Is Songkhla Lake safe for swimming?

phuketsub

I will be moving from Phuket to Songklha's Ranotde District soon (I hope). I am an avid swimmer who never gets a chance to swim in Phuket because of logistical problems (mostly traffic, childcare, etc). My eventual new home will be walking distance to Songkhla Lake, so I was just wondering if anyone has ever swum there and what it's like...

My preferences for swimming are: salt>fresh>chlorine.

I am not a big fan of Gulf Coast beaches from past experiences in Songkhla's Chana District (way too much debris in the water, jellyfish, etc), so I was wondering if Songkhla Lake might be worth a try...

I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum after I move. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by phuketsub

Are you speaking of the area around Ranot > some local signs might say Ranod ?....

You say, Songklha's Ranotde District I have not come across? (How's your spelling?tongue.png ) But I am a frequent visitor to Ranot area and Thali Noi lake which enters Songkhla lake.... it's a beautiful area! thumbsup.gif

One rarely if ever see's "Farangs" in the area, certainly not swimming, although you do see locals wadding in these lakes usually fishing or collecting lotus flowers etc. The beach area around Ranot, is all local fishermen.

With the amount of Buffalo raised in the area I think the poo poo in the lakes might be a little high! wink.png

The right side of the bridge is the Thali Noi Lake marsh area, (first image)

IMG_8582.JPG

This is the north end of Songklha lake, about 12 - 15 kms from Ranot! Night holding area for buffalo...

I am not sure that I would want to swim in any of the lake areas!

IMG_8537.JPG

Hope this helps! ..... hope the area you meant! wink.png

Hi phuketsub

I have been through Ranot quite a few times but have never looked at the opportunities of swimming on the lake. On the plus side some of the beaches along the coast are quite clean and no signs of rips either. At the intersection heading to Songkhla or NST, head south and it's a hit and miss affair with the beaches, some are clean and others are littered with the usual debris - bottles, florescent tubes and what not.

I took my dog swimming on one of the beaches, I just kept driving through little Muslim villages until I found a nice beach for swimming. No rips is what's most important to me as I once got dragged out on Samila beach Songkhla. As I'm not a strong swimmer, I only ever earned a 10 metre badge, it frightened the life out of me but I kept calm and went with the flow after seeing 999 (a British programme).

It's a nice quiet little town and I'm sure you'll find a good place to swim somewhere or other. My advice is to ask the locals once you arrive as some of the more hardy ones may take a swim in the lake.

Agree with schondie's comments... finding access to the beaches not that easy...although can be done!!! But some are messy!

I cannot find an image of them at moment!

For the lakes, this is the best way to get around! thumbsup.gif Many canals to take in too! Locals are your best guides once you get to know them!

I am hoping to head down that way again next week...

Thali%25252520Noi%25252520Jan%2525252020

Just to add Samila beach in Songkhla city is a long way from Ranot, so conditions a bit different at the southern end!

Edited by samuijimmy

It's more a brackish lagoon than a lake... pretty shallow and scraggly with an inordinate number of creoles and long tail boats, nearer Songkhla that is. You may have some joy beyond the bird sanctuary in Ranot, however, but might get some funny looks from the locals. Also find the tiny, stinging jellyfish in Songkhla annoying.

Thanks for all your input; the pic of the buffalo has quite put me off on the swimming. Maybe I should invest in a kayak instead, As for the spelling of Ranode, I understand there are numerous different version, but I prefer mine because I think it best reflects the actual Thai pronunciation...

Thanks for all your input; the pic of the buffalo has quite put me off on the swimming. Maybe I should invest in a kayak instead, As for the spelling of Ranode, I understand there are numerous different version, but I prefer mine because I think it best reflects the actual Thai pronunciation...

Yes think that would be a great idea with a kayak, thumbsup.gif I would not want to swim there!!!

You'll have tons of fun especially on Thali Noi lake, as long as you don't get lost in the lotus! Lots of beaten routes made by the friendly local fishermen!

If you can finger your way up to Ban Khaw, village via the canal, that's a beautiful trip...thumbsup.gif with the birds especially in January when the migrating birds are around... Songkhla lake is more open and that usually does not make it as interestingwink.png .... You will need to watch for the wake from the longtail boats or you might be swimming!! tongue.png

Here is the section where Thali Noi enters Songkhla lake... under the bridge... I cannot remember which way I was facing! rolleyes.gif

Thali%2520Noi%2520May%252010%252C%252020

One of the many beaten water ways through Thali Noi! Lotus and lily flowers usually at there best in April (not so good this year, I am not sure why) ..... flowers open in morning, so that is the best time to see!

Thali%2520Noi%2520May%252010%252C%252020

Weather have put off my impending trip sad.png

As for the pronunciation it seems to depend on which Thai you speak too... to me it sounds like Ranooort! from most of them! But we get use to that here!

Have fun!

