Tex Mex Cafe

Ulysses G.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since they only built the building 4 years ago and opened as Miguel's 3 years ago, you cannot really call that quite a few years.

The new menu has all the same dishes that the Miguels menu does but the physical menu itself is not presented nearly as professionally as Miguel's. I guess I could scan a picture of both to show you the difference but clearly you have your conception of what professional means and it isn't the same standard as mine.

My point was though that the business itself doesn't do well there and neither did it when it was Miguel's. I have never seen the place packed and there are days where they might have 4-5 customers all day. For what they must be paying for rent, I doubt that they could keep in business.

I'm sure they were open for more like 4+ years. I remember the evening of the opening party (barely) and my child wasn't even born yet. He is 4 now.

I think they did better than you imagine. As I recall, the initial rental contract was ridiculously cheap.

Since they only built the building 4 years ago and opened as Miguel's 3 years ago, you cannot really call that quite a few years.

The new menu has all the same dishes that the Miguels menu does but the physical menu itself is not presented nearly as professionally as Miguel's. I guess I could scan a picture of both to show you the difference but clearly you have your conception of what professional means and it isn't the same standard as mine.

My point was though that the business itself doesn't do well there and neither did it when it was Miguel's. I have never seen the place packed and there are days where they might have 4-5 customers all day. For what they must be paying for rent, I doubt that they could keep in business.

Actually, Miguel's opened on April 25th 2009. As a franchise, it had the benefit of a ready made and well produced image (which includes the menu) but to really pack them in in an out-of-town location you have to make the offering right for the local market. Franchise arrangements, although excellent in many respects, are inflexible - that being the whole point - and while the original Miguel's prospers in a high profile tourist area it's more of a stretch to make that work away from the Lonely Planet crowd. Dropping the franchise and widening the offering was an almost inevitable move and now that the Plaza 89 location has really started to buzz adding, say, pizza and pasta would probably double the number of visits we might make.

Sure, the menu is not produced as smartly as before, but really, who cares?

I wish them continuing good fortune, whatever they are called.

• Like 1

Food photograph and misleading if not totally false advertising, so far I'm having a calm day so don't get me started ... "serenity now"

My comment was just an attempt at humor at my general disgust all the ridiculous food photos on menus and ads here that show little or no resemblance to the food that is actually served. Quite a few times I thought that perhaps they served me the wrong dish but I was just told "that's just a picture"!

My experience with Miguels is that it's not authentic enough, the last time I ate at the 89 Plaza location the burrito had sauce poured all over it so one could not eat it with ones hands as should be. They seem to just give you something Mexican like w/o differentiating the simple differences of the basic dishes. Regular Mexican cuisine has some basic ingredients put together in different combinations with different preparations, some fried while other grilled for instance, not that hard to do. For example the old one of Nim put lettuce inside the burrito and then cooked it like a panini so it was crunch on the outside with wilted greens on the inside, this is not how to make a burrito.

I also agree one should not comment on a place if they haven't been there and I won't until I try it first. But as people mentioned Miguels a lot I threw in my 2 bht there.

Edited by junglechef

Food photograph and misleading if not totally false advertising, so far I'm having a calm day so don't get me started ... "serenity now"

My comment was just an attempt at humor at my general disgust all the ridiculous food photos on menus and ads here that show little or no resemblance to the food that is actually served. Quite a few times I thought that perhaps they served me the wrong dish but I was just told "that's just a picture"!

My experience with Miguels is that it's not authentic enough, the last time I ate at the 89 Plaza location the burrito had sauce poured all over it so one could not eat it with ones hands as should be. They seem to just give you something Mexican like w/o differentiating the simple differences of the basic dishes. Regular Mexican cuisine has some basic ingredients put together in different combinations with different preparations, some fried while other grilled for instance, not that hard to do. For example the old one of Nim put lettuce inside the burrito and then cooked it like a panini so it was crunch on the outside with wilted greens on the inside, this is not how to make a burrito.

