for the land. Then they have to pursue Khun Suthep.

Did K. Suthep make over $2 billion while in office? Dr. Thaksin did. Did K. Suthep use the treasury to loan Burma the money to buy his telecom services? Dr. Thaksin did. Did you just arrive in the Kingdom or are you willfully ignorant. You can go to the Northeast of Thailand today and talk to people who believe the million Baht Village Fund came from Dr. Thaksin's pockets. Just the known/prosecuted corruption at the new airport dwarfs anything K. Suthep has done. Dr. Thaksin introduced Weapons Grade corruption to the Kingdom while destroying the checks and balances that keep a government honest. Dr. Thaksin was well on his way to having the power the his friend Hun Sen enjoys today. If you want to help Dr, Thaksin, it is best you don't draw comparisons to his corruption as ALL others fall very short.

Were do you get your info? From The Nation? Sounds like it.

Now if Suthep was in the stock market during Thaksins term, then he did alright, just like Thaksin.

138% I recall.

You see, Thaksin was on the Forbes billionaire list before he became PM and did you know his returns mirrored the SET.

Bangkok Post, The Nation, AFP, South China Morning Post, Bangkok 2.com, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and others. Where do you get yours? Red Shirt Publications?

Dr. Thaksin could have made his money in the stock market had he invested ALL of it in just the right stocks and never bought bad but he didn't. Neither did K. Suthep. I mentioned in post #57 some examples. How did Dr. Thaksin have $1.7 billion in stock in offshore accounts to be brought back to Thailand and sold on the Thai Borse the day after his government changed the law from allowing only 25% of a Thai telecom to be sold to a foreign entity to 49%? How did he get away with lying to the government regulators and put another telecom satellite in orbit without permission? Why did his government make the loan the Burma so Burma could buy Dr. Thaksin's telecom services? Dr. Thaksin used his unprecedented power over the Thai government to more than double his personal wealth in five years. This is what is known to be facts. One can only guess at deals his family and cronies got as evidenced by the illegal land purchase by his then wife. Maybe you didn't read enough of what was going on when it was happening. It is an awful lot of corruption in mass proportions and is hard to get your head around after-the-fact.

• Like 1

Is this correct?

No - not even close. Try researching who was in government at the time, and the actual facts of the crime he was convicted of. Also read the comments from a judge in a previous "honest mistakes" trial who having voted "not guilty" later admitted he thought he was guilty but "gave him a chance because he was the PM".

Also, try researching the details of the more serious outstanding criminal charges he faces.

He is a convicted criminal who chose to break his word and run, thus becomoming a criminal fugitve, who faces more serious charges should he return. He chose to run, not appeal the conviction or defend the more serious charges. Have a think why?

You probably need to research a wider source base than reading the PTP Red re-write of history.

Is it possible that the fugitive ex PM, feels it is not safe to be living in Dubai. Could it be that he fears the Al Qaeda threats, and Dubai is a Muslim country, which follows the law of the Shariah. He knows that if he was back in Thailand that the police would protect him from anything. ph34r.pngph34r.png

Well, he has been spending a lot of time in Hong Kong lately, If you know anything about the RTP, you would know they are incapable of protection anyone.

Comparing Thaksin to most other Thai politicians. The charges against are purely politically motivated. He has done no more than most others have done. How about Khun Suthep who gave nine parcels of very high quality farming land to his hi so rich family mates. These parcels of land were government owned and earmarked for distribution to poorer farming families, then there is the case of enroachment onto government land by the Suthep family on Koh Samui, another project which was pushed "under the carpet"

If they are going to continue to pursue Thaksin because he signed off on a block of land which his wife bought through a perfectly legal action where she out bid at least for other companies who were bidding for the land. Then they have to pursue Khun Suthep.

"I'm professional criminal, if I don't make my job, other criminals will do it. This is why I have the right for absolution."

This is your logic.

Edited by lungmi
  • Like 1

I remember this guy.

The peacefully yellow shirts ambushed him and he had to scurry over a wall at Dusit Zoo to save himself from a lynching.

