Thai brothers behind luxury car scam to pay fine

webfact

Brothers behind car scam to pay fine
The Nation

30211975-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Nareunart and Thanan Kuansawat, two brothers believed to be part of a luxury-car scam, agreed yesterday to pay a fine for evading car import taxes.

They also heard the two extra charges put before them by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) yesterday.

Charges the brothers face are conspiring to forge official documents and using them, which is punishable by three years in jail, and conspiring to manufacture and import cars without permission.

The Customs Department will set up a panel to consider the fine, which could be up to four times the price of the car. Authorities will continue to search for others who might be involved.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-06

• Like 1

Why do I have the feeling that they'll still end up in profit. coffee1.gif

The fine will be nothing like the quoted maximum penalty as I'm sure the panel will be quite " understanding " then issue an appropriate ridiculous reason why the brothers weren't hammered.

• Like 1

Why do I have the feeling that they'll still end up in profit. coffee1.gif

The fine will be nothing like the quoted maximum penalty as I'm sure the panel will be quite " understanding " then issue an appropriate ridiculous reason why the brothers weren't hammered.

If the right persons get a car, it will go over .......

Hey guys and gals, lets not be too hasty....major players in the UK and Europe get fined with no prison sentences too, look at all the bankers and business elite who bankrupt companies after siphoning off millions to personal accounts in the caymans and other TFH's, corruption is rife through out the world at present, its just some countries have really learned how to hide it.

• Like 1

They will get off lightly because they have been doing business with the rich and (in)famous, who will make sure things go quiet.

The cops don't want to follow a paper or money trail because who knows where it might lead.

• Like 1

....super deal.....make 10's or 100's of million dollars....for years...pay no taxes all around....so, bilk the country too.....

....finally get 'caught'....apologize.....and pay a token fine......

....another example of Thai 'justice'......

(....thankfully they couldn't pin anything on a westerner this time.....yet....)

They don't seem to concerned in the photo. They actually look quite smug and very happy with the outcome.

"could be up to four times the price of "THE" car. So I assume they are talking about a single car imported by the two brothers. Appears they (DSI) have really smashed this organised racket.

What sort of message does a fine send to organised crime rackets like this? If it carries a custodial sentence and a heavy fine then why not impose the penalty? While they are at it seize all their assets as the proceeds of crime and send a very firm and clear message others that they are serious about crime and this won't be tolerated. All they are doing is giving the green light and business advice to put a little away in a sludge fund for a fine if we come knocking.

The message it sends is- T.I.T

Hey guys and gals, lets not be too hasty....major players in the UK and Europe get fined with no prison sentences too, look at all the bankers and business elite who bankrupt companies after siphoning off millions to personal accounts in the caymans and other TFH's, corruption is rife through out the world at present, its just some countries have really learned how to hide it.

I think it's different in the West,, if they siphon off millions which is stolen then they go to prison (when convicted). The problem with the west is some people abuse the system legally,, morally it may be wrong but more often then not they are not actually breaking any current laws, at least that's my impression of the things I have seen. It has to change somehow but to me there is clearly more corruption here then where i come from. These 2 guys did something that is very clearly illegal and the feeling from people posting here is that they will likely get away very lightly. That could be perceived as simple corruption.

• Like 1