I also agree one should not comment on a place if they haven't been there and I won't until I try it first. But as people mentioned Miguels a lot I threw in my 2 bht there.

Food pictures are often just stolen from the internet and are meaningless, as you say. However, what is just as irritating are the claims I see (mostly in the US, by the way) of "world famous" applied to bog standard coffee, ribs, clams, burritos and just about anything of mediocre quality you care to think of. Pretty much as meaningless as an apostrophe on Thai Visa wink.png

My experience with Miguels is that it's not authentic enough, the last time I ate at the 89 Plaza location the burrito had sauce poured all over it so one could not eat it with ones hands as should be.

It is called a wet burrito and they are authentic enough. I just prefer the dry ones, which are also available at Miguel's. Lettuce in a burrito is also common in some places. The renown Mission district burritos often have lettuce inside. I do like lettuce in my burrito, although, I will admit that it does not sound like it would be good. Maybe you have to have grown up on them.

• Like 1

My experience with Miguels is that it's not authentic enough, the last time I ate at the 89 Plaza location the burrito had sauce poured all over it so one could not eat it with ones hands as should be.

It is called a wet burrito and they are authentic enough. I just prefer the dry ones, which are also available at Miguel's. Lettuce in a burrito is also common in some places. The renown Mission district burritos often have lettuce inside. I do like lettuce in my burrito, although, I will admit that it does not sound like it would be good. Maybe you have to have grown up on them.

Thanks for the info, interesting I've never heard of a wet (or smothered or swiss ((suizo)) burrito), learn something new everyday. If it looks like an enchilada, tastes like a enchilada ... just kidding it seems to be similar but with a flour tortilla. Perhaps it's another

Tex-Am thing? So maybe it's not authentic Mexican but I don't expect that here, only in my dreams! Love Tex-Mex etc too so anything good is good with me.

As for lettuce inside my point is that the tortilla should be steamed or lightly grilled to make it pliable, not crunchy and hot resulting in the lettuce wilting.

For the record I like rice, beans (not refried), meat, cheese and salsa fresco in that order starting from the bottom up inside a flour tortilla that has been over an open fire if possible.

• Like 1

A traditional burrito in Mexico was just a tortila wrapped around meat or beans. To me, they are kind of boring. The ones that most people want are the ones that Mexican immigrants started making in America when they had more money to spend. I LOVE rice, beans, cheese and guacamole on mine.

I agree that I would prefer steamed tortillas but, the (overly?) grilled ones don't bother me much, considering all the years that Chiang Mai had no decent Mexican food at all.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

It also has a less politically correct nickname.

Just for the record, when I first moved to San Francisco, I worked in a combination burrito joint and sandwich shop. The owner was Mexican American. They did really nice wet burritos with mole sauces that were great. I remember that they used to get illegals to carry over the ingredients from Mexico including Mexican chocolate- it does not sound that good, but it is.

I just read recently that the owner went to Federal prison for employing so many illegal immigrants. He also sold large amounts of cocaine, but, apparently, he never got caught for that.

"As for the menu I have never eaten there"

End of discussion right there. How can you really engage in any kind of discussion if you haven't actually been there?

This is not Miguels any longer. So you cannot compare it to the one on the moat as that is still Miguels.

Actually Tex Mex is my favorite style but I do like authentic Mexican also as I lived with Mexicans immigrants for over 2 years in my youth.

Personally, I find most people don't actually have taste buds that can truly differentiate between mediocre and good. If you can eat any pre packaged foods, canned, boxed or tinned and still think that they taste good, you have no refined sense of taste. The average person really couldn't tell the difference between 3 star cuisine and 5 star. So if someone tastes good to you that is great but don't expect others to really think the same.