No?

Did anybody prosecute that mob or are the criminals walking free I wonder?

Yes, this guy was "in charge" when the international airport was commandeered and closed by the yellow shirts.

YEP! I remember that act of international terrorism. coffee1.gif

I'm not defending the actions of the group that closed the airport. In fact, my 88 year old father was prevented from returning to the US for needed medical treatments because of this action, so I suffered a personal loss because of it. It was wrong. At the same time, the use of the oh-so-fashionable word "terrorism" to describe the airport closure is so off target and simple-minded as to really irritate me. The closure may have been illegal and wrong, but it was NOT terrorism. Just exactly who was terrorized? Who felt in danger? Who was threatened by the closure? YEs, lots of people were illegally inconvenienced, but no one was terrorized and the closure was not an act of terrorism. Good grief, have you led such a sheltered life that you can't even see the difference? (I'm not even going into your calling it INTERNATIONAL terrorism - Whooooohoooohoo! Ghosties and scary names being bandied about here!) Try to stay real and not let the excitement of getting something posted push you to look so foolish. It will be better all around.

So, because you are a legend in your own mind he is to be concerned about looking foolish in your eyes whoever you are and ignore the fact that international news media continue to this day to report the airport being seized as terrorism?

Is it possible that the fugitive ex PM, feels it is not safe to be living in Dubai. Could it be that he fears the Al Qaeda threats, and Dubai is a Muslim country, which follows the law of the Shariah. He knows that if he was back in Thailand that the police would protect him from anything. ph34r.pngph34r.png

Well, he has been spending a lot of time in Hong Kong lately, If you know anything about the RTP, you would know they are incapable of protection anyone.

They protect Kuhn Baht pretty well.

Did K. Suthep make over $2 billion while in office? Dr. Thaksin did. Did K. Suthep use the treasury to loan Burma the money to buy his telecom services? Dr. Thaksin did. Did you just arrive in the Kingdom or are you willfully ignorant. You can go to the Northeast of Thailand today and talk to people who believe the million Baht Village Fund came from Dr. Thaksin's pockets. Just the known/prosecuted corruption at the new airport dwarfs anything K. Suthep has done. Dr. Thaksin introduced Weapons Grade corruption to the Kingdom while destroying the checks and balances that keep a government honest. Dr. Thaksin was well on his way to having the power the his friend Hun Sen enjoys today. If you want to help Dr, Thaksin, it is best you don't draw comparisons to his corruption as ALL others fall very short.

Were do you get your info? From The Nation? Sounds like it.

Now if Suthep was in the stock market during Thaksins term, then he did alright, just like Thaksin.

138% I recall.

You see, Thaksin was on the Forbes billionaire list before he became PM and did you know his returns mirrored the SET.

Bangkok Post, The Nation, AFP, South China Morning Post, Bangkok 2.com, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and others. Where do you get yours? Red Shirt Publications?

Dr. Thaksin could have made his money in the stock market had he invested ALL of it in just the right stocks and never bought bad but he didn't. Neither did K. Suthep. I mentioned in post #57 some examples. How did Dr. Thaksin have $1.7 billion in stock in offshore accounts to be brought back to Thailand and sold on the Thai Borse the day after his government changed the law from allowing only 25% of a Thai telecom to be sold to a foreign entity to 49%? How did he get away with lying to the government regulators and put another telecom satellite in orbit without permission? Why did his government make the loan the Burma so Burma could buy Dr. Thaksin's telecom services? Dr. Thaksin used his unprecedented power over the Thai government to more than double his personal wealth in five years. This is what is known to be facts. One can only guess at deals his family and cronies got as evidenced by the illegal land purchase by his then wife. Maybe you didn't read enough of what was going on when it was happening. It is an awful lot of corruption in mass proportions and is hard to get your head around after-the-fact.

Because you choose to be bothered by this, which is your rightful opinion, the will of the people of the country that elected him is to be ignored, or worse, overruled by force?