Just for other peoples edification, reading this.... the Conservation Centre at Thali Noi Village (end of the road) has places to stay.... price you pay, is "up to you"

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I finally got a chance to inspect the east side of Songkhla Lake from Ranode to Krasaesin (the dirt road is heaven for mountain biking, but the way)...The water in all locations is very silty (see pic) and not attractive at all for swimming. So the sea beaches of Ranode win hands down...the water is very nice, sandy bottom, calm water, no sea lice or jellyfish encountered so far.

Samuijimmy, thanks for the pic of the bridge as I was wondering what it looked like...surprised if it is such a choke point they haven't considered damming it up...

post-40708-0-03053800-1400297522_thumb.j

Edited by phuketsub

I finally got a chance to inspect the east side of Songkhla Lake from Ranode to Krasaesin (the dirt road is heaven for mountain biking, but the way)...The water in all locations is very silty (see pic) and not attractive at all for swimming. So the sea beaches of Ranode win hands down...the water is very nice, sandy bottom, calm water, no sea lice or jellyfish encountered so far.

Samuijimmy, thanks for the pic of the bridge as I was wondering what it looked like...surprised if it is such a choke point they haven't considered damming it up...

Wow !!!! what took you so long ? whistling.giffacepalm.giftongue.png ...

There are lots of roads to head out on, out of Ranot of Ranod, ( I am sticking to the way the signs say down there wink.png )

A bike ride out to Thali Noi Village would be doable over the long bridge, also if you have a tough bike, some of the "dirt roads" are very enjoyably, so long as they are dry.....thumbsup.gif

Although it can be a bit dusty! ..... and watch out for farm vehicles! wink.png

Thali%25252520Noi%25252520Jan%2525252020

This place is good to visit, at the end of the village of Thali Noi.... you can even stay there.... I am not sure if the view tower is completed yet....

IMG_8945.JPG

As for the clearing, often you see them clearing the canal areas.... The whole canal system is quite complex.... feeding the rice paddies and more now Palm oil plantings

IMG_9445.JPG

I love the Long tail boat trips, especially to Ban Khaw village...(about 16 km) .... such diverse scenery.... thumbsup.gif

but you have to ask the local guys with boats along the canal in the village of Ban Khaw off the main road! The tour boats from Thali Noi, don't do the canal bit....

IMG_8769.JPG

Pleased to hear you are enjoying it...thumbsup.gifI've not had a chance to get down there this year yet! sad.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Funny you mention the spelling of 'Ranot'; I've already come across numerous different spellings on gov't signs, one of which is Ra Not ...I think Ranode gives the non-Thai speaking (or reading) foreigner the best chance at being understood...

• Like 1

My inlaws are Ranotians and we visit (from Hat Yai) now and then (supposed to be monthly. I HATE the minivan trip though because the drivers are always suicidal maniacs.

Heading north on the main road, I think almost any biggish looking road on the left will take you to another road that runs parallel to the beach and is at times right beside it. Indeed it is calm, cleanish water. Avoid the areas the locals go, though as the broken glass is atrocious.

I went for a swim and looking north into the haze was NOBODY, looking south as far as I could see into the haze was NOBODY. Mind you it was mid-week, mid-school term, and mid-day, so I don't know what it would be like at other times.

My inlaws are Ranotians and we visit (from Hat Yai) now and then (supposed to be monthly. I HATE the minivan trip though because the drivers are always suicidal maniacs.

Heading north on the main road, I think almost any biggish looking road on the left will take you to another road that runs parallel to the beach and is at times right beside it. Indeed it is calm, cleanish water. Avoid the areas the locals go, though as the broken glass is atrocious.

I went for a swim and looking north into the haze was NOBODY, looking south as far as I could see into the haze was NOBODY. Mind you it was mid-week, mid-school term, and mid-day, so I don't know what it would be like at other times.

Why not take the public bus? .... trundles along quite nicely .thumbsup.gif ... not at break neck speed! I have taken from Ranot, to Nakon Si Tamerat several times.... I am sure it would be the same from HY.... not much more than 100k's.

As for beaches, I have seen on various days of week,and different times of the year, in a few areas, never more than a few fishermen around.... Even in Songkhla city, I have never seen it very busy... but yes, the trash is a bit of a problem in some areas sad.png

Why not take the public bus? .... trundles along quite nicely .thumbsup.gif ... not at break neck speed! I have taken from Ranot, to Nakon Si Tamerat several times.... I am sure it would be the same from HY.... not much more than 100k's.

As for beaches, I have seen on various days of week,and different times of the year, in a few areas, never more than a few fishermen around.... Even in Songkhla city, I have never seen it very busy... but yes, the trash is a bit of a problem in some areas sad.png

Thanks for that, I will look into it. I'm no scaredy cat, but by golly those van drivers are crazy. If the bus just cruises, I'll take that every time. There must have been deaths involving the vans on the Hadyai-Ranot route, surely? If not yet, there will be.

Thanks for that, I will look into it. I'm no scaredy cat, but by golly those van drivers are crazy. If the bus just cruises, I'll take that every time. There must have been deaths involving the vans on the Hadyai-Ranot route, surely? If not yet, there will be.

Could be an accident on any road in the world....any where any place....