I have eaten there when it was Miguels and when it switched over about 1 month ago. The food is not quite as good as before. Similar recipes for certain but the cooks are not the same so the flavors won't always be the same. If they keep the same cook, they could easily improve in a year or so. The prices did go up from what Miguel's was charging last year but don't know if the new owner raised the prices or Miguel's did before they sold it.

Your words not mine

"The new menu has all the same dishes that the Miguels menu does but the physical menu itself is not presented nearly as professionally as Miguel's."

I was merely pointing out the pettiness about comparing the physical menu's. Rather than the food on them. I see no point in it as I have said I have eaten some very good food in Mexico that had some pretty crummy looking physical menus.

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time observing them. Especially for some one who has taken the time to learn the difference in taste between 3 star and 5 star food. I merely stated that I liked the menu when it was up on the board better than the one that was printed up at the Miguel's." on the moat. Yes you are right I would have to go to Tex Mex to compare there looks. But being as they are two different type restaurants I would expect them to look different. You know Tex Mes as compared to Mexican. Quite naturally the taste is going to change when you change the origin.

If an Italian restaurant changed to a Greek one would you still expect the same taste.

Mexican food and all of the varities of mexican food takes a great balance of spices to do it right. You cannot just get recipes off the internet and think it will succeed. Their salsa is quite watered down and bitter. It isn't quite a fresh salsa and isn't quite a cooked.

Their enchiladas were pretty good and so were their soft tacos. However, I still think that when it was Miguel's it was slightly better. But still I wouldn't even compare with any real tex mex place that I used to eat at in Texas or Oklahoma for that matter. Still slightly better than taco bell garbage.

I actually do wish him success but think that it will be an uphill battle. My whole point about the Menus was that when it was Miguel's at least it had the ambiance and feel of a professional place. If I am going to pay 3-4 times what I would pay for a local meal, I at least want to be fooled that they are professional restauranteurs not someone that flipped a coin on to buy a bar or a resturaunt.

Yes if there were 5- 6 mexican behind the counter that were all trained by mama, I wouldn't care much about the menus or atmosphere. But the issue is that the food is mediocre at best so it will need some edge to draw the customers. The Miguel's on the moat really seemed to do good and consistent business, but the 89 plaza never really did. No matter what the old owner said if it was successful, she wouldn't have given it up. I would be surprised if she actually got her investment back plus enough to live comfortably in the less than 4 years they were open.

I know that I am a long winded bast*rd but its similar to this. My family and I went to a very expensive Thai place here in Chiang Mai. They served all the northern local dishes that you can get in the market or places like HuaPhen for cheap. For 300baht they had a Kantoke platter that had 4 pieces of sai Uah, a thimble full of Namprik Aong, 6 crumbs of Kap mu, A couple spoons of Laab. We also ordered the Hinlay (which they didn't even make it was the recipe that is sold at the shop next to Holiday Inn, which is the best Hinlay I have ever had) There were a few dishes like that which they order from a local shop and then resold for 4-5 times the price. There were a few dishes that they did there that were excellent. However this place was packed and 99% of all customers are Thai. It is not a tourist trap just a very elegant place. For 10 of us we paid over 8k baht (no drinks besides water). The only thing that set this place apart was its professionalism, ambiance, and precision for other details. Now if they put that much effort into the cooking, I would eat there every week.

The overall point that I was trying to make and still trying to make, is that the original Miguel's there at 89 plaza struggled even though they had slightly more of a professional atmosphere. The food was slightly better but not by much. So I just meant that if this place wants to survive it needs to step up slightly better.

Making a mixed menu is usually the worst thing most eateries can do. Jungle Chef should back me up on this. When you make a diverse menu without continuity it is hard to keep the same standard for all dishes not to mention timing of the orders for a table. Places that limit their menu typically do better. I know as a customer I hate when I get a text book thick menu with 1000 dishes.

By the way, I love food, I love talking about food, I love the history of food, I love studying the trade routes of migratory people throughout history to see how food has changed. So forgive me my long winded rambles.