I would imagine that Thaksin would feel relatively safe in Dubai as the UAE rigorously and successfully suppresses Al Qaeda on its territory.

Thaksin will never be extradited to LOS so the only chance of him coming back is if he wants to .

He wont return unless he is guaranteed 100% safety and freedom to do what he wants.and thats unlikey to happen.

And he does not give a hoot in hell what the Thai people think.

• Like 1

"The judgement that TRT broke election law came post-coup. Your post is simply inaccurate."

Actually the coup was more than four months AFTER the judgment and he STILL hadn't held new elections. So, now you don't have to defend someone you consider a murderous thug.

Nope, the judgement that TRT broke election law came a year after (mid 2007 IIRC), although witnesses switched sides and there are still people who also claim that the Dems had paid parties not to stand. Though it's true judgement that the election was invalid came in April 2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2006 - not sure if you're aware of the controversy surrounding that. But anyway, the EC were jailed and new members had to be sitting before a new election could take place. The coup took place before the new EC were in place. Thaksin was ready to schedule an election ASAP obviously as he was sure he'd win it.

Edited by Emptyset

Many of us commenting on the alledged questionable behaviours and corruptions of the Redshirts and Royalists yet have no access to definitive evidence of immoral behavior of corruption of Thai politians.

Accordingly we are in no position to make judgemental statements about the supposed criminality of any Poliical leader or MP.

What we do percieve is that Thai on Thai often conspire in the pursuit of their victims with little or no justification or knowledge of the vitims competance or integrity.

Those of us that Defame or Slander officers and leaders of Thai Governments, civil institutions and businesses whilst being guests in their beautiful county and without a shred of evidence are trying to engage the Thai at their own game. We can never play by their rules and therefor can never truly understand their ways.

As Rudyard Kippling said; "Beware of the Asian Brown" or might have added; 'Take them on and you may well loose'

Is this correct?

Go to the top of the class sir........this is completely true. wai2.gif

True based on what? Your red written "version" of the facts as they would like to see them? It wasn't a Kangaroo court convicting a poor politician. It was a legal court of law which tried and convicted a criminal who had abused the power of his office to enrich his ex-wife. He also faces additional criminal charges should he return unless his sister's governemt which he undoubtedly controls manages to get an annesty and whitewash for him. He chose to run from justice rather and appeal the conviction and face the more serious outstanding charges. Why do you think that is?

Try to read all the facts rather than the fairy stories that support your view on reality.

• Like 1

YEP! I remember that act of international terrorism. coffee1.gif

I'm not defending the actions of the group that closed the airport. In fact, my 88 year old father was prevented from returning to the US for needed medical treatments because of this action, so I suffered a personal loss because of it. It was wrong. At the same time, the use of the oh-so-fashionable word "terrorism" to describe the airport closure is so off target and simple-minded as to really irritate me. The closure may have been illegal and wrong, but it was NOT terrorism. Just exactly who was terrorized? Who felt in danger? Who was threatened by the closure? YEs, lots of people were illegally inconvenienced, but no one was terrorized and the closure was not an act of terrorism. Good grief, have you led such a sheltered life that you can't even see the difference? (I'm not even going into your calling it INTERNATIONAL terrorism - Whooooohoooohoo! Ghosties and scary names being bandied about here!) Try to stay real and not let the excitement of getting something posted push you to look so foolish. It will be better all around.

So, because you are a legend in your own mind he is to be concerned about looking foolish in your eyes whoever you are and ignore the fact that international news media continue to this day to report the airport being seized as terrorism?

"legend in your own mind"? What on earth are you talking about? Golly, you make this assertion and then add "whoever you are" thus underscoring the point that you are talking out of, well, let's just say you don't know what you are talking about and are too -- how can I put this kindly? -- too inexperienced to even realize just how stupid that all sounds.

Sometimes it is better to keep silent and be thought foolish than to open one's mouth and prove it.

Perhaps you would care to answer the questions I posed? Who exactly was terrorized? Who felt in danger? And as a bonus, can you tell the difference between Shinola and anything else?

