condominiums-commitee-jutsitic person-sometimes the good guys win

mascarakatze

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear and I hope it all works out for you> Bureaucracy often takes the form of bribes, I just hope the new organisation doesnt stoop to that level and every thing is kept on the up and up.

As is Thailand, its not necessarly what you know but who you know that sometimes leads to mismanagement.

All the best

Not attempting to challenge you in any way, can you please share some details of why the manager (now removed) believed she had some

right to run it all her way. Just interested, maybe something to learn from this.

Not attempting to challenge you in any way, can you please share some details of why the manager (now removed) believed she had some

right to run it all her way. Just interested, maybe something to learn from this.

Not a serious question just curious. At one point we had a new manager in my old condo in Bangkok, she lasted perhaps 10 days

and was sacked. At the interview she was fairly pleasant and appeared to be professional, but instantly changed to be a storm trooper.

Instantly told several owners who came to the office with small requests that they had to make a request for appointment to see her 7 days in

advance, request to see her had to be submitted in writing for her to consider.

And she told her outside friends they could use our lobby for a storage area, instantly meaning that perhaps 70% of our pretty nice lobby area was taken up with cardboard boxes, many in disrepair and with lots of contents of the boxes (wholesale clothing business) just left all over the floor, and the outside people also tried to install two commercial sewing machines in our lobby. A group of owners stood their ground on this one and prevented the machines from being moved in, which invoked severe abuse from the new manager, she telling the owners that she made all decisions and they had to do as she instructed. And more.

She had been recommended by a friend of a committee member and the committee had therefore agreed there was no need to do any check

on her past experience, etc. This invoked discussing / starting a new procedure in terms of employment making it compulsory in all circumstances for other committee members to do a check.

In any event, mascarakatze, nice to hear your on the right path.

• Like 1

Very interesting story, and possibly something for others to learn from this.

I have always believed that the Manager acts on behalf of the Committee. So if the Manager make some "strange" moves the Committee can meet and draw up new regulations (or clarifications) that the Manager has to follow. If the Manager doesn't follow these new regulations the Manager can be fired (without compensation).

Why didn't your Committee step in earlier to correct the situation?

And how could the Manager sue for trespassing? I thought that the whole office was owned by the juristic person, which in turn is managed by the Committee, and not the private space of the Manager.

I have always believed that the Manager acts on behalf of the Committee. So if the Manager make some "strange" moves the Committee can meet and draw up new regulations (or clarifications) that the Manager has to follow. If the Manager doesn't follow these new regulations the Manager can be fired (without compensation).

And how could the Manager sue for trespassing? I thought that the whole office was owned by the juristic person, which in turn is managed by the Committee, and not the private space of the Manager.

Well she was gone within 10 days.

It took several days to be able to get enough committee members together to discuss the matter and most of the committee were quite concerned about the legal ramifications of dismissing her and pushed to get a legal opinion, again a few days. All done 10 days.

'Trespassing', not sure why you mention this word.

It took several days to be able to get enough committee members together to discuss the matter and most of the committee were quite concerned about the legal ramifications of dismissing her and pushed to get a legal opinion, again a few days. All done 10 days.

because SHE called the police they came down and took everybody to the station house. the committee was charged with tresspassing

In one of a series of new condos being built in Rachada by a local hotel the so called "common areas" turned out to be owned by the developer and are essentially hijacked to the detriment of everyone that bought units. Buyer beware

mascarakatze:

How many units are in your building? It sounds large.

That's great that you found [1] an outside condominium management company and [2] a legal team that you are happy with.

Its hard to find good operators and ones that can take charge so quickly. How did you find these?

The reason I mentioned "trespassing" was that OP wrote "The first month the juristic manager filed a police report charging committee with trespassing in the office (of the committee)".

I'm not sure you got the "10 days" correct. OP wrote that "For one year the building was hijacked".

In one of a series of new condos being built in Rachada by a local hotel the so called "common areas" turned out to be owned by the developer and are essentially hijacked to the detriment of everyone that bought units. Buyer beware

I doubt this is legally possible. If true, then the owner of the common areas could charge any amount he wants for letting the condo owners use this are for getting to and from their units. He could otherwise threaten with not giving access at all!