• Like 1

I was formulating my response as I read,, to nobody's great surprise, even before I saw I was mentioned, guess it takes one to know one smile.png .

I agree that having a menu of multiple cuisines doesn't work for a number of reasons including the different skill, equipment etc. to prepare them, the necessity of need to stock more different ingredients effecting freshness, inventory costs etc. and other operational reasons. Also the flavors don't go together and there nothing like seeing a patron's buffet plate stacked with sushi, tacos and lasagna to make me lose my appetite. (Of course this does not apply when there is one or two Thai dishes at Western restaurant here for the native diner who doesn't care for non-local food or a kid's dish or two). I also dislike a huge menu, even if it's all of the same cuisine as I'm hungry and do not want to have to spend ages just figuring out the menu even before deciding what to eat. One of my favorite adages from the kitchen is less is better which can apply to the whole restaurant's philosophy.

Another aspect is the phycological factor that people think something is good because it's expensive. This works with many products (branding) but with something with so many factors and opinions as food, for the many who are not gourmets they can easily be lead to believe that they are getting what they pay for when in fact it can just be played with the snob factor.

I find it funny that you correctly state that one cannot just get a recipe off the internet and it will come out restaurant quality, i.e. worthy of charging for, as I have multiple times here wished and prayed for some of these kitchen personnel (I dare not call then Chef's and even cooks can be a stretch sometimes) to just look up what they are trying to create to see what it is.

I'm also with you on that when paying more you should get more including the menu, decor, service etc. Another kitchen saying is "presentation is everything" but in reality "everything is everything" (you can quote me on that - lol) so everything and every aspect of the dining experience should be in accordance to what one is paying. Of course there are exceptions, that fabulous hidden Chef driven hole-in-the-wall sushi place that's expensive because they put all their investment in the best quality fish (sorry I was experiencing R.E.M.) but for a franchise or a place that models themselves after one a clean and sensibly laid out menu is not too much to ask. But in my estimation you hit it right one the nose, too many of the restaurants here are not operated by people with the necessary experience. There is a huge difference opening a sunglass shop and a Mexican cantina. One does not have to know how to cook but does have to know how to hire a Chef (my test was to ask them to make me an omelette, something simple but shows the way they understand heat, if their movement has purpose etc.) and be able to tell if they can do the job, understand service etc.

For an example just yesterday I was eating a "burrito" (if it DOESN"T look like a ...) after reading this thread I got a hankering for Mex food I went out for some. The waitress brought my food to another patron because of some miscommunication between the kitchen, runner and waitress. As the customer was waiting for her companions meal to arrive before starting to eat she had not started yet and when her friends meal came along with her dish the waitress realized she had mine and just took it from in front of the other customer and placed it in front of me. Since it had been breathed on and I don't know what else for at least ten minuets (my dining companion had already finished their food) it wasn't appetizing to me anymore and I asked for a new one. After all sorts of confusion with other staff involved the owner came out and yelled at everyone in the place upsetting everyone at my table, the other table and the then crying waitress. The problem arose because there was a lack of training, systems or both, but it became my problem as I was repeatedly asked what they should do after I had already initially politely requested what I preferred. On top of that it was suggested that I was lying and the owner even interrogated the other shocked customer on the facts (after he left the room I went over and tried to make them feel better including telling them the owner has alway in the past been friendly which they scoffed at). The idea is to anticipate a customers needs not to abuse and insult them for your own mistakes. As to the nature of my request to me it was one of basic health and sanitation but if the establishment didn't feel I was being reasonable they could have calmly told me. Bad food, bad service,

in-hospitality for 500 bht for messy plates of half-inedible food (I'll save you from a full description) is often the state of dining in our fare city.

I also like all the aspect of food as you mentioned and enjoy your posts but I wouldn't worry about getting to be know as the long winded rambling food poster as you still have a way to go before you unseat me in that department.