Geez, how tiring!

Edited by inquisitive

quote name="Toscano" post="6682010" timestamp="1375585359"]

Sorry Chaps , I am a supporter of Thaksin . I would like to see his safe return to legitimately head a government , rather than doing it by proxy as now .

It is all very well to call hin a convicted criminal , because surperlative efforts were exercised to get rid of him at any price .

What do most of us know of the truth ? I have no doubt that there are dozens of people in high places whose " Overlooked " crimes could end in conviction .

In a country when any means fit the end in all stratas of society , it is only the highest profile that gets picked on , incriminated and convicted .

[/quote

So, you're a supporter of corruption then?

And you are ? ..........let me guess, no thats just too hard. :cheesy: alt=cheesy.gif>:cheesy::cheesy: alt=cheesy.gif>:clap2: alt=clap2.gif>

No, I'm not.

Let me get this straight.

You are a supporter of Tacky but not a supporter of corruption ?

Are you familiar with the word hypocrite ?

Me? A supporter of Thaksin? Hardly.

Many of us commenting on the alledged questionable behaviours and corruptions of the Redshirts and Royalists yet have no access to definitive evidence of immoral behavior of corruption of Thai politians.

Accordingly we are in no position to make judgemental statements about the supposed criminality of any Poliical leader or MP.

What we do percieve is that Thai on Thai often conspire in the pursuit of their victims with little or no justification or knowledge of the vitims competance or integrity.

Those of us that Defame or Slander officers and leaders of Thai Governments, civil institutions and businesses whilst being guests in their beautiful county and without a shred of evidence are trying to engage the Thai at their own game. We can never play by their rules and therefor can never truly understand their ways.

As Rudyard Kippling said; "Beware of the Asian Brown" or might have added; 'Take them on and you may well loose'

That's a fair point. It's easy to allow your own political bias to affect your judgement and more readily accept media influences that supports your views, whether in your home country or as a guest in another.

I'm sure you're right in that you can never really fully understand the poitical machinations and subtleties of another country.

However, we do know that Dr. Thaksin has been convicted by a court of law and chose to flee from the sentence rather than fight an appeal. We also know he faces more serious charges should he return; and the explanations of some of his earlier activities were creative to say the least.

Is he as bad as or any worse than many other politicians - Mugabe, Hun Set, Belersconi, etc etc. Who really knows. Does Thailand have a monopoly on corruption and corrupt politicians - not by a long chalk. Look at how many countries have issues with governments or civil servants at the moment.

Lies and silly statments get exposed easier and communicted more quickly and widely now - and that's a global phenomenon.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

"The judgement that TRT broke election law came post-coup. Your post is simply inaccurate."

Actually the coup was more than four months AFTER the judgment and he STILL hadn't held new elections. So, now you don't have to defend someone you consider a murderous thug.

Nope, the judgement that TRT broke election law came a year after (mid 2007 IIRC), although witnesses switched sides and there are still people who also claim that the Dems had paid parties not to stand. Though it's true judgement that the election was invalid came in April 2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2006 - not sure if you're aware of the controversy surrounding that. But anyway, the EC were jailed and new members had to be sitting before a new election could take place. The coup took place before the new EC were in place. Thaksin was ready to schedule an election ASAP obviously as he was sure he'd win it.

So, you are disputing CNN's history? I noticed you didn't quote the timeline I posted.

How about you post some quotes and sources (not a whole Wikipedia article)?

I read your link to Wikipedia and nowhere does it dispute anything I have written. Your saying 'Nope' doesn't change one fact.

TRT got BANNED in mid 2007 for breaking the election law in 2006.

"The Thai Rak Thai Party (Thai: พรรคไทยรักไทย, lit. Thais Love Thais; TRT) was a Thai political party that was officially banned[1] on May 30, 2007, by the Constitutional Court of Thailand due to violations of electoral laws during the 2006 legislative elections. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Rak_Thai_Party

I guess by now you think there is a conspiracy against viewpoint on Dr. Thaksin by CNN, Wikipedia, and the rest of the non-Red Shirt media. Give it up; I followed it as it was happening. Go pedal your propaganda some place where I am not or, just wait a while and I will go to sleep and you can make up all the history you want.

