Whiskey experts

eezergood

Wide open question, what do you wish to know? You are obviously not talking about Scotch whiskey as that is spelled "whisky" and it is ONLY Scotch that is (legally) allowed to use that spelling.

Try to be a bit more specific and I might be able to help. I have many years experience as a publican and have a reasonable knowledge of Scotch whisky.

Try me.

Cheers or maybe Slange Var!

Wide open question, what do you wish to know? You are obviously not talking about Scotch whiskey as that is spelled "whisky" and it is ONLY Scotch that is (legally) allowed to use that spelling.

Try to be a bit more specific and I might be able to help. I have many years experience as a publican and have a reasonable knowledge of Scotch whisky.

Try me.

I think you're wrong about the spelling, Canadian Whisky, and Japanese Whisky are also spelt that way.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He is correct, technically but this isnt a topic about semantics - rather about Whiskey & Whisky.

I need good indepth knowledge, similar to a sommelier, regarding the whiskey(s) whiskys available in Thailand. Without being pedantic, regarless of the spelling, I am referring to all manner from any country.

To Issangeorge, of course many distillers spell the product using the Scottish spelling, however, the origin of whisk(e)y comes from the Gaelic when the Irish used a slightly different translation from Scottish, and so the legend was born, so to speak, whatever, it is not that important. Eezergood, wow, that is still a big question. Firstly, I have no real knowledge of Bourbons, Rye's and mashes, so I will exclude myself straight away. All I would say is that there seems to be a thriving whisk(e)y trade in Thailand, however, getting the decent stuff is quite difficult.

Many of the blends here are only about 2 years old and have not had time to develop a "character". In the UK, respectable blends, Famous Grouse (UK's best seller), J&B etc are required to be at least 7 years old. Probably the best known blend maker is Johnnie Walker who have developed quite a number of products, rather like the Macallan (who are well respected for their range). In Thailand, JW Black seems to be the accepted norm, however, the Thais water it down so far, the local cat could have delivered it and they would know no difference.\

If JW is your bag and you are on a budget, then I prefer the Red, it is more of a Highland whisky, slightly sweeter without the smokey aftertaste you might get with JW Black. The Black label is far more reminiscent of West coast (Scotland) whisky who leave the grain to smoke much longer than their Highland counterparts. Of course this is all up to the individual taste.

Single Malt's are recognized as being the preferred drink of the connoisseur, but they also range widely, try a Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie (probably the best known of the single malts), then sample say Scapa or Laphroig and the peaty acidity is immediate obvious.

So, where does that leave us, a good blend is as good or better than a mediocre single malt. For sure you will pay premium prices for the single malt whilst blends are far more affordable. Taste is the only real test, whatever you drink, however you spell it, if you like it then it's right for you. But to get the full flavour of the drink, over ice or with water will do it, if you want lemonade, ginger or whatever, then don't waste the good stuff, buy something cheap.

I have visited Glenfiddich many times during my stay in Scotland (it was the closest, not necessarily the best), it was sacrilege to see the Japanese filling their freebie tot's with orange or whatever then leaving it hardly touched, grown men left in tears!

Cheers

It's not without some irony that the best selling liquor (spirit) in Scotland is actually vodka, and not whisky. That said, vodka appeals to both the male and female drinker, whilst whisky is almost exclusively a male drink.

Blended whisky forms the majority of tastes, with 'Famous Grouse' vying for poll position for popularity with 'Bells'. There are of course many other blends that have a good following, such as 'Haig', 'White Horse' etc etc. Interestingly in Scotland at least, Johnnie Walker doesn't figure amongst the most popular blends.

Malt whisky, of which probably the most famous area is the north east of Scotland, around the River Spey. Speyside itself is quite a barren moor like area, with the river tumbling down from the higher areas. It's an area of high rainfaill, and the land is essentially peat bog. There lies the 'taste' of the water used to distill the whisky.

Many famous distilleries of that area, such as Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie etc etc. Probably the most favoured, at least locally, is 'The Macallan'. Age ranges from 8 to (I think) 50 years old, and speaking as somebody who's a brandy drinker, true quality.

The flavour of whisky is always associated with the location. The whiskys from the Hedbrides have distictive tones of 'peat', particularly from places such as Islay. Therein lies the true difference in the taste of whisky, which is the water of the area it comes from.

Try me.

I think you're wrong about the spelling, Canadian Whisky, and Japanese Whisky are also spelt that way.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have not got a clue Google before you quote!

To Issangeorge, of course many distillers spell the product using the Scottish spelling, however, the origin of whisk(e)y comes from the Gaelic when the Irish used a slightly different translation from Scottish, and so the legend was born, so to speak,

It's derived from the Irish word Uisce Beatha (ishka ba ha)........Water of Life

Edited by I Like Thai
  • Like 1

To Issangeorge, of course many distillers spell the product using the Scottish spelling, however, the origin of whisk(e)y comes from the Gaelic when the Irish used a slightly different translation from Scottish, and so the legend was born, so to speak,

It's derived from the Irish word Uisce Beatha (ishka ba ha)........Water of Life

I love it. Say what you will about the Irish, but they sure got their water & life shit together! drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Edited by iSabai

I Like That: You are quite right, but the Irish name you mention is of Gaelic origin, a language common to both Ireland and Scotland but differing mainly as a dialect. Here is a derivation as can be found on your friend Google - "The term ‘whisky’ derives from the Gaelic usquebaugh – itself from the Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha, or the Irish Gaelic spelling uisce beatha. Uisce comes from the Old Irish for ‘water’ and beatha from bethad, meaning ‘of life’. With this in mind, whisky is etymologically linked with a great number of spirits, all of which refer to the origins of the spirit – the quest for the elixir of life."

