New Isuzu Highlander

Review of the New Isuzu Highlander: 3L, 4DR, 2WD, AT after 16 months and 60,000 Km

I have been very pleased with it. The only quality issue I have had was with a seam in the leather shotgun seat starting to split in the first month. I showed them at the first service, and it took a couple weeks to get it, but they sent a couple guys to my plant with a new cover and changed it out. I never really liked the color of the leather, but I have warmed up to it and the quality seems great, and having power-adjust is a plus. I also like the rest of the new interior both aesthetically and ergonomically. There a lot of well thought out, minor ergonomic changes, including improved and increased storage.

The Nav/entertainment system is fine, and it includes Bluetooth. I like having Bluetooth so much that I don’t think I would buy a daily driver without it. The new back-up camera (unlike the old one) is very useful as they have added guide lines. Controls on the radio/Nav take a little getting used to, but I understand this has been addressed in subsequent units.

The new onboard computer provides a lot of information that I like including average and instantaneous mileage, average speed, hour meter, service meter etc.

Power and economy was greatly improved. I know some here talk about how Isuzu’s engine is old and feeble, but I drove most every 4DR pickup available, and that is not my experience. I did like the Ford a little better, but the long lead-time and lack of good service locally put me off.

The only things I don’t like about it are the lack of cruise-control and the color of the leather. I have it fitted with a Sammitr SUV Plus steel canopy, which I don’t really like the look of, but the S-Plus V2 which I think is much better looking does not fit the new model. That said, the inside of the SUV Plus is nicer than the older model.

As indicated previously, power and economy were significantly inproved in the new model. My old unit with virtually the same configuration got 9.5 Km/L and the new unit gets 12.8. That’s an unbelievable 35% improvement. Power and top end speed are much better as well. Top speed per GPS on the old unit was 144 and it’s 153 on the new model.

Fuel economy per onboard computer: 13.2 Km/L

Actual fuel economy: 12.81 Km/L (29.7MPG, 7.81 L/100Km)

I still drive the old one occasionally as it is a company vehicle, and I am always amazed at how crappy if feels after driving the new one.

Service at Isuzu is great, and I have both the oil and filter changed at every service, and the service costs are listed below:

10,000 Km Service: THB 1,079

20,000 Km Service: THB 995

30,000 Km Service: THB 1,104

40,000 Km Service: THB 3,384

50,000 Km Service: THB 1,065

60,000 Km Service: THB 2,498

Thinking about the new MU7 when it comes out...

Well, I agree with all you said except for the Kenwood System ... yes the functions are there but the touch screen is difficult to use ,,, I have problems with it, but it is a complete nightmare form my wife as her nails are somewhat longer than mine. The touch area for the function is just too small and it easily reverts back to menu. No wonder Isuze threw it out and put a better system in for 2013 models.

Top speed 153km/h?

I dont understand this too, I have a 2010 3.0 vgs 4 door manual 2wd highlander and on trips from Lampang to Chonburi when conditions are suitable can do 140k-150k on minimul throttle, and the fuel consumption on a trip like this would be at least 12km/ltr even though the truck is being pushed for the whole 700km.The usual average consumption being around 15k/l.+

Not fully loaded with 4 Adult Passengers,and 500 Kilos of Mangoes as designed for it won't. More like 7.

Up until the last time I filled it up, I’d driven 61,017 Km

Not counting the first fill up, it has used 4,767.03 liters of fuel

I don’t haul mangos, but I most always have passengers and often haul stampings, tools and equipment.

Not fully loaded with 4 Adult Passengers,and 500 Kilos of Mangoes as designed for it won't. More like 7.

Up until the last time I filled it up, I’d driven 61,017 Km

Not counting the first fill up, it has used 4,767.03 liters of fuel

I don’t haul mangos, but I most always have passengers and often haul stampings, tools and equipment.

Old Meets Young again, im not argueing,just that you younger ones are allways stretching points.My Kids Trailblazer outperforms anything on the Road. One thing about being older is you dont have to worry if its 12 or 20 KPL.thumbsup.gif

Top speed 153km/h?

Tried it again this week and I got it to 169 KPH with the engine turning at just under 3,000RPM.

I assume the speed is limited by the onboard computer, so I am surprised it’s gone up so much since it was new.

Top speed 153km/h?

Tried it again this week and I got it to 169 KPH with the engine turning at just under 3,000RPM.

I assume the speed is limited by the onboard computer, so I am surprised it’s gone up so much since it was new.

I take it you performed these high speeds on a closed racing circuit... blink.png

Top speed 153km/h?

I take it you performed these high speeds on a closed racing circuit... blink.png

Actually, it was on an open stretch of 331 coming back from Laem Chabang in the late afternoon, no load, all by myself.

