Tex Mex Cafe

Ulysses G.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the crust of the Duke's pizza but the sauce is too sweet.

I've never noticed that. Could it be due to the tomatoes? One of my favorite spaghetti places is inconsistent in that regard and the owner says that at certain times of year, local tomatoes are a little too sweet and that she can't control it.

She could add less or no sugar when tomatoes are sweeter.

That's what I do anyway: figure out where no the scale from sour to sweet tomatoes end up after simmering for an hour at least, and then adjust as needed. What's she's saying is that she (or the cook) is a recipe-zombie who always adds X amount of ingredients as described, without getting an actual feel of the fresh ingredients, which naturally varies depending on the time of year, variety and terroir.

Always in motion, taste is.

• Like 2

Well put Winnie, I simmer my tomato sauce for 3 hrs to balance out the acids with the natural sugars in the fruit. But when I can't find suitable fresh product I'll buy canned tomatoes for my sauce as I'm interested in getting the best results. The most important thing while cooking is tasting, tasting and tasting which is often not done here and if done can be confused with only trying or even just having a bite w/o really tasting. Even then one has to have the skill to know what to taste for and then what to do to adjust it along with seasoning to get the desired result. This is one of the many professional skills a Chef should have but there just aren't many people cooking in restaurant here that I would consider being competent in Western cuisine.