• 11 months later...

how many times a month do you want to eat Mexican food, however good?

In California, I had a burrito something like 5 days a week for years, but they were REALLY good!

I have to agree with this. In Vegas I ate Roberto's regularly.

A better question might be, how often do you not want to eat Mexican?

Found this thread because the place is much closer than Miguel's (am in Saraphi at the moment). May give it a try tonight, but if it's garbage, may opt for the trip to cm.

Anyone eaten there recently?

Not to go a little off topic, ok to go a little off topic and definitely just to make everyone jealous I had the best Mole lunch with homemade tortillas and everything prepared by a kitchen full of 5 Mexican women last weekend right here in Chiang Mai. It was the real deal and on par with some very good meals I've had in Mexico. I usually am happily forthcoming but don't even ask this time!

• Like 1

Having moved here from Austin TX I would love to find good Tex Mex. It seems that any place that advertises American food misses the mark by Thai - in it up. Does anyone know where realistic American food is. Every once in a while I want Italian, cajun, pizza, cheeseburgers. Mmmmmmmmmm

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does anyone know where realistic American food is.

IMO, the Duke's has the best American-style pizza in Thailand and a bunch of other things too.

Butter is Better has great American bakery products, pastrami/corned beef and REAL 100% beef hotdogs.

Miguel's is the most authentic Mexican in town IMO, but California style - not Tex Mex.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not sure what 'realistic american food' is but I am guessing that KFC, McDonalds, Burger King and Subway dont meet your requirements?

Despite comments above, I think Texmex at Plaza 89 is good but we all have different tastes. We were taken to Dukes, near Rimping Village TexMex night (tuesday?) recently and I dint enjoy that as much as Plaza 89, but as it is almost sacrilegious to negatively comment on Dave's food, no doubt I will be swiftly corrected.

For Italian, try ArcoBaleno and Lapin-google will find them.

Or buy the ingredients at Rimping.........

Thanks. I've only been here 6 weeks and thought Tesco was my only choice. That's a drawback of moving here by myself not knowing anyone. Directions? I can't see out of the red truck or the tuk tuks so I usually have no idea where I am. That being said, I'm one happy camper.

IMO, the Duke's has the best American-style pizza in Thailand and a bunch of other things too.

Butter is Better has great American bakery products, pastrami/corned beef and REAL 100% beef hotdogs.

Miguel's is the most authentic Mexican in town IMO, but California style - not Tex Mex.

I like the crust of the Duke's pizza but the sauce is too sweet. Possibly a concession to Thai tastes. My favorite pizza in Chiang Mai is Pizza 'n Pasta. They do a very creditable version of NY Pizza. Actually better than a lot of pizza now on offer in NYC. They even deliver locally. Here's their website: http://www.pizzanpastacnx.com/

I like the crust of the Duke's pizza but the sauce is too sweet.

I've never noticed that. Could it be due to the tomatoes? One of my favorite spaghetti places is inconsistent in that regard and the owner says that at certain times of year, local tomatoes are a little too sweet and that she can't control it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

3 Little Pigs should be on the short list as well for 'American Food'. They have all kinds of good stuff and large portions http://www.3-little-pigs.biz/

• Like 1

My fav American style pizza is also Pizza & Pasta. I would suggest trying Pun Pun for other down-home American grub (just look for ThePunPun here on Thaivisa or pm them or Gonzo the Face who is the man behind the madness there).

Nothing in the way of Mex, Cajun or a decent burger to be found here, sure some just ok ones but if you haven't been away from home for years good chance it will just be a disappointment which with the same money you could have be used it for an excellent Thai meal.

Edited by junglechef

So umm.. Back on the topic of Tex Mex cm-lamphun road.

Anyone eaten there recently and can comment?

I like Miguel's, but if can eat at TeX Mex and get near the same food quality and portions, I'm all in.

yep -eat there a couple of times a week.

We like the food, people and ambience-and draft beer.

• Like 2