Top speed 153km/h?

Actually, it was on an open stretch of 331 coming back from Laem Chabang in the late afternoon, no load, all by myself.

105 MPH.Ahh well.

.... Trailblazer outperforms anything on the Road...

Such a broad standalone statement!

As we can see, it seems as though this forum's more cerebrally endowed readers wisely overlook such, but since it's a nice slow Sunday morning and a couple hours of yard work awaits me at the conclusion of this internet session, I'll bite (this time):

Are you referring to the new Trailblazer sold here in LOS?

Does this Trailblazer have any mods? What are its specs - the 2.8L? (What color is it?)

If so, in exactly which way(s) do you believe the Trailblazer, 'Outperforms anything on the road'? coffee1.gif

You're lucky! I made that trip a few weeks ago and was smiling to myself at my good fortune of not having been interrupted by the usual police road blocks. The smile turned into a frown when I received a speeding ticket in the mail(!) from the Highway police complete with a photo of the front of my SUV!

If you have not yet, (or don't), receive a speeding ticket in the mail, feel lucky! BTW, it was a THB 400 fine for my 120 km/h infraction - THB 70 additional if not paid within the allocated time frame.

Indeed, those Isuzus are among the best out there!!

Never owned one, but used it a lot..different ones and never had any problems.

I second this one!! clap2.giflaugh.png

Edited by thailoht

Yeah, overall the vehicle is excellent, good build quality, comfortable, good performance and economical. The only downside and it is serious is that the media centre now installed is from Clarion whereas the previous one and that was ordered was Kenwood, vastly superior. Be warned the Isuzu / Clarion has many bugs, including poor and outdated mapping, routing errors, failure to recognise telephone numbers in contacts if they are are suffixed with ±nn for country code as mine are as I travel internationally. For playing music it's fine but don't expect much else. Be prepared to rip if out or use a Garmin. The savings Isuzu must have reaped out of this deal must be enormous. Not using a good quality Thailand map like ESRI is unforgivable. They expect us to wait a year before they will fix, amazing. Makes you wonder what the attitude would be if the engine had design defects.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, overall the vehicle is excellent, good build quality, comfortable, good performance and economical. The only downside and it is serious is that the media centre now installed is from Clarion whereas the previous one and that was ordered was Kenwood, vastly superior. Be warned the Isuzu / Clarion has many bugs, including poor and outdated mapping, routing errors, failure to recognize telephone numbers in contacts if they are are suffixed with ±nn for country code as mine are as I travel internationally. For playing music it's fine but don't expect much else. Be prepared to rip if out or use a Garmin. The savings Isuzu must have reaped out of this deal must be enormous. Not using a good quality Thailand map like ESRI is unforgivable. They expect us to wait a year before they will fix, amazing. Makes you wonder what the attitude would be if the engine had design defects.

Hold those thoughts because you will need this exact type of perception in order to: 1) Understand-Rationalize, and then to, 2) Cope with these types of things in your everyday living here ....

As a Kenwood user, you are 100% correct with the comparison with Clarion and, I suppose, about the cost savings to Isuzu. It is a shame, but socio-Economics demand this type of behavior that we see played out in the market place here.

Edited by thailoht

Yeah, overall the vehicle is excellent, good build quality, comfortable, good performance and economical. The only downside and it is serious is that the media centre now installed is from Clarion whereas the previous one and that was ordered was Kenwood, vastly superior. Be warned the Isuzu / Clarion has many bugs, including poor and outdated mapping, routing errors, failure to recognize telephone numbers in contacts if they are are suffixed with ±nn for country code as mine are as I travel internationally. For playing music it's fine but don't expect much else. Be prepared to rip if out or use a Garmin. The savings Isuzu must have reaped out of this deal must be enormous. Not using a good quality Thailand map like ESRI is unforgivable. They expect us to wait a year before they will fix, amazing. Makes you wonder what the attitude would be if the engine had design defects.

Hold those thoughts because you will need this exact type of perception in order to: 1) Understand-Rationalize, and then to, 2) Cope with these types of things in your everyday living here ....

As a Kenwood user, you are 100% correct with the comparison with Clarion and, I suppose, about the cost savings to Isuzu. It is a shame, but socio-Economics demand this type of behavior that we see played out in the market place here.

Gee, and I'm unhappy with the Kenwood ... it wiped out all my favorites one day ... Kenwood loaded new software and said it wouldn't happen again and it hasn't so far. You can't download the favorites file ... and if you are not extremely accurate with your finger then it jumps back to the Menu page. Other than that the V-Cross that I have is absolutely fine.