Not even in Thailand I believe such a setup is possible. I hope.

Our Condo committee had just increased the annual maintenance fee to 20% this year . They are taking the piss.

Well done to the OP.

The Committee can not change the maintenance fee on their own. It needs the AGM to do it.

• Like 2

Our Condo committee had just increased the annual maintenance fee to 20% this year . They are taking the piss.

Well done to the OP.

You find an increase of 20% excessive?

It depends of course on from where you are coming, but a friend of mine had his fee increased by 50% recently. This was agreed at a AGM and there was 100% support for this.

Well done to the OP.

The Committee can not change the maintenance fee on their own. It needs the AGM to do it.

Yeah you are right.. AGM was cancelled last month to poor turnout. Had to wait for another AGM to agree the increase. Looks likely will be agreed by the majority.

Well done to the OP.

Yeah you are right.. AGM was cancelled last month to poor turnout. Had to wait for another AGM to agree the increase. Looks likely will be agreed by the majority.

If you have a too low turnout at the ordinary AGM, then you should schedule the next AGM within 15 days, and the requirements for attendance is lower to form a quorum.

Well done to the OP.

Billy with all due respect you are typifying owners in criticizing your committee.

I hope your conclusion that they are "taking the piss" is based on more information that what you gave us, ie because fees went up 20% (I presume you mean that by "increased the maintenance fee to 20% this year").

The fact is that whilst i think some new condos are overfunded, a few condos, especially some older ones, are way underfunded and the mindset conditioned to low fees (if they were low) can be difficult to alter.

The fact of course is that there is a correct amount for fees which the committee must best estimate, and if that figure is not voted in you are hurting no-one but yourself as the building goes downhill.

There's an old saying:

"Don't spoil the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar".

Out of note rest what are your fees per sqm (and useful to kniw, how many units and what is the age of the building?)

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 2

To my knowledge there have been numerous abuses in condo management in Chiang Mai. Some of the JPs have been very corrupt.

Maybe an "Association of Chiang Mai condo committees" could help address the abuses?

I live in SkyBreeze condo and we have had a decade of exploitation, litigation and confusion before finally electing an honest and competent committee. But that committee must remain ever vigilant and, in my opinion, should keep lawyers on standby, because the exploiters and problem-causers do not give up.

Regarding the 20% increase mentioned by a previous poster, where is the problem? If the neglect by previous managers needs addressing, or if maintenance costs increase year-on-year, then the fees must be increased. The only problem would be if the condo is being run by crooks who are taking these fees + 20% for their own selfish benefit. In that case, my advice, just sue them.

• Like 1

Well done to the OP.

from what to what? there are some buildings paying 12 some 15 some 35 so 20% on a building paying 12 is 2.5 baht which is still a VERY low 14.5 baht

as others have pointed out a committee cannot raise anything only ask owners to vote for such a raise at the AGM

have you put yourself up for the committee? easy to say 'taking the piss' from the sidelines, maybe the expenditure of your condo exceeds the income from fees?

it may well be they are 'taking the piss' or it may well be they are trying to improve your building, balance the books and get stuff maintained?

as you say 'well done' to the OP but his story doesn't relate to your comments about raising common area fees it relates to truing out a crooked JP please give us more detail about why you are so against this raise in your building etc.

Well done to the OP.

Billy with all due respect you are typifying owners in criticizing your committee.

I hope your conclusion that they are "taking the piss" is based on more information that what you gave us, ie because fees went up 20% (I presume you mean that by "increased the maintenance fee to 20% this year").

The fact is that whilst i think some new condos are overfunded, a few condos, especially some older ones, are way underfunded and the mindset conditioned to low fees (if they were low) can be difficult to alter.

The fact of course is that there is a correct amount for fees which the committee must best estimate, and if that figure is not voted in you are hurting no-one but yourself as the building goes downhill.

There's an old saying:

"Don't spoil the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar".

Out of note rest what are your fees per sqm (and useful to kniw, how many units and what is the age of the building?)

I have to agree with what you said. Made me think again and you are correct 100%. Thanks.

• Like 1