In the mid 19th century, Scotland was producing a rather inferior product mainly for the export market. The Irish, believing their spirit was superior to that of the Scots introduced the "e" in order to differentiate between the countries of origin.

I Like That: You are quite right, but the Irish name you mention is of Gaelic origin, a language common to both Ireland and Scotland but differing mainly as a dialect. Here is a derivation as can be found on your friend Google - "The term ‘whisky’ derives from the Gaelic usquebaugh – itself from the Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha, or the Irish Gaelic spelling uisce beatha. Uisce comes from the Old Irish for ‘water’ and beatha from bethad, meaning ‘of life’. With this in mind, whisky is etymologically linked with a great number of spirits, all of which refer to the origins of the spirit – the quest for the elixir of life."

In the mid 19th century, Scotland was producing a rather inferior product mainly for the export market. The Irish, believing their spirit was superior to that of the Scots introduced the "e" in order to differentiate between the countries of origin.

The similarities in both Gaelic names would suggest that it was being distilled in Ireland BC. First mention of the Irish in Scotland was around 300 AD in a Roman document. They moved there in numbers from that time, bringing the language and traditions with them.

Or maybe the Picts of Scotland invented it and it was brought back by migrants of the day and given an Irish/Scoti name.

Edited by I Like Thai

Is there similar whiskies as Laphroaig (I love the smokiness) with a bit cheaper price range? Once saw the bottle at Super Cheap, but the price tag was 3000+ for 0.7l bottle.

Hopefully any time, can be whisk(e)y time smile.png

Get me a large one 2 ice cubes.

I was trying to figure out some way to memorise the difference between whiskey and whisky. You gave me a clue.

Whiskey accepts ice cubes.

Whisky (Scotch single malt) is pure form, on which some people might add few drops of water, but it still should be enjoyed as it is without blending.

How about the Thai whiskeys, which are consumed with ice, coke and soda?

I was trying to figure out some way to memorise the difference between whiskey and whisky. You gave me a clue.

Whiskey accepts ice cubes.

Whisky (Scotch single malt) is pure form, on which some people might add few drops of water, but it still should be enjoyed as it is without blending.

How about the Thai whiskeys, which are consumed with ice, coke and soda?

There are no Thai whisky"s.

• Like 2

You definitely got no idea about good whisky when you want to put ice in it... that is a crime and should be punishable with at least 2y of forced water drinking...

Who has the best selection on the Island? By that i mean in a bar/hotel etc......

If you talk about bars and hotels, you definitely need to go to the big international hotel chains (hilton and such), as they are the places where you find customers who can afford to pay for the quality imported single malts (remember the huge import taxes on those...)

With regards to spelling: Neither Whiskey nor Whisky is a protected description, thus everybody can use the spelling he likes. In general, Whisky is used in Scottland, Canada and Japan, while Whiskey is mostly used in Ireland and the US.

Protected descriptions are "Scotch Whisky", "Irish Whiskey", "Canadian Whisky" and "Tennessee Whiskey"

Whether you like Malts or Bourbons is up to your taste. Specialities like Rhy or Rice Whisk(e)y are again up to your taste, but most Malt Whisky drinkers will not touch anything else. And of course... all the blends (Malt and Grain) that are mostly good only for mixing into drinks...

Personally, I am a Single Malt person, prefer single casket, and if I have too much money left, then even single year....

Swiss1960 - proud member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society in Switzerland

No, never heard of such, but then I am not in Phuket too often. Maybe some private circles, but then again, you would probably find them in hotels where they have a big enough choice of malts.

Definitely, Scotch Malt Whisky Society does not list Thailand as one of the countries with local societies, but that is no wonder given the 60% import tax for Whisky into Thailand... no society could afford to import the needed number of different casks in order to fulfill it's obligations within the society.

You definitely got no idea about good whisky when you want to put ice in it... that is a crime and should be punishable with at least 2y of forced water drinking...

Not according to professional whisky tasters working in the industry.

Japanese single malts are right up there among the best with big exports world wide

• Like 1

Not according to professional whisky tasters working in the industry.

Japanese single malts are right up there among the best with big exports world wide

Never in my 30y of visiting distilleries or joining malt society events, I have ever seen ice on the table...

Ice will firstly kill all the flavours, because cold drinks (same with wine) can not emanate it's natural taste.

Professionals will add spring water to the whisky (specially for high %age whisky) by the drop, until the mixture will fit their taste / delight their sensors in the palate. Enthusiasts will even use water from the same spring that is used for the production of the Whisky.

While some need 1 drop, others might need 5 drops for the same whisky / same amount until it fits for them. And that is the second problem of an ice-cube, you can't control the amount of water that you personally need, the ice cube will just melt in full.