Aug 2013 - new rules mean delays at Hull Consulate for in-person retirement visa applicants

I made an appointment to visit the Hull (UK) Thai Consulate to pick up an over-50 O Visa on Aug 5th.

When I arrived there with bank statements, etc, I was told that the rules allowing these visas to be issued while one waits have been changed by order of the London Thai Embassy, which now wants to vet all such applications before the Consulate can issue such visas.

Leaving aside the irritation at my wasted journey (the Consulate, knowing the reason for my appointment, could have warned me of the change, but chose not to), I want to save other people making a wasted journey, and also to factor in a longer wait for visas issued by post.

From my perspective, the only reason to use Hull - on the spot visa issuance - has disappeared.

Correct - this was an application for a multi-entry visa. The consulate official did not say she could have granted a single entry on the spot, but I didn't ask.

I ended up getting a 3 x 60 day tourist visa as the only usable (but obviously inferior) option.

The pre-approval by embassy started mid July.

Latest report is that it took 4 days to get the visa.

In all probability it is a management problem, someone in the London Embassy feels they needs to be seen to be doing something, thus justifying their existence (and possibly he/she thinks warranting promotion), happens all the time - all over and is becoming more tiresome and unnecessary.

Happens due to crap management, people who are not sure how they got the job, haven't a clue and are terrified of loosing it (if it ain't bust, don't fix it) - The UK is plagued with it.

• Like 1

Judging from the above reports and other reports about applying directly to the Thai Consulate in London, does this mean that it is still quicker (4 days) and more convenient to apply to Hull than to appply in person to the London consulate (somebody mentioned more than 1 week and rude service?).

Since the consular section of the Thai embassy apparently does not accept applications by mail it would seem more convenient to apply to Hull by mail.

When applying at the embassy in person, perforce, do they send your passport with the visa back to you by mail or do you have to pick it up in person, and within what period?

When applying at the embassy in person, perforce, do they send your passport with the visa back to you by mail or do you have to pick it up in person, and within what period?

Based on my experience 5 years ago, I had to return to the Embassy after 2 days to collect my passport with O-A visa duly affixed. No problem for me since I lived in London at that time.

In practice, it is probably now pointless to apply for an O visa by mail to Hull if you live in the London area - but, instead, subject yourself to the "delights" of a cramped basement in South Kensington!sad.png

Edited by OJAS

• 2 weeks later...

Have there been any other reports regarding Hull only giving single entry Non O visa based on marriage to a Thai instead of multi entries?

I read it somewhere but can't find the thread.

There have been no reports of multiple entries not being issued. Just that they have to be approved by embassy.

OP was at Hull when he was informed about new policy and chose to get a tourist visa because he did not want to wait for approval.

Have there been any other reports regarding Hull only giving single entry Non O visa based on marriage to a Thai instead of multi entries?

There have been no reports of multiple entries not being issued. Just that they have to be approved by embassy.

OP was at Hull when he was informed about new policy and chose to get a tourist visa because he did not want to wait for approval.

I'm sure I read that only single entries were issued now and one had to apply for an extension during that 90 day visa, showing the 400k financials, or maybe it was a bad dreamsad.png .

I hope not otherwise I'll go to Savannakhet again.

I'm sure I read that only single entries were issued now and one had to apply for an extension during that 90 day visa, showing the 400k financials, or maybe it was a bad dreamPosted Image .

I hope not otherwise I'll go to Savannakhet again.

I think that was in a topic about the KL embassy.

For the OP, the Hull Consulate and any other for that matter, are not duty bound to inform anyone PERSONALLY of the new regulations. They have posted the changes on their website and word of mouth spreads via this and similar forums. Thai Immigration rules are always in a state of flux and the onus is on the applicant to inquire and ask which once again, the OP failed to do regarding the single-entry visa.

The person in post #5 called ahead and verified what the new regulations entailed.

NB. On arrival, the OP needs to check the validity of the stamp that has just been placed in his passport by the Immigration Officer BEFORE he leaves the baggage claim area.

For the OP, the Hull Consulate and any other for that matter, are not duty bound to inform anyone PERSONALLY of the new regulations. They have posted the changes on their website and word of mouth spreads via this and similar forums. Thai Immigration rules are always in a state of flux and the onus is on the applicant to inquire and ask which once again, the OP failed to do regarding the single-entry visa.

The person in post #5 called ahead and verified what the new regulations entailed.

NB. On arrival, the OP needs to check the validity of the stamp that has just been placed in his passport by the Immigration Officer BEFORE he leaves the baggage claim area.

Just want to re-enforce this message. I now check religiously, before leaving the immigration booth area, as I know of two friends who had the wrong date stamped in the passport. Usually, it is a case of the IO not seeing the visa and stamping you in for 30 days.

Also, I was very lucky with Hull. I was on a months holiday to the UK and made an appointment to get my new Non-Imm O on 5th July.

I too have recently noticed the several changes recently (1/8/2013) made to the visa application docs available from the Royal Thai Consulate Hull web site.

Sadly, some of the changes have now resulted in an apparent failure of joined up thinking.

What a pity, they were so good for so long.

Like the OP said, I smell the hand of outside agencies here. I'm just about to post a new thread outlining my two major concerns. This post will be mainly in the form of my email enquiry sent to RTCH last Thursday.

It's now Tuesday pm, and I've received no reply from RTCH.

Fortunately, I've got about 9 weeks to try and discover what's what; for when I'm in the UK again in November, and looking for the next visa.

See post "Royal Thai Consulate Hull visa application requirement changes August 2013"