I don't buy in to this Thailand has worlds worse roads or drivers... I actually think any of the main roads I have traveled here are not that bad.... I now use my motorbike, for most trips .... It's called driving with "due care and attention" .... not to say that is 100 guarantee for total safety.

Most roads have hardly any traffic except perhaps some of the towns or perhaps at rush hour closer to larger centres.... NST is the heaviest traffic going south for me.... Hat Yai one by-passes to the border.... so it good driving except perhaps the bridge between Songkhla city and H Y... if the wind is up! ... but nothing compared to the Penang bridge.... wink.pngw00t.giftongue.png

Could be an accident on any road in the world....any where any place....

I don't buy in to this Thailand has worlds worse roads or drivers... I actually think any of the main roads I have traveled here are not that bad.... I now use my motorbike, for most trips .... It's called driving with "due care and attention" .... not to say that is 100 guarantee for total safety.

Most roads have hardly any traffic except perhaps some of the towns or perhaps at rush hour closer to larger centres.... NST is the heaviest traffic going south for me.... Hat Yai one by-passes to the border.... so it good driving except perhaps the bridge between Songkhla city and H Y... if the wind is up! ... but nothing compared to the Penang bridge.... wink.pngw00t.giftongue.png

Nah mate, I'm not Thai-bashing at all....the last driver I took was red-lining it all the way. Even when there was a red light and queue ahead he would red-line it till the last possible moment before breaking, then just sit in the queue. He could easily have just cruised to the queue, but no, full throttle whenever he could. At the time I was thinking, "This CAN'T be his own van as nobody but a reckless teenager with a cheapy would abuse his own vehicle this way". Corners were taken at the very limit of sliding out. Every corner.

I'm not a slow driver myself, but this guy was maniacal, and I say maniacal very specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been swimming off the coast in Ranode every day for the last two weeks; no complaints about the water, but the volume of trash/garbage on the beaches is simply astounding. I used to swim in Chana (Songkla) every day about 10 years ago and it was pretty bad, but nothing compared to this.

I understand some of it, like the washed up squid fishing equipment, but the sheer number of flip-flops and other footwear is simply mindblowing.

Is there some sort of local tradition that involves throwing every article of used footwear into the sea? I don't know what else could account for it.

I actually counted seven of them in one square meter a the high tide mark.

The other striking thing is the reaction I get from the locals when I tell them I am going swimming in the sea.

They think I am nuts, even the ones whose homes are right on the beach and are, presumably, all living Imelda Marcos' dream...

Anyway, the water is murky, but still fine for swimming as long as they aren't draining a prawn farm.

I still have yet to see another swimmer...

Well, I have been swimming off the coast in Ranode every day for the last two weeks; no complaints about the water, but the volume of trash/garbage on the beaches is simply astounding. I used to swim in Chana (Songkla) every day about 10 years ago and it was pretty bad, but nothing compared to this.

I understand some of it, like the washed up squid fishing equipment, but the sheer number of flip-flops and other footwear is simply mindblowing.

Is there some sort of local tradition that involves throwing every article of used footwear into the sea? I don't know what else could account for it.

I actually counted seven of them in one square meter a the high tide mark.

The other striking thing is the reaction I get from the locals when I tell them I am going swimming in the sea.

They think I am nuts, even the ones whose homes are right on the beach and are, presumably, all living Imelda Marcos' dream...

Anyway, the water is murky, but still fine for swimming as long as they aren't draining a prawn farm.

I still have yet to see another swimmer...

Yeah, none of my Thai friends down in the area go swimming, they are not encouraged to learn to swim either..... quite different on Samui where you do see Thai's swimming...

I once saw a dead pig all bloated so had obviously drowned, just laying on the beach...bah.gif ... I'm sure too the duck farm near the river to the south, adds a bit of ..... shall we say fertilizer! (assuming you are going in east of the traffic lights.)

The only time you see the locals in the water there, is when they are net fishing or getting to the fishing boats.... so in about waste deep ! wink.png

Well I am sure seeing you swimming, it gives the locals something to chatter about! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Our house backs onto the U-Tapao River in Hat Yai and the amount of rubbish the local people dump into the river is a disgrace.

All that heads down to Lake Songkhla and then out to sea.

Is there some sort of local tradition that involves throwing every article of used footwear into the sea? I don't know what else could account for it

I think it's purely because footwear (especially flip flops) float very easily - loads of crap gets dumped in the sea, you're just seeing the bits that didn't sink / disintegrate that happen to have been aggregated and dumped in the same location by the current.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Is there some sort of local tradition that involves throwing every article of used footwear into the sea? I don't know what else could account for it

I think it's purely because footwear (especially flip flops) float very easily - loads of crap gets dumped in the sea, you're just seeing the bits that didn't sink / disintegrate that happen to have been aggregated and dumped in the same location by the current.

I understand the physics behind it, and some days if you swim at Samila you can see the current line just filled with every form of floating crap imaginable . I have heard there is a great aggregation of plastic debris the size of Australia floating around in the center of the Pacific, maybe it is starting to encroach on us...