• Like 1

So, you are disputing CNN's history? I noticed you didn't quote the timeline I posted.

How about you post some quotes and sources (not a whole Wikipedia article)?

I read your link to Wikipedia and nowhere does it dispute anything I have written. Your saying 'Nope' doesn't change one fact.

TRT got BANNED in mid 2007 for breaking the election law in 2006.

"The Thai Rak Thai Party (Thai: พรรคไทยรักไทย, lit. Thais Love Thais; TRT) was a Thai political party that was officially banned[1] on May 30, 2007, by the Constitutional Court of Thailand due to violations of electoral laws during the 2006 legislative elections. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Rak_Thai_Party

I guess by now you think there is a conspiracy against viewpoint on Dr. Thaksin by CNN, Wikipedia, and the rest of the non-Red Shirt media. Give it up; I followed it as it was happening. Go pedal your propaganda some place where I am not or, just wait a while and I will go to sleep and you can make up all the history you want.

Haha. Ridiculous. I was simply pointing out that although the election was ruled invalid in 2006, it wasn't because TRT had broken the rules. That judgement came after the coup (as we both agree in May 2007). The reason the election was ruled invalid in 2006 was because of improper placement of voting booths. Not because any actions TRT had taken. And because of the booth controversy, EC commisioners were jailed and it was impossible to call an election until the new EC were seated. That's all I'm saying. So it was impossible for Thaksin to hold an election before the new EC were seated, which they weren't before the coup took place. I'm simply disputing the idea that Thaksin was somehow hanging on as a dictator and refusing to call an election.

Actually, elections were due as soon as the new EC were in place and Thaksin had no worries about them, he knew he'd win comfortably so why would he hold back on calling them?

"have no access to definitive evidence of immoral behavior of corruption of Thai politians."

You are tooooo funny, indyuk.

Sure we do. Dr. Thaksin was convicted by the Thai Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions.

In May 2007, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Thaksin was free to return to Thailand, and he would personally guarantee Thaksin's safety. In January 2008 Thaksin's wife Potjaman was arrested on arrival in Bangkok but released on bail after appearing at the Supreme Court, with orders not to leave the country.[157] She was set to be tried for alleged violation of stock-trading and land sale laws.[158]

On 28 February 2008, Thaksin arrived in Bangkok after 17 months in exile. Thaksin again stated he would not re-enter politics and wished to focus on his football interests.[159][160] In March Thaksin pleaded not guilty before the Supreme Court in one of his two criminal corruption cases. He was ordered to report back on 11 April after the court granted a month long trip to England.[161]

In June the Supreme Court denied Thaksin's request to travel to China and Britain, since his corruption case was set for trial and was ordered to surrender his passport after arraignment.[162][163] In July the Court assumed jurisdiction over the fourth corruption charge against Thaksin concerning the soft loans to Burma. The court also agreed to hear allegations that Thaksin, his former cabinet, and three members of the current government, broke anti-gambling laws by setting up the new state lottery in 2003.

The Thailand Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions issued a second arrest warrant on 16 September 2008 against Thaksin over another of the four pending corruption cases and ordered suspension of the trial.[172][173] Several more arrest warrants were issued over subsequent no-shows at various corruption trials.

On 21 October 2008, the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions ruled that Thaksin, while prime minister, abused his power to help his wife buy public land at auction, and sentenced him to two years in jail.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Legal_charges

If he returns, there are dozens of cases of corrupt behavior waiting for him.

Here's a free tip, indyuk. You do Dr. Thaksin no favors by making claims that are easy to prove wrong and show Dr. Thaksin in a bad light. Maybe you should stick to statements like, "He was generous with his family and friends". You will get no argument from me on that.

• Like 2